HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where should Scheifele go after negotiations?

View Poll Results: Where should Scheifele go after negotiations?
NHL ready now 5 10.00%
Do a year in the AHL 9 18.00%
Split the CHL/AHL year 8 16.00%
Full CHL year 28 56.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2012, 09:13 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 500
Burmi has got a point on 25.9% of the teams goals. Whole team can't score. If he had that percent in the nhl last year he would have had 59 points. Well see with Burmi. I think he's the best player on a team that just can't score.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:21 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
RE: Burmistrov. The dude's 20, and was rushed. He frustrates me to no end as well, but mainly because he has such great raw skill. I still believe he can turn it around - this AHL stint necessitated by the lockout is a blessing in disguise - Datsyuk wasn't built in a day.
Alexandre Volchkov was the Washington Capitals 4th Overall Selection in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft, Volchkov was a talented right-winger who put up impressive offensive numbers while playing junior hockey for the Barrie Colts, he ended up playing 3 NHL games. Not that Burmi will be a bust in the NHL or not have a productive NHL career but sometimes things just don't work out.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:24 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Alexandre Volchkov was the Washington Capitals 4th Overall Selection in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft, Volchkov was a talented right-winger who put up impressive offensive numbers while playing junior hockey for the Barrie Colts, he ended up playing 3 NHL games. Not that Burmi will be a bust in the NHL or not have a productive NHL career but sometimes things just don't work out.
So, you're writing him off at 20?

Expanding on that: what if he followed a more "normal" progression, and this was his first year in the NHL. If he were producing at the rate he produced at last year, would we still consider him a "bust", or would we cut him some slack because of his age?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Did you bother to read the last sentence of what you quoted me saying?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Did you bother to read the last sentence of what you quoted me saying?
Yes, I did: you're speculating that it might not work out. I argue that it's a tad early for that kind of prediction - he's still a "prospect", even though he's been in the NHL for 2 years.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Yes, I did: you're speculating that it might not work out. I argue that it's a tad early for that kind of prediction - he's still a "prospect", even though he's been in the NHL for 2 years.
Your right I am speculating, Burmi's development was probably hampered by being rushed into the NHL, we all know that. The thing is though he needs to have a breakout year in the AHL, he is not off to a good start, even though he is tied for the scoring lead in St. Johns with D-man Meech he still sits at the 140th position in AHL scoring which is troubling. Personally if he can't put up some good numbers in the A this season along with some sound defensive play he really doesn't warrant a guaranteed spot on the Jets roster. Just my two cents, entirely open to debate.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:39 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Your right I am speculating, Burmi's development was probably hampered by being rushed into the NHL, we all know that. The thing is though he needs to have a breakout year in the AHL, he is not off to a good start, even though he is tied for the scoring lead in St. Johns with D-man Meech he still sits at the 140th position in AHL scoring which is troubling. Personally if he can't put up some good numbers in the A this season along with some sound defensive play he really doesn't warrant a guaranteed spot on the Jets roster. Just my two cents, entirely open to debate.
I would disagree and say since he's good enough to play, he's good enough to play.
Just my two cents.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
(...) Personally if he can't put up some good numbers in the A this season along with some sound defensive play he really doesn't warrant a guaranteed spot on the Jets roster. Just my two cents, entirely open to debate.
I won't argue with that - I don't think anyone should be guaranteed a spot.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:26 PM
wilty00

I think alot of the anxiety people have around Burmistrov is not that he's struggling to put it together around 20 but that he may not stick around long enough to see the day when he does put it together whenever that may be.

However misplaced it may be, alot of people seem to think the confidence isn't there and he's just looking for a reason to get back on a plane back home.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:13 AM
jetkarma

Quote:

Expanding on that: what if he followed a more "normal" progression, and this was his first year in the NHL. If he were producing at the rate he produced at last year, would we still consider him a "bust", or would we cut him some slack because of his age?
I keep seeing posts listing him as 20 , he is 21 , still young but he is not 20.

He was a late birthday draft , so his draft year numbers were as an 18 year old essentially.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

I personally think he should go to the AHL instead of another year in CHL. Not that a year in the CHL won't hurt him, but he definitely likes to be challenged and work on weaker areas of his game. A year in the AHL will do a number of things: he will be around professional hockey players and learn and live the commitment to exercise, dieting, self discipline. A good buddy of mine went through from a CHL team to the AHL and he said those things were night and day compared to juniors. Says he really learned a lot of the intangibles that make people good hockey players. It will bode well for confidence too. In my eyes, he is too good to be the CHL and needs another challenge put in front of him.

Just my thoughts.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:54 AM
hurricanedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Unfortunately ( of course this comes with the acknowledgement of not seeing him play live in person or on tv in St.John's ) but this is not good news.

Some players have skills , can flash , be splashy but not score , while Burmistrov is young , this imo was how he performed in the NHL. That he is a year older has not appreciably gotten better at a level below the NHL is a concern , and the Jets while publicly not stating this , are. They are not panicking by any means but they are concerned that production is not happening , and this is directly from someone in the organization. I can't publicly say who it is as we are friends and that information can't be divulged, so I apologize for that , however much like I mentioned the AHL long before Lawless or anyone else publicly mentioned it , it is from the organization.

I hope he can elevate his numbers and results but there has been tons of players that have had skills and flash and can't / don't produce well enough to be a plus offensively in the NHL and have to find their level in a lower tier. Burmistrov has the advantage that he can be a plus in other areas , so he may ultimately become that at the NHL level , a hard skating , fast , defensively responsible forward that can chip in here and there with points. That however is not the type of player they hoped for when he was drafted.

