HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I don't think Radulov is that good

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2012, 01:14 AM
  #126
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,887
vCash: 500
I didn't even notice that Radulov became "good" at some point, so he can't be that overhyped.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:18 AM
  #127
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 9,074
vCash: 500
I admit I didnt really know anything about him before he came back but in the few games he played i can see that hes very talented, but the off ice **** ruines it for any team that woukd want him

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:24 AM
  #128
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
You have no control over who gets overpaid to play on NYC teams, though.
I don't recall saying I did.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:50 AM
  #129
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Double standard is a double standard. Last I checked nobody forced Rick Nash to sign a huge extension in Columbus in 2009 when they were playing decent. But he did because all he cared about was money. But he's allowed to be lazy and not play up to his capabilities because his team stinks "come on it must be hard to be stuck on such a lousy team". It is interesting how when Canadians pull stuff like this it's acceptable.. like when Dany Heatley wanted out of Atlanta. "It's understandable, the guy just needs a fresh start" is what everyone in Ottawa says. Years later he pulls the same schtick and he's a super-villain despite not having killed anyone this time.
How is it a double standard? Do you know what double standard means?

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:54 AM
  #130
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,392
vCash: 500
He's not exactly Patrik Elias, I'll say that much.

Of course, people lumping him in with Aleksey Morozov are also wrong. Radulov's a first line player in the NHL. He's not a great one (if he hadn't jumped the pond, he wouldn't exactly have been displacing Marty St Louis, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Sharp, Marleau, Skinner, Gaborik from a few years ago...maybe not even James Neal now or Semin a few years back, though both of those are arguable), but Radulov is legitimately good enough to fill the #1 wing role, even with the warts in his game.

Aleksey Morozov is a washout who was never good enough to stick. Radulov's definitely not that.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:12 AM
  #131
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
I don't get why people seem to get all ******** about him leaving the NHL and turn it into a slight against his character. The KHL is not a beer league, and the gap between it an the NHL is understated. He signed a 4 year deal worth 9M per, he'd get maybe 6M in the NHL. We can talk about whether or not it's OK to be "in it for the money", but to me the bottom line is that in the blink of any eye your career can end, and leaving 12M on the table like that is a risky move. I'd understand the argument if he went to the KHL and got 6.5 per, but we're talking a 12 million dollar difference over 4 years (even more with the lockout). That's without getting into the quality of life side of it. He's playing at home, in a league he's familiar with, in a culture he knows, and a language he knows.

Say you're working for a NA company, the second best company in their industry, and you're one of their top guys. A Russian rival to your firm, the undisputed best in the world in the same industry, offers you 6M in salary to come work for them in Russia. Your current company offers you 9 million in salary to stay at home. That's how Radulov would see this. Stay at home and make 9M, or go halfway across the world for 6M. In his shoes (like the NA vs Russian company example), I'd do the same.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:19 AM
  #132
VC
Registered User
 
VC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
This is the thing right here.

The fact is that while being hurt and not having played on the small ice in years, he was Nashville's best player by far. After which Nashville pulled one of the stupidest moves in the history of hockey by benching their best two players after they were 15 min late for curfew while being down in a playoff series. With stupidity like that running the team, no wonder he wanted out of there.

Is Radulov the best player in the world? No. Is he one of the top forwards playing hockey right now, absolutely. Guys like Semin and Datsyuk and Kovalev are more skilled then Radulov but what people don't really know about him is his amazing hockey vision, hockey IQ and an unquenchable fire to score, win and be the hero.

It's funny how people here accuse him of being a coward or not playing hard when he is known to be a no fear, play your ass off kind of player in the KHL.

All you guys who discount the accomplishments of guys like Radulov and Morozov in the KHL are just ignorant. There is great hockey out side of the NHL that requires a different skill set and it's nobody's fault but your own that you guys are ignorant of it. For example Kiril Koltsov is one of the best offensive defensemen in the world and what percentage of HFboards even knows who he is?
Canuck fans bring him up every so often and dream of what could of been..... (I still create him in EA games)

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:24 AM
  #133
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Bundles of offensive skill, bad skating, defensive liability, bad attitude. Overrated by Russian homers and underrated by North American nationalistic mini Don Cherry's.
Where is this label coming from ? Radulov skates very awkwardly perhaps but it is certainly not one of his weaknesses. In the NHL standard he is a good skater at minimum. He has decent agility, quick feet and speed, lacks maybe a bit of balance though.

No intention of overhype, just for his skating.







Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
  #134
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
So you seriously believe everybody who isn't an idiot would rather live in the US than their own home country? Really?! Even by "objective" standards, I don't see a particular reason why someone who clearly enjoys living in the country he was born in would prefer to live in a small town (compared to Moscow) as an immigrant, getting paid multiple times less than what he's currently getting. As an immigrant to Canada myself, I'm clearly biased towards that move overseas, but even with such bias I somehow manage to see other people's viewpoints might differ from mine.
No. I think everyone who's not an idiot would rather take their career to the highest level in the U.S., than stay in their own country given the opportunity. It's silly to say that it's merely a preference of country, and discount any possible career or attitude related motivations.

If you want to say he's in it for the money, fine, say he's in it for the money. It's also possible that he'd rather be a big fish in a smaller pond, than just another fish in the ocean. Both of these make more sense to me than "he likes Russia better." Neither of them are exactly noble, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
And the level of hockey is not "much higher" in the NHL. It's higher, but I guess you haven't seen a KHL game before if you think the difference is that pronounced.
Quite right, the level of hockey is higher in the NHL, the prestige of the stanley cup is much greater than the Gagarin cup, and it all comes with an added bonus: you're very much less likely to die travelling to, or playing in an NHL game than a KHL game.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
  #135
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
No. I think everyone who's not an idiot would rather take their career to the highest level in the U.S., than stay in their own country given the opportunity. It's silly to say that it's merely a preference of country, and discount any possible career or attitude related motivations.

If you want to say he's in it for the money, fine, say he's in it for the money. It's also possible that he'd rather be a big fish in a smaller pond, than just another fish in the ocean. Both of these make more sense to me than "he likes Russia better." Neither of them are exactly noble, however.



Quite right, the level of hockey is higher in the NHL, the prestige of the stanley cup is much greater than the Gagarin cup, and it all comes with an added bonus: you're very much less likely to die travelling to, or playing in an NHL game than a KHL game.
Why is that, exactly? Not everyone on the planet prefers to live abroad in a VERY different culture far away from home while making less money in a dull city (compared to Moscow, that is).
Noble blah blah etc, why is it deemed more noble to play for less abroad than making a lot of money in his native country close to his entire family and childhood friends?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:09 PM
  #136
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Why is that, exactly? Not everyone on the planet prefers to live abroad in a VERY different culture far away from home while making less money in a dull city (compared to Moscow, that is).

Noble blah blah etc, why is it deemed more noble to play for less abroad than making a lot of money in his native country close to his entire family and childhood friends?
Yeah, I'm sure he gives a single **** about his childhood friends. He flies them in to Moscow for every game from Nizhny Tagil. Those reasons make more sense for me because even everyone defending him says "he makes more money in Russia."

Why don't we all just say it: he's doing it for one reason, the money. Now why is that all of a sudden such a noble pursuit?

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
  #137
Crabovski*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
If someones considered the 3rd or 4th best player on a contending team they're a pretty good player regardless of their non existent D...

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:14 PM
  #138
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yeah, I'm sure he gives a single **** about his childhood friends. He flies them in to Moscow for every game from Nizhny Tagil. Those reasons make more sense for me because even everyone defending him says "he makes more money in Russia."

Why don't we all just say it: he's doing it for one reason, the money. Now why is that all of a sudden such a noble pursuit?
Or maybe he's doing it because he just don't like it in America.
The silly notion that everyone who doesn't WANT to play in the NHL is a greedy second rate player is incredibly tiresome.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:18 PM
  #139
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post



Quite right, the level of hockey is higher in the NHL, the prestige of the stanley cup is much greater than the Gagarin cup, and it all comes with an added bonus: you're very much less likely to die travelling to, or playing in an NHL game than a KHL game.
I heard Russia planned to send a monkey to Mars... A cushy job



Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
  #140
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Or maybe he's doing it because he just don't like it in America.
The silly notion that everyone who doesn't WANT to play in the NHL is a greedy second rate player is incredibly tiresome.
Then why would you bring up the fact that he's making more money to support your argument?

His choice was mercenary at best.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:18 PM
  #141
gretskidoo
Registered User
 
gretskidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
These threads are good for one thing at least.. the ignorant xenophobes come out in droves.

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
  #142
CoolForumNamePending
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Then why would you bring up the fact that he's making more money to support your argument?

His choice was mercenary at best.
Maybe because while it probably wasn't Radulov's only consideration I am pretty sure like every other professional athlete on earth money did factor into his decision of where he was going to play.

That might make Radulov a mercenary but it certainly doesn't make him much different than most other hockey players. Based on this past summer he certainly wasn't the only player on Nashville's playoff roster who is/was a 'mercenary'.


Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 11-15-2012 at 01:40 PM.
CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
  #143
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
I think hes highly underrated because he plays in the KHL and not the NHL. Yet he seems a lil off, a lil crazy at times and no restrictions. Idk if hes a top 10 player... its hard to judge those things but I do believe hes one of the best in the world.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
  #144
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
Maybe because while it probably wasn't Radulov's only consideration I am pretty sure like every other professional athlete on earth money did factor into his decision of where he was going to play.
The difference being that while Lebron gets lambasted for being the sell-out he is, Radulov isn't because, apparently, he wanted to play in front of childhood friends, or some ****.

Bottom line, the most important factor wasn't the hockey. Why should he therefore be respected from a hockey standpoint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
That might make Radulov a mercenary but it certainly doesn't make him much different than most other hockey players. Based on this past summer he certainly wasn't the only player on Nashville's playoff roster who is/was a 'mercenary'.
Perhaps I should point this out to people: why tu quoque, or "you/them too" is a bad argument is because it's equally possible for two or more people from different demographics to be pieces of ****. You have established that Radulov, while a mercenary(exactly what I said he was), is not exactly unique in this regard. Others have said that it's also not because he's Russian.

Congratulations: not one thing I said depended on Radulov being unique, or Russian.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
  #145
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
The difference being that while Lebron gets lambasted for being the sell-out he is, Radulov isn't because, apparently, he wanted to play in front of childhood friends, or some ****.

Bottom line, the most important factor wasn't the hockey. Why should he therefore be respected from a hockey standpoint?
Because even if the most important factor wasn't hockey (which I'm not saying it wasn't), he plays good hockey. That's why he should be respected from a hockey standpoint. Because hockey is not religion, where morals are made up and people sheepishly parrot to others this is how things should be.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
  #146
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Because even if the most important factor wasn't hockey (which I'm not saying it wasn't), he plays good hockey.
IT WAS FOR THE MONEY. He's a good player, but he's still a sell-out, a mercenary, and in my opinion, a man without principle. Kovalev was a great player. He also happened to be lazy. Is it not possible to consider his lazyness because he was a great player?

When you have kids are you going to tell them "whenever you do something in this life, do it for the money."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Because hockey is not religion, where morals are made up and people sheepishly parrot to others this is how things should be.
The only people parroting anything in this thread in the last day or so has been you and the rest of the Radulov backers.

I wonder, how many of you who are tripping over yourselves to say that Radulov is just the same as any other sell-out, will support those other sell outs with such fervor?

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:34 PM
  #147
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
IT WAS FOR THE MONEY. He's a good player, but he's still a sell-out, a mercenary, and in my opinion, a man without principle. Kovalev was a great player. He also happened to be lazy. Is it not possible to consider his lazyness because he was a great player?

When you have kids are you going to tell them "whenever you do something in this life, do it for the money."



The only people parroting anything in this thread in the last day or so has been you and the rest of the Radulov backers.

I wonder, how many of you who are tripping over yourselves to say that Radulov is just the same as any other sell-out, will support those other sell outs with such fervor?

Assumptions and false accusations aside, what are you talking about since 2 days here ?

Tu quoque ? Tu quoque my lol. You've got zero argument to prove what kind of thing really motivated him to go back playing hockey in his own country.

A background noise and nothing more.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
  #148
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Where is this label coming from ? Radulov skates very awkwardly perhaps but it is certainly not one of his weaknesses. In the NHL standard he is a good skater at minimum. He has decent agility, quick feet and speed, lacks maybe a bit of balance though.

No intention of overhype, just for his skating.
The guy's no speed demon and his stride isn't pretty, but he gets where he needs to be to produce and he's sort of tough to track one on one. Skating's probably not a strength for him, but it's no liability either.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
  #149
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
The guy's no speed demon and his stride isn't pretty, but he gets where he needs to be to produce and he's sort of tough to track one on one. Skating's probably not a strength for him, but it's no liability either.
Yep, he's not the fastest out there and skates bizarrely. I didn't agree with people saying he's a bad skater. You're spot on with your last sentence, I guess.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
  #150
CoolForumNamePending
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
The difference being that while Lebron gets lambasted for being the sell-out he is, Radulov isn't because, apparently, he wanted to play in front of childhood friends, or some ****..
Radulov hasn't been critized? The same people defending Radulov in this thread were criticizing Lebron in/on another thread/message board? I am not sure what your point is here. Is your point anyone who has ever left one team to take what they thought was a better offer from another team is a sellout? If so that's cool. At least your consistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Bottom line, the most important factor wasn't the hockey. Why should he therefore be respected from a hockey standpoint?
Because he is pretty good at it and has accomplished more in it than the vast majority of people who have ever played the game. Besides that when it comes to hockey maybe he has decided he values helping to build/legitimize a league in Russia or being available to play in the WC every spring over the NHL and Stanley Cup. Maybe he rather be the undisputed 'go to guy' on a team that will be expected to spend/contend for championships every year and not 'just' a 1st liner even if it means playing in a league that isn't considered the best. I am sure to many here those ideas seem crazy (perhaps even to me) but who are we to tell someone what they should value or want to accomplish in their life and/or career.

With that being said Radulov seems a bit well... I dunno... Who knows what he's really thinking or wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Perhaps I should point this out to people: why tu quoque, or "you/them too" is a bad argument is because it's equally possible for two or more people from different demographics to be pieces of ****. You have established that Radulov, while a mercenary(exactly what I said he was), is not exactly unique in this regard. Others have said that it's also not because he's Russian.
So we agree then that 'mercenary' players is the rule and not the exception? If this is the case we can also probably agree that it is not worth getting bent out of shape everytime a player bolts a team (or league) to take what they think is a better offer/situation. I get Nashville fans being upset, but fans of other teams being mad about it is weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Congratulations: not one thing I said depended on Radulov being unique, or Russian.
I never said you did but I will happily take your kudos anyway.


Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 11-15-2012 at 03:52 PM.
CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.