HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

OT- Just got home from our new arena.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:32 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
OT- Just got home from our new arena.

Went and saw The Who tonight (11/14/12) at Barclays Arena. First off, let me start out by saying, the arena is just flat out beautiful. So nice and so new. I sat on the ice (hehe), I mean floor level about 30 rows from the stage. Looking around the arena, it looks like a great place for hockey ! Seems taller instead of as wide as the Nassau Coliseum. Nets fans have said the upper decks give you an almost top down view, which I loved at the old Boston Garden, so I'm sure I'd like that view.

They also had some interesting food choices, unfortunately my cousin and I hit a local pizzeria before we went in, because they have L&B spumoni gardens pizzeria, which is famous in Brooklyn, and just happens to be the best Sicilian pizza I've ever had in my life.

The main purpose of this thread, besides to tell you how great The Who still are, is to give you a gage to measure possible commute times. I work in Jersey City (Pavonia Newport), and between a Path to 33rd street in NY, as well as taking #3 train from Penn St NY to Atlantic Ave, it took me exactly 1 hour (30 minute Path, 5 minute walk, 25 minutes #3 train to Atlantic Ave). As far as going home, caught the #3 train at 1045pm, was lucky enough to get to Penn Station at 11:11, because the Port Washington train leaves at 11:18, was in my apartment at 12 midnight exactly. So 1:15 commute from Barclay's arena to my apartment in Great Neck. Not bad.

Some cool other things, several people were wearing Islander's gear. Some were chanting "Let's go Islanders" after the concert ! Also, they were playing the press conference from the day the Islanders annouced they were moving to Barclays, on tv's in the arena, I found that quite interesting.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Went and saw The Who tonight (11/14/12) at Barclays Arena. First off, let me start out by saying, the arena is just flat out beautiful. So nice and so new. I sat on the ice (hehe), I mean floor level about 30 rows from the stage. Looking around the arena, it looks like a great place for hockey ! Seems taller instead of as wide as the Nassau Coliseum. Nets fans have said the upper decks give you an almost top down view, which I loved at the old Boston Garden, so I'm sure I'd like that view.

They also had some interesting food choices, unfortunately my cousin and I hit a local pizzeria before we went in, because they have L&B spumoni gardens pizzeria, which is famous in Brooklyn, and just happens to be the best Sicilian pizza I've ever had in my life.

The main purpose of this thread, besides to tell you how great The Who still are, is to give you a gage to measure possible commute times. I work in Jersey City (Pavonia Newport), and between a Path to 33rd street in NY, as well as taking #3 train from Penn St NY to Atlantic Ave, it took me exactly 1 hour (30 minute Path, 5 minute walk, 25 minutes #3 train to Atlantic Ave). As far as going home, caught the #3 train at 1045pm, was lucky enough to get to Penn Station at 11:11, because the Port Washington train leaves at 11:18, was in my apartment at 12 midnight exactly. So 1:15 commute from Barclay's arena to my apartment in Great Neck. Not bad.

Some cool other things, several people were wearing Islander's gear. Some were chanting "Let's go Islanders" after the concert ! Also, they were playing the press conference from the day the Islanders annouced they were moving to Barclays, on tv's in the arena, I found that quite interesting.
Sweet!

It's going to be absolutely great in 2015.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:15 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Sweet!

It's going to be absolutely great in 2015.
lockout. duh.

(I hope I'm kidding)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Islander102

You can just take the Q (or B, D, or N, but the Q is the fastest) from the 33rd street PATH stop straight to Barclays instead of walking to Penn. Its a quicker train ride, since it doesn't cut around the west side and around lower manhattan, it goes into BK on almost a straight line, and it saves you time walking to Penn. The 2/3 is 22 minutes, and the Q is 12-15 minutes, not to mention the probably 8-10 minutes you save walking and waiting between stations.

Even quicker going to the arena is the path to WTC, and the 2/3/R to Barclays from lower manhattan, but obviously that is of no help going back to Penn after the game.

Just a tip for next time Thanks for the great review!

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
If you guys are unfamiliar with L&B's pizza, it's an extremely popular pizzeria in Brooklyn that is known for their square slices. It's by far the best squares in the world. If it tastes exactly the same in Barclay's Center as it does here, you should definitely eat it. I know I will when I go.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:38 AM
jjricco8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
If you guys are unfamiliar with L&B's pizza, it's an extremely popular pizzeria in Brooklyn that is known for their square slices. It's by far the best squares in the world. If it tastes exactly the same in Barclay's Center as it does here, you should definitely eat it. I know I will when I go.
Are you saying they sold L&B's in Barclays??? If so thats incredible. It's truely the best pizza I have ever tasted.

jjricco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:51 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjricco8 View Post
Are you saying they sold L&B's in Barclays??? If so thats incredible. It's truely the best pizza I have ever tasted.
Bingo ! Best I've ever had, and I hate myself for eating at a local pizzeria when I could have had L&B. next time I won't even have lunch lol, so I can fill up on L&B !

Old
11-15-2012, 07:55 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
You can just take the Q (or B, D, or N, but the Q is the fastest) from the 33rd street PATH stop straight to Barclays instead of walking to Penn. Its a quicker train ride, since it doesn't cut around the west side and around lower manhattan, it goes into BK on almost a straight line, and it saves you time walking to Penn. The 2/3 is 22 minutes, and the Q is 12-15 minutes, not to mention the probably 8-10 minutes you save walking and waiting between stations.

Even quicker going to the arena is the path to WTC, and the 2/3/R to Barclays from lower manhattan, but obviously that is of no help going back to Penn after the game.

