HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 08:34 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Edmonton fans have a thing for him Its amazing, aside from the few notorious trolls, nothing but praise for Reilly from you guys
He really impressed me in the WHL playoffs last year. Returning from what was a pretty devastating injury, he was the best player on the ice by miles.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:37 AM

vCash: 500
he is really good, reminds me of Brian Campbell.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:40 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I think Morgan Rielly has a chance of being better than Brian Campbell defensively.
Have you seen Campbell play? If Reilly turns into what Campbell is you'll be extremely happy. Stop comparing him to potential hall of famers, you'll just set yourself up for disappointment. Campbell is a 4 time All Star defenseman and a Stanley Cup Winner.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:43 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Have you seen Campbell play? If Reilly turns into what Campbell is you'll be extremely happy. Stop comparing him to potential hall of famers, you'll just set yourself up for disappointment. Campbell is a 4 time All Star defenseman and a Stanley Cup Winner.
Of course I have seen Brian Campbell play but everything I've seen from Morgan thus far has me believing, if he reaches his potential at the NHL level, that he will be more effective defensively than Campbell. Just my opinion.

BTW, I'm not comparing Morgan to any hall of famers. Campbell certainly isn't a hall of famer.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Kris Letang.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Kyosuke

Very smooth skater and ready to join the rush at any moment with tremendous skating and puck handling ability. He doesn't possess a very strong shot and his accuracy isn't exceptional; but, whenever he's on the ice count on him to make some sort of highlight reel play. I had him in my top 15 going into the 2012 draft, mind you I had Murray at 10-12, but I think in a few years looking back he'll probably be the best defensemen chosen in 2012. He oozes talent and it shows that he's a step ahead of the rest of his peers. I was hoping he'd drop due to his injury, but looks like the Leafs did their homework. I would compare him to Kris Letang rather than Campbell like others have suggested, Reilly has all the offensive tools he'll just need to brush more on his defensive play and gain some muscle and power before being able to make the jump to the NHL and become a powerhouse.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:05 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Comparison is not the same thing as a direct outlook on a player's career. It's a relative similarity and can be a similar playing style. Stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

More skilled Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:19 AM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Of course I have seen Brian Campbell play but everything I've seen from Morgan thus far has me believing, if he reaches his potential at the NHL level, that he will be more effective defensively than Campbell. Just my opinion.

BTW, I'm not comparing Morgan to any hall of famers. Campbell certainly isn't a hall of famer.
You "Let me hear your opinions"

Other guy "This is my opinion"

You "Well, you're wrong"

I'm sick and tired of people asking for other people's opinion, only to shoot it down when it is given.

Brian Campbell is a #1 D, would Reilly reaching #1 D status disappoint you? I think Reilly will be a little better defensively, but seriously, don't complain when someone says he looks like a #1 D.

As for me, Reilly's ceiling is as high as anyone who hasn't played in the NHL yet.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
More skilled Marc-Andre Bergeron.
Don't like this one. Maybe works for Derrick Pouliot, but Rielly doesn't have MAB's shot and is much more defensively sound and physical

Old
11-15-2012, 10:50 AM
bsmith14

I have been saying Kris Letang since I saw him play live last year. He has a strange but amazing aspect to his game where he can do it by himself when he feels he needs to and make amazing passes when he knows he cant do it on his own. He has these end to end rushes without actually being selfish.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I have been saying Kris Letang since I saw him play live last year. He has a strange but amazing aspect to his game where he can do it by himself when he feels he needs to and make amazing passes when he knows he cant do it on his own. He has these end to end rushes without actually being selfish.
Sometimes I wish he would be a little more selfish

Old
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Sometimes I wish he would be a little more selfish
Maybe at this level but i think the way he plays now is better for the nhl.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Don't like this one. Maybe works for Derrick Pouliot, but Rielly doesn't have MAB's shot and is much more defensively sound and physical
Sorry but Derrick Pouliot will not become MAB...

Old
11-15-2012, 01:07 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Rielly's highlight videos are truly eye-popping. I don't want to say Burke was right, but I can definitely see why a scouting staff might rate him as 1st overall.

As a Hawks fan, I have to ask how much of Travis Brown's offensive totals are coming just because he plays with Rielly. I hate when people piggyback on threads like this, but I don't think Brown is worthy of his own thread (certainly not yet).
Whenever Moose Jaw is down in a game, Stothers pairs up Morgan and Brown. Both love to rush the puck up the ice and create scoring chances

Old
11-15-2012, 01:10 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Sorry but Derrick Pouliot will not become MAB...
I can see it happening. He's made a LOT of mistakes every time I've watched him play. I want to like him, but he keeps giving me doubts

Old
11-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Stats01

LOL I love the people on here who are complimenting Reilly and then comparing him to Brian Campbell..that isn't a compliment. He has the potential to become a much much better overall player than Brian freakin Campbell.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
LOL I love the people on here who are complimenting Reilly and then comparing him to Brian Campbell..that isn't a compliment. He has the potential to become a much much better overall player than Brian freakin Campbell.
He also might not be. Campbell is a pretty good player, relax.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
When do some non-leaf fans realistically envision Rielly making the Leafs as a top-4 defense man?

Many leaf fans (myself included) think there's a good chance he'll be ready for prime-time next season. After watching him play in about 7 games, he's been the most dynamic player on the ice in 3 or 4 of them and I've always come away impressed. I'd like to hear some non-biased opinions from people who've taken the time to watch him play in multiple games and not just seen his highlight videos.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
um

Quote:
since when is brian campbell an insult? leafs fans should be pleased if he ends up as good as brian campbell

Old
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
ponder

Quote:
I'm a Leafs fan, I've seen a decent number of Rielly's games (in the WHL, the Canada-Russia Challenge, and the Super Series), and I don't think Brian Campbell is a bad "mid point" comparison. Not his upside or his downside, but a "solid development" comparison. Like Campbell he's an elite skater, puck handler and puck mover, a guy with great vision who's very shifty with the puck. Also like Campbell, his one weakness offensively is a mediocre shot (not bad, but not a cannon). Rielly has a long way to go to reach Campbell's solid defensive play, but Rielly is just 18 years old, I'll bet when Campbell was 18 he was no better in his own end than Rielly is. I can certainly see Rielly becoming a better offensive player than Campbell, he's pretty amazing with the puck, but it's definitely not a bad comparison or any kind of insult. Campbell would be the #1 dman on plenty of teams, you shouldn't underrate him just because he was stuck behind the Keith/Seabrook pairing in Chicago. I personally like the "less physical Letang" comparison better, just in terms of the way both players put a TONNE of pressure on the opposition when they have the puck, but the Campbell comparison is solid too.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:19 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Quote:
Since when is being compared to a ~50-point-a-season defenseman whose solid in his own end a bad thing?

Old
11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
When do some non-leaf fans realistically envision Rielly making the Leafs as a top-4 defense man?

Many leaf fans (myself included) think there's a good chance he'll be ready for prime-time next season. After watching him play in about 7 games, he's been the most dynamic player on the ice in 3 or 4 of them and I've always come away impressed. I'd like to hear some non-biased opinions from people who've taken the time to watch him play in multiple games and not just seen his highlight videos.
I'm a Leafs fan, but I like to think of myself as not TOO biased, and I have seen him play a decent amount. In terms of offence and general ability with the puck, Rielly is NHL ready right now. In terms of defensive play (in the neutral zone and his own zone) and physicality, he's not ready. He'd also be quite a bit more dangerous offensively with further work on his shot.

Hard to say when he'll be ready, because he's very ready in certain areas, but really not ready in others. You can throw a winger right into the fire if he's dynamic offensively but not yet well rounded, because wingers have less responsibility in their own end, but for dmen you generally want them to be more polished/complete before throwing them into the NHL. I think Rielly is close to a lock to stay in the WHL this year, even if the NHL comes back. Next year will be a tough decision, it would be ideal to let him develop in the AHL, but that's impossible because of the CHL/AHL age/experience restrictions. He'll probably be "too good" for the WHL next year, but will his game be complete enough for the NHL?

Old
11-15-2012, 04:04 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
You "Let me hear your opinions"

Other guy "This is my opinion"

You "Well, you're wrong"

I'm sick and tired of people asking for other people's opinion, only to shoot it down when it is given.

Brian Campbell is a #1 D, would Reilly reaching #1 D status disappoint you? I think Reilly will be a little better defensively, but seriously, don't complain when someone says he looks like a #1 D.

As for me, Reilly's ceiling is as high as anyone who hasn't played in the NHL yet.
I never said anyone was wrong. I simply added my opinion to another's opinion.

Calm down, man.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
The Saurus

Oh and I find it funny that my Rielly thread was merged with the larger Morgan discussion, yet the "Ryan Murray is underrated" thread is still on the main page.

Closed Thread