HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Karlsson vs. Doughty vs. Pietrangelo (without a twist)

View Poll Results: Who is the best defenceman (in order):
Karlsson-Pietro-Doughty 85 18.24%
Karlsson-Doughty-Pietro 75 16.09%
Pietro-Karlsson-Doughty 70 15.02%
Pietro-Doughty-Karlsson 76 16.31%
Doughty-Karlsson-Pietro 57 12.23%
Doughty-Pietro-Karlsson 103 22.10%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
drmagg

vCash: 500
Pietro-Doughty-Karlsson

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:15 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
kpd.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Dpk.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:19 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

All 3 are legit franchise caliber defensemen. It's too hard to chose, but if you have a gun to my head I go Pietro-Doughty-Karlsson. I like big, 2-way defensemen.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
No one has ever questioned his puck carrying capabilities, which is all Park is saying.
No he talked about his puck carrying abilities in the same breath as Orr. My point was had a Sens fan said that, they'd have been laughed at for using Orr in the same sentence, even if was reasonable.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
Isnt paul coffey an unrealistic enough comparison? Must we drah orr down to this level?
Regardless of what kind of career Karlsson has, there's no doubting he skates a lot like Coffey did. I've seen that comparison many times among hockey people and writers.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Minor Boarding

Doughty was in discussion for the Norris when the other two weren't even full time NHL-ers. He made team Canada Olympic squad when the other two were rookies.
And if you bothered to watch the playoffs - one of the players had 16Pts +11 in 20 games and was one of the best skaters on the team that won the cup. If it wasn't for Quick breaking all-time records with his performance, Doughty could've very well won the Conn Smythe (he would have been in serious discussions together with Brown and Kopitar).

Last edited by TMI: 11-15-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: quote
Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:14 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Yeah, I'm afraid I agree.

He missed training camp IIRC so he was behind the eight-ball from the start of the season.

The fact that he played his best hockey during the NHL playoffs in a Cup winning run pretty much dispels the first half of the season.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:52 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
All 3 are legit franchise caliber defensemen. It's too hard to chose, but if you have a gun to my head I go Pietro-Doughty-Karlsson. I like big, 2-way defensemen.
This is the ONLY reason why they will always be a bit better on the defense than EK. Tough to argue size however but i would still take EK over Pie but not over doughty

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Benny FTW
yup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Doughty was in discussion for the Norris when the other two weren't even full time NHL-ers. He made team Canada Olympic squad when the other two were rookies.
He has regressed since then.
Quote:
And if you bothered to watch the playoffs - one of the players had 16Pts +11 in 20 games and was one of the best skaters on the team that won the cup. If it wasn't for Quick breaking all-time records with his performance, Doughty could've very well won the Conn Smythe (he would have been in serious discussions together with Brown and Kopitar).
Both Karlsson and Pietrangelo would have done better than Doughty in the playoffs. As they are better players.

They aren't pulling ahead, they have already pulled ahead.

Last edited by TMI: 11-15-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: quote
Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post

Both Karlsson and Pietrangelo would have done better than Doughty in the playoffs. As they are better players.

You realise they both were in the playoffs right?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Commentary on fan bases is not welcome. Responding to commentary on your fan base with a similar knock on another fan base is also against the rules. Discuss the topic. Report posts that break the rules instead of replying to them. I'm tired of having to say this...

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:32 PM
cyclones22

Quote:

Doughty lacked some professionalism the last couple of years under Murray, for sure. No doubt about that. Then he had the hold out then was concussed early last season. That being said, he performed better, like the OLD Doughty under Sutter. We Kings fans hope that the switch has finally been flipped to "On" for good with Sutter holding the cattle prod.

Doughty's best season is better than Pietro's best season. Doughty's 27 points in 32 playoff games dwarfs either of the other two players' performances in the postseason. Doughty has won everywhere and has been an impact contributor at every level and in every major tournament. He has that "it" factor.

Just a side note, if Karlsson had scored more than a single point versus the Rangers in a 7 game series, the Sens may have actually advanced. Greatest 1 point performance of all-time, I'm sure. He could have had a playoff defining moment against the Rangers, but it didn't happen. It will happen someday, but it hasn't happened yet. It has for Doughty, in spades. That's not regressing. It's taking it to the next level. Erik Karlsson deserves credit for being the shining light on a bad defensive team. 24th in goals against, 29th in shots against, 20th ranked PK. They do have a better than average goaltender in Anderson, so GAA can't all be pinned on him.

Anyway, 3 very different players who all have different roles and expectations for the clubs they play on. As a Kings fan, I was pissed that the Lightning got Stamkos basically on the last day of the 2008 season thanks to Brian Willsie's compete level. That being said, not a bad consolation prize, that Doughty kid. 3 straight playoff appearances and a Stanley Cup after being a 71 point team.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
journeyman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post

Most hockey fans did watch the playoffs and alot of people have also watched hockey over the past 2 seasons in which Doughty has been nothing special.

journeyman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Benny FTW
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
You realise they both were in the playoffs right?
I meant if they were on LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Doughty lacked some professionalism the last couple of years under Murray, for sure. No doubt about that. Then he had the hold out then was concussed early last season. That being said, he performed better, like the OLD Doughty under Sutter. We Kings fans hope that the switch has finally been flipped to "On" for good with Sutter holding the cattle prod.

Doughty's best season is better than Pietro's best season. Doughty's 27 points in 32 playoff games dwarfs either of the other two players' performances in the postseason. Doughty has won everywhere and has been an impact contributor at every level and in every major tournament. He has that "it" factor.

Just a side note, if Karlsson had scored more than a single point versus the Rangers in a 7 game series, the Sens may have actually advanced. Greatest 1 point performance of all-time, I'm sure. He could have had a playoff defining moment against the Rangers, but it didn't happen. It will happen someday, but it hasn't happened yet. It has for Doughty, in spades. That's not regressing. It's taking it to the next level. Erik Karlsson deserves credit for being the shining light on a bad defensive team. 24th in goals against, 29th in shots against, 20th ranked PK. They do have a better than average goaltender in Anderson, so GAA can't all be pinned on him.

Anyway, 3 very different players who all have different roles and expectations for the clubs they play on. As a Kings fan, I was pissed that the Lightning got Stamkos basically on the last day of the 2008 season thanks to Brian Willsie's compete level. That being said, not a bad consolation prize, that Doughty kid. 3 straight playoff appearances and a Stanley Cup after being a 71 point team.
Even if he has it "on" or has "it", I dont see Doughty being as good as Karlsson or Pietrangelo.

Everyone assumes Karlsson had a bad series. Sure he could have been better but ask Ranger fans just how good defensively he was. He proved he has the ability to play a good defensive game. The rangers game plan was to shutdown Karlsson.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Benny FTW
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman79 View Post
Most hockey fans did watch the playoffs and alot of people have also watched hockey over the past 2 seasons in which Doughty has been nothing special.
During the last 2 seasons he was really meh but during the last playoffs he was pretty fudging good.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
journeyman79

Quote:
During the last 2 seasons he was really meh but during the last playoffs he was pretty fudging good.
Most definitely but so was Dustin Brown.

Using the same logic, Brown's a top 10 forward in the league.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Benny FTW
yup

Quote:
Most definitely but so was Dustin Brown.

Using the same logic, Brown's a top 10 forward in the league.
I dont think Doughty is a top-10 dman.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:57 PM
journeyman79

Quote:
I don't think Brown's a top 10 forward.

Point is Sutter lit a fire and got everyone to play at the top of their game and beyond.

There's something intangible about a Stanley cup winning hockey team where everyone "get's it". From top to bottom. You can look at every cup winner and see it and if you were just introduced to hockey you would think that every player on that team is a superstar.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:12 PM
LaLaLand

Quote:

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
cyclones22

Quote:
I don't think Brown's a top 10 forward.

Point is Sutter lit a fire and got everyone to play at the top of their game and beyond.

There's something intangible about a Stanley cup winning hockey team where everyone "get's it". From top to bottom. You can look at every cup winner and see it and if you were just introduced to hockey you would think that every player on that team is a superstar.
Right, except you're conveniently forgetting Doughty was Norris finalist a few years ago. You're acting like he's never shown the ability to play at an elite level for an extended period of time. All Doughty did in the playoffs was remind everyone that at 22 years old, he's still got it in him. Brown was never held in the high regard that Doughty has, so apples and oranges comparison.

It's funny, 2 years of "meh" play eh? Meh by Doughty's standards, yes. Doughty, 40 points in 76 games in 2011. Pietroangelo, 43 points in 79 games. Karlsson, 45 points in 75 games. What's your definition of "meh"? 41 points is the cut-off, I'm guessing? Looks to me like 3 comparable seasons in 2011. So I guess Karlsson and Pietro each only have 1 good season (last season) on their resumes, right? Right...

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:10 PM
journeyman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Right, except you're conveniently forgetting Doughty was Norris finalist a few years ago. You're acting like he's never shown the ability to play at an elite level for an extended period of time. All Doughty did in the playoffs was remind everyone that at 22 years old, he's still got it in him. Brown was never held in the high regard that Doughty has, so apples and oranges comparison.

It's funny, 2 years of "meh" play eh? Meh by Doughty's standards, yes. Doughty, 40 points in 76 games in 2011. Pietroangelo, 43 points in 79 games. Karlsson, 45 points in 75 games. What's your definition of "meh"? 41 points is the cut-off, I'm guessing? Looks to me like 3 comparable seasons in 2011. So I guess Karlsson and Pietro each only have 1 good season (last season) on their resumes, right? Right...
You're not going to sell me on points bro I'm a Blues fan not a Sens fan and if you need any reminders of what "meh" means take a day off of work and wade your way through LA's GDTs of the past 2 years. My opinion of Doughty's play isn't based off of watching every single Kings game in the past 2 seasons, it's based off of Kings fans watching every single game in the past 2 seasons.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to need to see this top ten list

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old