HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I have not been impressed by Hamilton from the Summer series or the OHL subway series, I like his game even less on the big ice surface. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make the starting 6, he may make the team as an extra, but I would leave him and Murphy home. Murphy has been a dissapointment this year, others have been more impressive than these 2 IMO. On merit they may not deserve making the team this year.
One does not simply leave the CHL Defenceman of the Year off the WJC roster.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:11 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Before I got to this sentence, that was exactly what I was going to say. Especially his first couple of months, you could tell he was being forced to pinch in a way he wasn't used to.
Yep. Which was unfortunate, because Beauchemin is a great defenseman.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
BlueMapleDawg

Yeah haha. No way in hell Hamilton gets left off the roster. He'll be our best player.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
Yeah haha. No way in hell Hamilton gets left off the roster. He'll be our best player.
Defence wise, right? Because I believe Nuge is gonna be on the team.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:44 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

A few notes from Ray Ferraro on TSN blue lunch. Couldnt catch all of what he said because he spoke fast, but man there is plenty of tire pumping that ill be missing in my summary below. (He was at the game last night)

Ray Ferraro: Burke underestimated his draft pick here. The kid is a stone cold lock to make the leafs. Rielly is a dominant player. He has a tilt forward that makes him look like Niedermyer. The way he eludes the fore-check in the defensive zone reminds me of leetch

Noodles: Do you think Morgan Rielly needs to make any adjustments to make the NHL?

Ray Ferraro: No. His IQ is incredibly high. At this level (subway series) he is a step ahead. Heavy on his stick, wins puck battles, edges on the side boards. I expected him to be one of the better players last night, and i left with all expectations met and exceeded. This is a blue chipper, this is a very exciting player. The leafs have an exciting future D core. The mobility on that back end is sweet. Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly are two excellent players. Stuart Percy looks great, everyone is raving about Finn but I haven’t seen him much.

Yada yada yada the back end is great. lol

Old
11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Dark Passenger

No matter how good this kid is, I hope they keep him in junior for another year. He missed almost the whole season last year and I dont really see too many negatives in letting him play a full year in the WHL playing in the WJC.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:18 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

I wish Rielly Percy and Finn would make the WJC.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Defence wise, right? Because I believe Nuge is gonna be on the team.
He's playing pro right now. Why would Edmonton loan him to play lesser hockey?

I WISH Rielly could be in the AHL right now.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
No matter how good this kid is, I hope they keep him in junior for another year. He missed almost the whole season last year and I dont really see too many negatives in letting him play a full year in the WHL playing in the WJC.
Yeah, I agree with this. This isn't the year that the Leafs make the jump to the next level, so let him develop a bit more. His defense needs polishing (he's not bad at D), and I'd like to see him up his physicality a bit.

Love the kid. Stoked to see him on the Leafs next year.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
A few notes from Ray Ferraro on TSN blue lunch. Couldnt catch all of what he said because he spoke fast, but man there is plenty of tire pumping that ill be missing in my summary below. (He was at the game last night)

Ray Ferraro: Burke underestimated his draft pick here. The kid is a stone cold lock to make the leafs. Rielly is a dominant player. He has a tilt forward that makes him look like Niedermyer. The way he eludes the fore-check in the defensive zone reminds me of leetch

Noodles: Do you think Morgan Rielly needs to make any adjustments to make the NHL?

Ray Ferraro: No. His IQ is incredibly high. At this level (subway series) he is a step ahead. Heavy on his stick, wins puck battles, edges on the side boards. I expected him to be one of the better players last night, and i left with all expectations met and exceeded. This is a blue chipper, this is a very exciting player. The leafs have an exciting future D core. The mobility on that back end is sweet. Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly are two excellent players. Stuart Percy looks great, everyone is raving about Finn but I havenít seen him much.

I don't think Burke "underestimated" Rielly when he flat-out said Morgan was the best player in the draft.

Odd that Razor would say such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I agree. I'd like to see him continue dominating at the Junior level before the jump to the NHL but he's clearly a step above everyone else. He should be playing pro. I almost wish he'd go to the SEL or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
I wish Rielly Percy and Finn would make the WJC.
Not with the available returnees. Percy has an outside shot at cracking the roster but I doubt it. Finn isn't unique enough to be seriously considered.

I like both prospects but I'm being realistic here...

Old
11-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
He's playing pro right now. Why would Edmonton loan him to play lesser hockey?

I WISH Rielly could be in the AHL right now.
Because he never competed in the tournament?

I think he wants to represent Canada in that tournament and go for Gold. He was cut in 10/11, NHL season prevented him in 11/12, might as well allow him now that there's a lockout.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:29 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

Ray Ferraro: No. His IQ is incredibly high. At this level (subway series) he is a step ahead. Heavy on his stick, wins puck battles, edges on the side boards. I expected him to be one of the better players last night, and i left with all expectations met and exceeded. This is a blue chipper, this is a very exciting player. The leafs have an exciting future D core. The mobility on that back end is sweet. Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly are two excellent players. Stuart Percy looks great, everyone is raving about Finn but I haven’t seen him much.

