HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Does Anybody Here Remember Vera Lynn? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXVIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I kind've hope they'd just cancel the season so that my hopes can't get up at any point despite the fact that, let's face it, there's not going to be a deal.
Sadly, I have moved to this camp. ^^^^

just get it over with, put us all out of our hockey-misery.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
MikeK

vCash: 14214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Socal View Post
I have been saying already they won't meet until after Thanksgiving.

I was a firm believer that a deal would get done. Now, unless the union decertifies like the NBA you can forget it.

I think there is a 1 percent chance at a season at this point. The NHL is done trying to create some movement forward and Don is telling the players wait till this summer ill kill the cap.

I'm pretty ashamed of this entire process but I love NHL hockey otherwise I wouldn't be posting here.
It is really sad how we have to kill th sport for a season to get a new CBA.
I agree. Just goes to show where NHL players rank in terms of intelligence compared to other pro athletes. I don't blame the players as much as I blame Fehr. Fehr has lead the players down a dead end road and the players are dumb enough to listen and follow like sheep.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
How many teams who have signed these deals do we hear complaining? You mean the Wild owner, correct?
This is a common misconception.

Craig Leipold has not complained about the Parise/Suter contracts. The mistake lies in the fact that he happily approved these two contracts and at the same time, was stating that the Wild had lost money the previous two seasons.

I believe the paraphrasing he used to describe the two contracts was; Great for the future, within the rules of the current CBA, and that he can’t wait to see the product on the ice.

Once the gag order comes off, I can about guarantee you that we will find out that Leipold was one of the louder voices in trying to get the season going. He is, if you ever have a chance to watch him at a Wild game/road game, a FAN first and foremost. It killed him to watch the team that he purchased go from winning the NW to a cellar dweller.

While it seems hypocritical to sign two 98 million/13 year contracts at the same time he is “crying poor” (to use a certain agent’s term), The fact of the matter is that the Wild’s fan base had to live through games like this, and momentum was LOST. He regained it with these two contracts.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
But pro-PA guys on here would have them lose a whole year of earning and possibly their careers for...well, nothing.
I feel that is a misrepresentation of a lot of clearly intelligent posters that are very vocal about being on the PA's side of things (and are also on my ever growing ignore list).
To them this is clearly about class warfare. They feel the owners, who only care about how much money they make, will always try to make their employees unhappy if it makes them richer. Clearly they feel they are fighting the good fight: it's about the little guy standing up to the big bad robot which only desires to make money and the time has come for the last stand.
Some think the players are entitled to everything the owners make because they fudge the books, others think that if the PA doesn't make this as hard as possible on the owners it means total surrender and will indicate that the owners can go ahead and bulldoze the players in accepting whatever they want (I mean look at the thread about the owner of the MLB team in Miami: clearly his actions mean that pro-sports teams owners are never to be trusted, in the same way that Matt Cooke proved that all hockey players are despicable and have no concern for other's health)

All in all it all comes down to responsibility: the players have a responsibility in participating in these talks and a responsibility towards the health of the League. They have failed, miserably at that, to live up to those (not so lofty) expectations on the ground that the playing field is not even and that they need to make this as hard as possible to establish their foothold.

They don't feel this is nothing because they've decided that to get what they want they'll screw over everybody; they've become what they claim to be fighting against. Just like the atheist who tells people that don't share his views that they are wrong and should conform to their view, the PA has now become what it vilifies in the name of principle. It's rather discouraging.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
HockeyCrazed101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Craig Leipold has not complained about the Parise/Suter contracts. The mistake lies in the fact that he happily approved these two contracts and at the same time, was stating that the Wild had lost money the previous two seasons.

I believe the paraphrasing he used to describe the two contracts was; Great for the future, within the rules of the current CBA, and that he can’t wait to see the product on the ice.

Once the gag order comes off, I can about guarantee you that we will find out that Leipold was one of the louder voices in trying to get the season going. He is, if you ever have a chance to watch him at a Wild game/road game, a FAN first and foremost. It killed him to watch the team that he purchased go from winning the NW to a cellar dweller.

While it seems hypocritical to sign two 98 million/13 year contracts at the same time he is “crying poor” (to use a certain agent’s term), The fact of the matter is that the Wild’s fan base had to live through games like this, and momentum was LOST. He regained it with these two contracts.
The optics look bad when he's at the bargaining table while the league needing to cap contract lengths, however, the reality of the situation, I don't disagree with you. I don't know the guy or how he operates but I'm not holding any party to blame for using the means available to do what they felt needed to be done. Whether it's an owner's desire to be competitive or a player's desire for financial security, I'm not going to wag my finger at you. I'm assuming that they person was referring to Leipold as many other people on here have mentioned him and even players have mentioned which is why I brought up the point that people can't overlook the context of his presence at the bargaining table. He's there as a representative of the owners and whether he likes the leagues terms, hates them or was the mastermind behind them, it doesn't matter, you don't look at him sitting across the table from you and stupidly assume that he's only representing himself.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
As a fan, how can you not like 2-year ELC's and 5-year contract limits? To me, it means more player movement, young guys getting into real money earlier, and less dead-weight contracts. Come on, every fan here probably has someone on the roster of their favorite team that they wish was a couple of years further along in his contract because he simply didn't pan out, and isn't producing.

It would create more of a competitive environment amongst the players. If you're a rookie who is good enough to stay in the bigs, you get out of your ELC a year earlier. If not, too bad. And old vets should be looking over their shoulder at the young ones coming up. They better keep their skills and conditioning up because they'll need to sign a new contract every 5 years.

I mean isn't this the way it should be? Pay and position based more on performance, and less on potential or prospect?

Old
11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
As a fan, how can you not like 2-year ELC's and 5-year contract limits? To me, it means more player movement, young guys getting into real money earlier, and less dead-weight contracts. Come on, every fan here probably has someone on the roster of their favorite team that they wish was a couple of years further along in his contract because he simply didn't pan out, and isn't producing.

It would create more of a competitive environment amongst the players. If you're a rookie who is good enough to stay in the bigs, you get out of your ELC a year earlier. If not, too bad. And old vets should be looking over their shoulder at the young ones coming up. They better keep their skills and conditioning up because they'll need to sign a new contract every 5 years.

I mean isn't this the way it should be? Pay and position based more on performance, and less on potential or prospect?
I agree. It's the older players who have a problem with this because they can no longer sign ridiculous length deals and coast into retirement.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I feel that is a misrepresentation of a lot of clearly intelligent posters that are very vocal about being on the PA's side of things (and are also on my ever growing ignore list).
To them this is clearly about class warfare. They feel the owners, who only care about how much money they make, will always try to make their employees unhappy if it makes them richer. Clearly they feel they are fighting the good fight: it's about the little guy standing up to the big bad robot which only desires to make money and the time has come for the last stand.
Some think the players are entitled to everything the owners make because they fudge the books, others think that if the PA doesn't make this as hard as possible on the owners it means total surrender and will indicate that the owners can go ahead and bulldoze the players in accepting whatever they want (I mean look at the thread about the owner of the MLB team in Miami: clearly his actions mean that pro-sports teams owners are never to be trusted, in the same way that Matt Cooke proved that all hockey players are despicable and have no concern for other's health)

All in all it all comes down to responsibility: the players have a responsibility in participating in these talks and a responsibility towards the health of the League. They have failed, miserably at that, to live up to those (not so lofty) expectations on the ground that the playing field is not even and that they need to make this as hard as possible to establish their foothold.

They don't feel this is nothing because they've decided that to get what they want they'll screw over everybody; they've become what they claim to be fighting against. Just like the atheist who tells people that don't share his views that they are wrong and should conform to their view, the PA has now become what it vilifies in the name of principle. It's rather discouraging.

What's humorous about this is. If you put all the NHL players and owners salaries (from nhl ownership) in a list from largest to smallest, only about 3 or 4 owners would be in the top 25.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
He's there as a representative of the owners and whether he likes the leagues terms, hates them or was the mastermind behind them, it doesn't matter, you don't look at him sitting across the table from you and stupidly assume that he's only representing himself.
Fully agree…

If emotion is removed from people’s perception, logic will prevail. There are definitely owners out there that despise the long and back diving contracts allowed in the 05CBA. I would put money on it that even Ed Snider doesn’t like them, even though he was the one that approved more of them than anyone else. At that point, however, precedence had already been set.

Precedence, and the inertia of realizing that in order to be competitive, these long and back diving contracts had to be embraced was further emphasized in the UFA signings the summer of 2011. When 2nd tier defensemen like Erhoff and Wyz were getting signed to these “cap circumvention” deals…

/facepalm

Old
11-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I agree. It's the older players who have a problem with this because they can no longer sign ridiculous length deals and coast into retirement.
It's a very small group of players who would be affected by the change. Even older players are largely unaffected. This mostly affects players in the mid-late 20's whom are hitting their prime and are among the top 30ish in points. Everyone else gets a max of 5 years already anyway (usually less).

Old
11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
so players can be UFA at 21-22?

you can kiss the small market teams good bye.
Why? The big market teams are still limited to how much they can spend due to the cap. I am not talking about a baseball-type system. Let's say Hall was a UFA this year and Montreal decides to offer him the max. They can't offer every 21-year old UFA max money.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:47 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Why? The big market teams are still limited to how much they can spend due to the cap. I am not talking about a baseball-type system. Let's say Hall was a UFA this year and Montreal decides to offer him the max. They can't offer every 21-year old UFA max money.
Makes the draft fairly redundant as well. Edmonton gets 2 years out of Hall and RNH and Eberle and has no real "first offer" clause or anything like that. Edmonton could come back and offer Carey Price and Subban max money, with the money they would have had to spend on their guys.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:49 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
It's a very small group of players who would be affected by the change. Even older players are largely unaffected. This mostly affects players in the mid-late 20's whom are hitting their prime and are among the top 30ish in points. Everyone else gets a max of 5 years already anyway (usually less).
Yeah, good point. So why is it really worth worrying about from a players standpoint. It will have very little effect on the majority of the players. Just another narrow minded direction from Fehr.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Please explain, with numbers, how the players "got fleeced" by playing under the last CBA.

The same CBA that the NHLPA and money players have stated publicly that they want to continue to play under.
When i say history i mean before the last CBA was even signed.
I'm talking about the level of mistrust that remains between player and commissioner/owner. It's the whole reason the NHLPA went out and got their own bully.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBuckeyeRob View Post
The lower salary structure for players with less experience is a throwback to the pre-cap days in sports that has likely remained behind because the veterans control more voting power in any players association. In the case of the NFL, the rookies hurt by the change weren't even drafted yet so they didn't even get to vote.
I agree. I could understand the veteran players wanting the higher UFA age, higher arbitration age. However, it shouldn't matter to the OWNERS. They are going to pay a total of $60million (or whatever is eventually agreed upon). Whether the biggest individual check goes to the 23 year old or the 33 year old is not going to impact the owners bottom line.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Leipold is one of the 4 owners part of the negotiation committee from the NHL side. So he's pretty close into negotiations. Philly, Boston and Nashville owners are completing the group. You've got there 3 out of 4 owners giving good exemples how NHL owners screw eachother.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Bill Daly says "I'm more discouraged now than I have been at any point in the process." ... ... http://m.tmi.me/ze1Fj
The good news keeps coming! Probably 75% posturing. I hate Twitter; makes this like 40x more unbearable. At least in 2004 you could read the news after a press conference / negotiation then unplug for a few days / couple of weeks in the lulls. These days the flood of tweets and articles even when nothing is happening just keeps me plugged in the entire time and more frustrated.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:06 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Actually, it kinda does fix it. Biggest problem is costs are too high. Solution is lower costs.
The biggest problem is poor markets and poor capitalization of assets.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:06 PM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post

no, they cant but you are guaranteeing that all the best players end up on the top 10 richest teams and teams like Columbus and Phoenix are relegated to being farm teams for The Habs, Leafs, Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, Red Wings etc...

Old
11-15-2012, 01:08 PM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
When i say history i mean before the last CBA was even signed.
I'm talking about the level of mistrust that remains between player and commissioner/owner. It's the whole reason the NHLPA went out and got their own bully.
Great!! congratulations to the players for getting their own bully. Now they get 100% of nothing. I hope they are real pleased with their choice....

Old
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Who would the next potential leaders of the NHL and NHLPA be?

I'm guessing Daly and S.Fehr.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:15 PM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:

yea Daly would be my guess.....Also I think the Fehr brothers are both done with the players after this.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Great!! congratulations to the players for getting their own bully. Now they get 100% of nothing. I hope they are real pleased with their choice....
I think they are pleased because Fehr told them they should be.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:18 PM
ottawah

Quote:

The only name I want to hear on the players side is Kelly .......

Old
11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
You don't get the point of the contract restrictions.

They're there not to protect the owners from the players but to protect owners from other owners.

Only a few teams can afford to hand out these huge cap circumvention deals, which hurts the parity of the league and forced other GMs to hand out bigger deals to just stay competitive.
So this group of people can't wait to circumvent their own rules (rules that were made to make their businesses stronger) and the other group is supposed to watch them run their businesses into the ground?

Closed Thread