HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

2012 CBA Discussion Part IV (Lockout talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalus View Post
Well said. Ference, in addition to being a good player, is handsome and charasmatic. I wonder if so many people would be so forgiving of the guy if he looked like Lyle Odelein and had the charisma of Alexei Zhamnov.
Had beers with Guerin, Rolston and Odelein one time... Lyle was very quiet, but you knew never to mess with him... He had alot of crazy in him. IIRC he had some sort of mangled finger from a farm accident and he kinda had a hangup about it..I may have been too drunk, but I could swear the guys were teasing him about it and he got pretty angry..

Old
11-15-2012, 11:04 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudos1 View Post
I'm not. I love hockey at the other levels too Dan but Bruins hockey in my house is an institution that has been taken away from us and I am getting very bitter..
you just are sad because we'd be chowing some pizza and beers and heading to a game in December (still may happen)...saw your boss yesterday says helo- you got to get back to here, you're one of my go to guys

Old
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Four threads on this idiocy. How depressing is that?
Very disappointing.

I will have to find something else to do with my time.

At least by the end of Dec they will stop taking $$$ from my credit card.

11-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Had beers with Guerin, Rolston and Odelein one time... Lyle was very quiet, but you knew never to mess with him... He had alot of crazy in him. IIRC he had some sort of mangled finger from a farm accident and he kinda had a hangup about it..I may have been too drunk, but I could swear the guys were teasing him about it and he got pretty angry..
I forget who it was, but they nicknamed Odelein Cornelius

Old
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Because walking a picket line is really going to help.

He - and Chara, and Bergeron, and Giroux, and Lupul, and every other NHL player - has a right to work where he can if he's LOCKED OUT. They are NOT on strike.

As for the "healthy pay," insurance costs (depending on cost and length of contract) negates much of what many players are making overseas.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/84...andrew-ference
Wouldn't be in Ferrences best interest to be playing in the NHL right now, collecting that money?

Old
11-15-2012, 11:20 AM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I think it was Matt Barnaby...I'll look for a link.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Kalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperDrivesTheBoat View Post
I think it was Matt Barnaby...I'll look for a link.
Cool story, WBC.

I think you are right. Barnaby used to chirp the heck out of him. I think one of his best ones was "he has to know he looks like an ape" or something like that.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
http://old.post-gazette.com/penguins...24barnaby6.asp

"Planet of the Apes," Barnaby said. "Look at him. Seriously. He looks like Cornelius."

"I don't know what he's yapping about," Odelein said. "He should take a look at his wife. She's god-awful to look at."

Awesome

Old
11-15-2012, 11:28 AM
rudos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
you just are sad because we'd be chowing some pizza and beers and heading to a game in December (still may happen)...saw your boss yesterday says helo- you got to get back to here, you're one of my go to guys
I miss that office it's ironic that now that I am just blocks from the Garden there is no Bruins hockey..

Old
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Obviously, it's not just insurance costs. Though a handful of players in the KHL (Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk) are making big bucks, there is no way guys like Ference are making close to their NHL salaries. Add in housing, transportation, and maintaining two households (Ference's family is still in Boston), and, as he said, he'll probably come out of it a bit in the red. To him, staying in game shape is worth it.
Of course they aren't making close to their NHL salaries, their NHL salaries are ridiculous. So they have to live off a few hundred thousand as opposed to a couple of million. Ference got what, $160,000+ on that escrow payout, plus a $10,000 per month PA stipend all players get. Most of those leagues cover the costs for the player to live including housing and a car (albeit it it's likely no Fisker Karma) especially when those players are NHL'ers, how many extra bills over there can the guy possibly have?

The guy isn't playing for minimum wage, not sure how he can possibly come back in the red unless his family back home is still living like he makes 2.25 mill a season.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Wouldn't be in Ferrences best interest to be playing in the NHL right now, collecting that money?
Yes, it would.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Of course they aren't making close to their NHL salaries, their NHL salaries are ridiculous. So they have to live off a few hundred thousand as opposed to a couple of million. Ference got what, $160,000+ on that escrow payout, plus a $10,000 per month PA stipend all players get. Most of those leagues cover the costs for the player to live including housing and a car (albeit it it's likely no Fisker Karma) especially when those players are NHL'ers, how many extra bills over there can the guy possibly have?

The guy isn't playing for minimum wage, not sure how he can possibly come back in the red unless his family back home is still living like he makes 2.25 mill a season.
If he just took the escrow and union allowance he'd probably be OK financially. What he's referring to is what it's costing him to play in the Czech Republic, i.e. how much he's earning vs. how much he's paying. Obviously he's not begging in the streets, but obviously he's not fattening his bank account either. He's breaking even or paying a little bit because he needs to play.

The notion that NHL players are all fat and happy in Europe is incorrect. Be mad at the players if you want; there's plenty to be mad over without false assumptions.

And as a fan, I'd rather see them play than get rusty.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Shaun
beauty

I'm glad all the players are around to negotiate because they couldn't do it during last season while they were playing.

Oh wait.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Well said. Ference, in addition to being a good player, is handsome and charasmatic. I wonder if so many people would be so forgiving of the guy if he looked like Lyle Odelein and had the charisma of Alexei Zhamnov.
Good player, yes; but handsome and charismatic? You must be....oh, well, nevermind.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
If he just took the escrow and union allowance he'd probably be OK financially. What he's referring to is what it's costing him to play in the Czech Republic, i.e. how much he's earning vs. how much he's paying. Obviously he's not begging in the streets, but obviously he's not fattening his bank account either. He's breaking even or paying a little bit because he needs to play.

The notion that NHL players are all fat and happy in Europe is incorrect. Be mad at the players if you want; there's plenty to be mad over without false assumptions.

And as a fan, I'd rather see them play than get rusty.
NHL players are fat and happy period.

Ference may not be making enough in Europe to support his and his families current lifestyle, but there is no way he or any other NHL player are paying to play over there. Again, most expenses are covered, housing, car, often even meals and other transportation. Maybe it's time they come back down to earth a bit.

And yes, I'd rather see them playing as well. The sob stories are hilarious though. $60,000 a year for insurance costs... the humanity. Many players make that playing one game in the NHL. No doubt some guys are playing overseas simply to stay in shape, but make no mistake, more then a few went for the paycheck as well.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

Ference may not be making enough in Europe to support his and his families current lifestyle, but there is no way he or any other NHL player are paying to play over there. Again, most expenses are covered, housing, car, often even meals and other transportation. Maybe it's time they come back down to earth a bit.

And yes, I'd rather see them playing as well. The sob stories are hilarious though. $60,000 a year for insurance costs... the humanity. Many players make that playing one game in the NHL. No doubt some guys are playing overseas simply to stay in shape, but make no mistake, more then a few went for the paycheck as well.
Who's sobbing? I haven't heard players complaining, just stating facts.

And, just out of curiosity, if you have such contempt for NHL players, why bother watching?

Old
11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
Quote:

And, just out of curiosity, if you have such contempt for NHL players, why bother watching?
You are correct Artemis. Whining would be more of an accurate word.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

Is this where we roll out the "what it is to be a true fan" rhetoric once again? That's easily become one of my favorite things about this place.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Is this where we roll out the "what it is to be a true fan" rhetoric once again? That's easily become one of my favorite things about this place.
Not at all. It just fascinates me that some people spend their time and energy on something that angers them so much. I like hockey, I like the players, so I follow it. If I thought hockey players were fat and happy and overpaid, I'd probably be mad all the time too.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Cool story, WBC.

I think you are right. Barnaby used to chirp the heck out of him. I think one of his best ones was "he has to know he looks like an ape" or something like that.
Lots of the Devils used to hang out on a bar that was on the way home from the old Brendan Byrne Arena / Continental.... Guerin, Rolston, Odelein, Jason Smith, McKay, Peluso....all nice guys....Jason Smith scared me though...He didn't say a word and had serial killer eyes LOL... It's funny, they would hang around the fans until the groupies came and then they basically told us to beat it...

Old
11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
You are correct Artemis. Whining would be more of an accurate word.
I follow Ference on Twitter. If he's whining, I must have missed those tweets. As for the linked Burnside story, please point out to me where he "whines."

Old
11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Shaun
beauty

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
November 14 2011 in the NBA. David Stern warns the season is "now in jeopardy." 12 days after a deal was in place.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
JMiller

Quote:

I must have missed all the stories about owners who gave up their other sources of income when they decided to lockout the NHL. Ference has some nerve. . .

Old
11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
Quote:
I follow Ference on Twitter. If he's whining, I must have missed those tweets. As for the linked Burnside story, please point out to me where he "whines."
I wasn't specifically talking about Ference but the players in general. There have been plenty of tweets over the course of this situation that have been pretty "woe is me".

Old
11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperDrivesTheBoat View Post
http://old.post-gazette.com/penguins...24barnaby6.asp

"Planet of the Apes," Barnaby said. "Look at him. Seriously. He looks like Cornelius."

"I don't know what he's yapping about," Odelein said. "He should take a look at his wife. She's god-awful to look at."

Awesome
Ahh, Matt Barnaby. Can't ever hear his name without thinking of this:

Closed Thread