I personally have always liked Ray's hockey mind and respect it very much. So I always like listening to him on the radio and like reading his player reviews.

Now is the time where Burke's first draft picks can slowly start making an impact on a professional level, and we're starting to see some very serviceable players developing.

I am sure that Ross, Broll and Biggs will all be competent NHL'ers in some capacity due to their roles that they could play. All are "safe" picks in terms of being NHL'ers at some point.

Morgan Rielly wasn't exactly whom I was targeting at that 5th pick, but I will be the first to admit I didn't even pay attention to him in that slot because of his injury plagued draft season.

I think it is safe to assume that Morgan has all the potential to be a Top 2 defender on our team, or any team in this league.

He would be a nice compliment to slide along side Dion, or even someone like Finn if/when he develops.

A defensive core of Dion Phaneuf, Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner really is going to be the staple of this franchise. That is not even mentioning the potentials of Finn, Percy, Blacker, Holzer and others waiting in the wings.

I have always liked Burke, I have always been a Burke supporter!

Burke realizes what AA has done for this city, and he truly wants to make a similar move in terms of impact and hype when this season gets underway.

Could be interesting.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
I personally have always liked Ray's hockey mind and respect it very much. So I always like listening to him on the radio and like reading his player reviews.

Now is the time where Burke's first draft picks can slowly start making an impact on a professional level, and we're starting to see some very serviceable players developing.

I am sure that Ross, Broll and Biggs will all be competent NHL'ers in some capacity due to their roles that they could play. All are "safe" picks in terms of being NHL'ers at some point.

Morgan Rielly wasn't exactly whom I was targeting at that 5th pick, but I will be the first to admit I didn't even pay attention to him in that slot because of his injury plagued draft season.

I think it is safe to assume that Morgan has all the potential to be a Top 2 defender on our team, or any team in this league.

He would be a nice compliment to slide along side Dion, or even someone like Finn if/when he develops.

A defensive core of Dion Phaneuf, Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner really is going to be the staple of this franchise. That is not even mentioning the potentials of Finn, Percy, Blacker, Holzer and others waiting in the wings.

I have always liked Burke, I have always been a Burke supporter!

Burke realizes what AA has done for this city, and he truly wants to make a similar move in terms of impact and hype when this season gets underway.

Could be interesting.
if burke pulls off a trade anywhere close to the AA trade this city might blow up.... serious.... and i really hope it does.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:32 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Pod Cast is up .. Ray Ferraro direct translation:

Quote:
What did you think of Morgan Rielly last night ray?

For the first time in a long time I would say Burkey was underestimating his guy. When he says heís got a potential to play on the team, heís a stone cold lock. That kid is a terrific player. I came away from there most impressed with just every facet of his game. Uhm I know him from around here, you know ive seen him a few years uhm heís always been just a fabulous skater heís got this forward tilt to his skating that makes him look like Niedermyer on the ice, heís made a couple of moves in the defensive zone where the fore-checker was right on his back and he has this escape ability that reminded me of brian Leetch uhm now im not saying he is these guys, but he is as good a prospect as Toronto has had in years. Like he is a top end kid, he skated miles last night and it looked like he was in a rocking chair while doing it.

He is dynamic, I cant imagine the coronary that randy Carlyle is going to have when he has Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly zipping around the zone there. Gardiner plays with no pulse when hes got the puck and neither does Rielly. And I say that with a measure of respect its hard to play the game and not be nervous when you have the puck. I mean thatís what the better players are able to do and at this level Rielly is a dominant player. Iíd be interested to see, you know if you look at it if you build a defense going forward and you have Gardiner on one pair and Rielly on another pair; man youíve got some pretty sweet mobility and then with some of the other young prospects they have, Percy is a very good player uhm you know everybody likes Finn I donít know him that well but man theyíve got some really really good people coming on their blue line.

Q: Anything in his game that you could see he would have to adjust to step into the nhl?

No. Because I didnít find him an over handler of the puck which is a real knock on young players. They are better then other people at junior and they hang on to the puck for to long and what I see with him, is that when he sees open ice heís got the puck and heís gone. He doesnít have to slow down; the puck is not an anchor. But when he doesnít see open ice he delivers it to the forward at the right time in the right place and the kids got the zone. His IQ of the game seems to be very high, I mean of course hes going to have to get stronger I found him to be uhm again at this level I find him a step ahead. Heís really heavy on his stick, he wins puck battles, you know heís not a crazy physical player, but when some bodies trying to take him wide he edges him out and finishes him off on the side-wall. I just loved his game last night. I came expecting him to be one of the better players and I was left not even one iota disappointed.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
BlueMapleDawg

I really respect Ferraro's opinion. Moreso than any other high profile panelist/analyst.

Excellent for him to speak so highly of Rielly after only one real game.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
if burke pulls off a trade anywhere close to the AA trade this city might blow up.... serious.... and i really hope it does.
I wouldn't say Burke's next move would be anywhere close to AA's in terms of magnitude and numbers.

But apparently people can see Burke's' passion thrown back into action after seeing AA take such a gamble and inspire the city.

This is a hockey town, and Burke wants to keep it that way!

Old
11-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
I'm no baseball buff

I would say the Phaneuf deal(a 7 player trade) in a salary cap league is probably close to as impressive as the one pulled of by the Jays few days ago.

Just me tho.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:43 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

As someone who admittedly didn't know a ton about Rielly given he missed a large portion of the year - I have to admit..he's looking, at least amongst his peers, like a stud. I've caught a few of his games, but to stand out amongst top competition is something special.

I thought Burke was off his rocker a bit with the whole 'we had him at #1 on our board' .. but maybe they weren't too far off (in that draft year at least).

Hopefully he continues to impress tonight.

11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
'D' who can skate like Gardiner, Rielly, and Phaneuf should have a green light to pinch. They should also be encouraged to get involved in the offense, by joining the rush. I am more concerned about the goalies making mistakes while the puck is in the 'd' zone. That's where the 'd' begin to "run around" and do too much. Without the proper goalie, the problems will continue.
This was a relatively minor issue compared to our defensive system. Yes, the goalies mishandled the puck a lot (all 3 of them), and at times, this may have resulted in bad goals and/or sustained pressure. Our defensive system was directly responsible for 4-5 golden scoring chances against each, and every game.

If you fix the defense, the pressure on the goalies will be reduced tremendously, and even if they bobble the puck once in a while, it won't have nearly as much of an effect on the results of the game as it did for the last few seasons.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I'm no baseball buff

I would say the Phaneuf deal(a 7 player trade) in a salary cap league is probably close to as impressive as the one pulled of by the Jays few days ago.

Just me tho.
It's not nearly as shiny as AA's deal.

He acquired 4 former all-stars, 2 of which are still top in their positions.

Burke even commented on saying AA has big balls to complete a deal like this. I mean when a guy like Burke, known for completing these high profile deals gives you high praise, it's pretty insane.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:54 PM
4evaBlue

The only negative impression I got from watching him play last night is that he didn't seem as fast as I was expecting him to be. He is a great skater, and has wicked mobility, but I was expecting Gardiner/Kessel-like top speed. He got beat to a few races to the puck in the defensive zone last night, but it could be due to him easing off to avoid getting creamed on the plexiglass.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
This was a relatively minor issue compared to our defensive system. Yes, the goalies mishandled the puck a lot (all 3 of them), and at times, this may have resulted in bad goals and/or sustained pressure. Our defensive system was directly responsible for 4-5 golden scoring chances against each, and every game.

If you fix the defense, the pressure on the goalies will be reduced tremendously, and even if they bobble the puck once in a while, it won't have nearly as much of an effect on the results of the game as it did for the last few seasons.
I do believe we are not connecting. This has more to do with the goalies lack of ability to be in the correct position while the puck is in the 'd' zone. This comes from several deficiencies in their skill set. (Handling the puck is not part of that particular problem.) It's their poor instincts, and understanding of positioning that is of greater concern. This allows for 'weak' goals. Consequently, the 'd' core begin to do too much. They 'run' (get out of position) and they start to look 'bad'.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:

Burke even commented on saying AA has big balls to complete a deal like this. I mean when a guy like Burke, known for completing these high profile deals gives you high praise, it's pretty insane.
I saw that, And I'm discrediting anyone.

I'm just saying a deal like that isn't possible in the NHL cause I would imagine that the NHL players comparable to the Jays/Marlins deal would probably be worth about 15-25 million dollars worth of a cap coming going one way, And if prospects are only going back the other way it won't work.

That's why I think Phaneuf deal when you take the financial restrictions and rules into consideration is a very impressive trade in comparison.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:05 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:

Not as shiny but potentially as impressive. He essentially grabbed a number 1 dman who wasn't even in the latter half of his twenties.

Sometimes I think people don't realize how adept at trading Burke is. Look at some of the trades he pulled off.

Getting Gardiner/Lupul, Phaneuf and potential JVR. These are three separate trades that could very well be looked as a trades that acquired core pieces for his team. Phaneuf the team's number 1 dman, Lupul the top LW, Gardiner the teams future at defense, and JVR potentially a long term top 6 piece.

The AA deal was intense and it would be amazing if Burke can pull off something similar, but I do think he's already done so to a certain extent.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I do believe we are not connecting. This has more to do with the goalies lack of ability to be in the correct position while the puck is in the 'd' zone. This comes from several deficiencies in their skill set. (Handling the puck is not part of that particular problem.) It's their poor instincts, and understanding of positioning that is of greater concern. This allows for 'weak' goals. Consequently, the 'd' core begin to do too much. They 'run' (get out of position) and they start to look 'bad'.
While that's true to an extent, it still pales in comparison to the effects of a defensive system that allows Jagr two breakaways in a single game. And to make it worse, both were while we were on the PK.

A goalie mishandling the puck, or making poor decisions with it may or may not result in a goal against. Inexcusable defense lapses (mostly due to the system) like described above will more than likely end up in the back of the net, and even if they don't, they'll have your goalie walking on pins and needles.

Closed Thread