HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Three righty spots. Murphy, Ceci, Dumba, and Hamiliton are the guys he has to go through, right?
Not every team obsesses over having 3 rh dmen on the rs & 3 lh dmen on the ls.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
You know not every team obsesses over having 3 rh dmen on the rs & 3 lh dmen on the ls
Yes, I'm aware. I think it does improve his chances, though. Especially after he proved he can play well on his off-side.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Yes, I'm aware. I think it does improve his chances, though. Especially after he proved he can play well on his off-side.
No doubt, I also think his versatility will help him. This year he is lighting it up offensively but lets not forget he was a Finalist for the Max Kaminsky Trophy (OHL dman of the year) based on his defensive play last season. He can play in different situations be that pp, pk, offensive role, shutdown & I think that will give him a good edge.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:49 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
No doubt, I also think his versatility will help him. This year he is lighting it up offensively but lets not forget he was a Finalist for the Max Kaminsky Trophy (OHL dman of the year) based on his defensive play last season. He can play in different situations be that pp, pk, offensive role, shutdown & I think that will give him a good edge.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

If they are worried about having at least 3 RH defensman, he has a great shot.

HC didn't seem to obsess about that last year, as their #1 pair was two lefties (Harrington-Murray).

But if they do want 3 righties, the only lock on the right side is Hamilton. I hope they avoid the bring 5 two-way guys and bring a PP QB strategy they employed last year, Beaulieu didn't belong and his 1 assist spoke to that.

I'd prefer a roster of 7 two-way defensman, as they all play PP with their club teams (Harrington not so much, but offense isn't where we'd need his impact anyway).

This is what I think it should look like (3 righties/4 lefties):
Murray-Harrington
Hamilton-Corrado
Rielly-Dumba
Ouelette

Old
11-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

He's most likely going to have to beat out Ceci and Dumba for that 7 spot.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
He's most likely going to have to beat out Ceci and Dumba for that 7 spot.
Well I think he is clearly better in almost all facets than Ceci, so Dumba is the main competition...and its a 19 year old tournament...Dumba is eligible for next year too.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:27 PM
BIitz
BPA Free Lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
^^^^^ You left off the biggest lock from the dub, Ryan Murray

I was kind of wondering if the big ice in Russia will factor into the selections at all. If so, that should improve Corrado's chances compared to a few of the other top guys. Still a long shot to be sure. Playing with the other guaranteed lock, (Hamilton) and playing so well, should get him a camp invite hopefully.
Huge blunder on my part to forget him.

Okay I'm going to type out a realistic look at the defense. Keep in mind that Spott is the coach which almost means Murphy is guaranteed a spot. I don't like his playstyle too much, but Spott is very familiar with him. Plus at the Can-Rus Challenge he was out there every shift, ahead of Rielly and Hamilton.

Almost locks to make it
Harrington(Played last year, probably the best defensively)
Hamilton(Last year, one of the best D prospects)
Murray(What needs to be said)

Next tier
Murphy(Spott's love child, amazing talent, questionable decision making)
Rielly(Very good offensive game, but better defensively than Murphy)

Next tier
Corrado(Guaranteed to get invite to Camp)
Reinhart(My favorite D prospect. Should probably make the team because of pick position and solid D game)
Dumba(Wild card, looked decent in Can-Rus challenge. Game has been a lot better in the dub this year)
Puliot(Haven't watched much can't comment)
Pulock(Very impressive draft eligible player)
Oulette(Great 2 way defensemen, Has looked impressive every time I've seen him)

Lower tier
Percy(Outside shot, very sound defensively, and he's 19)
Koekkeok(Looked awful in the Can-Rus challenge. Should atleast get an invite. Solid 2 way guy)
Ceci(Pretty raw, outside shot)
Morrissey(Solid youngster, good season. Very small chance)

If Harrington, Murphy, Rielly, Hamilton, and Murray have the highest chance, do you think Corrado can beat out the other players in the 2 tiers?

Old
11-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

I think he can. It would be awesome to see him there, I guarantee he'd flourish with the kind of talent going. Not to mention it would be astronomical for his development.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Brendan Gaunce back from injury,and.just scored 1-0 Belleville

Old
11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbiasHockeyFan1 View Post
Brendan Gaunce back from injury,and.just scored 1-0 Belleville
Awesome news (both with respect to the comeback and the goal)

Old
11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Sucks that Gaunce probably won't even get a sniff at the WJC but he's a lock for next years team.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:07 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
After seeing Reilly play in the SSS tonight, I'm thinking he's essentially a lock for the WJ. It's only one game, but he looked really good. Corrado will be in tough to earn a spot, but if he does, it'll speak volume on how he is developing.

Regardless if Corrado makes it or not, the fact he's being discussed as making the team and at worst getting an invite to the WJ camp for a 5th round pick is pretty damn good in my books.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:28 AM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Sucks that Gaunce probably won't even get a sniff at the WJC but he's a lock for next years team.
I don't think he's a lock for next year's team. Maybe next fall he will be, but at this time there's probably a hundred guys with a shot.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:50 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I don't like that they have him playing his off side with Hamilton (two RHS).
From the few games I saw Corrado play with the Sudbury wolves this season, he played the left side at ES when paired with Sefton and together they were the 1st pairing. So it's not like he doesn't play the left side in junior at all. And he didn't look out of place there either in those games.

If I were hockey Canada, i am not moving Hamilton away from his comfort zone on the right side. He is your #1 d man, arguably depending on which Ryan Murray shows up.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I don't think he's a lock for next year's team. Maybe next fall he will be, but at this time there's probably a hundred guys with a shot.
Ya, I'd say he's anything but a lock. Canada is pretty deep at center and Gaunce isn't exactly a high calibur offensive player (not even PPG right now).

Old
11-15-2012, 10:23 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
After seeing Reilly play in the SSS tonight, I'm thinking he's essentially a lock for the WJ. It's only one game, but he looked really good. Corrado will be in tough to earn a spot, but if he does, it'll speak volume on how he is developing.

Regardless if Corrado makes it or not, the fact he's being discussed as making the team and at worst getting an invite to the WJ camp for a 5th round pick is pretty damn good in my books.
The World Jrs are in Russia on big ice. Reilly's skating is a big asset. The locks are Reilly, Murray, Reinhart, Dumba and Hamilton. Then you have 5-6 guys fighting for the remaining 2 spots. Corrado has the mobility and all round game to get in that mix IMO. The head coach is from Kitchener this year so he'll have a good idea on what Corrado can do.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
The World Jrs are in Russia on big ice. Reilly's skating is a big asset. The locks are Reilly, Murray, Reinhart, Dumba and Hamilton. Then you have 5-6 guys fighting for the remaining 2 spots. Corrado has the mobility and all round game to get in that mix IMO. The head coach is from Kitchener this year so he'll have a good idea on what Corrado can do.
I don't see any way that Reinhart is a lock. He has a remote chance at getting in — his skating is far below the level you would want for big ice. Harrington on the other hand is definitely a lock.

(I don't think either Reilly or Dumba are locks either, but that's just me. Ignoring Corrado, I could easily make a case for Ouellet over both of them.)

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-15-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
No way Rielly is not a lock, offensive abilities are off the charts.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Sens fan coming in peace.

I'm currently living in Sudbury for school and I am also a STH for the Sudbury Wolves. I've got to see a lot of Corrado up front and personal this season. While he has been playing very well, and has been the most reliable defenseman on the roster (while being paired with the biggest oaf of a hockey player -- Justin Sefton), I'd be shocked if he made the WJC roster with the given competition. I just don't see his game, right now, being as effective as someone like Dumba or Reinhart or even Pulock.

Regardless, be happy that you got Corrado with a 5th round pick. He's looking very good this season and is showing the tools needed for an NHL skillset.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:48 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Sens fan coming in peace.

I'm currently living in Sudbury for school and I am also a STH for the Sudbury Wolves. I've got to see a lot of Corrado up front and personal this season. While he has been playing very well, and has been the most reliable defenseman on the roster (while being paired with the biggest oaf of a hockey player -- Justin Sefton), I'd be shocked if he made the WJC roster with the given competition. I just don't see his game, right now, being as effective as someone like Dumba or Reinhart or even Pulock.

Regardless, be happy that you got Corrado with a 5th round pick. He's looking very good this season and is showing the tools needed for an NHL skillset.
Thanks, always appreciate people coming by with posts like this. And people with Community references in their user titles.

Let me repay you by saying that I've been out to a couple Hitmen games this year and Driedger is a beauty.

Slight subject shift: One of those games was against Red Deer. Dumba wasn't bad, but I was expecting some big hits, didn't see a single one. He must have logged at least 35 minutes. Pretty solid but unspectacular, was expecting him to stand out more.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
ZenMaster*

It doesn't make sense when people judge one player from watching him and saying that he is not in the same class as a another player without watching them

The only reason we say Corrado is not in the same class as Dumba or Reinhart is because chances are the only association we have of them is draft reports and draft highlight videos which Corrado doesn't have since he was off the radar. Dumba is a solid player but it's not like he goes out every night and scores a highlight reel goal or makes game changing plays. I bet on most nights, Corrado has been on par in play with the other well-known draftees.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
@TysonGiuriato
Nicklas Jensen has gone six games without a point, previously never went more than two games without a point. 11 PTS (8-3-11) in 21 GP now.
Bust!

Old
11-15-2012, 03:08 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Bust!
Curse you Gillis! We could have had a WHLer!

Old
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
It doesn't make sense when people judge one player from watching him and saying that he is not in the same class as a another player without watching them

The only reason we say Corrado is not in the same class as Dumba or Reinhart is because chances are the only association we have of them is draft reports and draft highlight videos which Corrado doesn't have since he was off the radar. Dumba is a solid player but it's not like he goes out every night and scores a highlight reel goal or makes game changing plays. I bet on most nights, Corrado has been on par in play with the other well-known draftees.
I'm well aware of how Dumba and Reinhart have been playing this season. You don't need to see every game to get the idea. Same thing could be said for the majority of Canucks fan who don't get to see Corrado very often. I guarantee you've seen little of Corrado this season.

Corrado is playing well, but he's not an upper-tier/elite prospect yet.

I've seen Corrado plenty and I know exactly what he brings to the table. An above-average offensive mind, and a decent two-way game. Very good breakout guy, but needs to work on decision making when under pressure.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:03 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I'm well aware of how Dumba and Reinhart have been playing this season. You don't need to see every game to get the idea. Same thing could be said for the majority of Canucks fan who don't get to see Corrado very often. I guarantee you've seen little of Corrado this season.

Corrado is playing well, but he's not an upper-tier/elite prospect yet.

I've seen Corrado plenty and I know exactly what he brings to the table. An above-average offensive mind, and a decent two-way game. Very good breakout guy, but needs to work on decision making when under pressure.
That's probably why he was a runner up for OHL Dman of the year last season, rather than the winner Hopefully, since all indications show he has improved, he'll win it this season, and we can finally claim he's "upper-tier."

Sarcasm aside, it's always nice to hear opinions from fans of other teams—thanks.

Closed Thread