HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
11-14-2012, 09:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Is he better utilized as a center or winger?
He generally takes the face offs in the defensive and neutral zones. Samuelsson generally takes the face offs in the offensive zone. My suspicion is that Coach Laxdal sees Lazar as more of a center than a winger (probably because he's a very smart, very responsible player), but wants to be able to utilize Lazar's amazing shot right off of the face off in the offensive zone. I don't really think it is an issue of face off prowess. Samuelsson probably won 80% of his draws in the last game I watched. Lazar wins more than he loses, too. The Oil Kings, especially that line, are just a really good face off team. People tend to forget that it isn't just the skill of the center that wins draws. It's the smarts, instincts, and will of the four other guys on the ice. I would guess Lazar gets more time at center than Samuelsson because he is the better skater but his superior shot gets him moved to wing in the offensive zone.

As far as where he projects at the NHL level, well that probably depends on the coach.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Only 12 points in 18 games now. I wonder what the scouts are thinking.
He's a kid who is probably able to be equally effective playing for Tippett, Hitchcock, or Sutter types as he would playing for the Laviolettes, Saccos, and Paul MacLeans of the world.

I'm not sure the same could be said for higher scoring kids like MacKinnon and Drouin.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Zeroknowledge*

I think he will be an elite 3rd line shutdown center, can't say I see him as a top 6 player barring injuries and what not.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:49 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I think he will be an elite 3rd line shutdown center, can't say I see him as a top 6 player barring injuries and what not.
Why's that? I agree with most here saying that he'll be a good second liner if not great.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I don't know, I think his upside is better than that. He's got an INSANE shot. Kid can score goals, no doubt. He's willing to crash the net, he's willing to screen the goalie, but he's also got good sense and positioning and can find good, quiet areas to score goals. I think the raw skill in his shot and skating speed, along with his grit and guts, along with his smarts on where to be will give him the ability to be a 25-30 kind of goalscorer, even at the next level.

Having 20-25 goal ability generally gets you promoted to a top six role with top six skilled linemates, that boost your point totals.

Sort of like Dave Bolland meets Patrick Sharp.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:54 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't know, I think his upside is better than that. He's got an INSANE shot. Kid can score goals, no doubt. He's willing to crash the net, he's willing to screen the goalie, but he's also got good sense and positioning and can find good, quiet areas to score goals. I think the raw skill in his shot and skating speed, along with his grit and guts, along with his smarts on where to be will give him the ability to be a 25-30 kind of goalscorer, even at the next level.

Having 20-25 goal ability generally gets you promoted to a top six role with top six skilled linemates, that boost your point totals.

Sort of like Dave Bolland meets Patrick Sharp.
Ryan Kesler for me.

The shot, the skating, two way play...it's the best comparable I can think of.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:34 AM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ryan Kesler for me.

That's a good comparison.

I always thought he is comparable to Mike Fisher, with more offensive skill of course. But I like the Kesler comparison a lot more.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I have this kid going anywhere between 8 and 15 in next year's draft. He might not develop into a star but I think he'll be a consistent 60 to 70 points a year player.

11-15-2012, 08:25 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I have this kid going anywhere between 8 and 15 in next year's draft. He might not develop into a star but I think he'll be a consistent 60 to 70 points a year player.
That seems like an absolute star to me. 60-70 points consistently with his level of defense is what players like Kopitar, Mike Richards (excluding last year) and Eriksson put up.

I see him as a player who plays on the 2nd line, 1st PK and puts up 25-25 consitently.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Zeroknowledge*

He could definitely evolve as a Kesler type of player, but for some reason I see him as a as a 40-45 point player that gets matched to the other team's first line and moved up to the second line every once a while. Still think of him as a pick between 9-15 in this year's draft. His shot though could definitely turn him into a 30 goal scorer but I don't see him doing it on a regular basis. I could see his upside being Mike Fisher like numbers while being a better overall and a more physical player.

He's the kind of player that if everything goes right for him will captain a team and will center Canada's fourth line at high caliber events while never having spectacular numbers.

Last edited by Zeroknowledge*: 11-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ryan Kesler for me.

I'm thinking maybe more along the lines of Mike Fisher.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
He could definitely evolve as a Kesler type of player, but for some reason I see him as a as a 40-45 point player that gets matched to the other team's first line and moved up to the second line every once a while. Still think of him as a pick between 9-15 in this year's draft.
That would have to be an elite team for a 25-20-45 player with elite D and solid F/O to be a 3rd liner.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
That would have to be an elite team for a 25-20-45 player with elite D and solid F/O to be a 3rd liner.
That would be his ideal situation.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
PumpkinBomb

Depending on where the Oilers end up picking, I think he would be the perfect 2nd Line center. (Again it just depends on where they are picking, as you got to draft bpa, as it seems this year there is a lot of great players in the top 15.)

I noticed last night the dub had him out against Yakupov because he was their best choice to skate with him.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:47 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
He's a kid who is probably able to be equally effective playing for Tippett, Hitchcock, or Sutter types as he would playing for the Laviolettes, Saccos, and Paul MacLeans of the world.

I'm not sure the same could be said for higher scoring kids like Drouin.
There, I fixed that for you.

MacKinnon is one of those player's that could play effectively under any coach.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Nice to see Lazar producing offensively. 4G 1A in his last 2 games... 2G tonight.

For those who see him on a regular basis ("I am the Liquor" would probably know..) how is he in the face-off circle? Does he win the majority? Over 55%?

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
This whole lines thing drives me crazy. There are many instances where a "3rd line" center is more valuable than the 1st line center on the team. That's why I don't like using lines, it's much easier to divide minutes. David Bolland plays some of the toughest minutes in the NHL and does really well with those minutes. Lazar seems to have the potential to play that role. If he can be a David Bolland I would take him 12th-15th overall in a second.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:12 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
This whole lines thing drives me crazy. There are many instances where a "3rd line" center is more valuable than the 1st line center on the team. That's why I don't like using lines, it's much easier to divide minutes. David Bolland plays some of the toughest minutes in the NHL and does really well with those minutes. Lazar seems to have the potential to play that role. If he can be a David Bolland I would take him 12th-15th overall in a second.
I'd say that's a fair comparison for Lazar.
He just does everything right. I watched him 5 or 6 times in November and I was stunned when I found out he hadn't scored a goal all month. He's has incredible hockey sense, is always winning battles and always making plays. At a game against Kootney last week I heard the Doan comparison being thrown around as well.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Booom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Nice to see Lazar producing offensively. 4G 1A in his last 2 games... 2G tonight.

For those who see him on a regular basis ("I am the Liquor" would probably know..) how is he in the face-off circle? Does he win the majority? Over 55%?
having watched him a lot but also having no idea what his stats actually are, I'd say he definitely seems to win more than he loses, especially seems to win the important ones more often than not.

Booom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post

Sucks for me. I was hoping he'd continue to slump and drop to "trade up" range for my Yotes. Keep him on a line with Samuelsson.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:56 PM
bsmith14

I have a feeling he is really going to come on offensively over the second half of the season. Everytime I see him he does everything right. His shot is soo sick too, glad he is out of his slump. I want him as the Oilers future 2nd line center!

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I have a feeling he is really going to come on offensively over the second half of the season. Everytime I see him he does everything right. His shot is soo sick too, glad he is out of his slump. I want him as the Oilers future 2nd line center!
Come on... Share the wealth... It's your turn to pick 30th. (but not win the cup haha)

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:08 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I want to see him be a more prickly SOB to play against like Bolland in this second half, but I agree his skillset and attitude is reminiscent of Bolland. His willingness to do the dirty work and be all over the ice, he respects the importance of playing your role by coming up through in a winning environment on these Oil Kings teams - I think it's a very important mentality to adopt going forward to pro. I believe it helped Bolland's transition to pro having to work his way up through the lineup in a variety of roles in London before exploding in his last year offensively.

Somewhere between Bolland and Brandon Sutter is where I see Lazar going forward at the moment. That is absolutely worth a pick in the 10-20 range.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I still think he's more skill than he gets credit for.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:29 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I still think he's more skill than he gets credit for.
Got my pvr set for tonight.

The battle of Alberta on shaw.

Stoked to get another look, especially since he's heating up.

And I agree renegade, the way he shoots the puck and knows where to go is more Patrick Sharp than Bolland.

That's why I like the Kesler comp. good skater, excellent defensively, great shot, awesome net front pp presence.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote