Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next favorite sport???

Old
11-15-2012, 12:58 PM
OLD51JOHN

vCash: 500
Next favorite sport???

No hockey,So what to watch.. When I was younger there was always something else to keep me going... Alas I am confined to armchair recration... I look foward to football on the weekends.. I read a lot more than I have in the past few years... WHAT do some of the board do to entertain them selfs ???

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:02 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Easily football. Followed by baseball, with basketball in a distant 4th.

In terms of things to entertain/keep myself busy, I have 4 year old twins and an 8 month old. There's always something to do...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

I can't watch any other sport. They all bore me to tears. I'm reading more, hiking more, getting back into Tai Chi, playing street hockey, catching up on other TV, going to more Seattle Thunderbirds games... etc.

The lockout has actually been pretty good for me.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Neely08

Boxing. Well, not so much in recent years.

UFC when Anderson Silva or someone w/ genuine talent is fighting. Which isn't a whole lot.

Foosball, but I don't follow it w/ near the passion I have for hockey. Nor baseball, don't pay much attention until the playoffs, but I was a full blown junky as a kid.

I played every major sport at one time or another. I had the athletic ability, and saw the game well, but was still a total disaster at the game of basketball. And, therefore could never watch the sport w/ any kind of respect, either. I'd foul out in minutes due to running people over. I fully blame a hockey mentality being burned into me at a young age. If you have the ball, are in motion, and some big donut has the nuts to stand in front of you, you should be prepared for some contact. Com'on. I just couldn't deal. Same for track, that lasted a whopping whole week longer than basketbore.

Last edited by Neely08: 11-15-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Clearly football for me.

Basketball is boring as heck. I'll watch the Celtics if they're in the playoffs and it's on at a bar or something, but I won't put it on if I'm home alone.

Used to like watching the Sox, but don't really get off on it anymore. I like the strategies, but it's just too damn slooooowwww.

Been enjoying the Jr. series against the Russians, and have watched most of the SC replays on NESN.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Ratty

Hurling.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I can't watch any other sport. They all bore me to tears. I'm reading more, hiking more, getting back into Tai Chi, playing street hockey, catching up on other TV, going to more Seattle Thunderbirds games... etc.

The lockout has actually been pretty good for me.
Been reading a lot too; it's nice to catch up with books I had piling up. On a WWII kick right now - just finished John Tolland's book on the Battle of the Bulge and now reading Max Hastings' "Inferno," which is fantastic.

Paying more attention to the Springfield Falcons, who look terrific. Got next Saturday off so I can go see them - can't wait!

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

NFL all the way, PGA Tour, and then CFL (going to the B.C. Lions vs Calgary Stampeders game this weekend for the West Final), followed by playoff baseball, hate basketball ever since Clyde "the glyde" Drexler, Magic vs Bird, Karl Malone and John Stockton stopped playing.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post

UFC when Anderson Silva or someone w/ genuine talent is fighting.

Foosball, but I don't follow it w/ near the passion I have for hockey. Nor baseball, don't pay much attention until the playoffs.
I used to love boxing, but it's gotten so boring and predictable now. MMA is okay, as long as the guys don't turn it into a grind fest on the ground. That's really boring to me as well. If there's at least a fair amount of stand up, I'm fine watching, but if

Old
11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I used to love boxing, but it's gotten so boring and predictable now. MMA is okay, as long as the guys don't turn it into a grind fest on the ground. That's really boring to me as well. If there's at least a fair amount of stand up, I'm fine watching, but if
Same. There's a science to the ground game, but it's as you say. Not as much fun to watch as two guys who can throw.

Boxing has been in the toilet for a while. It's lacking that amazing talent like a Roy Jones, or what the UFC has in someone like Silva. Guys that do stuff that cannot be taught. Pacman and May(never fight Pacquiao)weather could be interesting, if it ever happens. Another problem w/ the sport.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Same. There's a science to the ground game, but it's as you say. Not as much fun to watch as two guys who can throw.

Boxing has been in the toilet for a while. It's lacking that amazing talent like a Roy Jones, or what the UFC has in someone like Silva. Guys that do stuff that cannot be taught. Pacman and May(never fight Pacquiao)weather could be interesting, if it ever happens. Another problem w/ the sport.

I can appreciate the skill and science behind a ground game, but I can't watch it for any length of time.

The problem with boxing is that there are too few ppv worth fights, and even less stars worth shelling out that kind of dough to watch. Mayweather and Pacquiao would be great to see, but Floyd is busy fake beefing with 50 Cent to actually fight a person who could beat him.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Been reading a lot too; it's nice to catch up with books I had piling up. On a WWII kick right now - just finished John Tolland's book on the Battle of the Bulge and now reading Max Hastings' "Inferno," which is fantastic.

Paying more attention to the Springfield Falcons, who look terrific. Got next Saturday off so I can go see them - can't wait!
Band of Brothers is a must.

As is With the Old Breed At Peleliu and Okinawa. Some of the story was featured in the series "The Pacific". But the book is far more detailed and far less ambiguous. I think every HS kid should have to read this book. Puts a real perspective on a lot revisionist history that's served up these days.

There's a reason Spielberg turned both of these books into a mini-series. Two of the best regarding WWII.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

Baseball and football are about even and after that....eh.

1. Hockey ( NHL/AHL)
1A. MLB
1A. NFL

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Neely08

Quote:
I can appreciate the skill and science behind a ground game, but I can't watch it for any length of time.

The problem with boxing is that there are too few ppv worth fights, and even less stars worth shelling out that kind of dough to watch. Mayweather and Pacquiao would be great to see, but Floyd is busy fake beefing with 50 Cent to actually fight a person who could beat him.
You're absolutely right. Once upon a time there were fighters who prided themselves on ducking no one.

You can watch Ali vs Frazier I - III on youtube. Ali vs Cleveland Williams is my favorite. It's the epitome of footwork, timing, unbelievable reflexes, and turning someone into a human speedbag.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
DaveFromNB

Basketball the next favorite, but it's not even close to the Bruins/NHL.

As to what keeps me busy, since I'm a business owner it just consumes every available minute I haven't carved off for sanity time. I can't say I miss Sunday afternoon games, one of the sanity time things I do is hiking or some other activity with my 8 year old son Sunday afternoons, and it's great to not have to work that around a Sunday afternoon game.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:47 PM
DarrenBanks56

nothing.
Ive been watching alot of king of queens, seinfeld, and tosh.o
and also been watching the bruins 2011 cup run.

which reminds me, Game 5 vs tampa is tonite. Its the game i catch the puck at. Ill never forget it. We got moved from our normal seats because the cbc crew was filming in front of us. Moved up to 5th row behind the pk box. Puck gets deflected off bergerons? stick at center ice early in the 2nd period, hits the bundled guy off the head in front of me, and drops under his seat. I was the only one who saw the puck, and picked it up. ha.

Last edited by DarrenBanks56: 11-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.
DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Definitively baseball.

Nothing better than a Sunday on the beach with some Sam Summer and Baseball on the radio.

I like Football when it is on but detest the week on analyzing.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

I wish I grew up in the time where boxing was on free national TV. I can't think of a better sport to watch in a bar on a Saturday night.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I like it all. Hockey and baseball 1 and 1A,then football and basketball. I'll watch soccer,golf,or tiddleywinks if that's all there is.

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Football. The real one.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
JMiller

Quote:

UFC when Anderson Silva or someone w/ genuine talent is fighting. Which isn't a whole lot.

Foosball, but I don't follow it w/ near the passion I have for hockey. Nor baseball, don't pay much attention until the playoffs, but I was a full blown junky as a kid.

I played every major sport at one time or another. I had the athletic ability, and saw the game well, but was still a total disaster at the game of basketball. And, therefore could never watch the sport w/ any kind of respect, either. I'd foul out in minutes due to running people over. I fully blame a hockey mentality being burned into me at a young age. If you have the ball, are in motion, and some big donut has the nuts to stand in front of you, you should be prepared for some contact. Com'on. I just couldn't deal. Same for track, that lasted a whopping whole week longer than basketbore.
I love boxing but it's hard to find these days without Showtime or HBO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I wish I grew up in the time where boxing was on free national TV. I can't think of a better sport to watch in a bar on a Saturday night.
So true.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Wide World of Sports had a ton of Ali fights on when I was a kid. There was nothing like it.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Shadowthrone
Danke Angel di Maria

Team Handball. Football, men's version (American). Rugby.

Shadowthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowthrone View Post
Team Handball. Football, men's version (American). Rugby.
Union or league? Full side or 7's?

Old
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Wide World of Sports had a ton of Ali fights on when I was a kid. There was nothing like it.
Boxing hasn't been worth a damn to me since the days of Mohammed Ali on Wide World of Sports.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote