HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Players Likely To Retire In the Event Of A Full-Season Lockout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2012, 11:14 PM
  #26
Elysian
@AdamBath
 
Elysian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 500
Morrow seems like an odd choice. Yeah he had a terrible season last season, but I'd think he'd really want to see if he can come back healthy. If we miss a whole season he has that much more time to get healthy.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:12 AM
  #27
ThunderAlleyNomad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,196
vCash: 500
They screwed up on the Lightning IMO

Marty St. Louis-not very damn likely. He's incredibly determined to still play and works out like a maniac. His numbers last season were down a bit, but still more than respectable. He'll be back.

Salo-maybe. It would probably be best for him, poor guy.

Ohlund-If his knees are still silly putty why would he? He looks to make decent money sitting on LTIR. And with Ohlund, I doubt he would retire if he was able to play. He wants to play.

Garon-Doubtful. If he's healthy, he's still a serviceable backup.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
  #28
Slashers98
Registered User
 
Slashers98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Thanks for the comments guys, I added the Canucks, but they don't have any player likely to retire, even if every Canucks fan secretly wishes Keith Ballard never comes back.

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
  #29
Suddenly7
Registered User
 
Suddenly7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 559
vCash: 500
Teemu Selanne. There isn't really a reason for him to continue playing anymore. He has won almost everything there is to win in the NHL. The reason he comes back is the love of the game. I have a feeling if the lockout happen it will be the end. Just as it saved his career it will be the reason to end it.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
  #30
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,230
vCash: 500
Ray Whitney?

Did the people who wrote this watch any of his games last year?

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:25 PM
  #31
SephF
Visually Better
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,525
vCash: 500
Kipprusoff and Iginla are not going to retire. No chance.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  #32
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey
 
jack mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Baxter, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
Teemu Selanne. There isn't really a reason for him to continue playing anymore. He has won almost everything there is to win in the NHL. The reason he comes back is the love of the game. I have a feeling if the lockout happen it will be the end. Just as it saved his career it will be the reason to end it.
yup, and the Ducks are going no where anytime soon. we may have seen the last of Teemu

jack mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:29 AM
  #33
Droc
Classless
 
Droc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In my house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Very real chance Alfredsson wont return if we loose the season. Devastating to the team and the fans as he is the franchise player and this season was to be a big deal for him and the fans.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:34 AM
  #34
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular combo
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,145
vCash: 500
Absolutely no chance Dan Boyle retires.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:37 AM
  #35
Christmas Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Christmas Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Ray Whitney?

Did the people who wrote this watch any of his games last year?
Yeah, but a year can do that to an older player.

Also, it doesn't matter how good he is. He can decide to retire, the team doesn't need to force him into it. Maybe he wants to be done.

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:53 AM
  #36
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 16,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybbe View Post
Kinda off topic, but I had no idea that Theodore was 36, thought he was around 32-33.
he looks young for his age, must be rogaine..

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:05 AM
  #37
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 50
Antti Miettinen seemed like an odd choice to retire. 32 years old.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:17 AM
  #38
gifted88
Dante the poet
 
gifted88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,353
vCash: 500
epic fail on the list. If you put someone in their early 30's you'd better explain yourself. Why do they feel Morrow will retire? What is this being based on?

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:43 AM
  #39
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
lol wtf. Vancouver has an NHL team, too !
The magazine is called "Playoffs". Everybody knows Vancouver disappears in the playoffs.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:54 AM
  #40
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,079
vCash: 500
I agree with their choices for Ottawa. It'd be such a shame if Alfredsson had to retire because of the lockout and didn't get a proper goodbye by playing a full season.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:07 AM
  #41
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,704
vCash: 500
Lilja probably for the Flyers. Although, he could go back to Sweden and play a few more years. Timonen could do the same but in Finland, but Idoubt it. I think he might come back on a cheaper contracts and a reduced role with the Flyers

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
  #42
Zakkk
Registered User
 
Zakkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
Teemu Selanne. There isn't really a reason for him to continue playing anymore. He has won almost everything there is to win in the NHL. The reason he comes back is the love of the game. I have a feeling if the lockout happen it will be the end. Just as it saved his career it will be the reason to end it.
I'm like 95% sure he will return if the lockout lasts a full season. This is not the way he wants to leave the rink.

Zakkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:27 AM
  #43
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Alfredsson, Jagr, Selanne, Whitney, Gonchar...

...I'm on the fence about Pronger. It's possible that his career has already unofficially ended after his last injury, but perhaps the full year off may give him some additional time to recover. Hopefully he doesn't wind up being one of those guys who can never fully shake their PCS.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:58 AM
  #44
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Ray Whitney?

Did the people who wrote this watch any of his games last year?
He was pretty useless in the playoffs especially against LA.

But he signed a 2 yr contract I think so it's unlikely and this list is overdoing it.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
  #45
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All
 
None Shall Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 500
It's funny that you say that it's "Likely" that five Devils will retire if the lockout goes all season, when three of them (Salvo, Brodeur, Moose) signed multi-year deals this off-season, and the fourth is Patrik Elias, who just had one of the best seasons of his career.

That's not "likely" at all. Not even close.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:37 PM
  #46
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey
 
jack mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Baxter, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
he looks young for his age, must be rogaine..
leaving Montreal adds years to your life

jack mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
  #47
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
he looks young for his age, must be rogaine..
He does look young and its funny because I've always thought that a lot of athletes (especially hockey players) always look much older than they are.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
  #48
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
Thanks for the comments guys, I added the Canucks, but they don't have any player likely to retire, even if every Canucks fan secretly wishes Keith Ballard never comes back.
Malhotra seems like a candidate, to me.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:01 AM
  #49
AJMHABS
25days!! New life
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Selanne, Whitney, and maybe Jagr.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:12 AM
  #50
Hurt
Registered User
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack mullet View Post
leaving Montreal adds years to your life
Montreal's a great city.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.