HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 09:25 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
gary bettman's a piece of ****. actually he's the whole ****.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:04 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

i wonder if a mediator would help, also now with the HOF over I hope they go back to another week of long talks.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Flyerfan4life

ceeehrist we really arent getting nhl hockey this season are we.

godamit

Old
11-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...fgPLGAnT5fPrJN

Good to see Gary so willing to negotiate, Meet all of our demands or **** off. I said 2 years in August and sticking to my prediction.
Article by Larry Brooks, the most Pro PA reporter in the media at this current time. Comments also taken from Fehrs mouth.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-14-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: offensive.
Old
11-14-2012, 09:06 AM
PAZUZU

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
gary bettman's a piece of ****. actually he's the whole ****.
I like Bill Simmons' idea of using his middle name when you refer to him, like you would for a serial killer.

Gary Bruce Bettman.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:02 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Good to see Gary so willing to negotiate, Meet all of our demands or **** off. I said 2 years in August and sticking to my prediction.
Oh wow..this is so cool from the LB article !

Our defensive holes are going to be fixed with all that mad loot!

Quote:
The league’s latest proposal not only calls for an immediate dive to a 50/50 split of hockey-related revenue, but allows for only one season of transition — this one.

This means that the cap for 2013-14 would be set at approximately $59.4 million, thus leaving numerous clubs with essentially no space to sign (or re-sign) the approximately 250 players whose contracts are due to expire following this season.

Under this scenario, the Bruins — who do not have an NHL goaltender under contract for next season — would have approximately $6 million available to fill eight roster spots after placing Marc Savard on long-term injury list.

The Blackhawks would have approximately $2 million to fill six spots. The Wild, represented on the league’s negotiating committee by owner Craig Leipold, would have about $8 million to fill seven spots, the same situation confronting the Rangers.

The Canucks would have about $4 million to fill 10 spots. The Sharks, whose ownership has emerged as one of the more hawkish in the league, would have about $5 million to fill nine spots. The Lightning would have approximately $2 million to add eight players. The Flyers would have about $2 million to fill seven spots.

Absent amnesty buyouts — not yet discussed — the Canadiens would be over the cap on a 16-player roster.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Article by Larry Brooks, the most Pro PA reporter in the media at this current time. Comments also taken from Fehrs mouth.
eh, whatever. I dont like Brooks but their are plenty of writers out there who are pro-Bettman and the owners. both sides love spinning the PR game.
I think the fans are getting sick and tired of BOTH sides and their stupidity.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Broad Street Elite

No matter whether you are "pro" PA or NHL, you need to accept a pretty simple reality. The longer this goes on, the more power the owners have. Ownership is a smaller more wealthy group who can stay aligned. The longer this goes on, the more you expect to see frays in the union solidarity. Some of the fringe NHL players start to see their opportunity to make any money out of professional sports fade away.

From an ownership perspective, we're rapidly reaching the point of no return for this season. Once this season is officially lost, you'll absolutely see ownership play hardball.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
No matter whether you are "pro" PA or NHL, you need to accept a pretty simple reality. The longer this goes on, the more power the owners have. Ownership is a smaller more wealthy group who can stay aligned. The longer this goes on, the more you expect to see frays in the union solidarity. Some of the fringe NHL players start to see their opportunity to make any money out of professional sports fade away.

From an ownership perspective, we're rapidly reaching the point of no return for this season. Once this season is officially lost, you'll absolutely see ownership play hardball.
Tell that to Fehr

Old
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

Agree 100%.

I can only speculate, but I'd imagine if this lockout lasts the entire season that the NHL will take away the 1.9B gaurentee for year 1 off the table and revert to flat out rolling back of salaries to 50/50 (12% paycut).

Old
11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Oh wow..this is so cool from the LB article !

Our defensive holes are going to be fixed with all that mad loot!
Yay that should be fun if true. By the way some defend the owners here, some might think thats a great idea.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

If there's no season this year, I'm not sure when I'll start following hockey again.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:05 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
If there's no season this year, I'm not sure when I'll start following hockey again.
Same here. I rally don't miss it because I have new hobbies courtesy of the last lockout. It's kind of funny how my life is now structured, last season I'd watch the Flyers at 7 and the Kings at 10:30 so I'd go to bed really late. Now I'm in bed by 11:30 at the latest most nights and up earlier in the morning.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:

I agree.

Plus, the teams are investments. It is not uncommon to lose money on an investment, but you are always looking at the investment long term (I lost 2% the other quarter, but hit 15.6% in Q3 - nor would I move my funds over periodic losses). Owners understand the principles of investment. If it takes losing money now to get the CBA closer to what they want for the future, then so be it. Also, the investment of a team carries less weight than it does for the players-- it probably is not the only investment the owners have nor how they make their income.

Look at Comcast. The cable is laid. Minus normal business expenditures, they don't produce anything. It is as close to pure profit as is available. Losing some money now does not do a ton of damage to that machine.

The players have a much smaller window to make their money.

I feel bad for the near retirement age guys. They're risking taking a bullet for the young guys.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:29 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

I think Gary needs to look up "negotiation" in the dictionary.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I think Gary needs to look up "negotiation" in the dictionary.
You mean like Fehr offering de-linked proposals? Something which an entire season was lost over in 2005. Or creating proposals hours before a meeting, turning up late regularly to meetings, being accused of hiding information from the players.

Just out of curiosity, why are you on the players side?

Old
11-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

There's two sides, and both of them are keeping the fans from having an NHL season. So screw both of them. It will be a complete disgrace if they lose 2 full seasons in less than a decade. They are destroying everything they built up in the years since 2005.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Probably the minute the lockout is over.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I can admit I would, but I can also honestly say I will not be attending any games in the near future(when the lockout ends)

Old
11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Probably not.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
You mean like Fehr offering de-linked proposals? Something which an entire season was lost over in 2005. Or creating proposals hours before a meeting, turning up late regularly to meetings, being accused of hiding information from the players.

By the NHL, who I'm sure is completely and totally honest all the time and has zero reason to act with bias.

11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

why should anyone take any "side"
only losers in this are the fans, and the workers who work the buildings in NHL cities along with surrounding buisinesses.
I refuse to drink the kool-ade that the NHLPA and Bettman are putting out there.
Everyday this goes on more and more fans are going to get pissed off and not come back. They came back after the 04/05 season. They may not be so fortunate this time.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

While this strike is insulting to the fans..I'm not sure how if you are a diehard hockey fan you won't watch hockey or less of it when it resumes? I'm just a bit baffled but then again I really enjoy watching the sport regardless.

Having said all this, def the losers in all of this are the fans and the workers at the stadiums etc. A coworker of mine works part time at night at the Wells Fargo Center doing concerts, the Flyers, Sixers etc and he's losing out on about 400 bucks per mo b/c of the strike. He's got 6 kids (don't ask why) and a wife that doesn't work (raising 6 kids is work of course) and literally has a family to feed...

Old
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
While this strike is insulting to the fans..I'm not sure how if you are a diehard hockey fan you won't watch hockey or less of it when it resumes? I'm just a bit baffled but then again I really enjoy watching the sport regardless.

Having said all this, def the losers in all of this are the fans and the workers at the stadiums etc. A coworker of mine works part time at night at the Wells Fargo Center doing concerts, the Flyers, Sixers etc and he's losing out on about 400 bucks per mo b/c of the strike. He's got 6 kids (don't ask why) and a wife that doesn't work (raising 6 kids is work of course) and literally has a family to feed...
I am sure people will continue to go to the games. Many will not give up their season tickets ect. But it would not shock me in the least if there was a ton of people who walk away from the NHL product if this season is lost. Hell I would imagine people are ticked off enough now. I feel bad for your coworker. Its people like that who are losing out in all this. I dont feel bad for the owners and players. Their actions have clearly shown they dont care about the fans or people like your coworker.
Myself I do love the sport. But its been easier to take because we still have the AHL and college hockey around here. I will watch the game when it comes back. But will I buy NHL licenced product, but NHL center ice, go to NHL games in person? unlikely.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Lebrun saying what I have been saying.

TORONTO -- Who blinks first?

Still no bargaining talks on tap and the clock ticks away toward Armageddon as the NHL lockout reached Day 61 Thursday.

The third paycheck went by the wayside Thursday for 700-plus players who are obviously feeling more and more pressure with their livelihoods on the line.

Of course, owners with empty arenas are feeling plenty of strain, as well.

Know this: Itís too late to declare anybody a winner no matter how this plays out. The buzzer has sounded. Both sides will be declared losers. The long-term damage incurred by this league and industry canít be undone at this point. There are corporate partners who might never want to reinvest in a sport that doesnít play every time a CBA is up. There are fans who promise that they were fooled once, but it wonít happen twice. And there are markets that wonít rebound easily, not for a while, even with a shortened season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...l-be-permanent

Closed Thread