HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Murray Underrated....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2012, 08:51 AM
  #26
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
QU 2014 - Isles Fan
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 15,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
If the Islanders where willing to give up every pick in the draft to move up two spots, I think it's pretty clear cut who the best defenseman prospect is.

Also, Murray's offensive stats are at least as impressive as Rielly this year.
Even though I don't believe the rumor, the full rumor was that if Edmonton took Murray with the 1st overall pick, the Islanders would trade all their picks to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick to draft Yakupov, not Murray.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:45 AM
  #27
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BruinsBtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Draft pedigree and pre-draft rankings are worthless especially considering Rielly was drafted base on ~20 games. Also if your going by stats as a way to compare their offence then your just looking for an excuse to bash Rielly considering Rielly is almost half a year younger, with only 1 full season of junior development vs 3, and has clearly better offensive tools.
You might want to check who Murray's team is.

Also, to the above... the rumor was Murray, not Yak.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
  #28
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
His brain is elite
True, he does have elite IQ, and with his ability to be able to be very good at everything makes him a top rated defensive prospect, so he isn't underrated, nor should he. Colombus has a very good defenseman in their system.

AJMHABS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:57 AM
  #29
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,019
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
You might want to check who Murray's team is.

Also, to the above... the rumor was Murray, not Yak.
A team slightly worse than Riellys... without Fioretti (who is a product of Rielly), Moose Jaw is no better...

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:10 AM
  #30
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Ryan Murray is as tough and physical as they come. He is a very emotional player that plays with great determination. His offensive skills are somewhat limited although he can chip in points when needed and has a decent scoring touch. He has very good timing in his hits and likes to agitate and play a bit dirty at times.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
  #31
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
QU 2014 - Isles Fan
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 15,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
You might want to check who Murray's team is.

Also, to the above... the rumor was Murray, not Yak.
No, that was speculation.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
  #32
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
No, that was speculation.
No, it was confirmed.

The Islanders made a lesser offer before Edmonton drafted. After Yakupov was taken, the Islanders called the Jackets and THEN offered all of their picks.

When the Jackets declined, the Islanders spent all of their top picks on defensemen.

As for who is better, I don't know. Murray was seen as the safest and I have heard from scouts that they think the Hamhuis comparison is wrong, that Murray is gifted offensively as well as defensively.

However the primary reason that Rielly dropped was because of a lack of exposure due to injury.

There are numerous underrated d-men in this draft including Reinhart (who is on a bad CHL team), Dumba doesn't get discussed as much as he should, Lindholm, etc.


Last edited by Crede777: 11-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
  #33
Crabovski*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
In no world is Murray underrated. If anything overrated. Just give it time, its really not hard to see Murray is an efficient contributor, but Rielly has untouchable game breaking ability while still being a complete stud.bIm sure Murray will still make it on the 1st pairing through his career, but Riellys going to be in the scoring top 15 just about every year for dmen. And hes great defensively too (against his current competition atleast). Best way I can put it.


In the current NHL, if I were to gauge the likeliness of one of these 2 winning a Norris, I would put Rielly significantly ahead of Murray, not because I think hes going to be significantly better overall, but his style more suits the direction this games heading and the way writers vote. Future Elite Gamebeaker. I think Karlsson vs Rielly threads will be aplenty around 2016.
I feel like watching them on the same team too really shows whos 'the man/the anchor' on the blueline. You can certainly see it is Rielly and not Murray. Admittedly, other than last nights game, I seen both guys play just once lol. But I feel convinced.

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
  #34
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
In no world is Murray underrated. If anything overrated. Just give it time, its really not hard to see Murray is an efficient contributor, but Rielly has untouchable game breaking ability while still being a complete stud.bIm sure Murray will still make it on the 1st pairing through his career, but Riellys going to be in the scoring top 15 just about every year for dmen. And hes great defensively too (against his current competition atleast). Best way I can put it.


In the current NHL, if I were to gauge the likeliness of one of these 2 winning a Norris, I would put Rielly significantly ahead of Murray, not because I think hes going to be significantly better overall, but his style more suits the direction this games heading and the way writers vote. Future Elite Gamebeaker. I think Karlsson vs Rielly threads will be aplenty around 2016.
I feel like watching them on the same team too really shows whos 'the man/the anchor' on the blueline. You can certainly see it is Rielly and not Murray. Admittedly, other than last nights game, I seen both guys play just once lol. But I feel convinced.

....

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
  #35
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
In no world is Murray underrated. If anything overrated. Just give it time, its really not hard to see Murray is an efficient contributor, but Rielly has untouchable game breaking ability while still being a complete stud.bIm sure Murray will still make it on the 1st pairing through his career, but Riellys going to be in the scoring top 15 just about every year for dmen. And hes great defensively too (against his current competition atleast). Best way I can put it.


In the current NHL, if I were to gauge the likeliness of one of these 2 winning a Norris, I would put Rielly significantly ahead of Murray, not because I think hes going to be significantly better overall, but his style more suits the direction this games heading and the way writers vote. Future Elite Gamebeaker. I think Karlsson vs Rielly threads will be aplenty around 2016.
I feel like watching them on the same team too really shows whos 'the man/the anchor' on the blueline. You can certainly see it is Rielly and not Murray. Admittedly, other than last nights game, I seen both guys play just once lol. But I feel convinced.
This is why Leaf fans get so much hate on this board, complete and utter nonsense. Atleast you can spell his name right so I will give you credit there, but I can bet you 100,000 HF dollars that Murray will become the better defenseman. Maybe not as offensive or flashy, but Murray has enough talent to score goals and quarterback the PP while providing shutdown qualities.


Last edited by S E P H: 11-15-2012 at 11:32 AM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:28 AM
  #36
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
This is why Leaf fans get so much hate on this board, complete and utter nonsense. Atleast you can spell his name right so I will give you credit there, but I can bet you 100,000 HF dollars that Murray will become the better defenseman. Maybe not as offensive or flashy, but Murray has enough talent to score goals and quarterback the PP.
The problem isn't the claim that Rielly is better than Murray.

The problem is the claim that "it's obvious," and claims like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski
but Rielly has untouchable game breaking ability while still being a complete stud.
The problem is that some Leafs fans are essentially brainwashed by an overabundance of hype and exposure generated by the Toronto media. What they need to do is step outside of the Toronto media market for a less biased perspective.

Another problem is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski
I feel like watching them on the same team too really shows whos 'the man/the anchor' on the blueline. You can certainly see it is Rielly and not Murray.
Murray IS the Everett Silvertips. To claim he isn't their anchor, captain, leader, and best player is to demonstrate that you have never watched a single game of theirs and are making up facts.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:28 AM
  #37
Cheddabombs
Status Quo
 
Cheddabombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
In no world is Murray underrated. If anything overrated. Just give it time, its really not hard to see Murray is an efficient contributor, but Rielly has untouchable game breaking ability while still being a complete stud.bIm sure Murray will still make it on the 1st pairing through his career, but Riellys going to be in the scoring top 15 just about every year for dmen. And hes great defensively too (against his current competition atleast). Best way I can put it.


In the current NHL, if I were to gauge the likeliness of one of these 2 winning a Norris, I would put Rielly significantly ahead of Murray, not because I think hes going to be significantly better overall, but his style more suits the direction this games heading and the way writers vote. Future Elite Gamebeaker. I think Karlsson vs Rielly threads will be aplenty around 2016.
I feel like watching them on the same team too really shows whos 'the man/the anchor' on the blueline. You can certainly see it is Rielly and not Murray. Admittedly, other than last nights game, I seen both guys play just once lol. But I feel convinced.
This is where you lose merit...

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
  #38
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
His brain is elite
This is the only elite quality he has, but it it makes him so effective on the ice.

AJMHABS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
  #39
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The problem isn't the claim that Rielly is better than Murray.

The problem is the claim that "it's obvious," and claims like this:


The problem is that some Leafs fans are essentially brainwashed by an overabundance of hype and exposure generated by the Toronto media. What they need to do is step outside of the Toronto media market for a less biased perspective.
There are a lot of Edmonton fans out west and even Habs fans that rave about Rielly on these boards. Also when you watch him play the play by play guys are always raving about him, same with the radio guys.

The hype isn't just Toronto fans. It's just that he is really really good.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
  #40
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Its Suter vs. Karlsson in essence. One shouldnt be ranked higher than the other, however one is much more noticeable than the other. I prefer Reilly as i like players who take risks. Murray is too safe and too simple, sometimes its painful to watch.
Murray has a better chance to reach Suter's level than Rielly has to reach Karlsson's level.
I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. I have always thought that Murray is under-appreciated here, i see a lot of posters having him rated lower than some of the other highly rated defensemen of this draft. It's certainly possible that Rielly or perhaps Dumba if they reach their max potential could peak higher than Murray but it's a longshot IMO.
I would rate Reinhart below these guys. I just don't see the big upside in him that some others see.

Murray is the consumate pro, he is very good to excellent in all areas and i think that his offense is underrated, he has all the ability to put up 40-45 pts consistently while shutting down the opposition on a regular basis. Defensemen like that are gold in the NHL. He's the type of player that you want in the playoffs when the games become tight checking.
I think that Rielly has unlimited potential but i prefer rock solid 2 way defensemen to risk takers and although Rielly is no slouch defensively, he will never be as good as Murray is defensively IMO.

I'm still glad that the Oilers picked Yakupov despite HF's insistence that the Oilers should have passed Yakupov for a defenseman, the Oilers got what was essentially another top 5-10 pick in Schultz.
I would much rather have Yakupov and Schultz than just Murray which would have likely been the case if the Oilers drafted him but i still feel that the Jackets made out very well and got the best defenseman in the draft.


Last edited by CupofOil: 11-15-2012 at 11:58 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
  #41
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Meant painfully boring Hes just so invisible all the time!
That's a stupid comment. Just because you can't appreciate someone playing shut down defense doesn't mean he's boring. He's not boring to watch I find that the smart plays are the best, personally I would take him over Rielly any day. But that's only my opinion.


Last edited by jhjhjhjhjhjh*: 11-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
  #42
Crabovski*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
The thing is though when your watching 2 players close in skill play after 2 games your ussually like "I need to see these guys play more before I make some long ass post on hfboards", but when its Rielly and Murray, its just like looking at an ace and a jack. Im not about to say whos better between Rienhart or Dumba or Murray because its too hard to tell after just 2 games (seen them in a dub game too). But with Rielly, its just like dam ITS SO OBVIOUS

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
  #43
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
The thing is though when your watching 2 players close in skill play after 2 games your ussually like "I need to see these guys play more before I make some long ass post on hfboards", but when its Rielly and Murray, its just like looking at an ace and a jack. Im not about to say whos better between Rienhart or Dumba or Murray because its too hard to tell after just 2 games (seen them in a dub game too). But with Rielly, its just like dam ITS SO OBVIOUS
If it was so obvious, Reilly would have been picked first.

/in before "You're just hating on him because he is a Leafs prospect" obligatory post. It is posts like these that make your fanbase take the brunt of the abuse on these forums.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
  #44
Crabovski*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
If it was so obvious, Reilly would have been picked first.

/in before "You're just hating on him because he is a Leafs prospect" obligatory post. It is posts like these that make your fanbase take the brunt of the abuse on these forums.
If he played a full year and didnt get injured he gets picked over Murray.

And I was saying he wasnt the Anchor of team WHL (Rielly was), I realize he is the Silvertips main man.

Just because Rielly got decked one time in his own end doesnt make him less of a player, happens to everyone, especially when your the guy carrying the target.

This kid is gold yall seeeeeeee

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
  #45
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,810
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Ryan Murray is as tough and physical as they come. He is a very emotional player that plays with great determination. His offensive skills are somewhat limited although he can chip in points when needed and has a decent scoring touch. He has very good timing in his hits and likes to agitate and play a bit dirty at times.
I feel as though you haven't watched him play. He does a lot of things well, but he's not very physical or tough. He has decent enough strength, but he's no bruiser

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
  #46
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'm not sure that anyone should base an assessment on "What would Garth Snow do?".

Let's also remember that Rielly was drafted by one of the more scrutinized, supported, talked-about franchises in the league. While that is taking nothing away from Rielly the player (who I believe to be a special offensive talent on the backend), a premiere prospect in Toronto will always receive more "chatter" than the same caliber prospect in CBus.
100%.Hell Finn gets more attention then Murray, it does not make him better.

I do not see how the 2nd over all pick is underated before ever playing an NHL game. He is not getting the same attention but that is because of market. Murray/Rielly comparisons remind me of the Redden/Berard debate except in this instance one was injured before the draft.

Offense is a bit sexier which Rielly has an edge in but if I were a CBJ fan I would be pretty happy with Murray, he was the safer pick and is almost certain to be an NHLer.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:24 PM
  #47
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Ryan Murray is as tough and physical as they come. He is a very emotional player that plays with great determination. His offensive skills are somewhat limited although he can chip in points when needed and has a decent scoring touch. He has very good timing in his hits and likes to agitate and play a bit dirty at times.
Wow and here I thought he was more of a positional player but heck if you say he's physical then he probably is. Stop talking about players you don't know anything about, you're another one of those clueless fans who knows everything about every player without even watching them.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:53 PM
  #48
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
No, it was confirmed.

The Islanders made a lesser offer before Edmonton drafted. After Yakupov was taken, the Islanders called the Jackets and THEN offered all of their picks.

When the Jackets declined, the Islanders spent all of their top picks on defensemen.

As for who is better, I don't know. Murray was seen as the safest and I have heard from scouts that they think the Hamhuis comparison is wrong, that Murray is gifted offensively as well as defensively.

However the primary reason that Rielly dropped was because of a lack of exposure due to injury.

There are numerous underrated d-men in this draft including Reinhart (who is on a bad CHL team), Dumba doesn't get discussed as much as he should, Lindholm, etc.
Uh Reinhart is not on a bad CHL team...

The Oil Kings are third in points in the WHL and tied for most points in their conference...

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:59 PM
  #49
SMantzas
Next Star?
 
SMantzas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Is Adam Larsson a good comparison for Murray?

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:10 PM
  #50
jukon
#Nailedit
 
jukon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I see Toronto fans suggesting Morgan Reilly is better and/or will be better.....I just don't see it, Murray could step into the NHL right now and hold his own, people seem to have a cap on Murray's upside which I honestly think is dumb, anytime you have a defensemen with his IQ you have a chance to be special, that's not to say Reilly sucks but people overrate style and flash to much

I don't see Reinhart on that level either, calm and cool is more effective than flash and dash.....
Fixed.

No big deal. Toronto fans are big on Reilly and Columbus fans are big on Murray. Leaf fans outnumber Columbus fans so Reilly must be better, right?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.