HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I the only one not missing hockey as much as I thought I would?

Old
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
****, I was sponsored for counterstrike for a bit, but I needed a clan

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
****, I was sponsored for counterstrike for a bit, but I needed a clan

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I started the clan though. does that make it better? I was the leader, everyone else in it was my *****.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I started the clan though. does that make it better? I was the leader, everyone else in it was my *****.
DarkYoda just told me you are still a *****.

Sorry bro.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Shady Machine

This thread took an interesting turn.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I will add, in my best movie-phone-moderator-man voice, that there is no such thing as "the average book" or "the average video game". They by definition must be evaluated on their own merits unless you generalize by category.

For example I'd agree with the statement "most war novels are more [insert good-for-your-brain descriptor here] than most war video games where you run around blowing people's brains out."

And with: "most video games or web site apps involving math or legitimate problem solving are more [insert good-for-your-brain descriptor] than most salacious smut novels, political hatchet jobs, and alien conspiracy theory books."

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

I like toast.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Zbynek

This thread encouraged me to download Chrono Cross on my PS3.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
MtlPenFan

Clans suck, because they take their **** way too seriously.

I was a freak in Modern Warfare II, and I was playing on a particular server because they had some very stingy rules about tubing and camping. They asked me to join them, then harassed me to join them until I caved.

These guys threw "practices" 3 times a week, including Saturday mornings (a day for sleep) and I got out of there pretty quickly.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post

I was a freak in Modern Warfare II, and I was playing on a particular server because they had some very stingy rules about tubing and camping. They asked me to join them, then harassed me to join them until I caved.

These guys threw "practices" 3 times a week, including Saturday mornings (a day for sleep) and I got out of there pretty quickly.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I wasn't bothered by missing a week or two but I'm starting to miss it now.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:27 PM
66-29-33

I'm too busy to worry about hockey, so no i'm not missing hockey that much.

Work
Friends
GW2 atm
Wanting to find a good high paying job (i'm at $18.45 an hr atm, but want more money...MORE MONEY!!!!)

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
66-29-33

Quote:

This PS3 or 360? i played cod 4 for the PC competitivly (atleast scrims) in promod for years. I HATE clans, too many people. I need a small 5-6 man team, max. Small, gain good chemistry. I didn't play for fun, i played to win. I don't play cod4 anymore, i'm done...nothing out so i waste my time playing guildwars 2 now. Might get into WoW. Only shooters that fit my liking is super fast games like Quake. Either Quake 3 Arena, or Quake Live (Mostly QL) but it takes forever to get movement down...i'm too old now, and i don't wanna waste all day everyday playing it.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:04 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
This PS3 or 360? i played cod 4 for the PC competitivly (atleast scrims) in promod for years. I HATE clans, too many people. I need a small 5-6 man team, max. Small, gain good chemistry. I didn't play for fun, i played to win. I don't play cod4 anymore, i'm done...nothing out so i waste my time playing guildwars 2 now. Might get into WoW. Only shooters that fit my liking is super fast games like Quake. Either Quake 3 Arena, or Quake Live (Mostly QL) but it takes forever to get movement down...i'm too old now, and i don't wanna waste all day everyday playing it.
On PC. I was on the :]Go[: clan.

I admit it was fun, especially playing against other clans, but it was all the in between stuff that was too much for me.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
MonsterSurge

I was in a HUGE clan on COD4, but some of use started to get effed over. So, a bunch of us made a mass exit.

Anyway...AHL game for me on Friday! Lake Erie and Grand Rapids!

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
vodeni

Quote:
don't worry, you don't come across as pompous. You come across as ignorant.

lots of video games involve reading. its a bit less work on the imagination due to the graphics, but the reading is still there. This part does seem to be going away as voice acting is becoming more and more prevalent

video game improve the following skills
problem solving
critical thinking
visual awareness
multitasking
dexterity
reaction time
social skills
creativity
teamwork

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...f-video-games/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaand...y-video-games/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...f-video-games/

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/1...deo_Games.html

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-_p...eo-games/val1s

obviously not every game is great for these things. but then again, Twilight and fifty shades of grey exist.

seriously, video games are tremendous tools when used properly.

ps: reading a book is worse for your eyes than playing a computer game
Thanks for clearing this out. Now I know. I was trying to be polite. It should have been worse.

In all seriousnes trying to justify or add value to playing video games, I will not be able to understand: social skills???problem solving, critical thinking.

I guess I'll just have to disagree, keep limiting my teenage kids to 1/2 hour a day, and make sure they develop their social skils, their problem solving abilities and their creativity through other means.

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
Thanks for clearing this out. Now I know. I was trying to be polite. It should have been worse.

In all seriousnes trying to justify or add value to playing video games, I will not be able to understand: social skills???problem solving, critical thinking.

I guess I'll just have to disagree, keep limiting my teenage kids to 1/2 hour a day, and make sure they develop their social skils, their problem solving abilities and their creativity through other means.
yeah im with you.

i dont agree that video games have a tangible effect on social skills.

i read a recent article about playing chess becoming more popular (and even mandatory in one nation's schools) as an educational tool in europe, iirc. that's the sort of non-reading task that develops problem solving and critical thinking skills. i think something like that is much superior to video games for development of kids.

books>all.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I was in a HUGE clan on COD4, but some of use started to get effed over. So, a bunch of us made a mass exit.

COD is my one video game weakness. I have COD 4 (Mac/PC), which is actually the older game from about 4 years ago and it still kicks ass. The "new" Black Ops for Mac (PC earlier but basically same) is crap comparatively speaking on multiplayer. Laggy, limited number of maps, and on Mac side Aspyr set up all the servers and runs it through the stupid-ass GameCenter service so that bogs it down even more. FUBAR.

Might have to go back to COD 4.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
On PC. I was on the :]Go[: clan.

I admit it was fun, especially playing against other clans, but it was all the in between stuff that was too much for me.
Ya, we didn't do any of the extra stuff. We would play with the "competition" rules and numbers occasionally, but we didn't schedule practice or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
yeah im with you.

i dont agree that video games have a tangible effect on social skills.

i read a recent article about playing chess becoming more popular (and even mandatory in one nation's schools) as an educational tool in europe, iirc. that's the sort of non-reading task that develops problem solving and critical thinking skills. i think something like that is much superior to video games for development of kids.

books>all.
what about chess is better than what can be done in a video game? again, not dissing chess. I like chess. But Chess doesn't do a single thing that can't be done in a video game. What do you think of video game versions of chess? There is literally nothing that can be done with a chess board that can't be done with a video game version of Chess. They are the exact same game. In fact, the video game has the clear advantage because you can play with other people online when there is nobody to play in person. I can't think of a single advantage to "real" chess over video game chess. Not one.

And ya, video games are becoming a very social activity. Certainly more-so than reading a book. And again, I'm not dissing books. They obviously have a lot of value. I will fully encourage my kids to read. But I don't think books or video games are "better" or "worse" than one another because they each have very different strengths and weaknesses. I also think reading doesn't have to be limited to books. I don't read many books, but I spend an awful lot of time reading on this site every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post

That's fine. Kids obviously don't need video games to develop or anything. Just like they don't need books. We can just agree to disagree on the value or lack-there-of of video games I suppose. I grew up playing video games and not reading books and I have done just fine. Somehow I have still become a good reader and writer. Probably because I still read all the time; just not books. Back when I was growing up, video games included a LOT of reading.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 11-14-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 02:06 AM
66-29-33

Speaking of books, hopefully next week i'll be buying an ipad for reading/watching movies. Black Friday.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Ya, we didn't do any of the extra stuff. We would play with the "competition" rules and numbers occasionally, but we didn't schedule practice or anything like that.

what about chess is better than what can be done in a video game? again, not dissing chess. I like chess. But Chess doesn't do a single thing that can't be done in a video game. What do you think of video game versions of chess? There is literally nothing that can be done with a chess board that can't be done with a video game version of Chess. They are the exact same game. In fact, the video game has the clear advantage because you can play with other people online when there is nobody to play in person. I can't think of a single advantage to "real" chess over video game chess. Not one.

And ya, video games are becoming a very social activity. Certainly more-so than reading a book. And again, I'm not dissing books. They obviously have a lot of value. I will fully encourage my kids to read. But I don't think books or video games are "better" or "worse" than one another because they each have very different strengths and weaknesses. I also think reading doesn't have to be limited to books. I don't read many books, but I spend an awful lot of time reading on this site every day.

That's fine. Kids obviously don't need video games to develop or anything. Just like they don't need books. We can just agree to disagree on the value or lack-there-of of video games I suppose. I grew up playing video games and not reading books and I have done just fine. Somehow I have still become a good reader and writer. Probably because I still read all the time; just not books. Back when I was growing up, video games included a LOT of reading.
will respond to rest of post soon, but this part is weird.

books are a fundamental component to the development of kids. a kid growing up without books is deprived. the childrens hospital of philadelphia, considering by most to be the number one childrens hospital in the world, has a program where every single child coming in for a routine well-child visit is given a book, with several minutes of a doctor's valuable time being spent on counseling the parents on the importance of reading to the child multiple times per week and then subsequently encouraging the child to read books on their own when age appropriate. they do the same thing at harvard. numerous studies have shown improved outcomes in standardized test scores and academic achievement in kids whose parents read them books from a very early age, before the kids can even speak (indepedent of other factors). they wouldnt waste their time and money on such programs if there wasnt hard data to back it up.

bottom line reading books to kids leads to improved academic outcomes. no studies have shown that video games do that.

i dont know what kind of video games you played that had such a large amount of reading, so i cant comment.

forgive me if incorrect, but are you a teacher? i seem to recall that vaguely.

also reading on this site pales in comparison to reading an actual decent book. if you consider this any sort of intellectual stimulation that i must disagree.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

books are a fundamental component to the development of kids. a kid growing up without books is deprived. the childrens hospital of philadelphia, considering by most to be the number one childrens hospital in the world, has a program where every single child coming in for a routine well-child visit is given a book, with several minutes of a doctor's valuable time being spent on counseling the parents on the importance of reading to the child multiple times per week and then subsequently encouraging the child to read books on their own when age appropriate. they do the same thing at harvard. numerous studies have shown improved outcomes in standardized test scores and academic achievement in kids whose parents read them books from a very early age, before the kids can even speak (indepedent of other factors). they wouldnt waste their time and money on such programs if there wasnt hard data to back it up.

bottom line reading books to kids leads to improved academic outcomes. no studies have shown that video games do that.

i dont know what kind of video games you played that had such a large amount of reading, so i cant comment.

also reading on this site pales in comparison to reading an actual decent book. if you consider this any sort of intellectual stimulation that i must disagree.
I agree with this, especially in early development stages (which is what you are referring to). I DO think video games have some merit, but they don't hold a candle to books.

And, as far as chess is concerned (you and Ogre brought this up earlier), the real version is superior to video game IMO because face to face interaction is much more important to developing lasting, real life social skills to that of virtual or social interaction on the internet. I know that communication in our world is changing and non face to face interaction will continue to increase. However, I think an emotional and social connection can be lost when children have most of their interaction through some online gaming chat room. So, with that in mind, board games that force face to face interaction are superior to online gaming IMO (at least in that respect).

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

I guess I was talking more about books at a bit of an older age. I was certainly read to as a child, and I did my readings in school. But reading Harry Potter as a teenager isn't much different than playing Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. In general though, I am in no way saying video games should replace books. Just that they do indeed have their own advantages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I agree with this, especially in early development stages (which is what you are referring to). I DO think video games have some merit, but they don't hold a candle to books.

And, as far as chess is concerned (you and Ogre brought this up earlier), the real version is superior to video game IMO because face to face interaction is much more important to developing lasting, real life social skills to that of virtual or social interaction on the internet. I know that communication in our world is changing and non face to face interaction will continue to increase. However, I think an emotional and social connection can be lost when children have most of their interaction through some online gaming chat room. So, with that in mind, board games that force face to face interaction are superior to online gaming IMO (at least in that respect).

video games have offline multiplayer.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Morrowind with graphics mods = da best

On Vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
I guess I was talking more about books at a bit of an older age. I was certainly read to as a child, and I did my readings in school. But reading Harry Potter as a teenager isn't much different than playing Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. In general though, I am in no way saying video games should replace books. Just that they do indeed have their own advantages.
fair enough.

i just disagree. i really think reading HP is better for a kids development than playing BG.

you said you had kids, right? if you somehow could decide where your kids interests lie, would you choose to have them read HP in their rooms for ~ 2 hours a night, or have them playing balder's gate? my preference would be obvious.