Still time is on his side , but .... generating points is not happening , and that is a concern , and disappointment.
For what it's worth, he had 6 points in his first 7 games, and now has 1 point in his last 6. The team was 4-3 in the first seven and 2-4 in the last 6. Could very well be attributed to team performance, or his shortcomings could be partially independent to that of the team's. Hard to tell, he needs to play out a full ahl season as this sample is not large enough to form a proper judgement.

As for Scheifele, he needs this year of chl and then possibly a year in the ahl. Jets can evaluate next training camp if he is ready for the show.

hurricanedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I would disagree and say since he's good enough to play, he's good enough to play.
Just my two cents.
Totally agree. He may not ever be the offensive top 6 cent we hope for nut he is already a very effective two way center on an NHL team.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
I think alot of the anxiety people have around Burmistrov is not that he's struggling to put it together around 20 but that he may not stick around long enough to see the day when he does put it together whenever that may be.

However misplaced it may be, alot of people seem to think the confidence isn't there and he's just looking for a reason to get back on a plane back home.
Where's that coming from? Wouldn't he have just played in the KHL this year if that was the case? If he was looking for a reason, what better one could he have been waiting for than an NHL lockout?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Huffer

Nice timing to read this positive article about Burmistrov:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/11/1...n-with-icecaps

Nothing but good things regarding work ethic and fitting in with teammates. Also the confirmation that the other AHL teams are giving him extra attention, and he's still the leading scorer of the Ice Caps.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:48 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Nice timing to read this positive article about Burmistrov:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/11/1...n-with-icecaps

Nothing but good things regarding work ethic and fitting in with teammates. Also the confirmation that the other AHL teams are giving him extra attention, and he's still the leading scorer of the Ice Caps.
Tied for the lead in scoring with Meech.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:16 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
I personally think he should go to the AHL instead of another year in CHL. Not that a year in the CHL won't hurt him, but he definitely likes to be challenged and work on weaker areas of his game. A year in the AHL will do a number of things: he will be around professional hockey players and learn and live the commitment to exercise, dieting, self discipline. A good buddy of mine went through from a CHL team to the AHL and he said those things were night and day compared to juniors. Says he really learned a lot of the intangibles that make people good hockey players. It will bode well for confidence too. In my eyes, he is too good to be the CHL and needs another challenge put in front of him.

Just my thoughts.
He is not eligible to play in the AHL this year (except playoffs) It is NHL or CHL for Mark

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
jetkarma

To be honest that is a fluff piece , not that it may not be true but nothing of substance is in that article.

Positive that there was no negatives of course , but very generic as to be expected. Happy he is in the AHL as opposed to the KHL , and it may be that the benefits are not readily visible in points scored.

I would want and would as a coach direct him to have more "finish" to his game , either by putting himself in much better scoring situations/locations and/or to do this for his linemates.

As an example , they have similar stature but Scott Kosmachuk plays a much more edgy game overall but it is really noticeable how he is much "hungrier and determined" he is to get himself in the best position to score himself or create premium chances for linemates. Burmistrov has better skating , hand skills ( though Kosmachuk has really sweet hands ) but that has not and is not transalating to production .... yet.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
To be honest that is a fluff piece , not that it may not be true but nothing of substance is in that article.

Positive that there was no negatives of course , but very generic as to be expected. Happy he is in the AHL as opposed to the KHL , and it may be that the benefits are not readily visible in points scored.

I would want and would as a coach direct him to have more "finish" to his game , either by putting himself in much better scoring situations/locations and/or to do this for his linemates.

As an example , they have similar stature but Scott Kosmachuk plays a much more edgy game overall but it is really noticeable how he is much "hungrier and determined" he is to get himself in the best position to score himself or create premium chances for linemates. Burmistrov has better skating , hand skills ( though Kosmachuk has really sweet hands ) but that has not and is not transalating to production .... yet.
For sure, defiantly not anything scathing in the article.

But I also don't think either Jaffray, McCambridge, or Meech are saying anything they don't believe either.

For sure we are all hoping that his production goes up, but the quotes below are all pointing to his attitude being great, his work ethic and compete being consistent, and other teams keying on him. Just think those kinds of things are important to think about when discussing a 21 year old kid, who, if developed properly, would probably have been just been coming off his 1st AHL season after a huge season in junior and a couple of great World Junior performances previously. In that situation, we would all be eagerly awaiting the debut of our skilled prospect, and would probably have more patience than we currently do.

The question mark coming in was how would he react to the situation, but hes been really good. Hes adapted to it really well, said IceCaps captain Jason Jaffray. He had never seen or played in an AHL game before, but realized the AHL is not an easy league to play in. Hes come with the mindset that hes got to work hard to create opportunities and to score goals. Hes definitely an exciting guy to watch.

I like where his game is at, said IceCaps head coach Keith McCambridge. His energy and compete level is there every night. Alex puts a lot of pressure on himself to be that go-to guy, based on his resume. When I watch him play in all three zones, I like the way hes playing the game right now. You can see the intelligent reads that he makes on the ice. Hes generating lots of scoring chances.

Coaches are keying off Burmistrov, whether its on the power play or 5-on-5. We sat down and watched some tape together. It was evident that every time he gets the puck, there are two guys on him. He has to find the space on the ice and the last little while, hes done that.

Hes been great. Hes got a great attitude, said IceCaps defenceman Derek Meech. He comes to the rink and works hard. He cares a lot and hes an all-around great guy to have on your team.