HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
scary list for Burke, if he wants unchanged he'd better get Luongo. If he his not prepared to pay he might as well pull an Oilers and try for MacKinnon, Barkov or Jones. At least that way he's got something to show for sucking, maybe enough to save his job. He's got the cash to go after Getzlaf and Perry, those two plus MacKinnon/Barkov and they are set up front, then take a run at Luongo after the season assuming we still have him.

I'm not worried about Burke's motivation to acquire Luongo. There is interest, we know it. Either he pays or he doesn't get him. That said, I'm a little uneasy as to this team's pro scouting, more than what Burke is willing to give up. Bozak coming back over someone like Colborne doesn't make sense to me, but it may just happen that way.

The rumoured interest was in Gardiner, and when he gets pulled off the table, Gillis should still have interest in getting a Dman back. Is it Franson? I don't think so because of his lack of footspeed. So who does he go to? To me, it comes down to Holzer/Blacker/Percy... and the Leafs hold onto Holzer because he can contribute now, and the top6 spots in VAN are full. Percy makes sense for that reason.

After that, it's RW and Frattin is the target IMO.

So if Burke is willing to give up Colborne/Bozak + Frattin + 1st + Percy, this deal gets done IMO. Bozak hurts the Leafs more, so I hope he isn't a name that Gillis covets because it's just going to stall the deal.

Also, aren't Reimer + Scrivens waiver eligable? Maybe one comes back if that's the case?

Quote:
That's a way higher standard than
most people have. There would be lucky to be 10 of those at any time.

Yeah I figured it was too extreme a definition. In any event, he is extremely unlikely to available due to just being drafted.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Burke thinks Reilly is a cant miss star. He was first on their list

Old
11-15-2012, 09:40 AM
dave babych returns

If we're talking about getting a C, RW, D, and a first round pick (and only one NHL player - who is not even close to their best player, nor one of their best prospects for that matter) back from a team then I don't think Toronto is a fit.

I'd rather take Upshall, Shore, Petrovic and a 1st than Frattin, Colborne, Percy and a 1st.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
If we're talking about getting a C, RW, D, and a first round pick (and only one NHL player - who is not even close to their best player, nor one of their best prospects for that matter) back from a team then I don't think Toronto is a fit.

I'd rather take Upshall, Shore, Petrovic and a 1st than Frattin, Colborne, Percy and a 1st.
How about keep Luongo and trade Snieder for a better return. The return for Luongo, according to "our sources" (Ha Ha Ha) is not worth his value. Could Snieder bring Rielly or Gardiner?

Old
11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
How about keep Luongo and trade Snieder for a better return. The return for Luongo, according to "our sources" (Ha Ha Ha) is not worth his value. Could Snieder bring Rielly or Gardiner?
Schneider wouldn't return Gardiner.

I'd take Schneider, Petrovic, Shore, a 1st and Upshall over Luongo and Gardiner, personally.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Schneider wouldn't return Gardiner.

I'd take Schneider, Petrovic, Shore, a 1st and Upshall over Luongo and Gardiner, personally.
This is where we differ: I would much rather have one very good player in return, than several average players (Or, uncertain picks.)

Old
11-15-2012, 10:36 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
This is where we differ: I would much rather have one very good player in return, than several average players (Or, uncertain picks.)
Me too, if keeping Luongo and keeping Schneider was more or less the same (it's not).

Old
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Me too, if keeping Luongo and keeping Schneider was more or less the same (it's not).
Oh yes, I forgot that Schnieder is a proven number one goalie, and Luongo was only old and overpaid.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Oh yes, I forgot that Schnieder is a proven number one goalie, and Luongo was only old and overpaid.

DBR's right. It's still not the same. These two carry differing values to the organization.

I also agree that the FLA package is better than the one listed for TO, but then we know that TO is more apt to pay that price because their need is greater. Not sure about FLA.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
DBR's right. It's still not the same. These two carry differing values to the organization.

I also agree that the FLA package is better than the one listed for TO, but then we know that TO is more apt to pay that price because their need is greater. Not sure about FLA.
TO would have zero problems with taking on Luongo's front-end loaded contract (I'm not talking about his cap hit but what he's actually going to be paid). FLA ownership might be strong financially but they don't have essentially bottomless wallets like TO.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
TO would have zero problems with taking on Luongo's front-end loaded contract (I'm not talking about his cap hit but what he's actually going to be paid). FLA ownership might be strong financially but they don't have essentially bottomless wallets like TO.
I think people are underestimating how much Florida could use Luongo. The former owner of the Panthers was on the TEAM in the last couple months talking about what went wrong there. He spoke to how well they did there with any kind of on ice success and how their failure as a franchise was directly related to their on ice failure. The Panthers were a surprise team last season, maybe a little lucky to succeed with that team. There has to be pressure from ownership to build on that. Roberto Luongo is a significant investment, he's also the best bang for that buck for a team like Florida. They can't get another player that will have that impact for that money.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Inverted

How about something around Lupul + 1st (top 10 protected) + prospect?

Old
11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
I'm fine with that. How does Blacker sound as the prospect?

Old
11-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
If the CBA grandfathers Luongo's contract...TO has no issue with any of it.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm fine with that. How does Blacker sound as the prospect?
I am ok with this.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

We are in a winning mode now, prospects wouldn't able to contribute immediately and therefore no use for us in the next season, unless you are talking about prospect that can play right now and not being a liability on ice, but that is a highly unlikely scenario for a contending team.

Jake Gardiner and JVR should be minimum for Luongo, otherwise its better for us to just keep both goalies.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Jake Gardiner and JVR should be minimum for Luongo, otherwise its better for us to just keep both goalies.
Those guys aren't that good, Corsby or bust.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
We are in a winning mode now, prospects wouldn't able to contribute immediately and therefore no use for us in the next season, unless you are talking about prospect that can play right now and not being a liability on ice, but that is a highly unlikely scenario for a contending team.

So, what have Jake Gardiner and JVR done that say's to you "help now"? Lupul has proven he can help now, JVR and Gardiner are essentially prospects.....and you don't want those.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Sarcasm detected, but honestly though i rather have Malkin since Crosby seems to get injured a lot.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
So, what have Jake Gardiner and JVR done that say's to you "help now"? Lupul has proven he can help now, JVR and Gardiner are essentially prospects.....and you don't want those.
I wouldn't call JVR and Gardiner a prospects for both of them already had at least one year of pro hockey on their belt, even more for JVR.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
I wouldn't call JVR and Gardiner a prospects for both of them already had at least one year of pro hockey on their belt, even more for JVR.
True, but Gards has only 1 year of "sheltered minutes" (not my words) and JVR has a carreer best 40 points. Lupul on the other hand has just had a PPG season.....so if as you say you are going for a player that helps now....this doesn't fit. It seems to me that you are demanding players you know are not on the table....reason?

Old
11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
Sounds familiar

Old
11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Lupul on the other hand has just had a PPG season.....so if as you say you are going for a player that helps now....this doesn't fit. It seems to me that you are demanding players you know are not on the table....reason?
It's pretty obvious, wanting JVR/Gardiner helps us in the same way your proposal of Lupul + 1st does. A little bit of help now and possibly even more help in the future.

JVRs impact in the next 5ish years > Lupul + mid 1st round player. Of course arguments can be made either way depending on how highly JVR is thought of.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
It seems to me that you are demanding players you know are not on the table....reason?
Nope, I honestly expected them to be on the table or there should be no deal. The Canucks is fine by having two great goalie on the team.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:33 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Brian Burke has even more pressure on him to make a bold move because of what the BlueJays have done. Burkie's price just went up.. LOL

Closed Thread