HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nathan Horton next contact

Old
11-15-2012, 07:43 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Nathan Horton next contact

How much does Horton get on the open market? you gotta think the 6-2 230 pound winger will get a TON of interest if the season is wiped out and he hits UFA

I would LOVE to see him with JVR and grabovski but the question is how much do you invest on him in free agency?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:51 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
How much does Horton get on the open market? you gotta think the 6-2 230 pound winger will get a TON of interest if the season is wiped out and he hits UFA

I would LOVE to see him with JVR and grabovski but the question is how much do you invest on him in free agency?
It really depends on what he does if there is a season.

If he is the same player as he was before his injury and he actually makes it to UFA, my guess is that he will easily get $5 million and depending on how many players are available that have the potential to score 30 goals in a season, he could get more.

If there is no season, I have no idea but I bet somebody would take a chance if the Bruins didn't re-sign him.

I also have a hunch that the Bruins will re-sign him either way.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:10 AM
"Craigs on it"

north of $5 per

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Yeah I see no way he goes anywhere but Boston, unless he has disturbingly large money demands. I see around 5-5.5 for Nathan, given his injury history and production over the last couple years.

Hes also BFFs with Lucic, highly doubt hed want to go anywhere else.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Yeah I see no way he goes anywhere but Boston, unless he has disturbingly large money demands. I see around 5-5.5 for Nathan, given his injury history and production over the last couple years.

I think he stays a Bruin but if Boston offers 4 @ 16m and a team like the leafs offer 5 @ 25 I think he would leave.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Hard to guess on this considering we don't know what the cap will be. Under the old CBA, I bet he gets 6 years at 6mil per. People seem to overpay for powerforwards who can score, Horton is exactly that.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I think he stays a Bruin but if Boston offers 4 @ 16m and a team like the leafs offer 5 @ 25 I think he would leave.
Toronto would be the last place he would sign!

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:46 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

Im sure he does want to stay in Boston but if another teams offers him a ridiculous contract, he will take it.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Oates2Neely

IF the season plays out and Horton is back to his usual self, Id say a fair number would be 5 or 5.5m for 3yrs. He loves Boston, Boston loves him..perfect fit, plus he plays 'tougher' knowing Lucic has his back. IMO Horton stays in Boston.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Toronto would be the last place he would sign!
just using them as an example.. I think he would sign with a team in the northeast.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:01 AM
don

To many uknowns at this time. Ask again after we see him play AND after the new CBA.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Boston will offer more than 4 mil a year if they want to retain him, Chiarelli gives all of his players raises and Horton makes 4 now.

Plus, Horton likely wont get to free agency to give the Leafs the opportunity. If Horton can prove hes healthy Chiarelli will try to re sign him asap. If Horton gets to free agency hes likely as good as gone. People would definitely overpay for a player like him.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Im sure he does want to stay in Boston but if another teams offers him a ridiculous contract, he will take it.
Oh he will? How do you know this? You know, people sometimes take less money to stay in a place they WANT to be.

Horton loves Boston, loves the team, plays his best with Lucic and Chara on the ice, and has a very good shot at winning more Stanley Cups.

Like I said before, I highly doubt he leaves, unless his money demands are just ridiculous. If he wants Lucic money, be my guest and leave via UFA.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Oh he will? How do you know this? You know, people sometimes take less money to stay in a place they WANT to be.

Horton loves Boston, loves the team, plays his best with Lucic and Chara on the ice, and has a very good shot at winning more Stanley Cups.

Like I said before, I highly doubt he leaves, unless his money demands are just ridiculous. If he wants Lucic money, be my guest and leave via UFA.
Parise loved NJ, Briere loved Buffalo, Suter loved NSH, Richards loved Dallas... Campbell loved Buffalo. Players chase money it happens all the time.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

I dont know much about him to be honest but I will bet there is 1 thing he loves more than all you mentioned. That is money.

if the offer is close then sure he stays in Boston, if its alot, He'll be gone.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:37 AM
T-Funk

by telephone!

no wait, fax!

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Boston will offer more than 4 mil a year if they want to retain him, Chiarelli gives all of his players raises and Horton makes 4 now.

Plus, Horton likely wont get to free agency to give the Leafs the opportunity. If Horton can prove hes healthy Chiarelli will try to re sign him asap. If Horton gets to free agency hes likely as good as gone. People would definitely overpay for a player like him.
Horton would certainly love to stay in Boston, and why shouldn't he? He has a good thing going there. But, assuming there's a season with all things being equal, Horton has a salary of 5.5mil this year. I highly doubt he wants to drop from that. Under the old CBA I'm certain he'd accept a 6 year front loaded contract from Boston for around that cap hit. 7m, 7m, 5m, 5m, 4m, 4m (5.33mil cap hit).

Now, under the new CBA, players are likely looking at a salary roll back. Horton may decide he doesn't want to take less than what he's worth now to offset that, who knows. In which case, he may demand a 5 year contract at around 5.75mil-6mil per season. This is all speculation on my part, but I feel upcoming UFAs will likely look to maximize contract values after this lockout to compensate for salary lost. I doubt they'll be as inclined to give out hometown discounts. Maybe Horton is different and this doesn't apply directly to him, but its certainly a trend I think we should all expect.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I dont know much about him to be honest but I will bet there is 1 thing he loves more than all you mentioned. That is money.

if the offer is close then sure he stays in Boston, if its alot, He'll be gone.
And again, you or I have no clue what he wants/doesnt want, so your post means nothing, and saying things like "he likes money more" and "he'll be gone" is just completely absurd.

The whole, "player X left for more money so player Y could too" argument, which is always a possibility, I guess. Bottom line is, you have 0 clue whether Horton would go to team X offering 6.5 a year or Boston offering 5.5 a year, because neither of us know whats going on in his head.

All we know is, he loves Boston and everything that comes with it, and he has a very good chance to compete for Cups for the remainder of his career. His friends are here, hes played great hockey here, and could feasibly get a good contract here. Judging by his interviews/various comments about the city/everything that comes with it, I will be genuinely surprised if he doesnt re sign in Boston.

I also referred to this in my first post with "if his money demands are ridiculously too high then I don't see him leaving," so I dont see why this is an issue.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Parise loved NJ, Briere loved Buffalo, Suter loved NSH, Richards loved Dallas... Campbell loved Buffalo. Players chase money it happens all the time.
So your argument is that "its happened before so it could happen to Horton?" Great stuff there. All I said was I highly doubt he'll leave Boston, except if his money demands are egregiously outlandish.

Judging by his interviews/comments over his time here about how much he loves the city and everything that comes with it, I highly doubt hed leave and go chase the cash elsewhere when the Bruins assumingly would offer him a reasonable deal and a chance to win.

Simplified, if Horton receives a "fair" deal by his estimation, I highly doubt hed leave to go to a random team strictly for extra cash. Not to mention, Chiarelli has been known to "overpay" his players a tad, so I'm sure if he remains here he'll be happy as a clam with his salary.

You are right tho, granted, I don't know whats going on in Hortons head, all I have is my opinion based on what I've seen/read. Take that for what its worth.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Horton would certainly love to stay in Boston, and why shouldn't he? He has a good thing going there. But, assuming there's a season with all things being equal, Horton has a salary of 5.5mil this year. I highly doubt he wants to drop from that. Under the old CBA I'm certain he'd accept a 6 year front loaded contract from Boston for around that cap hit. 7m, 7m, 5m, 5m, 4m, 4m (5.33mil cap hit).

Now, under the new CBA, players are likely looking at a salary roll back. Horton may decide he doesn't want to take less than what he's worth now to offset that, who knows. In which case, he may demand a 5 year contract at around 5.75mil-6mil per season. This is all speculation on my part, but I feel upcoming UFAs will likely look to maximize contract values after this lockout to compensate for salary lost. I doubt they'll be as inclined to give out hometown discounts. Maybe Horton is different and this doesn't apply directly to him, but its certainly a trend I think we should all expect.
You're right, good post. I'm gonna stay away from the CBA talk, you seem like more of an expert than me

I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen/read, and Horton doesn't seem (key word there, I dont actually know) to want to leave. Also, if Boston offers him 5.5 a year, do we REALLY think a team is gonna go 7 mil for him? Eesh, I doubt that.

My opinion is speculation, but its not baseless speculation. Horton seems to love being a Bruin, and Chiarelli has been known to give his core players (of which Horton is one) favorable deals. If Chiarelli wants Horton, I feel comfortable wagering Horton will get a fair enough deal to not want to go "chase the cash."

Old
11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
You're right, good post. I'm gonna stay away from the CBA talk, you seem like more of an expert than me

I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen/read, and Horton doesn't seem (key word there, I dont actually know) to want to leave. Also, if Boston offers him 5.5 a year, do we REALLY think a team is gonna go 7 mil for him? Eesh, I doubt that.

My opinion is speculation, but its not baseless speculation. Horton seems to love being a Bruin, and Chiarelli has been known to give his core players (of which Horton is one) favorable deals. If Chiarelli wants Horton, I feel comfortable wagering Horton will get a fair enough deal to not want to go "chase the cash."
Buffalo went 7.5 for doan so ya I bet they go 7 for horton

Old
11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Henrik To Daniel

I don't see him sticking around in Boston. He has already won a Cup and there will be teams who have more cap space than the Bruins. He's probably going to want to cash in because he's in the prime of his career

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Buffalo went 7.5 for doan so ya I bet they go 7 for horton
And Doan took far less money to stay in the city he wanted to stay in ........

Like the others, your argument is "player X did it so player Y could too." If this argument gets used, what the hell is the point of this thread?

Its speculation, but at least my argument isnt based upon an argument of "someone else doing it so Horton could do it too." Horton loves Boston and Chiarelli pays his players well...doesnt exactly sound like a situation where hed high tail it out of here for extra cash, especially if that meant signing in Buffalo...

Old
11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
I don't see him sticking around in Boston. He has already won a Cup and there will be teams who have more cap space than the Bruins. He's probably going to want to cash in because he's in the prime of his career
Just like Lucic, Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron, and Marchand?

Bruins will have plenty of cap space when Thomas is off the books. Savards not even on IR yet either. Depends on the CBA obviously tho (implied at this point I think).

Old
11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
And Doan took far less money to stay in the city he wanted to stay in ........

Like the others, your argument is "player X did it so player Y could too." If this argument gets used, what the hell is the point of this thread?

Its speculation, but at least my argument isnt based upon an argument of "someone else doing it so Horton could do it too." Horton loves Boston and Chiarelli pays his players well...doesnt exactly sound like a situation where hed high tail it out of here for extra cash, especially if that meant signing in Buffalo...
you did say you doubted a team would go to 7 so thats why I mentioned buffalo