HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nathan Horton next contact

Old
11-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Oates2Neely

vCash: 500
Chiarelli has a great reputation with his players, he's treated them fairly. He's paid them accordingly, sometimes a tad more than us Bruins fans have felt theyre worth, but in the end, the contracts end up exactly where they should be (ex. Lucic signing his 2nd contract, fans cried "overpayment", but Lucic earned every penny of that deal).

Chris Kelly is a guy most us Boston fans thought could be gone due to high contract demands after his 20-goal season, but he's a Bruin. If Chiarelli wants Horton, Horton will be a Bruin.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:05 PM
nmbr_24

The only way I see Horton leaving Boston is if Chiarelli doesn't want him there any longer or the salary cap goes so low that the Bruins can't retain him even though between Horton, Thomas, and Savard they have $13 and only need to sign Horton out of the 3 and don't even need replacements for the other 2..

Anyone who has heard Horton talk about Boston and the Bruins knows that his choice is to remain with the team, so if the team wants him they will find a way to keep him.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
And again, you or I have no clue what he wants/doesnt want, so your post means nothing, and saying things like "he likes money more" and "he'll be gone" is just completely absurd.

The whole, "player X left for more money so player Y could too" argument, which is always a possibility, I guess. Bottom line is, you have 0 clue whether Horton would go to team X offering 6.5 a year or Boston offering 5.5 a year, because neither of us know whats going on in his head.

All we know is, he loves Boston and everything that comes with it, and he has a very good chance to compete for Cups for the remainder of his career. His friends are here, hes played great hockey here, and could feasibly get a good contract here. Judging by his interviews/various comments about the city/everything that comes with it, I will be genuinely surprised if he doesnt re sign in Boston.

I also referred to this in my first post with "if his money demands are ridiculously too high then I don't see him leaving," so I dont see why this is an issue.
Dude say all you want but players do follow money.

Joe Sakic loved Colorado but when NYR sent him an offer sheet worth 21 million dollars he accepted it.

Weber loved Nashville but he too was willing to leave for more money.

Fact of the matter is there is many cases of a player leaving for more money so you can't just dismiss it because you are afraid one of your favorite players is a upcoming UFA.

EDIT: Also we are in the middle of a lockout due to money so really the very idea of players not wanting more money seems quite odd.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
doesnt exactly sound like a situation where hed high tail it out of here for extra cash, especially if that meant signing in Buffalo...
he lives in Dunnville Ontario which is about 30 minutes to HSBC arena so Buffalo could be an attractive destination for him, I think he will re up with the Bruins buts its not unreasonable to think he will test free agency when most teams are looking for a player like him

Last edited by 1972: 11-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I think he wants to stay Bruin, but he's more than likely not getting a big raise.

I can see some desperate team making an absolutely desperate offer, though. Probably one of our division rivals. Take him our of our top-6 and we lose a physical force who can more or less determine a game when he's hot. As well as a huge chemistry guy and playoff performer who's usually good for 20-30 goals, that puts a bit of a hole in our offense...

Luckily I'm confident with saying I'll let Chiarelli handle it.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:30 PM
bostonphoenix

Quote:
Oh he will? How do you know this? You know, people sometimes take less money to stay in a place they WANT to be.

Horton loves Boston, loves the team, plays his best with Lucic and Chara on the ice, and has a very good shot at winning more Stanley Cups.

Like I said before, I highly doubt he leaves, unless his money demands are just ridiculous. If he wants Lucic money, be my guest and leave via UFA.
How do you know this?

Do you sit around the television and talk sincerely with him?

Sometimes people say things and don't mean them.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:38 PM
bigbadbruins1

I would be PO'd if they sign him for more than 5m. He is has been injured for a significant chunk of time and until he is back in game situations I would really hope chia wouldn't overpay him. especially with the cap number unknown, there will be odd players out in boston come next year. we can't keep everyone, especially with seguin and lucic getting 6m, krejci getting 5.5, berg getting 5, etc etc... unless of course we want a 15 man roster.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:01 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
I would be PO'd if they sign him for more than 5m. He is has been injured for a significant chunk of time and until he is back in game situations I would really hope chia wouldn't overpay him. especially with the cap number unknown, there will be odd players out in boston come next year. we can't keep everyone, especially with seguin and lucic getting 6m, krejci getting 5.5, berg getting 5, etc etc... unless of course we want a 15 man roster.
I am not so sure exactly what kind of situation the Bruins will be in with the cap. By my calculations, right now the Bruins would be under the cap by $13 million and have Savard's $4 million that they would be able to go over the cap by. That is $17 million in space after this year if nothing was to change, Horton, Ference and Khudobin would be UFA and Caron and Rask would be RFA. So if the cap was to go down by $10 million and there was no salary roll back, then they probably lose Horton and Ference or they have to move other players to keep them, but if there is a salary roll back equal to the percentage the cap goes down, maybe it can be worked out.

Either way, I have no problem with the Bruins paying Horton, he would be one of the harder players to replace in my opinion, I would rather be losing players off of the bottom 2 lines if it is necessary.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Oates2Neely

Then again, IF Knight or Spooner light it up in Providence, perhaps Chiarelli would be more inclined to let go of Horton or Peverly?

Old
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Some things are worth more than money to a player.

Horton spent 5 years on a crappy team in a crappy hockey market.
In my opinion, there is no way he would ever leave a contender in
a great hockey market, even if he was getting a little more money.

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:01 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
I find it kinda funny how OP was curious what he would get on the open market and it just turned into Bruins fans saying he wouldn't do that to them.

For the record, I'd probably offer something like 3 years, 18 million to try and bring him to Edmonton

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-16-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: not needed
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I find it kinda funny how OP was curious what he would get on the open market and it just turned into Bruins fans saying he wouldn't do that to them.

For the record, I'd probably offer something like 3 years, 18 million to try and bring him to Edmonton
I like him and all, but if the Oil are going to dangle that kind of money on a UFA, I'd prefer it be for a guy like Edler.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I like him and all, but if the Oil are going to dangle that kind of money on a UFA, I'd prefer it be for a guy like Edler.
Edler will get more than that as a UFA. Plus, Horton would be fantastic for our top 6

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Eisen

Quote:
So your argument is that "its happened before so it could happen to Horton?" Great stuff there. All I said was I highly doubt he'll leave Boston, except if his money demands are egregiously outlandish.

Judging by his interviews/comments over his time here about how much he loves the city and everything that comes with it, I highly doubt hed leave and go chase the cash elsewhere when the Bruins assumingly would offer him a reasonable deal and a chance to win.

Simplified, if Horton receives a "fair" deal by his estimation, I highly doubt hed leave to go to a random team strictly for extra cash. Not to mention, Chiarelli has been known to "overpay" his players a tad, so I'm sure if he remains here he'll be happy as a clam with his salary.

You are right tho, granted, I don't know whats going on in Hortons head, all I have is my opinion based on what I've seen/read. Take that for what its worth.
But that's his whole point, you can't trust these interviews and reports, they' re all the same.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Btown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
he lives in Dunnville Ontario which is about 30 minutes to HSBC arena so Buffalo could be an attractive destination for him, I think he will re up with the Bruins buts its not unreasonable to think he will test free agency when most teams are looking for a player like him
He's from Dunnville he lives in Florida...
He doesn't make it out to Dunnville very often.
I'm assuming he would be around the 5 million mark keeping the same cap and health issues in mind. Maybe a 1 year contract could make him more money in the long run if he can prove the head problems are gone. Which I believe he will come back strong...

Btown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Pay Carl
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Then again, IF Knight or Spooner light it up in Providence, perhaps Chiarelli would be more inclined to let go of Horton or Peverly?
Peverley just signed a pretty lengthy extension, I dont know what gave you the idea he is expendable

Horton on the other hand is an upcoming UFA who was injured more than he was healthy last year...

Id like to keep him but I dont think hes too important considering even in the time he was playing last year he looked not as great as we have seen him

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Peverley just signed a pretty lengthy extension, I dont know what gave you the idea he is expendable

Horton on the other hand is an upcoming UFA who was injured more than he was healthy last year...

Id like to keep him but I dont think hes too important considering even in the time he was playing last year he looked not as great as we have seen him
The 'if' game. But IF Knight surprised this season, & B's front office felt he could fill Peverlys skates, you dont think its possibe theyd dangle Peverly for a dman or real good prospect? Considering Knight would be on ELC, Peverly making upwards of $3.5m if Im not mistaken.

Im not advocating it, Im just suggesting if Knight &/or Spooner adjust quickly to the pro game, it would give Chiarelli some intersting options.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:07 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I think he stays a Bruin but if Boston offers 4 @ 16m and a team like the leafs offer 5 @ 25 I think he would leave.
I'd happily let him walk if he wanted a 5 year deal.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Ignoring the argument of whether he'd leave or not, Nashville offers at least 5mil. Not sure how much more I would want to risk given his concussions.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
My guess is a 3 year, $5.25 million per year contract.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Dude say all you want but players do follow money.

Joe Sakic loved Colorado but when NYR sent him an offer sheet worth 21 million dollars he accepted it.

Weber loved Nashville but he too was willing to leave for more money.

Fact of the matter is there is many cases of a player leaving for more money so you can't just dismiss it because you are afraid one of your favorite players is a upcoming UFA.

EDIT: Also we are in the middle of a lockout due to money so really the very idea of players not wanting more money seems quite odd.
I never said I dismissed it, you obviously can't comprehend what I'm trying to say.

Using "people have done it before" is a dumb excuse, because everyone is different, and it renders these types of threads useless. You're basing Hortons contract off of Joe Sakic.....'nuff said.

Of course its possible, but theres nothing to base it off of but what we KNOW, and thats that Horton loves Boston and has many friends here/loves playing on the Bruins. Watch some interviews, im no mind reader, but it seems like he loves it here. Also, watch the clip where Horton came back to Boston during the Cup finals, please try and prove to me he doesnt like it. I dont know him personally, have never spoke to him, but the ONLY thing we have to base it on is what we see through the media, and thats been overwhelmingly positive. You're right, this could all be a facade in order to get more money, but I sincerely doubt it.

Please don't respond by saying "other people have done it before," believe me, Phil Kessel chased the money, we all know its possible.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
But that's his whole point, you can't trust these interviews and reports, they' re all the same.
Its not the point, I understand its possible.

Saying "everyone chases the money" is simply untrue, and saying Horton specifically "wil chase the money" is completely moronic and unfounded. Theres nothing to logically base it off of but saying "other people have done it," which wasnt the argument I was debating.

Everything the general public has seen has been overwhelmingly positive, which is why I find it hysterical that people suggest hes going to "chase the cash." Theres simply nothing to base that on when everything we all know has been positive.

Horton could chase the money yes, absolutely, but theres so far been nothing to base it off of but saying "other people have done it." Rick Dipietro signed a 15 year deal, I think anyone with ANY knowledge of hockey knows that anything is possible.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddacey View Post
How do you know this?

Do you sit around the television and talk sincerely with him?

Sometimes people say things and don't mean them.
Ok so your conclusion is Horton will chase the money because other people do it? Nathan Horton is going to sit out this season to live in a bunker in Colorado and prepare for the end of the world...Tim Thomas did it so I think Nathan Horton will do it too.

And yes, I'm sure the constant praising of the organization/fans/city/friends on the team is a big facade trying to stick it to the Bruins.

From what I've seen (which if youre a Bruins fan is likely the same amount as me), Horton loves it here. Thats all we have to base it off of, so thats what I'm sticking with.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Yeah I see no way he goes anywhere but Boston, unless he has disturbingly large money demands. I see around 5-5.5 for Nathan, given his injury history and production over the last couple years.

Hes also BFFs with Lucic, highly doubt hed want to go anywhere else.
Assuming the salary cap goes down is Boston still able to afford him when you factor in who they already have under contract.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
The only way I see Horton leaving Boston is if Chiarelli doesn't want him there any longer or the salary cap goes so low that the Bruins can't retain him even though between Horton, Thomas, and Savard they have $13 and only need to sign Horton out of the 3 and don't even need replacements for the other 2..

Anyone who has heard Horton talk about Boston and the Bruins knows that his choice is to remain with the team, so if the team wants him they will find a way to keep him.
No, didnt you hear? All Horton has said about the Bruins organization is a lie, and he in fact HATES it here, and will undoubtedly "chase the money" because other people have done it.

Just complete idiotic baseless speculation.