Just a tip for next time Thanks for the great review!
Thanks Islander102, was thinking of taking the N from the Path station, didn't know the Q was so fast. Probably cut 10-20 minutes off of the commute at least.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The key is, IF it tastes exactly the same. Unfortunately I can't tell you guys if it does or doesn't.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:00 AM
gjm17

After you have a couple of L&B's sicilian slices, be sure to have some pistachio spumoni. You won't be sorry. It's unbelievable!

gjm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
jjricco8

Being in eastern Suffolk, I figures I would go to about 2 or 3 games a year. L&B's alone will likely icrease that number to 6-7.

jjricco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:23 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjricco8 View Post
Being in eastern Suffolk, I figures I would go to about 2 or 3 games a year. L&B's alone will likely icrease that number to 6-7.
It's true jjricco, it's just that damned good. When my bud told me about it, we went there and started out by having three slices each, wound up getting one more slice each, and when I ordered, the guy behind the counter said, "here's a slice on the house", lol. So my bud had 5 and I had 4, then I had a spumoni ice for desert. It is the best pizza I've had in my life.

They did have some interesting food choices at the arena, the burgers looked good, so did the hot dogs, I believe they had sausage and peppers, and I believe my cousin spotted sushi as well, BUT, next time I go, it'll be L&B and that's it.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Bossyfan71

Being a Bronx Boy, I've never had L&B's before. I will be sure to try it when I am at Barclay's.

I'm wondering if anyone has had anything else at Barclay's. I'm a guy who loves to eat and would love to try different things at the arena.

Mike

Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Fantom

Thats great that you liked the place. I do not think anyone doubted it would be a nice building. I think most are concerned about the travel time. I know for me it will add about 90Min each way for me.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossyfan71 View Post
Being a Bronx Boy, I've never had L&B's before. I will be sure to try it when I am at Barclay's.

I'm wondering if anyone has had anything else at Barclay's. I'm a guy who loves to eat and would love to try different things at the arena.

Mike
I had Junior's Cheesecake at Barclay's during the RUSH concert. It was great. Have to try the L&B pizza next time. I got pizza after the show at a local pizzeria right down the block that was doing a booming business with lines out the door.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran journeyman

" As far as going home, caught the #3 train at 1045pm, was lucky enough to get to Penn Station at 11:11, because the Port Washington train leaves at 11:18, was in my apartment at 12 midnight exactly. So 1:15 commute from Barclay's arena to my apartment in Great Neck. Not bad."

Do you have to go into Penn to come back to the Island? I was under the impression you can catch the LIRR right from Barclays.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:52 PM
startainfection

the design sucks for hockey, way too tall and the cieling is to high, it wont be as loud as nvmc, but ill deal with it

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Islanderfan17

Question

For anyone who has been to Barclays, do you think the upper level seats resemble that of the upper level seats at the Rock? By the OP's description, that's what it sounds like and if true then I'd be more than satisfied with that. I've been to 3 games in Jersey and always sit up top, the top down view is very cool and lets you see everything going on pretty easily.

I'm so excited for the move honestly, no more BS

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
" As far as going home, caught the #3 train at 1045pm, was lucky enough to get to Penn Station at 11:11, because the Port Washington train leaves at 11:18, was in my apartment at 12 midnight exactly. So 1:15 commute from Barclay's arena to my apartment in Great Neck. Not bad."

Do you have to go into Penn to come back to the Island? I was under the impression you can catch the LIRR right from Barclays.
For LIRR lines that run through Jamaica Station you can take the LIRR home. The Port Washington Line does not, all the others do,

http://www.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm

IslesArchieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
the design sucks for hockey, way too tall and the cieling is to high, it wont be as loud as nvmc, but ill deal with it
It will be louder than NVMC because there will actually be people in the seats.

The ceiling was made lower than all other new arenas on purpose to make it loud.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Question

For anyone who has been to Barclays, do you think the upper level seats resemble that of the upper level seats at the Rock? By the OP's description, that's what it sounds like and if true then I'd be more than satisfied with that. I've been to 3 games in Jersey and always sit up top, the top down view is very cool and lets you see everything going on pretty easily.

I'm so excited for the move honestly, no more BS
The upper level at the Rock is more spacious, wider and spread out although steep like Barclay's. Barclay's upper level is better IMO because you feel more on top of the floor/ice without feeling like you're in a big open empty space but yes the views are somewhat similar.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
How were the prices on everything like the pizza and more importantly the beer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
It will be louder than NVMC because there will actually be people in the seats.

The ceiling was made lower than all other new arenas on purpose to make it loud.
Like an extra 1,400 people will make that much of a difference..

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:51 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post

Good question, I do believe you can catch the LIRR right at the station, especially the trains that you usually have to switch at Jamaica station, but since the Port Washington Line doesn't, I decided to go to Penn Station.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
How were the prices on everything like the pizza and more importantly the beer??

I didn't have any beer, though I think they were $8.50. The food seemed to be just as outrageously priced as at the Colisseum, BUT the choices seemed so much better. Someone here just mentioned Junior's cheesecake, omg. My next meal at Barclay's will be a couple of slices of L&B Pizza and a slice of Junior's Cheesecake ! I'm going to a Net's game in January with my bud who introduced me to L&B Pizza.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post

Times that by 5 and you might be close. The weeknights of 7K at NVMC will be OVER. DONE. Just like NYI in nassau.

Beer was $9 for a Stella but I was happy to give the extra concession money to Mr. Ratner/AEG for building and running a fine arena which resulted in NYI staying local.