HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be rule changes again this time around?

Old
11-14-2012, 05:17 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
make goalie pads smaller
make the shoulder pads players wear smaller
make the goal posts permanent again
any length stick and any length curve to the blade
defensive team on a penalty kill has to get out of their zone before they can shoot the puck the length of the ice(can still be short of center ice but have to be out of their defensive zone)
4 x 4 overtime to be 10 mins.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Oil Gauge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
make goalie pads smaller
make the shoulder pads players wear smaller
make the goal posts permanent again
any length stick and any length curve to the blade
defensive team on a penalty kill has to get out of their zone before they can shoot the puck the length of the ice(can still be short of center ice but have to be out of their defensive zone)
4 x 4 overtime to be 10 mins.
At what point is sacrificing protection an issue though? Where are you cutting from the pads?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
At what point is sacrificing protection an issue though? Where are you cutting from the pads?
I'm a way bigger fan of now making chest protection smaller.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:09 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
But have there been talks of changing rules? It seems like this time its only about the money...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Allow a team to have two goalies in goal at the same time without increasing the goal size

That should be very entertaining, we'd move away from having big goalies into having two fast goalies.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
But have there been talks of changing rules? It seems like this time its only about the money...
It wasn't exactly about the rules in 2004-05. The league changed the rules coming out of the lockout last time in an attempt to breathe new life into the game and maintain its place in the national conversation.

If this stupidity lasts the whole year, they'll have to do the same thing to keep itself relevant. The only reason nothing is being discussed now is because everybody's still bickering over how to split three billion dollars. Once that gets sorted out, you'll start hearing whispers about rule changes.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:27 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I would at least like to see goalies be able to roam free and play the puck wherever they want.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:28 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Why raise the glass? People on here act like it happens multiple times a game..
When you watch Hjalmarsson 82 times a year, it pretty much does.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:30 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I would at least like to see goalies be able to roam free and play the puck wherever they want.
yeah, this and increasing the size of the ice

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:52 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

They should add a special bonus slot where if you score and the puck goes in the slot, it's held for future release into the game. Kinda like getting an extra ball in a pin-ball machine.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
MonsterSurge

No hitting
No fighting
No blocking shots
No angry stares
No mean words
Uniform must feature a skirt

How's that?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Get rid of the trapezoid, the over the ........ kidding.

It appears they're satisfied with their product. "The game has never been in better shape." It's unfortunate for those of us who enjoy witnessing world class skill over illegal obstruction.

I haven't heard any talk of areas of the game being broken and needing fixing.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:22 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Goalies can't be fair game because they aren't protected from that kind of contact.

I don't think there'll be significant rules changes. Maybe the adjusted icing rule, but unlike last time, there's very little discussion about the state of the game during the lockout.
Sure they are: It's called "The crease".

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Sure they are: It's called "The crease".
I didn't realize goalies instantly had extra padding when they go into the crease.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I didn't realize goalies instantly had extra padding when they go into the crease.
What was said:

Quote:
they aren't protected from that kind of contact
They most certainly are: If you stay in your crease it's a penalty and illegal in terms of the game. I don't know about you, but I consider having an area where you are untouchable as "protection".

Old
11-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Thesensation19

I want to see 10 minute intermission, not 15
I want to see better coverage on goals that just occured, spend a few more seconds doing this

I want to see smaller elbow and shoulder pads.
Ryan Miller says that the NHL does not do enough to work along side goalie manufactures in developing next generation equipment... they could but they dont and it would work well. Goalies should be wearing smaller pads but just as if not more protective. In todays world, bigger doesnt mean safer.

And if that doenst work then leave the size limits they have now but think about increasing the area of the net by a lil bit. Not too much of a differ but just slightly bigger

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
They most certainly are: If you stay in your crease it's a penalty and illegal in terms of the game. I don't know about you, but I consider having an area where you are untouchable as "protection".
It's pretty obvious that he meant that goaltenders' equipment isn't designed to provide protection for hits. There is zero padding on the back of the head, and next to none on the backs of the legs.
If goalies were fair game to be hit, then they would be frequently injured due to those hits.

Also, a goaltender being hit is at a significant disadvantage after being hit than a regular skater, because of the extra 40 pounds of equpiment he's wearing. He can't just bounce back up the same way a forward does.

It's not as simple as "If goalies don't wanna get hit, then they should stay in the crease."

Old
11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
The vast majority of fans enjoy the shootout.
In the latest poll I could find about the shootout, 55% said they'd rather go back to W-L-T than keep the shootout.

Maybe casual fans like the shootout, but I think people with a real appreciation of the game don't. For instance, the players...

Quote:
The players seem to like it when they win a shootout. I know the fans like it too.
An SI player poll form 2009 said that of the 300+ players polled, 97% were against the shootout (link in the thread no longer works, unfortunately). And here's an ESPN poll where 23 out of 30 players were against it. The general tone of a lot of their opinions was that a team sport shouldn't be decided on an individual skills competition, and I agree with that. It cheapens the game.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
So they'll slide and drag a skate blade. I can imagine the threads re this: "his skate started on the ice, then it got bumped off the ice by the other guys stick. That should NOT be a penalty!!"

This is a solution looking for a problem.
I'm sure you or I could figure out a blatant lie down on the ice, and we're not even profesional referees. It wouldn't be that hard of a judgement call for a ref. If it's iffy don't call it. If they player starts lying on the ice, call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
It depends on how its done Most of the time its not a hockey play or skilled at all. An actual shot block involves timing and smarts but all to often a player will just lay down on the ice to block a lane. When he uses his stick its 10' of ice being taken away by a player laying down like a dog. Its not some great defensive play.
Exactly..

Last edited by Urban Explorer*: 11-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:11 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
It's pretty obvious that he meant that goaltenders' equipment isn't designed to provide protection for hits. There is zero padding on the back of the head, and next to none on the backs of the legs.
If goalies were fair game to be hit, then they would be frequently injured due to those hits.

Also, a goaltender being hit is at a significant disadvantage after being hit than a regular skater, because of the extra 40 pounds of equpiment he's wearing. He can't just bounce back up the same way a forward does.

It's not as simple as "If goalies don't wanna get hit, then they should stay in the crease."
Then why wasn't Tim Thomas given a penalty for putting a body check on a player? These rules are a one-way street?

Old
11-16-2012, 01:15 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
In the latest poll I could find about the shootout, 55% said they'd rather go back to W-L-T than keep the shootout.

Maybe casual fans like the shootout, but I think people with a real appreciation of the game don't. For instance, the players...

An SI player poll form 2009 said that of the 300+ players polled, 97% were against the shootout (link in the thread no longer works, unfortunately). And here's an ESPN poll where 23 out of 30 players were against it. The general tone of a lot of their opinions was that a team sport shouldn't be decided on an individual skills competition, and I agree with that. It cheapens the game.
North America's "most popular sport" still decides games with a skills competition.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
I don't think they'll change anything this time around, but if I could, this is what I would change:

-no more trapezoid
-instigator rule is just a 2 minute minor (no misconduct)
-The Brian Boyle Rule (3rd man in to a one-sided altercation is just a misconduct)
-Goaltenders who willingly move outside of the crease to handle the puck are fair game
You can always tell the people who have never played this sport. They are the ones who come up with these "brilliant" ideas when in fact goalies gear do not allow you to move fast to avoid checks

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'm a way bigger fan of now making chest protection smaller.
I'd be all for it but its not that easy to just make it smaller without taking out needed protection.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Yeah for sure though some of the suggestions in there are pretty bad and lol at Ken Hitchcock basically saying "nah the game is fine as is defensive hockey is good." He would say that.

But the thick blue line is extremely important imo, I've said this before but put two dashed lines a meter apart since a meter thick blue line would look ridiculous.

1. When you enter the zone, looking at the top part, a player cannot be ahead of the straight red line although the puck carrier can be at the dashed blue-line. This reduces the amount of "close offsides" because the guy can be a couple feet ahead of the puck carrier without calling offside. This will reduce the amount of offsides called as a team enters the zone.

2. When the puck is in the zone and the attacking team has possession, the dashed blue line is used as the offside line and not the red one. This makes the offensive zone bigger and gives a PP more room with reduced chances of going offside with the puck leaving the zone and then having to regroup.

Dammit I hate offsides
That is way, WAY too complicated.

And in no way does it lower "close calls". No matter where you put the line, the line creates the close calls.

Cursed Lemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
bluenote

Bigger nets. Players have nothing to shoot at anymore. Most of the goals now are deflections, garbage rebounds, screens, etc. I want to see a winger streak down the wing and blast a slapshot by the goalie, like the old days. Now, the winger has nothing to shoot at.

It's very simple to me. If the NHL won't shrink the goalie equipment, then make the nets bigger. Force the goalies to make acrobatic saves, rather than just simply blocking the puck.

bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote