HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2012 Subway Super Series - Yakupov -6GP: 2G 2A

Old
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

vCash: 500
Even though its nice to be able to watch N.Y. on NA ice, i personally feel that there are too many of these tournaments during the season. I could do without this one in particular.

And I thought most of us on HFOil wanted him playing in the KHL against men because its better for his developement, not against junior aged players like he is in this series and the WJC.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:27 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Even though its nice to be able to watch N.Y. on NA ice, i personally feel that there are too many of these tournaments during the season. I could do without this one in particular.

And I thought most of us on HFOil wanted him playing in the KHL against men because its better for his developement, not against junior aged players like he is in this series and the WJC.
I believe the KHL was on some sort of break in their calendar until yesterday, so it's a moot point concerning his development, he'll have missed only 2-3 KHL games at most when the tourney is done, while having played a 8-9 games here or something.

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:29 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post

It's just an exhibition tournament and the KHL was on a break for most of it.

As frustrating as the defensive attention Yakupov has been facing must be, he'll certainly be better for having had to struggle through it.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:31 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
Russia head coach Varnakov said that Zharkov made a very good impression in his game vs OHL. maybe it's a sign of Daniil being considered thoroughly for participating in WJC.
If what I've seen during the Super Series is any indication, they could use him.

He plays his home games on Olympic sized ice in Belleville, so that's not much of an issue.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan17 View Post
A couple things from the game today.. 1 he really is that damn exciting to watch! And 2 the highlight of my night was when I had my back turned to the ice with my Yakupov shirt against the glass, and a couple of my friends were banging on the glass and yelling for Yakupov to look, which grabbed his attention enough for him to casually skate by and wink at us when he saw me wearing his shirt! He's really going to be a fan favorite in Edmonton, and to top it off, I tweeted to him with my shirt and he retweeted it!
Haha awesome man! I totally agree, this city is going to fall in love with him. His smile is infectious

Bushwick Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Is this English ?
Haha. It's inebriated English. What I was saying that Alex Delnov is number seven and he's a project of the Florida Panthers. Another Dale Tallon selection.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Man I love this guy. His interviews are awesome and honest. He's hard on himself though, if he doesn't win. Hahaha man is it going to suck when he plays on the Oilers. He might just be the most competitive of the big 4......and that's saying something, because Hall is also a beast in this regard.
He's entertaining to listen to. Who says I'm playing good or he's not surprised he's always good about Makarov are hilarious comments. The guy is cold as ice and cool as the breeze. True competitor that defends his teammates.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Dabomb

For those who watch the Oil Kings alot, does Travis Ewanyk usually play like he did last night? Man was he ever laying out the hits. Could be an awesome 4th line banger for the Oilers if he continues to develop like that.

I don't wanna make any excuses for Yakupov, but I thought his linemates were pretty horrible last night. I just can't wait to see him play with some real players with talent like RNH, Hall, Ebs, and Schultz.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I was super impressed with Ewanyk last night, particularly the first period. He was a wrecking ball out there, nobody was safe (except maybe Yaks haha)

Groucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
backhandsauce

Yakupov has played 5 games in what 7 nights? I'm sure he is tired.

Also it doesn't help that Russia's break out is always a stretch pass up the wall. If Russia plays this way at the WJ's they will get destroyed.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Yakupov needs a defense men like Morgan Rielly dishing him the puck. Wow is that kid ever good. Too many times it seems like Yaks has to circle back into the zone or he gets the puck at the blueline without his feet moving. The Russians break out wasn't very good all night.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yakupov needs a defense men like Morgan Rielly dishing him the puck. Wow is that kid ever good. Too many times it seems like Yaks has to circle back into the zone or he gets the puck at the blueline without his feet moving. The Russians break out wasn't very good all night.
Really? I find that Reilly doesn't use his linesmates enough. I find him a puck rusher more than a puck mover.

I actually thought Reinhart was the best D on the breakout last night.

Man was Russia's D horrible at transitioning the puck. They can't hit a single player in stride.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Yakupov has played 5 games in what 7 nights? I'm sure he is tired.

Also it doesn't help that Russia's break out is always a stretch pass up the wall. If Russia plays this way at the WJ's they will get destroyed.
Not to mention the timezone changes.... OHL generated some solid goals off of stretch passes as well. For some reason it doesn't fit in Russia's trapping style system.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Really? I find that Reilly doesn't use his linesmates enough. I find him a puck rusher more than a puck mover.

I actually thought Reinhart was the best D on the breakout last night.

Man was Russia's D horrible at transitioning the puck. They can't hit a single player in stride.
Too often I thought the Russian D were stuck behind their net, trying to look for a pass.

Rielly maybe not the best break out passer but he was constantly moving the puck, something the Russian D couldn't do. That's all I meant.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Rielly does have a slick and accurate first pass though. One guy that exemplified great breakout passing ability was Ryan Murray.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
For those who watch the Oil Kings alot, does Travis Ewanyk usually play like he did last night? Man was he ever laying out the hits. Could be an awesome 4th line banger for the Oilers if he continues to develop like that.

I don't wanna make any excuses for Yakupov, but I thought his linemates were pretty horrible last night. I just can't wait to see him play with some real players with talent like RNH, Hall, Ebs, and Schultz.
I loved seeing T.E playing with gusto, but..............this is no more than a glorified all star series. Why the **** are they trying to kill each other out there. T.E is now sidelined for, who kknows how long. I agree, this is a stupid tournament, even though, "Its hockey".

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

^
For a lot of them its the last crack at getting an invite to the WJC camp, which we all know can have a big impact on your draft position (if you haven't been drafted already...)

Old
11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Apparently Laurent Brossoit is starting in goal again tonight.

Travis Ewanyk is out and will get an MRI tomorrow in Edmonton.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I sure hope that Ewanyk is o.k., he's missed so much developmental time already in his young career.

11-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Dabomb

Is Moroz in the lineup tonight?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Is Moroz in the lineup tonight?
No word yet. I would say zero chance. Even if he were good to go, which he probably isnt, I cant see the Oil Kings and Laxdall being ok with him playing and possibly getting injured in for what is essentially an exhibition game, especially when they dont know the status of Ewanyk.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Gus Schmidt

I already had this opinion, but last night locked it for me. It is due to Ewanyk that the Oilers did not sign Czerwonka. I hope that Drew gets himself a good education and has a good life.

Gus Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post
I already had this opinion, but last night locked it for me. It is due to Ewanyk that the Oilers did not sign Czerwonka. I hope that Drew gets himself a good education and has a good life.
I don't think they were signing him regardless... Did you ever watch him play..

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Digger12

In line at memorial arena...pumped
to see this! First live game I have been to in 20 years.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:32 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Is it on TV?

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote