HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riley Sheahan Arrested

Old
11-15-2012, 12:28 AM
ESunlin

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
From 17 to 24, I probably drove drunk/buzzed about 25 times.
Never came close to an accident. I was one of those guys who understood he drank too much and was uber careful.
Probably went way too slow, which is dangerous in its own right.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at my GPS trying to find something. suddenly everyone in front of me stopped while my attention was elsewhere and I had to brake like a mofo to avoid an accident.
The other day at work, I had a guy blow a .34 and appeared perfectly normal. Guess what? He wasn't. I take a million mugshots on drunks every day. 90% just look a little rough around the edges, but trust me when I say they aren't okay.

Last night, a drunk driver here hit a car and killed a 24 year old woman, a 4 year old girl, and a 2 year old girl. I sat at work and listened to dispatch, and the EMS try to save them. This accident took place in the middle of nowhere.

Riley was in the middle of a metropolitan area and blew twice the normal limit. No offense, but your argument is completely offensive. Drinking under the age limit? Fine. Everyone does it. Driving while drunk? Completely irresponsible and I see the consequences every time I come into work. There are NO excuses for it. All day long, I have no been able to get the voices of the EMTs and the pictures of these two little girls out of my head. All because an idiot thought he could drive after he had been drinking.

Explain to me how that is okay. There is not one thing you can say to validate his behavior. Honestly, I wish they could post no bond on him. He obviously hasn't learned from his mistakes, maybe sitting in a cell would give him time to think before he ruins someone's life.

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:45 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
From 17 to 24, I probably drove drunk/buzzed about 25 times.
Never came close to an accident. I was one of those guys who understood he drank too much and was uber careful.
Probably went way too slow, which is dangerous in its own right.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at my GPS trying to find something. suddenly everyone in front of me stopped while my attention was elsewhere and I had to brake like a mofo to avoid an accident.
That's lovely for you, and lucky for everyone else, that you never seriously injured or killed someone. But your personal past really doesn't matter in this situation at all. You seem to be implying that just because Sheahan was "superdrunk" doesn't mean he was dangerous because maybe he was being, how do you put it, uber careful? Well, as usual, it seems you either didn't read the posted link whatsoever, or utterly failed to comprehend what was written and how dangerous the situation was. Just to make sure we're on the same page here.....
Quote:
Sheahan, 20, was arrested and charged with driving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher and providing false information after he was stopped going the wrong way on Ottawa Avenue, near Pearl Street, shortly before midnight on Monday, Oct. 29, according to Grand Rapids Police Sgt. Allen Noles.
Can you really come on here and try to defend someone, and berate those who criticize him, who was so damn drunk that he couldn't even tell which way to go on a one-way street? Have you been to Grand Rapids at all? Driving the wrong way on a one-way street is a serious accident waiting to happen, and yes that makes him an idiot to get behind the wheel when we can't even tell something as basic as that. Should we excuse this as youthful mistakes? Frankly, I don't think so and I'd hope anyone who has a shred of concern for anyone other than themselves would be equally as irate at this as well.

Sometimes you take your contrarian acts a bit too far CB. I don't see how you can even try to defend this situation or pretend it's not something very serious.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:55 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
maybe he needs some intervention and some advice by Mac-T.......he killed someone back in 1984 while drunk...
He only got a year for that....

Guess laws have gotten much tougher since 1984.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:06 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESunlin View Post
Explain to me how that is okay. There is not one thing you can say to validate his behavior. Honestly, I wish they could post no bond on him. He obviously hasn't learned from his mistakes, maybe sitting in a cell would give him time to think before he ruins someone's life.
Just curious how are you certain he hasn't learned from this mistake? I understand being in law-enforcement you come across this and see the holes it leaves in someones lives. But isn't a huge part of what your job supposed to be about correcting people's behavior and rehabilitation into society? Don't forget the other part. The simple fact is he didn't do what happened in that accident and cannot be punished as such. If he learned from it and never does it again, isn't it better to have got a drunk driver that might never do it again before true tragedy has struck?

I understand it is a delicate situation and many lives have been ruined by this very kind of thing. But for others it can be a life changing event that makes them better people and more productive to society. Cannot only look at the bad and attach the worst possible outcomes and not look at the otherside. That is why I have trouble with how some of the reaction is going.

I am not defending the actions of drunk driving, so much as nobody is perfect and thank God the outcome wasn't worse. We have punishments in place, he will see them, if you don't like them call your congressman. I remember hearing recently that in Mississippi the second drunk driving offense gets you up to 20 years in jail and in some cases life if the BAC is extreme in both cases. That is without having to hit somebody.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 11-15-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Anchor Town

Does anyone here have a problem with his first drinking arrest?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:32 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Does anyone here have a problem with his first drinking arrest?
No, well I am sure some do. But drinking on a college campus underage isn't exactly earth shattering. Of interest in that story too, was he was one of the few that complied with police of his teammates. Kyle Palmieri (very good Anaheim prospect) and a couple other teammates ran and resisted arrest.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:44 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESunlin View Post
The other day at work, I had a guy blow a .34 and appeared perfectly normal. Guess what? He wasn't. I take a million mugshots on drunks every day. 90% just look a little rough around the edges, but trust me when I say they aren't okay.

Last night, a drunk driver here hit a car and killed a 24 year old woman, a 4 year old girl, and a 2 year old girl. I sat at work and listened to dispatch, and the EMS try to save them. This accident took place in the middle of nowhere.

Riley was in the middle of a metropolitan area and blew twice the normal limit. No offense, but your argument is completely offensive. Drinking under the age limit? Fine. Everyone does it. Driving while drunk? Completely irresponsible and I see the consequences every time I come into work. There are NO excuses for it. All day long, I have no been able to get the voices of the EMTs and the pictures of these two little girls out of my head. All because an idiot thought he could drive after he had been drinking.

Haha. Keep preaching sista.

I said Riley Sheahan should get what's coming to him legally. Drinking and Driving is NOT a good idea. It's against the law for good reason.

But thanks to years of shrill screaming by MADD and SADD, the knee jerk reaction to it is over-the-top...

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:45 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
That's lovely for you, and lucky for everyone else, that you never seriously injured or killed someone. But your personal past really doesn't matter in this situation at all. You seem to be implying that just because Sheahan was "superdrunk" doesn't mean he was dangerous because maybe he was being, how do you put it, uber careful? Well, as usual, it seems you either didn't read the posted link whatsoever, or utterly failed to comprehend what was written and how dangerous the situation was. Just to make sure we're on the same page here.....

Can you really come on here and try to defend someone, and berate those who criticize him, who was so damn drunk that he couldn't even tell which way to go on a one-way street? Have you been to Grand Rapids at all? Driving the wrong way on a one-way street is a serious accident waiting to happen, and yes that makes him an idiot to get behind the wheel when we can't even tell something as basic as that. Should we excuse this as youthful mistakes? Frankly, I don't think so and I'd hope anyone who has a shred of concern for anyone other than themselves would be equally as irate at this as well.

Sometimes you take your contrarian acts a bit too far CB. I don't see how you can even try to defend this situation or pretend it's not something very serious.
Where am I defending Riley Sheahan?
I am not defending Sheahan at all.

I am saying people's gut-reaction -- calling someone an "idiot" based on the mistakes they make, or saying they are finished as a prospect ... that's just your typical internet high-and-mighty act.

It's boring. It's thoughtless.
It's easy.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:54 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Agree with CB here.

There might be one or two, but I would really like to see the post where the people that are getting bent out of shape over this and accusing people of defending him have seen latter crowd saying he shouldn't be punished. We have a legal system people, his poor decision has landed him in front of that now. The people grandstanding and acting like he should see more than that confuse me. We live in a society with laws and where the end results of actions matter. His day in court is coming but he didn't run into that imaginary car full of other people, so stop trying to make it as though he did.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:58 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
There are actually quite a few public service announcements in MADD fashion that are trying to get people to understand texting and driving is very hazardous and can result in fatal collisions. In 39 states texting while driving is outlawed. I will never understand the thinking that because there is another activity that is similarly hazardous it makes the other less dangerous or more acceptable.

So yeah, drunk driving is totally okay because texting while driving is legal in a few backwards states.
When you want to be honest, we can converse.
But what you do is distort. So we can't.

Nowhere have I said it's "OK to drink and drive."
I have said Sheahan deserves what's coming to him, legally.

What I have a problem with is how quick people are to make moral judgments based on nothing more than the words "drinking and driving."

Few of us know anything about Riley Sheahan. But we better fire up the internet and call this 20-year-old an idiot. Even though many of us probably do stupid things that put other people's lives at risk.

So think about that the next time your phone chirps at you while driving. Or whether you should be fiddling around with your GPS or your radio while you're driving.

Some people feel like it's their moral responsibility to get on the internet and condemn someone for their mistake.

I feel like it's mile moral responsibility to condemn their condemnation

Old
11-15-2012, 04:03 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Maybe Captain Bob's view is colored a bit by the fact that he appears to have been a habitual drunk driver?
Hahaha. Way to get in a cheapshot.
Considering I drank nearly every weekend for 10 years... 25 times really isn't that much.
I know people who drove home drunk every weekend.

My philosophy as a former youngster who made mistakes is (and as someone who still makes mistakes), I try not to be to judgmental of youngsters who make mistakes.

But the church lady types gotta judge. I get that.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:09 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I did say normally. And it is a much more complicated situation considering being tired isn't something you can quantify to the degree that you can with intoxication.

Besides, it's beside the entire point. Do the dangers of any of those things negate the dangers of drunk driving?
No. They don't.

Nobody is saying drunk driving isn't dangerous.

But nobody is going to vilify someone for falling asleep at the wheel. Nobody is going to vilify someone for driving 5 over the speed limit and causing a crash. but if you're .01 over the bac limit and you cause a crash, you're an "idiot"

Old
11-15-2012, 09:04 AM
DRWCountryClub

People... Save your breath, there is absolutely no point arguing with Bob on this one.

This is a guy who compared driving drunk to going 5mph over a speed limit or driving while being sick.

You just can't argue with someone that close-minded.

Drunk driving is a criminal act and stupid, regardless if I, or anyone else has done it.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Some people feel like it's their moral responsibility to get on the internet and condemn someone for their mistake.

I feel like it's mile moral responsibility to condemn their condemnation

In an ironic way, that second sentence tends to describe you perfectly. You love to get on your high horse about topics and play the "devils advocate", which causes threads like this to spiral and turn it into you vs everyone else.

People calling Sheahan an idiot for drinking and driving isn't getting up on a high horse and them thinking it is their moral responsibility. It is them voicing their opinion about his actions on a message board (I've made plenty of mistakes where I was an idiot). And personally, I don't see anything wrong with people being upset over someone who has the means to prevent such a situation from happening and chooses to drive drunk instead, especially when a lot of people on these boards have been effected by drunk driving (myself included).

But you keep fighting the good fight, Bob. Show us how judgmental we are.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

We could be arguing about how terrible Sammy is if there was no lockout. Instead we argue about who has a higher horse.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
We could be arguing about how terrible Sammy is if there was no lockout. Instead we argue about who has a higher horse.
People in Colorado have the highest horses.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
People... Save your breath, there is absolutely no point arguing with Bob on this one.

This is a guy who compared driving drunk to going 5mph over a speed limit or driving while being sick.

You just can't argue with someone that close-minded.

Drunk driving is a criminal act and stupid, regardless if I, or anyone else has done it.
Don't forget my favorite part, where he called himself a highly aware and careful drunk driver.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Don't forget my favorite part, where he called himself a highly aware and careful drunk driver.
Hey, Benchy. It's against the rules to attack people. But if you're going to do it, do it directly at one of my posts.

I grew out of the drinking stage. I grew out of the drinking and driving stage.

My post was in response, partially, to the person who made the statement that all drunks are crazy drivers.
That's obvious BS.

Just like some drunks are happy drunks and some drunks are angry drunks. There are different drunks. People drink, often times, to do the things they don't have the guts to do when sober --- such as risky/suicidal behavior.

That's not me.

Do I understand that driving with a buzz made me a worse driver? Yes. But it didn't make me reckless. It didn't make me speed,

I was always "sober" enough to know I didn't want to do anything that drew any attention to myself. No speeding. No lane changes without a signal.

That's my point there.

The other point here is that I did that in my early 20s. I grew out of it. Riley Sheahan can do, if he wants to.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:03 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
In an ironic way, that second sentence tends to describe you perfectly. You love to get on your high horse about topics and play the "devils advocate", which causes threads like this to spiral and turn it into you vs everyone else.

People calling Sheahan an idiot for drinking and driving isn't getting up on a high horse and them thinking it is their moral responsibility. It is them voicing their opinion about his actions on a message board (I've made plenty of mistakes where I was an idiot). And personally, I don't see anything wrong with people being upset over someone who has the means to prevent such a situation from happening and chooses to drive drunk instead, especially when a lot of people on these boards have been effected by drunk driving (myself included).

But you keep fighting the good fight, Bob. Show us how judgmental we are.

I hope when Henrik Zetterberg gets ticketed for speeding 10 or 15 over, you're the first to tell us what an idiot he is.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:37 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
So yeah, drunk driving is totally okay because texting while driving is legal in a few backwards states.
No I was replying to a post that said none of those things are comparable to drunk driving, and it included texting which is complete bs and just shows how morals are coming into play here and not actual evidence.

I never once said its okay

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:42 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Agree with CB here.

There might be one or two, but I would really like to see the post where the people that are getting bent out of shape over this and accusing people of defending him have seen latter crowd saying he shouldn't be punished. We have a legal system people, his poor decision has landed him in front of that now. The people grandstanding and acting like he should see more than that confuse me. We live in a society with laws and where the end results of actions matter. His day in court is coming but he didn't run into that imaginary car full of other people, so stop trying to make it as though he did.
He will face the law, but he has to face our opinions, too. If I and others think he's scum or a moron for what he did, well that's just the way it is. I doubt it will affect him very much but we can still express that view.

Society doesn't judge people's bad behavior enough anymore, our standards have dangerously slipped. Even a drunk driver going down a street the wrong way (one of the surest ways of causing a fatal accident) is portrayed as a ****ing victim by some of the dopes on here.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:16 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
No I was replying to a post that said none of those things are comparable to drunk driving, and it included texting which is complete bs and just shows how morals are coming into play here and not actual evidence.

I never once said its okay
You don't have to so it's OK.
People here say it for you if you don't completely share their level of outrage in every sense of the way.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He will face the law, but he has to face our opinions, too. If I and others think he's scum or a moron for what he did, well that's just the way it is. I doubt it will affect him very much but we can still express that view.

Society doesn't judge people's bad behavior enough anymore, our standards have dangerously slipped. Even a drunk driver going down a street the wrong way (one of the surest ways of causing a fatal accident) is portrayed as a ****ing victim by some of the dopes on here.
1) Nobody is calling Sheahan a victim.
You're making that up.
2) You're saying he's scum. Which is a heavy judgment.
3) You're calling me a dope, even though you're ascribing things to me that I never suggested.

Clearly, this is an emotional issue for you

Old
11-15-2012, 07:31 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
To each his own Claypool.

I am very confused how so many people wind up driving the wrong way drunk. I get that driving drunk is wrong to begin with, but this aspect of the news where once a week on the local news it seems in Milwaukee someone goes the wrong way on the freeway, it seems to happen everywhere I have ever lived. I don't understand how that happens ever.
Alcohol + New to an area.

When you're young, you've spent your entire life getting bigger and stronger. It's pretty easy to feel invincible.
You take risks at 20 you don't take at 35. Partly out of intelligence. Partly because of that youthful invincibility.

Sheahan will get his punishment. Not sure how that's going to effect his immigration status -- but that could become an issue. Immigration is a lot more troublesome than it was in the days of Probert.

I hope Sheahan learns a lesson and doesn't repeat this behavior.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Miguel Cabrera gave up being a drunken idiot and won the Triple Crown and AL MVP. So come on Riley, give not being a drunken idiot a shot and see how that works out for you.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote