HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 4th: and here we wait in trade-completion limbo

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Meh, I wouldn't worry about the trade not going through. There is no reason not to.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Stanton's reaction to Harper.

Quote:
Giancarlo Stanton ‏@Giancarlo818
@Bharper3407 Dang bro, If only my last name backwards wasn't NotNats!

Old
11-15-2012, 12:38 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Meh, I wouldn't worry about the trade not going through. There is no reason not to.
That's the point. There should be no reason. The longer the review, the less likely it's going to be allowed.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
I'm sure they did. Sounds like they are just waiting to see if Toronto gets to be allowed to compete. Allow every other fire sale out there but this one there is a problem???
What do you mean you're sure they did? I doubt any of them have a torn UCL or MCL or ACL or any type of ligament.

Quote:
Jon Heyman
@JonHeymanCBS
#bluejays honcho paul beeston says "still waiting" on physicals/paperwork. says can't talk but admits "it's exciting."
They didn't even hear about the physicals yet.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Stats01

I know all trades get "reviewed", but it's hilarious that when Boston traded all that salary to the LA Dodgers we didn't hear a word from the commissioner, but when we make a deal like this...the commissioner's office has to look at it. B.S I know Loria has done this before, but let's cut the crap here. Loria and Selig are tight. They both orchestrated the move out of Montreal. This dog and pony show of "reviewing" the trade is ridiculous. It'll be accepted, I just find the timing curious that all of a sudden Bud "feels" for the fans. Where were you the 2 other teams Loria has done this haha. What a joke!

Old
11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
mrburke

"Speaking at the conclusion of the owners' meetings, Selig said Thursday the trade hasn't officially been presented to him. But he said the matter is under review and he talked to two independent baseball people who feel the Marlins did well in the proposed swap."

Highly doubt it would be blocked after a comment like that

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409546

Old
11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Precisely. A good accountant can go a long way.

Aside from the increased tax rate as a whole, the main worry for any American citizen playing in Canada would be the double taxation, as they will be taxed federally by both the Canadian and American government. But then again, there are foreign tax credits that can be used to knock down income on both sides of the border. So...though it may seem to the naked eye that these increased taxes paid to the Canadian and Ontario government will be a hassle, they could actually aid in reducing the tax owed to the IRS as itemized deductions. With the right accountant, there actually could be a net decreased in the total amount of tax owed.
Don't you pay taxes wherever you live over 50% of the time?

Old
11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Don't you pay taxes wherever you live over 50% of the time?
Not necessarily. For these guys at their pay grade, this year:

Canadian Federal rate: 29% (income over 132k)
Ontario provincial rate: 5.05% on first 39k, 9.15% on next 39k, 11.16% on amount over 78k.

American Federal rate: 35% (Income over 388k)

So it's a good amount, however, there are a lot of deductions that can help ease the pain of double taxation.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Anthrax442

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrburke View Post
"Speaking at the conclusion of the owners' meetings, Selig said Thursday the trade hasn't officially been presented to him. But he said the matter is under review and he talked to two independent baseball people who feel the Marlins did well in the proposed swap."

Highly doubt it would be blocked after a comment like that

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409546
They didn't get fleeced at all. 4 young talented guys is nothing to sneeze at.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
TieClark

[QUOTE=Eyedea;55787393]
All 12 guys need them... who knows what/where all of them were when the trade happened. It takes time.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Jim Duquette (former Mets/Orioles GM) on Tim & Sid not worried about deal passing.

He's also very excited for Reyes who he knows well from his Mets days, "one of (his) favourite players of all time", says "the kid just wants to play, Toronto fans will love him". Says Johnson and Buehrle will do fine in AL East.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

I'm sure Selig is simply doing his do-diligence. There's a considerable amount of money changing hands, not to mention how one-sided the money exchange is despite what players are involved. With all the public fan backlash my guess is that he's taking his time but in the end, there's no reason to veto this thing.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
They didn't get fleeced at all. 4 young talented guys is nothing to sneeze at.
I don't think Selig is worried if a team did or did not get fleeced (and it shouldn't be his job to think that either).

I think he's most worried about the Miami market. If they sign jobbers and/or rush prospects, the viability to that market comes into question.

I still don't think it will be rejected, but it's something to consider I think.

11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

@D_e_m_e_t_r_i: @Elboni_1 dont worry we will yell EMILLIIIOOOOO in toronto too #welcome to Canada #champion

Emilio bonifacio ‏@Elboni_1
On my way! para D.R... gracias a dios salio todo bien con mi examen fisico #lovisteintoronto

Sounds like he cleared atleast.

Last edited by Everlong: 11-15-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I don't think Selig is worried if a team did or did not get fleeced (and it shouldn't be his job to think that either).

I think he's most worried about the Miami market. If they sign jobbers and/or rush prospects, the viability to that market comes into question.

I still don't think it will be rejected, but it's something to consider I think.
This trade is still below the level of the Dodgers-BoSox swap that occured mid season.

There was a FAR greater amount of money being exchanged. The only difference is that the BoSox had full intentions to use that money somewhere else and they are a big market that will always survive. Miami and Loria may not have intentions to use the money they shipped out on other players...and baseball is now in jeopardy there.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

MLB is trying to get a new stadium in Tampa, so the whole optics around the Miami situation are very sensitive.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Anthrax442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
MLB is trying to get a new stadium in Tampa, so the whole optics around the Miami situation are very sensitive.
I think the optics are already bad, and even if this deal would be shelved, most these players will be dealt in separate deals.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I'm sure Selig is simply doing his do-diligence. There's a considerable amount of money changing hands, not to mention how one-sided the money exchange is despite what players are involved. With all the public fan backlash my guess is that he's taking his time but in the end, there's no reason to veto this thing.
Bro, the red sox- dodgers deal got the rubber stamp in like 2 minutes. I agree it won't get veto'd but let's not act like big money trades haven't happened before. It's taking a very long time for this thing to go through, and yes one of the reasons is because it involves the Jays. Bud Selig trying to act like he actually gives a rat's ass about the Marlins fan base after the embarrassment of previous tear downs is hilarious. "Due diligence" rightttt...

Old
11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

So nobody said it yet, but...

Quote:
The Marlins plan to start Adeiny Hechavarria at shortstop with Yunel Escobar playing third base, Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports.
Can't see Escobar at third base, but whatever Miami.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post

Escobar has the arm for third base, but his bat is atrocious at that position.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I don't see Escobar liking that.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Bro, the red sox- dodgers deal got the rubber stamp in like 2 minutes. I agree it won't get veto'd but let's not act like big money trades haven't happened before. It's taking a very long time for this thing to go through, and yes one of the reasons is because it involves the Jays. Bud Selig trying to act like he actually gives a rat's ass about the Marlins fan base after the embarrassment of previous tear downs is hilarious. "Due diligence" rightttt...
The circumstances between Boston and Miami are worlds apart. One of the reasons is because it involves the Jays? Okie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post

In that same article they said Miami could try and trade Escobar which wouldn't surprise me. Probably in an effort to rebuild their rotation.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
The longer this plays out the sicker i get. fu selig!

Old
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
It strikes me as odd because he has no power, and will likely not be a fan of switching positions. MLBTR also says the Marlins have not ruled out flipping Escobar so there's that option.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
ryno23

Quote:
I understand what your saying but teams are now moving towards putting good fielding guys at all positions and the "supposed bat doesn't play well" theory is slowing fading.

You don't take the bat out to the field so I don't care what position a guys plays as long as he plays it well.

So the Marlins 3b maybe not be a power guy but maybe they find a 2b with power or their CF has more power than a traditional CF.

The Angels don't have power guys at any infield position except 1b and they still hit well. The Braves this year will feature Prado at 3b but their slugger plays 2b (uggla)

As long as you have x amount of power their positions are irrelevant.

Closed Thread