HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness the 4th: and here we wait in trade-completion limbo

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
AndMat*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
James Cybulski ‏@JamesCybulski

CORRECTION: No Selig presser live at 4pm. Misunderstanding from some who thought it was live, but actually earlier in the day. Sorry people
Stupid tsn

Old
11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
James Cybulski ‏@JamesCybulski

CORRECTION: No Selig presser live at 4pm. Misunderstanding from some who thought it was live, but actually earlier in the day. Sorry people
lol James Cybulski.

Never buy anything TSN or any of the radio guys say because lets face it, nobody will ever give them the first scoop.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Bud Selig press conference at 4:00 can be listend to on TSN.ca...

GULP
I don't really remember this ever happening before. It's a little concerning.

Nevermind. Just read the post above

Last edited by dredeye: 11-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Lol. Good ol' James!

Old
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
HappyGilmourr

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's veto'd... that's Toronto sports luck for you. its like getting a good deal on a brand new ferrari and then the owner changing his mind

Old
11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

This cannot happen to Jays fans, that would be just so cruel. Everyone is so excited.

It's going through, just might take a little longer than usual. There is NO reason whatsoever to veto this deal. Don't even think about it Selig.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:41 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I nearly sharted.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:42 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
This cannot happen to Jays fans, that would be just so cruel. Everyone is so excited.

It's going through, just might take a little longer than usual. There is NO reason whatsoever to veto this deal. Don't even think about it Selig.
The ONLY reason its taking so long is because when you're taking on this much salary you need due dilligence.

Everyone needs to get a physical done. Its not like when the Dodgers trade happened mid season because all those guys in Boston were right there and available to do a medical. These guys are spread all around North America.

On top of that theres a ton of bodies moving. No one wants damaged goods... Mike Sirotka anyone?

Old
11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
The ONLY reason its taking so long is because when you're taking on this much salary you need due dilligence.

Everyone needs to get a physical done. Its not like when the Dodgers trade happened mid season because all those guys in Boston were right there and available to do a medical. These guys are spread all around North America.

On top of that theres a ton of bodies moving. No one wants damaged goods... Mike Sirotka anyone?
DO NOT bring up that name. Nightmares

Old
11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi

#Jays-#Marlins blockbuster may take another day or two to get finalized with paperwork, physicals and approvals to get through. #dontpanic
how many more days or two are they gonna need?

Old
11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
I don't expect it to be vetoed, but if it was, it literally could have the same impact on the Jays as the impact of the 1994 strike has on the Expos.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:47 PM
HappyGilmourr

I wonder if the Jays would ever consider moving Travis D'arnaud from catcher to 1B. We don't have anyone really in the minor leagues that could be a big time middle of the order bat that plays first. (Cooper doesn't have that offensive potential) When you have a catcher that can produce as well as a guy like Posey, I wouldn't even want him to play Catcher, he's elite enough offensively that putting him at first and he would still be elite. D'arnaud may not be the next posey but if he can actually hit .300, while driving in runs I would be fine with him playing first. It would allow a Buck/Arencibia combo at Catcher, and Edwin to DH since he sucks defensively.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
I wonder if the Jays would ever consider moving Travis D'arnaud from catcher to 1B. We don't have anyone really in the minor leagues that could be a big time middle of the order bat that plays first. (Cooper doesn't have that offensive potential) When you have a catcher that can produce as well as a guy like Posey, I wouldn't even want him to play Catcher, he's elite enough offensively that putting him at first and he would still be elite. D'arnaud may not be the next posey but if he can actually hit .300, while driving in runs I would be fine with him playing first. It would allow a Buck/Arencibia combo at Catcher, and Edwin to DH since he sucks defensively.
I thought his bat wasnt good enough for first. I know his bat would be great at catcher, but im not to sure about first.

Anyway, I think there has to be a problem, or the Jays probably wouldve moved him to first by now.

Old
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
So much of his value comes from his ability to do that at the catcher position though. It's why converting JP doesn't make much sense, because as a first baseman his offense, which is an asset at catcher, is pretty pedestrian. From what I know D'Arnaud has no issues with catching defensively, so to move him would only be taking away from his value to the team.

Old
ryno23

Bud Selig is the wild card in all of this....do you really think he cares if he pissed off Toronto when other teams around baseball are whining about the deal and don't want to see it happen. He is more worried about the look of it to FLA fans. He doesn't care about what hockey fans think of him in Canada

Don't forget he is the Joker that instituted home field advantage for the World Series based on a 1 game exhibition cause he got flustered in extra innings at a world series game in his former home park.

More I see them drag it on more I see them trying to come up with reason not to go thru with it.

The Dodgers & Sox deal was approved same day.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:54 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Bud Selig is the wild card in all of this....do you really think he cares if he pissed off Toronto when other teams around baseball are whining about the deal and don't want to see it happen. He is more worried about the look of it to FLA fans. He doesn't care about what hockey fans think of him in Canada

Don't forget he is the Joker that instituted home field advantage for the World Series based on a 1 game exhibition cause he got flustered in extra innings at a world series game in his former home park.

More I see them drag it on more I see them trying to come up with reason not to go thru with it.

I am sick! The longer it goes the worse off! IMO.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
I am sick! The longer it goes the worse off! IMO.
I know it just seems like they are trying to hold off to make people start to think its a no go and then bamm its a no go.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:58 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I don't expect it to be vetoed, but if it was, it literally could have the same impact on the Jays as the impact of the 1994 strike has on the Expos.
I wouldn't go that far. AA would just move on to other things and potential just lighten the deal with the Marlins. Fans would be furious I'm sure but it wouldn't cause the loss of the franchise. Not even close.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
That deal was completed during the regular season which made it easy for players to be notified and have their physicals. Right now the players involved are spread out over North and Central America. I can see why it would take some time.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:

I'd agree with all this but Bud Selig's family still owns the Brewers AFAIK

Old
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
In the same way that Arencibia's flaws are tolerated becuase he's a catcher, d'Arnaud's skills offensively are so highly prized because he's a catcher. You'd be taking a player whose output is projected to be in the higher tier of catchers offensively and putting him at a position where that same output now makes him middle-of-the-pack.

Also Encarnacion is fine at 1st. The fatal flaw in his D is that he's got terrible throwing accuracy. He was serviceable-to-good in terms of handling the demands of 3rd base athletically and with the glove itself, the majority of his problems were making the throws to first. While he's not going to win gold gloves (whatever that's worth given the sometimes questionable voting process) or make all-defensive teams, he's good enough to justify playing there and not cost the team runs like he would've at 3rd.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Switching d'Arnaud to 1B is just taking away all that value from him.

Like Montero having to switch to DH/1B, and now Mauer too because of his recurring injuries.

And no, d'Arnaud's injuries aren't recurring like Mauer's, his were freak accidents.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:23 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
In the same way that Arencibia's flaws are tolerated becuase he's a catcher, d'Arnaud's skills offensively are so highly prized because he's a catcher. You'd be taking a player whose output is projected to be in the higher tier of catchers offensively and putting him at a position where that same output now makes him middle-of-the-pack.

Also Encarnacion is fine at 1st. The fatal flaw in his D is that he's got terrible throwing accuracy. He was serviceable-to-good in terms of handling the demands of 3rd base athletically and with the glove itself, the majority of his problems were making the throws to first. While he's not going to win gold gloves (whatever that's worth given the sometimes questionable voting process) or make all-defensive teams, he's good enough to justify playing there and not cost the team runs like he would've at 3rd.
Bang on. I have no problem with EE at 1b. He is an above average fielding 1b. He will not win a gold glove but makes all the plays needed.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
how many more days or two are they gonna need?
That's what I'm asking as well. Beats me. You can't tell me physicals haven't been done already. I know for sure that Nicolino and DeSclafani were in Florida yesterday getting physicals.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I wouldn't go that far. AA would just move on to other things and potential just lighten the deal with the Marlins. Fans would be furious I'm sure but it wouldn't cause the loss of the franchise. Not even close.
Why? This deal being vetoed would put the Jays back to last year again, which was again well under .500 baseball, and I don't think fans would put up with the MLB again, and in turn, boycott the MLB to an extent.

Same with the Expos in 1994. The league screwed over the team in a season they were on the verge of potentially challenging for the World Series, potentially putting them over the hump in getting a new stadium, and instead, the team never won anything, the team was forgotten about, screwed over, and ultimately, moved to DC.

Closed Thread