HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2012/2013 Abbotsford Heat Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
He is an AHL veteran at this point in his career, getting caught out of position and making bad plays with the puck because he is trying to do too much is not acceptable. He is a veteran in this league, if he was doing that in the NHL fine, I understand him making these mistakes. But those plays are why Brodie plays sheltered minutes in the NHL on the bottom pairing. If he didn't have these deficiencies to his game he wouldn't needed to be coddled.

I am simply saying he is AVERAGE defensively, I am not saying he is bad as it seems like everyone is making it out to be. He simply does not excel on the defensive side of the game, he probably never will either. His assets are definitely in the offensive part of his game and I have said he is the teams best offensive defenseman.

It seems as if you don't give him nothing but praise you are treated like you are putting the player down.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
He is an AHL veteran at this point in his career, getting caught out of position and making bad plays with the puck because he is trying to do too much is not acceptable. He is a veteran in this league, if he was doing that in the NHL fine, I understand him making these mistakes. But those plays are why Brodie plays sheltered minutes in the NHL on the bottom pairing. If he didn't have these deficiencies to his game he wouldn't needed to be coddled.

I am simply saying he is AVERAGE defensively, I am not saying he is bad as it seems like everyone is making it out to be. He simply does not excel on the defensive side of the game, he probably never will either. His assets are definitely in the offensive part of his game and I have said he is the teams best offensive defenseman.

It seems as if you don't give him nothing but praise you are treated like you are putting the player down.
He is down there to grow as a player, first and foremost. He should absolutely take those risks and Troy Ward knows just that.

How many 21 year olds play top four minutes in the NHL in their rookie season? Very, very few. Having the defensive ability to be relied upon in any fashion at the NHL level during that time in his development is a very encouraging sign.

Where we differ is in our opinions of where we believe he should be now. From what I can understand you fully expect him to be the best defensemen on the team every night because he was a regular NHLer last season. I can also completely understand that because your first priority as a fan is the success of the Heat.

From where I stand I have seen a dramatic growth in his all around game since first becoming a professional player. As a Flames fan it is nothing but encouraging to see him break out from that sheltered game he played up in Calgary, and because of this I cant help but get excited about his future. Of course with more freedom comes more mistakes, but those are stepping stones for his development.

He may not be the most consistent defender on the club, but he is surely the most talented. I still believe you are selling his all around game short, but different expectations breed different outlooks.

It was not my intention to prove that you were wrong as I previously stated, I simply wanted to express my standpoint on why we had differing opinions.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:49 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Guys like RNH, Hall and Eberle are very good NHL players, whether you like it or not Brodie is still a borderline NHLer with a whole lot that needs to be proven. Maybe it's because I am a Heat fan first and then a Flames fan through that association, but I just don't see the hype behind Brodie, but what would I know I was only a Heat season ticket holder every year of their existence until I moved this summer.

Brodie is a product of hype caused by the lack of prospects the Flames had in their system when he came up. He is a decent defenseman who in a few years might have top 4 upside, but he has major flaws in his game that for some reason Flames fans have an inability to see.

Brodie is much like Backlund was, the flaws were ignored by most Flames fans for his first couple years because all they saw was potential for the first time in years.
I don't know that I'd call him borderline. Last season he was a highly effective 5th defenceman in the NHL. That's not enough to consider him the 2nd coming of Jesus, but I think he counts as a fully established NHLer. I'd take him on my bottom pairing before the majority of other 3rd pairing dmen in the bigs.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I don't know that I'd call him borderline. Last season he was a highly effective 5th defenceman in the NHL. That's not enough to consider him the 2nd coming of Jesus, but I think he counts as a fully established NHLer. I'd take him on my bottom pairing before the majority of other 3rd pairing dmen in the bigs.
he doesn't have a full NHL season under his belt, established is the last thing Brodie is.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:40 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Anyone care to create a GDT for tonights game?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:47 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
he doesn't have a full NHL season under his belt, established is the last thing Brodie is.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. From my perspective, he belongs solely in the NHL.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree. From my perspective, he belongs solely in the NHL.
Belonging and being established are not the same thing. I never suggested he didn't belong in the NHL.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:46 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Looks like the Heat play against the Lake Erie Monsters tomorrow(COL). They lead the division by one point, so this series is important for us!

Old
11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
FlamesFan18

Where can I watch this?

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post
Where can I watch this?
AHL live or free streams if they are available online.

11-13-2012, 08:44 PM
FlamesFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
AHL live or free streams if they are available online.
A free stream. Anyone know of one?

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
None that I can see.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:56 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
http://atdhenet.tv/

It will start working when the game begins.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

With the win of last night, the Heat are back on top in their division!

Baertschi with another goal, though it was an empty net. However, he put on the wheels to score the goal.

Game Recap:

Old
11-14-2012, 07:54 PM
CalgaryFlames1240

First Row Sports has streams for the heat. It shows around when the game starts.

CalgaryFlames1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

2 - 0 win against Erie... Back to back shutouts for Barry Brust!

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
He is now 1 period away from setting the AHL record for shutout streak. We should be signing these guys (Brust & Taylor), and trading 1 for a pick. No market for a goalie right now, but hopefully they both have good value when (if) the league starts back up.
How do you decide who gets the start? I would think that Brust gets the next start, but is Irving in line next? It's too bad we couldn't ride 1 goalie and let them have a great year statistically. Instead they won't get the recognition due to splitting time.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Back to back to back. He had a shutout in his start against the Marlies on November 1st as well.

The only goal he has allowed so far this season was 8:19 into his first game on the years against the Chicago Wolves.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Heat back up op top, 1st place in the conference!

Old
11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
He is now 1 period away from setting the AHL record for shutout streak. We should be signing these guys (Brust & Taylor), and trading 1 for a pick. No market for a goalie right now, but hopefully they both have good value when (if) the league starts back up.
How do you decide who gets the start? I would think that Brust gets the next start, but is Irving in line next? It's too bad we couldn't ride 1 goalie and let them have a great year statistically. Instead they won't get the recognition due to splitting time.
Brust and Taylor carry next to no value if signed to an NHL contract. It is quite obvious that the success they are enjoying is a product of the system and dedication from each and every player (and coach) in Abbotsford.

They have proven nothing of significance at the NHL level, and as a result would not be pursued heavily from any organization. You have to remember that these players have both been journeymen AHL players for years now (26/29 years old..).

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Hey guys, I posted the GDT for Friday's game in Rochester on the Buffalo board (link is HERE). In an attempt to get your details right, I got the forward lines from ‏@dankinvigsports and pieced together the d-pairs from the last two boxscores, though two RHD on one pair seems like it could be wrong; so how's the following look? Any details on scratches or injuries is appreciated.
Quote:
ABBOTSFORD HEAT (Beat Coverage)

NHL Affiliate & Notables

Calgary Flames: 15 Greg Nemisz, 20 Roman Horak, 29 TJ Brodie, 36 Michael Ferland, 47 Sven Baertschi.

Last Game's Lineup

47 Sven Baertschi - 17 Ben Walter - 20 Roman Horak
8 Krys Kolanos - 12 Paul Byron - 19 Dustin Sylvester
34 Carter Bancks - 48 Brett Olson - 9 Ben Street
36 Michael Ferland - 25 Max Reinhart - 26 Tyler Ruegsegger

6 Chris Breen - 41 Steve McCarthy (A)
29 TJ Brodie - 43 Joe Piskula (A)
2 Brady Lamb - 16 Joe Callahan

33 Barry Brust
37 Leland Irving

Roster Notes

Akim Aliu, Lance Bouma, David Eddy, Adam Estoclet, Quintin Lang (C), Zach McKelvie, Greg Nemisz and Danny Taylor were scratched/injured/demoted on Wednesday for Abbotsford.
Cheers.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:06 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Brust and Taylor carry next to no value if signed to an NHL contract. It is quite obvious that the success they are enjoying is a product of the system and dedication from each and every player (and coach) in Abbotsford.

They have proven nothing of significance at the NHL level, and as a result would not be pursued heavily from any organization. You have to remember that these players have both been journeymen AHL players for years now (26/29 years old..).
I might disagree with you. While I don't think they have much value, it is possible a team might offer a late round pick for 1. Even a late round pick is better than just losing a player for nothing. I think Taylor, at only 26 has shown enough over the past year that he is ready to be a number 1 at this level, and has earned a shot at the next level. There must be a team out there willing to give him that shot.
I think we have to give some credit to the talent both Brust and Taylor have. Yes, they are playing in a good system, but it's not like they are scrubs. All 3 of our goalies should be #1's at the AHL level, and have shown that before arriving in Abbotsford.
I just don't understand why Brust was signed. I'm loving how good they are all doing, but was it really in the best intrest of developing Irving & Taylor? Having 3 goalies split time cannot be good for their development. Anyway you look at it, the crease is crowded.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:09 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Hey guys, I posted the GDT for Friday's game in Rochester on the Buffalo board (link is HERE). In an attempt to get your details right, I got the forward lines from ‏@dankinvigsports and pieced together the d-pairs from the last two boxscores, though two RHD on one pair seems like it could be wrong; so how's the following look? Any details on scratches or injuries is appreciated.Cheers.
Not sure about injuries, but there have been alot of players sitting one game and playing the next. The lineup is unlikely to remain the same game to game. Forwards have rotated in and out of positions too based on what vets are dressing. The only players that I know are for sure injured are Nemisz and Bouma.

Speaking of the game, I would really like to see Ferland get into a fight soon. There have been some physical games, and I'm not sure why Kolanos is fighting and Ferland is not. Hopefully that gets him on the scoreboard as well!

Last edited by FLAMESFAN: 11-16-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Fight comments.
Old
11-16-2012, 10:44 AM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Hey guys, I posted the GDT for Friday's game in Rochester on the Buffalo board (link is HERE). In an attempt to get your details right, I got the forward lines from ‏@dankinvigsports and pieced together the d-pairs from the last two boxscores, though two RHD on one pair seems like it could be wrong; so how's the following look? Any details on scratches or injuries is appreciated.Cheers.
Looks pretty solid to me. There was a bit of movement between the d pairs when I was paying attention, so I can't fully confirm those, though. Nemisz has been injured since the off-season, not sure when he's coming back; Bouma was injured fairly early on. I'd expect both of them to draw in regularly once they're healthy.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:40 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
I might disagree with you. While I don't think they have much value, it is possible a team might offer a late round pick for 1. Even a late round pick is better than just losing a player for nothing. I think Taylor, at only 26 has shown enough over the past year that he is ready to be a number 1 at this level, and has earned a shot at the next level. There must be a team out there willing to give him that shot.
I think we have to give some credit to the talent both Brust and Taylor have. Yes, they are playing in a good system, but it's not like they are scrubs. All 3 of our goalies should be #1's at the AHL level, and have shown that before arriving in Abbotsford.
I just don't understand why Brust was signed. I'm loving how good they are all doing, but was it really in the best intrest of developing Irving & Taylor? Having 3 goalies split time cannot be good for their development. Anyway you look at it, the crease is crowded.
I believe Brust was signed as a backup for the ahl with the thought that the lockout would end soonish and Irving would take the backup role on the Flames and Karlsson would be traded or loaned to the KHL etc. But the lockout has lasted a while and looks like there is no end in sight which makes running 3 goalies very difficult.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote