HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Oan

vCash: 500
Barkov ranked third in the latest draft rankings from The Hockey News:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-rankings.html

Old
11-15-2012, 07:47 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post

Wow he's high on Nurse, over Pulock. Lindholm rising but not over Barkov

Old
11-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Hirmu

Quote:

I like when they use Sasha instead of Alex or Alexander.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaunaMajuri View Post
Yes I know there is highlights but I want to see whole game or two. I have seen several Tappara game and that last one against TPS made me think that Barkov is ready atleast for EHT.. When 17year old boy looks better than stanley cup winner, NHL team captain or many other NHL player in same game, we can say that he is something special...
Yeah, same time Finnish coach Jukka Jalonen is complaining Finnish National team quality of passes at EHT...

Take Barkov... and you will get those quality passes. From tape to tape.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:42 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Domi at 28th....I am Jack's dumbfounded brain

Old
11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Yeah, same time Finnish coach Jukka Jalonen is complaining Finnish National team quality of passes at EHT...

Take Barkov... and you will get those quality passes. From tape to tape.
He probably would've but the agreement was to not pick U20-eligible players for EHT as the juniors had their own tournament in Sundsvall at the same time.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Oan

Assist for Barkov with only 51 seconds played against JYP.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:13 PM
ponder

Anyone have a stream for the game?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Tuomaz

Craig Button is tweeting about the game again.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
thomast

Craig Button states that Barkov right now is darn close to be NHL-ready(he just turned 17 2 months go) by next october he will be definetly NHL-ready according to Button. I fully agree with him. Barkov was FEL ready as 16 year old, played U-20 league as 15 year old. Have there been many NHL-players who have played their entire first season as 18 year old? Barkov has very good chances to do it.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:58 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Craig Button states that Barkov right now is darn close to be NHL-ready(he just turned 17 2 months go) by next october he will be definetly NHL-ready according to Button. I fully agree with him. Barkov was FEL ready as 16 year old, played U-20 league as 15 year old. Have there been many NHL-players who have played their entire first season as 18 year old? Barkov has very good chances to do it.
Seems to happen once every few years, guys like RNH, Skinner and Crosby all spring to mind in terms of post-lockout examples. It also depends on your birthday, since it's only possible for players born between mid April and mid September.

Regardless, I agree with Button, Barkov looks more or less NHL ready right now. Offensively he's already at a 2nd-3rd line level, physically he's very mature, he's positionally excellent, he makes very few mistakes, and plays very good defence. I have to imagine he'd do just fine in the NHL right from the start.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Craig Button states that Barkov right now is darn close to be NHL-ready(he just turned 17 2 months go) by next october he will be definetly NHL-ready according to Button.
If i remember correctly i did say this two weeks after FEL season started on some forum(might've been here not sure), them random 'professional couch hockey analysts' laughed at me.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:13 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Seems to happen once every few years, guys like RNH, Skinner and Crosby all spring to mind in terms of post-lockout examples. It also depends on your birthday, since it's only possible for players born between mid April and mid September.

Regardless, I agree with Button, Barkov looks more or less NHL ready right now. Offensively he's already at a 2nd-3rd line level, physically he's very mature, he's positionally excellent, he makes very few mistakes, and plays very good defence. I have to imagine he'd do just fine in the NHL right from the start.
I think that Barkov developes better in tougher competition. I don't expect him to be offensively dominant in his first year. He produced 16points in 32 games in his first season at FEL. Now when he's used to tough game against men and facing up experinced smart players, even NHL players he has 23points in 22 games(1period left from 22th game) he could have similar developement in NHL aswell. Big jump offensively after first year. I definetly think that Barkov should play in the NHL right away because he seems to develope better in tougher competition.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:19 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
If i remember correctly i did say this two weeks after FEL season started on some forum(might've been here not sure), them random 'professional couch hockey analysts' laughed at me.
you must be a genious

Old
11-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
you must be a genious
Nope, just a guy who actually knows something about hockey, can think out of the box and take a note about everything that happens on ones shift.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:03 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

At this point I think the only issue would be his contract with Tappara. It would depend on any potential out clauses he has in his contract, specifically if he has one allowing him to play in the NHL and forgoe the final two years of his contract.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
premadonna

Every single SM-liiga contract has an NHL out-clause, thanks to the transfer agreement between the NHL, SM-liiga and the Finnish Hockey Association.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
At this point I think the only issue would be his contract with Tappara. It would depend on any potential out clauses he has in his contract, specifically if he has one allowing him to play in the NHL and forgoe the final two years of his contract.
I believe all SM-Liiga contracts have an NHL clause in them, so that won't be a problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Oan

Could someone with a twitter-account ask Button that what Barkov would have to do in order to be drafted first overall? Have over 2 ppg? Add that much coveted explosiveness to his game? Change nationality to Canadian?

Old
11-16-2012, 03:01 PM
ponder

Quote:
Could someone with a twitter-account ask Button that what Barkov would have to do in order to be drafted first overall? Have over 2 ppg? Add that much coveted explosiveness to his game? Change nationality to Canadian?
I don't think his nationality is a strike against him. The SM-liiga is a solid league, but the NHL pays WAY better and is just a much bigger deal, teams are not scared at all that a Finn could develop into a good player and still not come over. It's really only a concern with Russians, since the KHL is a pretty strong competitor, and since the culture difference is greater between North America and Russia than it is between North America and Finland or Sweden.

People often ask "what does so and so have to do to be drafted first overall," but I think it's more about tools/ability. I think Barkov will certainly get some consideration at 1st overall, along with a good number of other prospects, but I don't see him going above MacKinnon. MacKinnon is just so much more dynamic, so explosive and dangerous, while also playing a pretty complete game. MacKinnon's upside just seems higher to me. Love them both, though.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:13 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Patrick Marleau turned 18 about two weeks before playing his first NHL game. Was barely 18 1/2 when the season ended. Also Crosby, Skinner, etc. So it's not impossible. Plus, I'm sure Mackinnon will, and he's a day older than Barkov.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:21 PM
FinProspects

Quote:
I don't think his nationality is a strike against him. The SM-liiga is a solid league, but the NHL pays WAY better and is just a much bigger deal, teams are not scared at all that a Finn could develop into a good player and still not come over. It's really only a concern with Russians, since the KHL is a pretty strong competitor, and since the culture difference is greater between North America and Russia than it is between North America and Finland or Sweden.

People often ask "what does so and so have to do to be drafted first overall," but I think it's more about tools/ability. I think Barkov will certainly get some consideration at 1st overall, along with a good number of other prospects, but I don't see him going above MacKinnon. MacKinnon is just so much more dynamic, so explosive and dangerous, while also playing a pretty complete game. MacKinnon's upside just seems higher to me. Love them both, though.
Agreed. Also Barkov does not have the "in-your-face" type of star quality aura around him like for example AO, Kovalchuk, Sid, Malkin and Stamkos had/have. Those guys were just destined to be huge stars and you noticed them in every shift. Mackinnon definately has that ability and he is going to be a star offensive player in NHL.

Barkov´s style is more "quiet" and he does not always stand out if you dont pay attention to him. The only way I see Sasha going #1 is that he flat out dominates WJC/outplays every undrafted prospect+finishes point/game in SM-liiga+plays in the World championships in the next spring. Its possible but not very likely. I think that Barkov is just happy if gets chosen 3-5th in this draft, less pressure and attention.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Baggie

Quote:

"Finnish factor" may still be something the GM's might consider, no matter how complete player Barkov looks. Because drafting finnish skaters hasn't been very succesful lately (say, 10 years), although the recent couple of drafts look a bit better now, but none of them are in the NHL yet. Not saying he'll be a huge gamble, but little things like this may be enough to justify him not being a contender for first overall.

Doesn't really matter though, I am super excited about a finnish prospect who has elite talent level AND size that is advantage rather than weakness for a change.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Gaps

I agree with Baggie. I think Barkov will be drafted in the top10 (and even that is a huge accomplishment for a Finn these days), but he may drop lower than many people here seem to expect. I'm not even considering the option that he might go 1st overall, because the chances are very slim. If we could get an actual NHL season and Granlund managed to get a Calder nomination, it could help Barkov in a huge way. I don't think most teams feel comfortable drafting Finns very early at the moment because of the busts we've had lately. Minnesota took a risk with Granlund, and I'm not surprised at all that it was them who ended up taking it. Right now it looks like that risk may end up paying off, and if it does, it will open doors for other Finns in the future.

Our player development has improved lately, but it'll take a few successful young Finns in the NHL before they start trusting us again. If you compare our situation to the Swedes', there's a huge difference right now; there are plenty of young Swedish players in the NHL who have done well, and because of that it's easier for more of them to get drafted early on. E.g. I believe that Barkov has to be significantly better than Lindholm to get drafted before him. If there isn't much of a difference between them in the eyes of the scouts, the Swede will most likely be taken first, because many teams see them as less risky prospects than Finns at the moment. This is a generalization, though, as the draft order can have a huge impact in a situation like that.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I agree with Baggie. I think Barkov will be drafted in the top10 (and even that is a huge accomplishment for a Finn these days), but he may drop lower than many people here seem to expect. I'm not even considering the option that he might go 1st overall, because the chances are very slim. If we could get an actual NHL season and Granlund managed to get a Calder nomination, it could help Barkov in a huge way. I don't think most teams feel comfortable drafting Finns very early at the moment because of the busts we've had lately. Minnesota took a risk with Granlund, and I'm not surprised at all that it was them who ended up taking it. Right now it looks like that risk may end up paying off, and if it does, it will open doors for other Finns in the future.

Our player development has improved lately, but it'll take a few successful young Finns in the NHL before they start trusting us again. If you compare our situation to the Swedes', there's a huge difference right now; there are plenty of young Swedish players in the NHL who have done well, and because of that it's easier for more of them to get drafted early on. E.g. I believe that Barkov has to be significantly better than Lindholm to get drafted before him. If there isn't much of a difference between them in the eyes of the scouts, the Swede will most likely be taken first, because many teams see them as less risky prospects than Finns at the moment. This is a generalization, though, as the draft order can have a huge impact in a situation like that.
Not sure I agree with that. In 2001 and 2002 we saw lots of Finns go high in the draft (Mikko Koivu and Tuomo Ruutu 6th and 9th overall in 2001; Kari Lehtonen and Joni Pitkanen 2nd and 4th overall in 2002). There haven't been many Finns drafted high since then, but they haven't produced many good prospects since then either. In 2004 we saw Korpikoski, Nokelainen and Tukonen all go in the 11-19 range, and all busted except Korpikoski, but I wouldn't say that this draft turned GMs off Finnish prospects, there just haven't been a lot of strong Finnish prospects since. I mean, GMs are not going to take a weak prospect in the 1st round just to make sure that Finland produces a 1st round pick. Now that Finland has started producing solid prospects again, GMs have started to draft them reasonably high once more (Granlund 9th overall in 2010, Armia 16th overall in 2011, Teravainen and Maata 18th and 22nd overall in 2012, and soon to be Barkov, Ristolainen and Lehkonen in 2013).

I haven't seen Finnish prospects regularly go way lower than you'd expect based on their talent, as is so common with Russian prospects. In the years where Finns have not gone high in the draft, they've generally just not had any good prospects. When they do produce good prospects, they go about as high as they should. If Barkov is talented enough to go in the 2nd-6th overall range (and I think he is), then he'll go somewhere around 2nd-6th. I agree that his shot at 1st overall is quite slim, but only because MacKinnon is such a strong prospect, it'll be tough for anyone to unseat him.

Closed Thread