HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Murray Underrated....

Old
11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
The thing is though when your watching 2 players close in skill play after 2 games your ussually like "I need to see these guys play more before I make some long ass post on hfboards", but when its Rielly and Murray, its just like looking at an ace and a jack. Im not about to say whos better between Rienhart or Dumba or Murray because its too hard to tell after just 2 games (seen them in a dub game too). But with Rielly, its just like dam ITS SO OBVIOUS
Lol. leaf fans slay me.
murray is by far better

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Pyrophorus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post

The problem is that some Leafs fans are essentially brainwashed by an overabundance of hype and exposure generated by the Toronto media. What they need to do is step outside of the Toronto media market for a less biased perspective.
Quote:
David Staples ‏@dstaples

Based on what I've seen to date I rate Morgan Rielly is a better prospect than Ryan Murray. #Leafs
Quote:
David Staples ‏ @dstaples

und ich weiß noch nicht: bin ich ein Falke, ein Sturm oder ein großer Gesang Edm. Journal columnist, blogger, author, husband, father.
Toronto you say?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
@KellyFriesen
A lot of chatter from scouts and writers on my feed that they believe Morgan Rielly has more upside than Ryan Murray from what they've seen.

Kelly Friesen
@KellyFriesen

Saying it how it is since 1990. Sports columnist for Yahoo! Sports, Yorkton This Week, and The Fourth Period Magazine. Contact: Friesenkelly@live.ca

Central Saskatchewan · http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/author/kelly-friesen/

Old
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Pyrophorus

Quote:
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634023

Consider the source, a Calgary Flames draft preview:

Rielly is the No. 2 defenceman on Central Scouting's final list, trailing only Everett Silvertips defenceman Ryan Murray.

"Had he not been hurt, he probably would have challenged [Sarnia Sting right wing Nail Yakupov] for the No. 1 ranking," Central Scouting's Peter Sullivan said of Rielly. "He's got that [Bobby] Orr-ish quality about him. He can change the game in all areas of the ice, so I'm not surprised he stayed at No. 5 simply because of how good this kid is.
I absolutely love this Toronto media brainwashing!

Old
11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
ponder

Rielly and Murray are very different players. Rielly is clearly more dynamic, talented and aggressive offensively, but he can also get manhandled physically, and isn't great in his own end. Murray seems stronger in physical battles, and is much better defensively, almost never caught out of position, but he's more solid than great with the puck. Hard to say who has more upside, but I feel confident saying that Rielly will remain better offensively, while Murray will remain better defensively. Murray plays like Suter, Rielly plays like Letang (minus the hitting).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Cool, if Rielly even becomes Karlsson lite I would take him everyday of the week at #5.

Not sure why people have to generalize about Leaf fans. Is this not a forum? Are we not speculating on prospects? Nothing is set in stone. Dude's got a right to have an opinion, I might not agree that Rielly is obviously better than Murray but I'm not going to point and laugh and say "Oh typical Leaf fans, don't know a damn thing". People like that come off as condescending d-bags.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
The thing is though when your watching 2 players close in skill play after 2 games your ussually like "I need to see these guys play more before I make some long ass post on hfboards", but when its Rielly and Murray, its just like looking at an ace and a jack. Im not about to say whos better between Rienhart or Dumba or Murray because its too hard to tell after just 2 games (seen them in a dub game too). But with Rielly, its just like dam ITS SO OBVIOUS
Sure it is. It was obvious to anyone who saw him that Gilbert Brule was an unbelievable player and budding NHL superstar as well, and that Dan Fritsche was going to be riding shotgun with him in Columbus.

But there's a funny thing that you need in the NHL. And that is the innate ability to be able to read, react, and make good decisions at top speed. The minors are littered with guys who had unreal physical talent at an early age and didn't have the mind to go with it. If there's one thing I've learned in the last few years, it's that "obvious talent" isn't a sign of surefire NHL stardom.

