HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 4th: and here we wait in trade-completion limbo

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
i think guys are severely underating happ here. i was at the game vs. Texas where he had 9 k's through like 5 innings. he was absolutely disgusting. as a #5 happ is more than enough imo. its not like we'd be trotting josh towers out there every 5th day.

he doesn't have the ability to give you 200 innings...but that's why he's your 5th starter
Agreed. I don't believe we need another rotation arm, but I would like another swingman in the system to fill the Villanueva role in the likely event of injuries to the rotation.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
NeverGoingToWin

JPA can and will be traded if it makes this team better. I thought we already had an argument on whether the team would trade a popular player.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
From a marketing, business point of view... the only thing that matters is WINNING.

If AA believes player x (Darnaud) gives us a better chance to win than player y (JPA) and he can use the money saved to bolster another position... you can bet the house that he will try his hardest to make that move
...which is what I said.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Taxes yeah because we have health care and a stable economy. Housing? Not a chance it's more then downtown new york
Most players who play in New York do not live in downstar New York. I can't imagine any Yankee's players live in Manhattan, a few Rangers/Knicks might but I'd assume the vast majority live either in the outer boroughs or some other suburb. In Toronto it seems most players live in the city of Toronto and not in the smaller sattelite cities like Markham, Missassauga etc.

Housing overall in Canada is way more expensive because our market is much better. A $300,000 house in Canada might sell for $120,000 in most places of the US, and that's not because of taxes.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:21 AM
topched

Quote:
how good is TDA? he's been hurt or been in a stupid league a while now...i don't know how to gauge him.

ppl talk like he's a generational talent at catcher. but the ability follow it up with "above average across the board". he's already breaking down it seems with "catcher related injuries". what do we have with him? are we talking buster posey?
I don't know about generational talent... but all-star talent 100%. He's been an all-star at every level he's played at. Just for some perspective... Baseball America named him the #2 prospect in the Eastern League behind Bryce harper a year ago.

I don't know if he's Buster Posey, who arguably is the best catcher in baseball and may be a generational talent... but he could easily have a Mat Wieters type impact on this team.

If you guys remember the year Wieters was going to break into the league he was on the cover of every magazine, people were gaga over him. Travis is coming up on the same age... and I think its safe to say if he played in an mid-large size American market the hype train would be as big around the league as it is in TO

Old
11-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
how good is TDA? he's been hurt or been in a stupid league a while now...i don't know how to gauge him.

ppl talk like he's a generational talent at catcher. but the ability follow it up with "above average across the board". he's already breaking down it seems with "catcher related injuries". what do we have with him? are we talking buster posey?
I don't personally think his ceiling is as high as Posey, but he's got the legit potential to be in that Posey discussion, yes. He's the best catcher prospect in baseball, and brings serious offence to a position that is not typically counted on for production. You only, ONLY move him if you're getting a frontline pitcher back.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Most players who play in New York do not live in downstar New York. I can't imagine any Yankee's players live in Manhattan, a few Rangers/Knicks might but I'd assume the vast majority live either in the outer boroughs or some other suburb. In Toronto it seems most players live in the city of Toronto and not in the smaller sattelite cities like Markham, Missassauga etc.

Housing overall in Canada is way more expensive because our market is much better. A $300,000 house in Canada might sell for $120,000 in most places of the US, and that's not because of taxes.
I can't imagine most Yankees wouldn't live in manhattan.... Most of them are there because they want to be in manhattan... In all the excitement and what not.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:23 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
...which is what I said.
Was just bolstering your point

In reality... I was too lazy to go all the way back to find the original post to quote.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Was just bolstering your point

In reality... I was too lazy to go all the way back to find the original post to quote.
All good

Old
11-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
how good is TDA he's been hurt or been in a stupid league a while now...i don't know how to gauge him.

Here, I did a comparison a few weeks ago for d'Arnaud using J.P. and Posey with their advanced minor league stats.

Buster Posey
Year(Age) Lvl. wOBA/wRC+ ISO/BB%/K%
2009(22) AAA .395/138 .191/11.3%/15.2%
2010(23) AAA .433/156 .203/13.5%/14.4%

J.P. Arencibia
2008(22) AA .348/109 .214/2.5%/20.0%
2009(23) AAA .318/86 .208/5.2%/22.8%
2010(24) AAA .412/143 .325/8.3%/18.5%

Travis d'Arnaud
2011(22) AA .403/150 .231/7.1%/21.5%
2012(23) AAA .415/147 .262/6.3%/19.5%

J.P. and Posey both posted monster numbers in the PCL like TDA, however, they were both repeating the level. Travis did it his first time. d'Arnaud's numbers in the Eastern League (AA) are both ridiculous when compared to Arencibia, and when you take into consideration that it's widely considered a pitcher's league. The young man is very very special. I got to see him in person when he was a fishercat, and he's got the skills. If he stays healthy, he can produce Buster Posey numbers, with perhaps a slightly lower batting average. He also has the ability to stay behind the plate, and is a better receiver than Arencibia as well.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Possibly your right but I read somewhere that taxation was a big factor and at the time.
He is very right, because it couldn't possibly be a factor. Darvish was posted by his team giving MLB teams the right to blind bid for the rights to exclusively negotiate with him. The Blue Jays did not win that blind bid. That factor could not have possibly come into play.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:29 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
J.P. and Posey both posted monster numbers in the PCL like TDA, however, they were both repeating the level. Travis did it his first time. d'Arnaud's numbers in the Eastern League (AA) are both ridiculous when compared to Arencibia, and when you take into consideration that it's widely considered a pitcher's league. The young man is very very special. I got to see him in person when he was a fishercat, and he's got the skills. If he stays healthy, he can produce Buster Posey numbers, with perhaps a slightly lower batting average. He also has the ability to stay behind the plate, and is a better receiver than Arencibia as well.
I'm not worried about TDA's health much. Posey just put up a monster season after suffering an injury 3x worse than Travis.

I think in my mind, ideally you keep JPA and TDA, and have JP ease Travis into the role. Give JP more of a reserve role, but get him some starts at DH etc.

But I think there is a team out there that will offer a decent package for JP. He's a young, controllalbe catcher with average defense and well above average power for the position.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I can't imagine most Yankees wouldn't live in manhattan.... Most of them are there because they want to be in manhattan... In all the excitement and what not.
I think you have a very flawed view of what players want. First of all, it's a ***** to get around in New York if you're not taking public transit, and to get to Yankee stadium from Manhattan would be very difficult (Players will not take public transit, and not because they're snobs). It's also way more expensive, why would a player pay millions of dollars with a condo in Manhattan (With higher taxes) when they can buy a nice one for much cheaper someone else.

Even NHL/NBA players who play in Manhattan I doubt live there. It seems a lot live in the more expensive suburbs where it's easier to get around.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Any rumblings on when its supposed to be approved?
I was listening to the Fan 590 this morning and in their 20/20 update, the guy reported that Bud selig said that he hasnt got a trade proposal to approve yet.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
I'm not worried about TDA's health much. Posey just put up a monster season after suffering an injury 3x worse than Travis.

I think in my mind, ideally you keep JPA and TDA, and have JP ease Travis into the role. Give JP more of a reserve role, but get him some starts at DH etc.

But I think there is a team out there that will offer a decent package for JP. He's a young, controllalbe catcher with average defense and well above average power for the position.
Absolutely. That's my wish for this season. I'd even be fine with a Arencibia-Wilson combination until mid-may, and then a Arencibia-d'Arnaud combination for the rest of the year. I'm a big fan of the way the Giants brought Posey along in 2010. He spent more time at first base with Benjie Molina behind the plate in his first few months. d'Arnaud can DH against lefties, and catch when they want him to catch.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I think you have a very flawed view of what players want. First of all, it's a ***** to get around in New York if you're not taking public transit, and to get to Yankee stadium from Manhattan would be very difficult (Players will not take public transit, and not because they're snobs). It's also way more expensive, why would a player pay millions of dollars with a condo in Manhattan (With higher taxes) when they can buy a nice one for much cheaper someone else.

Even NHL/NBA players who play in Manhattan I doubt live there. It seems a lot live in the more expensive suburbs where it's easier to get around.
The majority of them live in New Jersey. That's NHL, MLB, NBA, etc.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Absolutely. That's my wish for this season. I'd even be fine with a Arencibia-Wilson combination until mid-may, and then a Arencibia-d'Arnaud combination for the rest of the year. I'm a big fan of the way the Giants brought Posey along in 2010. He spent more time at first base with Benjie Molina behind the plate in his first few months. d'Arnaud can DH against lefties, and catch when they want him to catch.
Exactly. I think that would be the best thing. Treat D'Arnaud like Mike Napoli for a while. Get him starts at 1b, DH and C. Even if he catches 60 games lets say, and JP catches the other 100... you could still get TDA up to 120 games at other positions... which is more than enough. For all the D that TDA brings over JP, I think JP's knowledge of handling a major league staff makes it negligible for this season at least.

Unless you're getting Lucas Duda or Ike Davis or somebody like that. who fits our exact need... I don't think its worth moving JP.

I'd rather see AA flip Buck, get some cap space and use it to bolster another area.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Bullsmith

Pro athletes don't have to establish residence where they play. They can spend 6 months in a zero tax state and mitigate the amount they owe in, for instance, a Canadian province.

The taxes are still higher, but they don't pay the Canadian rates on their full income unless they live here.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:59 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

maybe they'll trade Boneface
I'm not sure if he's a good fit

Old
11-15-2012, 11:02 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Possibly your right but I read somewhere that taxation was a big factor and at the time.
I'm not possibly right I'm 100% right. Taxation especially had zero to do with anything. He had zero choice. Let me repeat that ZERO choice

Old
11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
maybe they'll trade Boneface
I'm not sure if he's a good fit
I believe I already told you how he's a better fit than Rajai.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:06 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
#Royals poised for a blockbuster?
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/k...to-deal-111512

Old
11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Bonifacio is a near perfect fit, and is the most underrated portion of this trade.

Guy can play both positions where we have holes to fill. He has blinding speed, and definitely a better glove than Rajai.

Bonifacio should start.. whether its in left or at 2nd. Izturis could start at 2nd, but I think he was signed as a supersub... and we're better off having him get Bonifacio, Reyes and Lawrie days off rather than have him play everyday.

Also I'm not sure if anyone heard... but Blair brought up an interesting point on the air today. Mentioned the name of Jerry Manuel. Experience with Buerhle managing the white sox and Reyes managing the Mets. Has the Expos tie as well. Has a world series, but not as a manager... so he is likely still hungry.

Thoughts?

Old
11-15-2012, 11:10 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
but all Davis is a 4th outfielder, pinch runner on a good team

Old
11-15-2012, 11:12 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Bonifacio is a near perfect fit, and is the most underrated portion of this trade.

Guy can play both positions where we have holes to fill. He has blinding speed, and definitely a better glove than Rajai.

Bonifacio should start.. whether its in left or at 2nd. Izturis could start at 2nd, but I think he was signed as a supersub... and we're better off having him get Bonifacio, Reyes and Lawrie days off rather than have him play everyday.

Also I'm not sure if anyone heard... but Blair brought up an interesting point on the air today. Mentioned the name of Jerry Manuel. Experience with Buerhle managing the white sox and Reyes managing the Mets. Has the Expos tie as well. Has a world series, but not as a manager... so he is likely still hungry.

Thoughts?
boneface's D is terrible and strikes out alot
he's destined for LF
i'd be reluctant batting him 2nd as well

Closed Thread