HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke's interview on Hockey Central @ Noon (November 14, 2012)

Old
11-15-2012, 12:39 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Brian Burke's interview on Hockey Central @ Noon (November 14, 2012)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/11/...talks_marlies/

Quote:
November 14, 2012, 12:28 pm

The Maple Leafs GM and President Brian Burke joined Hockey Central at noon to discuss his Marlies season so far and their current win streak.
You can listen to Brian Burke's interview on Hockey Central @ Noon at the following link:

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_deman...-Interview.mp3

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Thanks for posting.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:15 AM
4evaBlue

Best news from the interview is Burke's adamant denial of having a deal ready to go for Luongo (or any other Canucks player). FWIW, LeBrun and his sources still think that Luongo will be coming to TO shortly after the new CBA is signed.

I found Burke's wording interesting when he mentioned having no agreement on any Canucks player (forgot his exact wording, but I found it very peculiar) It almost sounded like he does have a deal ready to go, just not with the Canucks.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Best news from the interview is Burke's adamant denial of having a deal ready to go for Luongo (or any other Canucks player). FWIW, LeBrun and his sources still think that Luongo will be coming to TO shortly after the new CBA is signed.

I found Burke's wording interesting when he mentioned having no agreement on any Canucks player (forgot his exact wording, but I found it very peculiar) It almost sounded like he does have a deal ready to go, just not with the Canucks.
would it surprise you that burke had a trade in place for something pending the new cba?

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post

Burke vehemently denying something is almost always a precursor to a deal being finalized.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

No GM is allowed to negotiate deals during the lockout, hence the need to deny anything even if it is sealed in stone.

Also, Burke is rumoured to have a second deal in place that adjusts the roster based on what is being shipped to Vancouver for Luongo.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Can someone post a recap of this for those of us at the office?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Where are these rumours coming from?
I've not heard of them.... at least not this round of them.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:47 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

I can't see any deal(s) in place until they know what the CBA will look like.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

You can't be serious Burkie

David Broll will have a chance to play for the Leafs this year if there is a season. Is this actually a NHL GM saying this, how dumb does he think we are, Oh! wait Building is full, no playoffs in Seven years and an approval rating of over two to one in favour in giving him an extension on the Leafs HF Board.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Burke vehemently denying something is almost always a precursor to a deal being finalized.
I was thinking the very same thing.

Luke Schenn was the closest to untouchable in Burke's own words, as he told him he wasn't being shopped, and then the first one out the door soon afterwards.

11-15-2012, 11:29 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I was thinking the very same thing.

Luke Schenn was the closest to untouchable in Burke's own words, as he told him he wasn't being shopped, and then the first one out the door soon afterwards.
A player can be traded without being "shopped".

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

He denied the deal was done, Which is true cause it can't be completed until the CBA finalized.

But Luongo will be coming here.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
David Broll will have a chance to play for the Leafs this year if there is a season. Is this actually a NHL GM saying this, how dumb does he think we are, Oh! wait Building is full, no playoffs in Seven years and an approval rating of over two to one in favour in giving him an extension on the Leafs HF Board.
He probably earned a look based on his body of work thus far. What is the issue here? He's getting an invite to camp, big whoop.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
He probably earned a look based on his body of work thus far. What is the issue here? He's getting an invite to camp, big whoop.
Exactly.

There's only two we can bring to camp and it's him and Rielly. He's 6'2 225 pounds and skates well, He could fit the 4th line very well. Especially since Komarov flew the coup. He also has a few AHL games under his belt.

He's never going to be scorer, So having him only playing 7 to 10 minutes a night wouldn't be a big deal, And if he can't crack the the team he goes back to SSM.

Some people will ***** and moan about anything.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
He denied the deal was done, Which is true cause it can't be completed until the CBA finalized.

But Luongo will be coming here.
Wait so Loungo is coming over here for sure?

As well what's the recap anyone?

11-15-2012, 12:40 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Exactly.

There's only two we can bring to camp and it's him and Rielly. He's 6'2 225 pounds and skates well, He could fit the 4th line very well. Especially since Komarov flew the coup. He also has a few AHL games under his belt.

He's never going to be scorer, So having him only playing 7 to 10 minutes a night wouldn't be a big deal, And if he can't crack the the team he goes back to SSM.

Some people will ***** and moan about anything.
Saying that Broll "skates well" is being awfully nice. Maybe in a straight line, but his change of direction, and his pivots, are garbage.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
He's one of the emergency re-calls, relax.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Broll, unlike a huge portion of our prospects, is physically ready for the NHL and earned the right to come to camp.

It's not like Burke is slotting him in on the top line. Relax....for now.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
I say we all panic, freak out and cry some, this could be the end of the world. THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING !

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Wait so Loungo is coming over here for sure?

As well what's the recap anyone?
Well he didn't say it.

But Burke has often said "You never can say you're interested in a player who's under contract to another team(that's tampering), But you can say when you're not interested in a specific player"

To this point he has never said he's not interested in Luongo he always gives the "you can't talk about it(tampering)" line. Plus you add that Nonis had him in Vancouver, And I also have a lot respect and belief in the story John Shannon put out there a few weeks ago. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...o_maple_leafs/

Also it should be said he's a pretty damn good goalie. The only problem is the size of the contract, And equating the value of him taking everything into consideration.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I've attempted to decode everything Burke says (and try to get a read on what the underlying meanings are in all his interviews) and what I've come to realize over the years is that he's a master manipulator. Sort of like a magician..or M. Night Shyamalan..just when you think it's going one way, it goes another..and then you think the trick is over and boom it goes a totally different direction.

I've given up trying to figure out what direction he's going lol

11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
hockeywiz542

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Can someone post a recap of this for those of us at the office?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...s_marlies_ahl/

Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs general manager joined hockey Central @ Noon for a 14-minute interview that touched on everything from the ever-present Roberto Luongo trade speculation to the NHL GMs' responsibility to not comment on the lockout, from the performance of Toronto Marlies forward Nazem Kadri to the big-league prospects of first-round draft pick Morgan Reilly should the lockout end and a season be saved. When asked about Sportsnet's John Shannon's belief that Luongo will be a Maple Leaf once the lockout ends, Burke offered the following:

"You're talking about a player that's under contract with another team," Burke explained. "I emphatically deny that's not true. There is no deal in place… for this player or any other player with the Vancouver Canucks.

"(Vancouver Canucks GM) Mike Gillis and I may disagree on things from time to time, but we agree on this one."
Quote:
With no Leafs action this autumn, Burke said his focus has been split between taking care of the corporate side of the franchise, scouting amateurs, and watching the Marlies' progress.

The Leafs' AHL club is now 7-4-1, currently coming off a road trip and riding a four-game winning streak.

Burke admitted that Nazem Kadri, criticized in training camp by Marlies coach Dallas Eakins, has scored only one goal this season but defended his player's one-game healthy-scratch status as a function of bloated roster numbers.

"He's got one goal. We expect that to pick up. We didn't think his preparation was as good as it could've been, and that's probably been reflected in his performance," Burke said. "But he is a good kid and a hardnosed kid."

The Marlies won't be the only source of youth for the Leafs, however, when the NHL resumes.

"If we're fortunate enough to play," Burke said, the Leafs would be bringing defenceman Reilly into camp. Ditto 2011 draft choice David Broll, currently succeeding in the OHL.

"Those kids deserve that shot," Burke said. "I want to put them in a position that, if we're able to play, the coaches have a decision to make on those players."

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Burkes done a lot of things questionable to wrong since being a GM here, but this isn't one of those situations with Boll. Of course Boll IS going to get a chance at training camp to make the team, every team gives their propects a "chance" to make the team, that IS what training camp is for is to evalute where their prospects are at, the same applies to the leafs. Actually from what I've heard about Boll is he hits like a truck and has a lot of heart, I wouldn't mind a guy like that or several more like that playing on the bottom 2 lines.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
SarcazemKadri

Anyone hear how jacked up Burke was when asked about AA's big move? You just know he went from 6 to midnight in an instant.

SarcazemKadri is online now   Reply With Quote