It's entirely possible that Rielly will become an elite NHL defenseman, and a better one than Murray. But let's not act like it's a guarantee.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Kulemon

The more I watch Murray the more I dislike his game. He plays so safe and never takes any risks. You're never gonna have a lot of success if you don't take risks.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:12 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. It depends on what kind of player you value more. Would you take Jordan Staal or Pat Kane? Would you take Ryan Suter or Kris Letang? They are different players, and they are appealing in different ways.

Murray: More likely to reach potential of a good top pairing defenseman. Does everything right; is almost perfectly sound with his decision making while playing. Won't break open a game, but he will quietly help you win.

Rielly: Less likely to be an impact player. Could be a great puck moving defenseman in the show. Has the ability to be a game breaker, but will just as likely end up as a second line, first PP guy. In no way is his game as rounded as Murray's, but his offensive ability is unrivalled.

Do you prefer a player who will blow things wide open, and create more chances offensively, while being adequate on defense, but not having shut down capabilities.. Or a player who will do a good job moving the puck, has the ability to shut down the opposition, but will not be a top offensive defenseman?

I give the edge to Murray because he is more likely to be the player described above, but if both reach their ceiling Rielly will have the greater impact on the game. As indicated by their HF ratings.. Rielly: 8.5C, and Murray: 8.0B.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
But there's a funny thing that you need in the NHL. And that is the innate ability to be able to read, react, and make good decisions at top speed.
That's what Rielly does best. It was obvious even in yesterday's game

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:23 PM
SeattleShark

vCash: 820
The thing about Murray is he plays a very NHL style offensive game in a league that doesn't necessarily reward that on the score sheet. I've never understood why people are worried about his offense when its the other kids that are going to need more of a game adjustment for the pros. When someone is in the spotlight for so long people find things to pick apart and it escalates, see sean couturier pre-draft

SeattleShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:25 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
The more I watch Murray the more I dislike his game. He plays so safe and never takes any risks. You're never gonna have a lot of success if you don't take risks.
This is simply not true. Murray takes risks, he just doesn't take unnecessary risks when he knows he's going to get caught out of position and his partner won't be able to cover for him

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Possibly a product of playing for a poor team, and knowing that if he takes a risk and it goes bad then the puck will end up in the back of his own net?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM
habsfanatics

I prefer Rielly's style, but would not bet money that he becomes a better overall player. Both are going to be good, but in different ways, however, I would of picked Rielly ahead of Murray.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:41 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
He's a stay-at-home defenseman...why would he take risks? His job is to make the defensive plays and be the stable guy on the pairing. If you're looking for your defense to chip in on a rush, usually it's the PMD who takes the risks.

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. It depends on what kind of player you value more. Would you take Jordan Staal or Pat Kane? Would you take Ryan Suter or Kris Letang? They are different players, and they are appealing in different ways.

Murray: More likely to reach potential of a good top pairing defenseman. Does everything right; is almost perfectly sound with his decision making while playing. Won't break open a game, but he will quietly help you win.

Rielly: Less likely to be an impact player. Could be a great puck moving defenseman in the show. Has the ability to be a game breaker, but will just as likely end up as a second line, first PP guy. In no way is his game as rounded as Murray's, but his offensive ability is unrivalled.

Do you prefer a player who will blow things wide open, and create more chances offensively, while being adequate on defense, but not having shut down capabilities.. Or a player who will do a good job moving the puck, has the ability to shut down the opposition, but will not be a top offensive defenseman?

I give the edge to Murray because he is more likely to be the player described above, but if both reach their ceiling Rielly will have the greater impact on the game. As indicated by their HF ratings.. Rielly: 8.5C, and Murray: 8.0B.
Bang on, imo.

It depends which type of player you prefer and/or what your NHL team needs. Murray being the steady, reliable defenseman that you can throw out for 25+ minutes a game in all situations and Rielly being the 1st pairing offensive dynamo from the back end.

However, if I were building a team from scratch, I'd choose Murray because he's the type of player that can be the anchor of your D-core for 10+ seasons.

11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
jacketsinDC

i expected to discover, after cbj drafted him, that murray was the biggest pile of dog crap that ever walked the earth. but reading these comments gives me hope.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:06 PM
BillP

how the helllll can people just flat out say one will have a better career than the other, and why? do your predictions of rielly or murray mean anything? will it impact their game in cbj and tml? watching those 2 skate is beautiful enough, never mind their work on the pp. come on, enjoy the talent and quit trying to force the issue. signed, a huge friggin leafs fan

BillP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Ryan Murray is as tough and physical as they come. He is a very emotional player that plays with great determination. His offensive skills are somewhat limited although he can chip in points when needed and has a decent scoring touch. He has very good timing in his hits and likes to agitate and play a bit dirty at times.
Are you in the wrong thread?

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:34 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Rielly and Murray are very different players. Rielly is clearly more dynamic, talented and aggressive offensively, but he can also get manhandled physically, and isn't great in his own end. Murray seems stronger in physical battles, and is much better defensively, almost never caught out of position, but he's more solid than great with the puck. Hard to say who has more upside, but I feel confident saying that Rielly will remain better offensively, while Murray will remain better defensively. Murray plays like Suter, Rielly plays like Letang (minus the hitting).
This is actually the exact comparison I came in this thread to make.

I think I like Rielly's upside a little more, but Murray is a safer bet to be effective at the NHL level.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Christ

Is it that Murray is underrated or is it that he is being overshadowed because he is not as flashy as other defensemen from the draft? I don't think I have heard anyone say that Murray will not be a good defenseman, but the excitement is understandably with the more flashy players (as is most often the case in sports). It will be several seasons at least before we will actually be able to start truely arguing who the best defenseman from this draft will be. It could very well be that neither Morgan nor Murray is the best of this bunch.

Christ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:27 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Is it that Murray is underrated or is it that he is being overshadowed because he is not as flashy as other defensemen from the draft? I don't think I have heard anyone say that Murray will not be a good defenseman, but the excitement is understandably with the more flashy players (as is most often the case in sports). It will be several seasons at least before we will actually be able to start truely arguing who the best defenseman from this draft will be. It could very well be that neither Morgan nor Murray is the best of this bunch.
Good point I think. Rielly is really fun to watch, and has been drafted by the team with the largest fanbase in the league, so of course he's going to get a tonne of attention. On the other hand, Murray has been drafted by Columbus, a team that draws minimal media interest, and his style of play, while effective, isn't particularly exciting. Pretty clear that he won't be getting a tonne of attention. That doesn't mean the majority opinion is that Rielly is a better prospect than Murray, it just means people are talking about Rielly more.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

People are starting to get upset about the attention Rielly's getting.

Quick, more polls! This must be stamped out!

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
People are starting to get upset about the attention Rielly's getting.

Quick, more polls! This must be stamped out!
I don't think anyone's upset Reilly is getting attention.

I agree that being overshadowed is a good term for Murray. He's not as good at any one part of the game compared to other dmen from the draft and he's on a team with one of the smallest fanbases. Therefore, he seems underrated. He is undoubtedly the best all around dman from the draft though and definitely the most ready, so underrated doesn't really fit

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:49 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
The top pick of D is never guaranteed to be the top D of the draft. D take longer to develop. These are 5 recent drafts on top of 2003, which I already discussed.

3. Cam Barker
29. Mike Green

3. Jack Johnson
62. Kris Letang

1. Erik Johnson
No other D in the first round has even played 35 NHL games. Absolutely horrible draft year for D.

4. Thomas Hickey
12. Ryan MacDonagh
43. P.K. Subban

2. Drew Doughty
4. Alex Pietrangelo
15. Erik Karlsson

So no one should become indignant or offended if other people don't project Murray as the top D of this draft. While he may have been the most NHL ready at the draft, I tend to agree that Rielly looks far more dynamic to me as well and could be the steal of the draft. With 8 D in the top 10, it is a higher probability that one of them will develop more than Murray than other draft years.
Omg, the D class from that draft was unreal

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote