HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 4th: and here we wait in trade-completion limbo

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
trellaine201

vCash: 500
can someone sticky or change title thread once we know its "official" and maybe a time for the presser?

thanks

Old
11-15-2012, 11:14 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i can see a bonifacio/davis platoon in lf for sure
but that opens up other questions

do we have a 2b?
izturis gets 9mil for 3 yrs to be a backup ? - seems alot

gose/rasmus
does one get traded ?
if not this yr then next ?
I'd be ok with those 2 in LF

I don't think you need to make a decision on rasmus/gose now. You let things play out and see where they're both at.

If gose is ready, he'll force our hands. Maybe you move Rasmus to LF, or trade him. Depends what you'd want in LF, if he has more value in a trade.

Quote:
if AA is sold on Bonifacio in LF...
he could trade gose or rasmus plus a catcher for.....
Gose isn't ready enough to move. You have to see what you have in both him and rasmus before you decide anything

Old
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Gose isn't ready enough to move. You have to see what you have in both him and rasmus before you decide anything
I think both of those guys are poised to breakout Gose to become an everyday player and Rasmus to become an impact player. I like the Rasmus-Alex Gordon comparison. They can easily co-exist with Rasmus moving to LF long term... he's got enough pop for his bat to play at a corner infield spot.

He may not pan out, but for the first time in a while whoever manges will have serious options.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
but all Davis is a 4th outfielder, pinch runner on a good team
And that's what he'd be on this team.

Bonifacio is not a top left fielder by any means, but with all the offence we have throughout the lineup right now, his speed and hitting ability is necessary at the #2 hole or bottom of the order. He still walks at a good rate, and his strikeout percentage is not nearly as bad as others on the team, in the division, or the league.

He's a good fit, capable of starting in the outfield on a lot of teams.

Also his defence is better than Davis, and is actually good in LF.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Buckleys

Are people comfortable enough letting d'Arnaud, Buck and Wilson handle catching duties, or want to keep JPA until TDA proves himself?

Also has anyone ever looked at Izturis' home VS away splits? I don't want to look through thousands of posts to find the info but its wild, .292 career away, .211 home for career

Old
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
i think guys are severely underating happ here. i was at the game vs. Texas where he had 9 k's through like 5 innings. he was absolutely disgusting. as a #5 happ is more than enough imo. its not like we'd be trotting josh towers out there every 5th day.

he doesn't have the ability to give you 200 innings...but that's why he's your 5th starter
This!

Old
11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
how good is TDA? he's been hurt or been in a stupid league a while now...i don't know how to gauge him.

ppl talk like he's a generational talent at catcher. but the ability follow it up with "above average across the board". he's already breaking down it seems with "catcher related injuries". what do we have with him? are we talking buster posey?
It was a fluke injury, the 2B landed on his knee as he slid into 2nd

Old
11-15-2012, 11:40 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Bonifacio is a near perfect fit, and is the most underrated portion of this trade.

Guy can play both positions where we have holes to fill. He has blinding speed, and definitely a better glove than Rajai.

Bonifacio should start.. whether its in left or at 2nd. Izturis could start at 2nd, but I think he was signed as a supersub... and we're better off having him get Bonifacio, Reyes and Lawrie days off rather than have him play everyday.

Also I'm not sure if anyone heard... but Blair brought up an interesting point on the air today. Mentioned the name of Jerry Manuel. Experience with Buerhle managing the white sox and Reyes managing the Mets. Has the Expos tie as well. Has a world series, but not as a manager... so he is likely still hungry.

Thoughts?
No no no. Bonifacio isn't good defensively at 2nd, he's adequate at best. I think Izturis was brought in to play 2B. I dont think you give a guy 9million to be a bench player.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:46 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I think both of those guys are poised to breakout Gose to become an everyday player and Rasmus to become an impact player. I like the Rasmus-Alex Gordon comparison. They can easily co-exist with Rasmus moving to LF long term... he's got enough pop for his bat to play at a corner infield spot.

He may not pan out, but for the first time in a while whoever manges will have serious options.
I totally agree.

I think they're going to have a big year.

My point was that if rasmus breaks out, you might get more in return as a trade. Maybe you get a starter and a LF that takes over in LF rather than Rasmus.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

I feel mad all of a sudden, only because Miami didn't include Stanton in a deal. I mean just imagine the young core...

Gose
Lawrie
Stanton
d'Arnaud

dirty core, just so nasty.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Are people comfortable enough letting d'Arnaud, Buck and Wilson handle catching duties, or want to keep JPA until TDA proves himself?

Also has anyone ever looked at Izturis' home VS away splits? I don't want to look through thousands of posts to find the info but its wild, .292 career away, .211 home for career
I would be. I think you can ease in d'Arnaud if anything by having him split time at catcher with Buck, maybe play d'Arnaud at DH/1B in a platoon situation with Lind while Buck catches.

I wouldn't be comfortable trading JPA if we're not acquiring some starting depth though.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:57 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post

I don't even consider Buck that much of a downgrade from Arencibia. Despite his terrible batting average he still had a better OBP than JPA and he's better defensively.. if AA is convinced TDA can play in the majors and can get someone who can help us for Arencibia I don't have a problem with him being traded.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
I don't think this Organization can trade JP just like that. From a Marketing point of view and a fan point of view hes not going anywhere or it's not so simple to just trade him for anybody.
So if we do trade a catcher one of the other catchers might go and not JP that's what i believe.
There are only two players on this team that have marketing profiles big enough to give management pause if they considered trading them: Bautista & Lawrie. And even in those two cases, if the deal that came along was right and could justify the loss of them, it would still get done.

In terms of marketing and fan interest, success trumps individual star power every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
It's my understanding, that is the reason Darvish signed in Texas because of the taxes, even though we had the best offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Possibly your right but I read somewhere that taxation was a big factor and at the time.
No, it quite literally can't be. As soon as Texas won the posting bid (a sealed process based entirely on being the highest dollar figure submitted), they were the only team he could sign with. The tax situation in Toronto vs Texas was completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
can someone sticky or change title thread once we know its "official" and maybe a time for the presser?

thanks
I plan to.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
Selig says the #marlins trade is under review
Don't know if this has been posted.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Does anybody know the name of the Buffalo business writer? Curious to see what he is saying about the trade because it sent a few players that would have played in Buffalo.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
Apparently Marlin fan reaction is being considered??? ****. what a shamble. If this trade is veto'd ill **** a brick on Selig.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:02 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
I feel mad all of a sudden, only because Miami didn't include Stanton in a deal. I mean just imagine the young core...

Gose
Lawrie
Stanton
d'Arnaud

dirty core, just so nasty.
I would have loved Stanton but the package we sent would have been that much crazier

Old
11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Its not even a bad deal for the Marlins. Its basically a free wallet trade. 2 years ago the marlins had nothing to even trade.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I would have loved Stanton but the package we sent would have been that much crazier
I would not be opposed to add Sanchez/Synder, JP and another prospect with some potential.

I'm just drooling over the thought, I know Marlins fans would riot if Stanton left.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201..._marlins_fans/

Quote:
As Toronto Blue Jays fans anxiously wait for the reported 12-player blockbuster trade with Miami Marlins to become official, Bud Selig will no doubt raise some heart rates even further with his comments Thursday.

Speaking to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the commissioner of MLB says he is in the process of reviewing the transaction and appears to be in no rush to make a ruling.

Quote:
It was later reported Selig isn't a fan of the deal but sees no reason to disallow the deal.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Apparently Marlin fan reaction is being considered??? ****. what a shamble. If this trade is veto'd ill **** a brick on Selig.
Jon Heyman: Selig not happy with the trade, but so far doesn't see a reason to block it.

I'm sure it will be fine, but I admit, the Toronto Inferiority Complex in me is out on the ledge, whimpering "Why can't we have nice things?".

Old
11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

It will probably be confirmed late tonight or tomorrow.

I just hope all the physicals went well and they don't see any injuries, at least nothing major.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Jon Heyman: Selig not happy with the trade, but so far doesn't see a reason to block it.

I'm sure it will be fine, but I admit, the Toronto Inferiority Complex in me is out on the ledge, whimpering "Why can't we have nice things?".
It also has me on edge, I don't like how long this is taking. Loria owning the Marlins is Selig's fault and he should have known that this could have happened.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:34 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

That sounds like Selig. Screw the Canadian team so that the 10 or so fans who show up for every Marlins game can see these guys. If they block this, I'm pretty much done with sports that Americans run and there happens to be a Canadian franchise. Always get screwed.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
It will probably be confirmed late tonight or tomorrow.

I just hope all the physicals went well and they don't see any injuries, at least nothing major.
I'm sure they did. Sounds like they are just waiting to see if Toronto gets to be allowed to compete. Allow every other fire sale out there but this one there is a problem???

Closed Thread