Notices

Is Bartchi #1?

Old
10-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

vCash: 500
Oilers fan coming in peace.

I've been very impressed with this guy from day one. I've seen a few of his games live (I live in Calgary) and he was always one of the best on the ice. I remember thinking to myself last pre-season that Calgary has got "THEIR Eberle". I think within his first few years he'll be getting 30+ goals and 80-ish points. There simply won't be any way to keep him off of the top line.

Luckily, like Eberle, he wasn't rushed to the NHL and allowed to get stronger and more dominant at lower levels before making the jump. This lockout will help his development because he gets to make the jump to the pro game in the AHL. Perfect timing. Because he'll be in the NHL as soon as we're back. The only bad part about that, is that this year's rookie crop is quite deep. And if the lockout lasts the season, there will be even more to contend for the Calder. He'll be up there at the top, IMO. I'm not sure the Calder trophy voting is any more legit than the academy awards though. So he's probably a long shot for that. But as his career plays out, I'd bet he's going to be better than most of his peers. If you re-drafted the 2011 class, he'd be top 5 for sure.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:31 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

See I'm not sure the Calder would be a long shot for him. Aside from the first line nothing is really set in stone for the Calgary lineup. You're right this year will have a lot of great rookies but I think Bartschi will be given a lot of opportunity to shine.

Tarasenko will be competing to fight for a very loaded top 6 and the Blues could very well run 4 offensive lines. As talented as he is I could see Sven being given more time and opportunity. I can also see Huberdeau given the 2nd line center spot and Yakupov will probably also land 2nd line duty.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
See I'm not sure the Calder would be a long shot for him.
I'm not talking about his performance. More about the Calder Voting process. IMO, he would have to blow everyone else out of the water to get it. It comes with the territory. He's not on anyone's radar right now outside of Flames country. I've seen him play, so I know he's the real deal. But he's going against some top picks and guys with some real hype behind them already. Doesn't mean that much though. Berard won it in Iginla's rookie year.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Bear-chi

Granlund is still #1 imo

but for a Flames prospect to be even considered a top 5 prospect in the world is awesome

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:02 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

I luvvv beartchee!! <3

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
See I'm not sure the Calder would be a long shot for him. Aside from the first line nothing is really set in stone for the Calgary lineup. You're right this year will have a lot of great rookies but I think Bartschi will be given a lot of opportunity to shine.

Tarasenko will be competing to fight for a very loaded top 6 and the Blues could very well run 4 offensive lines. As talented as he is I could see Sven being given more time and opportunity. I can also see Huberdeau given the 2nd line center spot and Yakupov will probably also land 2nd line duty.
To be fair, Bartschi has to fight against Tangs and Glencross for ice time on the left wing, while fighting with Hudler and Iginla for ice time on the right. But I have my hunch that he'll develop really well in the NHL because he'll be given an opportunity to get sheltered offensive and powerplay minutes while allowing the experienced top 6 wingers handle the tougher top 6 opponents. Plus he'll have Backlund on his centre, thereby allowing him to think offense.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Both players would benefit if Backlund will play with Bartschi for a long time. Could be Mikael's break out year

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:54 PM
smitty10

I was so impressed watching him play Chicago on the weekend. Wow, what a prospect you guys have there! That being said, I think he makes a strong argument for a top 5-8 selection, but he's not the top prospect out there.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Nothing is a certain when it comes to prospects. Sven is definitely in the conversation when it comes to who's in the top 5. Personally I think Huberdeau will be the best out of the bunch not currently playing in the NHL, but I think Sven is going to be a top player. The Wild and Blues do not play in high scoring systems so I think Sven will have more success early on than Granlund and Tarasenko.

I think Sven is going to be a very similar player to a Hossa or P. Kane (minus the attitude). I'm really glad the Flames have this guy, maybe the most important thing I like about him is that you can tell he is a winner.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:33 AM
pepchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
I don't really understand why his name should be transcripted with ae when Scandinavian players as well as other Germans don't do this with åäö and even ü. I guess it's fine if that's how he wants it but I don't really see the point, to me it just looks strange and no pbp is going to pronounce it "correctly" anyway.
But what about Lanny MacDhomnaill? He really should have pleased the traditionalists and gone with Domhnaillachd on the back of his sweater.

pepchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Body Checker

I've been telling people for awhile that Baertschi is the next Parise.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
Actually, a good nickname for him (other than svensational) would be cheddar. I often hear people say Bear-Cheese anyways haha.
I quite like Bear-Cheese.

Going to get me a jersey with that.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Looking forward to seeing him tonight and tomorrow, I've seen what Granlund and Coyle are capable of at this level, now I'm looking forward to seeing how Sven stacks up to them. IMO he's a top 5-10 prospect for sure, I don't see enough of the other guys to make a good call as to where he ranks, but I couldn't imagine there being 10 better currently drafted guys that aren't NHL regulars yet.

11-10-2012, 12:04 AM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Looking forward to seeing him tonight and tomorrow, I've seen what Granlund and Coyle are capable of at this level, now I'm looking forward to seeing how Sven stacks up to them. IMO he's a top 5-10 prospect for sure, I don't see enough of the other guys to make a good call as to where he ranks, but I couldn't imagine there being 10 better currently drafted guys that aren't NHL regulars yet.
About time the Flames had a true top prospect.

JurassicTunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
About time the Flames had a true top prospect.
He looked very good tonight IMO, I'd say that he's a better skater than Granlund, I didn't see his shot, Granlund has a laser of a wrister. I'd say that they're comparable in terms of being high end talents. That said I'd need to see both a lot more before claiming that one is better than the other. The kid is definitely the real deal though.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:16 AM
SwissLeaf

vCash: 968
Bärtschi is the best!

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissLeaf View Post
Bärtschi is the best!
he is Swentastik !

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:42 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Baertschi/Bartschi is an amazing prospect but to say that he is the best in the world is going too far. I mean, there's Mikael Granlund, Tarsenko, and Huberdeau. Baertschi is definitely in the top 5 though.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Baertschi/Bartschi is an amazing prospect but to say that he is the best in the world is going too far. I mean, there's Mikael Granlund, Tarsenko, and Huberdeau. Baertschi is definitely in the top 5 though.
Id agree with you, although some people are saying Bart is ahead of Granlund now, and I would put him ahead of Huberdeau myself.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
he is Swentastik !
I read this as "he is Swastika" the first 3 times

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Id agree with you, although some people are saying Bart is ahead of Granlund now, and I would put him ahead of Huberdeau myself.
Well there is simply no evidence of Huber being better than Sven in thr last 2 years. He qas injured most of last year and he is just slightly above ppg right now as an overager.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Well there is simply no evidence of Huber being better than Sven in thr last 2 years. He qas injured most of last year and he is just slightly above ppg right now as an overager.
Huberdeau is not an overager, if he was an overager he would be in the AHL with San Antonio.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I think Gaudreau actually has the potential to be just as good as Sven. He has alot more to prove though due to his lack of size. He's putting up better numbers at higher rate than Kreider was last year so far. The question is, can he do it against bigger competition. Sven isn't the biggest guy either, I actually think they are quite comparable prospects.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I personally don't see Huberdeau as being as good as everyone makes him out to be. Don't get me wrong he's a hell of a player but i see him being a key part of a very strong Sea Dogs team. Now that the team isn't as strong as they were for the last 3 seasons his ppg droped from 1.95 to 1.38. He's still an excellent prospect but I see Sven being above him on the list of top prospects

Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie16 View Post
I personally don't see Huberdeau as being as good as everyone makes him out to be. Don't get me wrong he's a hell of a player but i see him being a key part of a very strong Sea Dogs team. Now that the team isn't as strong as they were for the last 3 seasons his ppg droped from 1.95 to 1.38. He's still an excellent prospect but I see Sven being above him on the list of top prospects

I thought he was a bit overhyped since he was a quick riser. Still good but u mean comparatively he was the 3rd pick.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote