HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Detroit Prospect Riley Sheahan Arrested

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 07:37 PM
  #51
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I think even most Detroit fans agree that Sheahan projects as third liner. Small chance for top player, hockey IQ just isn't there, offensively.
I disagree completely. The IQ is there; he makes smart plays in the offensive zone all the time. He's just looked gun shy. He doesn't seem to KNOW that his team needs him to step up offensively.

Guru Meditation is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 07:51 PM
  #52
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
I disagree completely. The IQ is there; he makes smart plays in the offensive zone all the time. He's just looked gun shy. He doesn't seem to KNOW that his team needs him to step up offensively.
Actually he did step up since Tatar started his mini slump. I think Sheahan just had a hat trick the other day. And he and Jurco are building some nice chemistry together.

The thing with Sheahan is he isn't going to be an offensive juggernaut anytime soon. He's been programmed and groomed by the Notre Dame coach to shut down first and foremost. Now that he is in the AHL, he will work on his offense...and he has (proven by his hat trick the other day).

The kid is 20 and could easily play on Detroit's 4th line right now. Give him a three or four more years and he will be the late bloomer 2nd line powerforward that Jim Nill projects.

HTT3* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 12:13 AM
  #53
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
I can't wait to see all these stud Detroit prospects in the future. So far I've seen these comparisons:

Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom(with more physical play)
Gustav Nyquist=Pavel Datsyuk
Calle Jarnkrok=Henrik Zetterberg
Ryan Sproul=Shea Weber
Xavier Oullette=Ryan Suter
Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Riley Sheahan=Johan Franzen/Ryan Kesler (late bloomer..just wait!)
Marek Tvrdon=Marian Hossa
Tomas Jurco=Pavel Datsyuk/Marian Hossa combo
Martin Frk=Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Petr Mrazek=Dominik Hasek/Ed Belfour
Nick Jensen=Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom
Louis-Marc Aubry=Paul Gaustad/Martin Hanzal
Mitch Callahan=Chris Neil
Andreas Athanasiou=Darren Helm
Rasmus Brodin=the potential to be something we've yet to see in the NHL...best player of all time?

Wow..future looks bright. Not sure who Tomas Tatar is compared to but I'd guess a former Red Wing...Tatar is also Slovakian so he probably reminds me most of Marian Hossa, but smaller and faster and a better last name!

Imagine when Tomas McCollum finally becomes Chris Osgood and Jakub Kindl becomes Kimmo Timmonen and Jonathan Ericcson into Chris Pronger ...then this team will be really seriously good! Corey Emmerton is well on his way to being that top 6 scorer we were hoping for as well! The only bad thing is they lost future PPG player Jiri Hudler but the loss isn't as big as I pictured it being when he was a prospect...I figured he'd have multiple Hart Trophies by now.

RomersWorld* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 12:51 AM
  #54
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Wings appear to have a bright future. Why so mad?

HTT3* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 01:31 AM
  #55
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Wings appear to have a bright future. Why so mad?
I just get annoyed at how they overrate their prospects. Although if you take the 3 most bias Wings' posters and combine their bias and homer thoughts, they still wouldn't be as insane as yours are. You are THE prime offender of overrating prospects on HF but I think you already know that. I think you just overexaggerate to piss people off.

RomersWorld* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 01:40 AM
  #56
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I just get annoyed at how they overrate their prospects. Although if you take the 3 most bias Wings' posters and combine their bias and homer thoughts, they still wouldn't be as insane as yours are. You are THE prime offender of overrating prospects on HF but I think you already know that. I think you just overexaggerate to piss people off.
Seems to be working.

Generic User is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 02:21 AM
  #57
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I can't wait to see all these stud Detroit prospects in the future. So far I've seen these comparisons:

Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom(with more physical play)
Gustav Nyquist=Pavel Datsyuk
Calle Jarnkrok=Henrik Zetterberg
Ryan Sproul=Shea Weber
Xavier Oullette=Ryan Suter
Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Riley Sheahan=Johan Franzen/Ryan Kesler (late bloomer..just wait!)
Marek Tvrdon=Marian Hossa
Tomas Jurco=Pavel Datsyuk/Marian Hossa combo
Martin Frk=Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Petr Mrazek=Dominik Hasek/Ed Belfour
Nick Jensen=Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom
Louis-Marc Aubry=Paul Gaustad/Martin Hanzal
Mitch Callahan=Chris Neil
Andreas Athanasiou=Darren Helm
Rasmus Brodin=the potential to be something we've yet to see in the NHL...best player of all time?
I don't know what's more sad, the fact that you're taking some of these seriously or that you're so angry about it.

Smith = Lidstrom is foolish, although I think wherever you heard that, you took it way too literally. Whoever had said it likely meant that Smith would be the next #1 D-Man in Detroit (I still think Kronwall is good enough), and that's not really a stretch if offense first D-men like Green and Yandle and Letang can be considered such.

Nyquist is Nyquist. Again, pretty sure you're taking this way too literally. They have the same playing style, which is likely what was being referred to. Will he be as good as Datsyuk? Super safe bet that he wont be, (Like 99% of the other prospects) but you'd also be a fool to bet against him being a damn good player in the future.

Sproul as Weber is a good LOL. Pretty sure I remember that thread, and I remember everybody ripping on the guy that made that comparison.

Ouellet is developing quite well. Suter? Well, let's see how good Suter himself is without Weber. Anyways, MacKenzie has a hard on for Ouellet, and with the way he's going, he could turn out to be one of the better picks in that entire draft.

I've only ever seen Pulkkinen compared to Hull in the sense that he had the same time of booming shot. I personally think he's not going to amount to much, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Sheahan: Stop taking HTT3's posts seriously. At VERY best he could be a 2nd liner. Safer bet is 3rd/4th line guy.

Jurco and Jarnkrok were getting comparisons to Datsyuk/Hossa and Zetterberg before Detroit even drafted them.

Mrazek had the rocket of success shoved up his ass it seems. Nobody's derailed his momentum yet. I think he's got the potential to be a star goalie, but as I said in his thread a few days ago, he thrives on confidence. Confidence is a dangerous thing to be built on, because if you lose it, you could slump for a long time.

Dunno enough about the rest and haven't even ever seen those comparisons made. As I said though, I think you take them far too literally, (or just listen to the opinions of foolish people) as most were likely just more comparisons to playing styles.

EDIT: And I will say that Bodin is a famous 7th round Hakan pick that nobody ever head of and has suddenly become a name. May never hit the NHL, but Hakan does have two names that basically write his whole resume and went by nearly that exact same transcript.

Three if you count the fact that Vancouver basically picked Edler because they knew Hakan liked him.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 02:27 AM
  #58
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I just get annoyed at how they overrate their prospects. Although if you take the 3 most bias Wings' posters and combine their bias and homer thoughts, they still wouldn't be as insane as yours are. You are THE prime offender of overrating prospects on HF but I think you already know that. I think you just overexaggerate to piss people off.
Typically it's actually fans of other teams that hype up Detroit prospects just because the Wings have hit a few homeruns in the past.

Anchor Town is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
  #59
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Sheahan: Stop taking HTT3's posts seriously. At VERY best he could be a 2nd liner. Safer bet is 3rd/4th line guy.
Isn't that basically what I said? Except for the 4th line gig... Jim Nill projects him to be a "big scorer", (not my words, Jim Nill's words - read below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Give him a three or four more years and he will be the late bloomer 2nd line powerforward that Jim Nill projects.
And I'm not saying this because I am a homer, I am saying this because that is his ACTUAL projected ceiling was said by Jim Nill and HF rankings.

Read the sources below:

Quote:
“I don’t like to make comparisons with young players. It’s not really fair to them. But he does remind me of Johan Franzen. He’s got a big, thick body. He’s been a big scorer. That’s what we project him to be.” — Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill
Source: http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/riley-sheahan/

And here is HF's projection:

Quote:
Sheahan has all the skills necessary to be a power forward type player. He possesses excellent shooting and playmaking ability. His large frame allows him to hold onto the puck for extended periods of time. Is an all-around excellent prospect, showing himself to be more than capable of playing defensive hockey as well.

Projects to be a second or third line center in the NHL. Will compete for a roster spot with the Red Wings in training camp, but will likely end up playing his first full AHL season in 2012-13.
Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/riley_sheahan/

So.... don't listen to me, I'm hyping him up


Last edited by HTT3*: 11-15-2012 at 10:41 AM.
HTT3* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
  #60
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Isn't that basically what I said? Except for the 4th line gig... Jim Nill projects him to be a "big scorer", (not my words, Jim Nill's words - read below).



And I'm not saying this because I am a homer, I am saying this because that is his ACTUAL projected ceiling was said by Jim Nill and HF rankings.

Read the sources below:



Source: http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/riley-sheahan/

And here is HF's projection:



Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/riley_sheahan/

So.... don't listen to me, I'm hyping him up
You need to understand the difference between ceiling projections and likely projections, as well as the fact that you said "will be". Not maybe, not could be. Will be. It's not a guarantee, and as a matter of fact it's not even likely.

What is likely is that if he doesn't get his act together Holland will have him out of town just like Sean Avery was.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
  #61
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
You need to understand the difference between ceiling projections and likely projections, as well as the fact that you said "will be". Not maybe, not could be. Will be. It's not a guarantee, and as a matter of fact it's not even likely.

What is likely is that if he doesn't get his act together Holland will have him out of town just like Sean Avery was.
No I don't, I am only echoing what one of the most respected hockey minds in the world had stated. Johan Franzen type player, big time goal scorer.

Jim Nill didn't say that was ceiling. If I remember correctly, Jim Nill said Datsyuk will be a nice 2nd line play maker... now he's one of the best (if not the best) centers in the world...

So Datsyuk's ceiling was a 2nd line center, but now he's one of the best all-star centers we've ever watched play the game... Proves ceiling and projection are meaningless.

If Franzen can become a first line scoring winger, then no doubt Sheahan's ceiling can become a first line powerforward... But I am with HF and Jim Nill, Sheahan will be a 2nd line scoring (2-way) powerforward.

And if Holland ships Sheahan out, he may as well pack B. Smith up with him, because Smith also has drinking issues under his belt.... You want Holland to firesale off any prospect that got in trouble for drinking?

Sheahan and Avery are two completely different beasts. Comparing the two is like comparing Hitler to Bush. One is a complete AZZHOLE, the other is a MORON.

EDIT: Didn't Holland offer Fedorov another contract AFTER he got his DUI??? Just sayin'

HTT3* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
  #62
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,230
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I can't wait to see all these stud Detroit prospects in the future. So far I've seen these comparisons:

Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom(with more physical play)
Gustav Nyquist=Pavel Datsyuk
Calle Jarnkrok=Henrik Zetterberg
Ryan Sproul=Shea Weber
Xavier Oullette=Ryan Suter
Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Riley Sheahan=Johan Franzen/Ryan Kesler (late bloomer..just wait!)
Marek Tvrdon=Marian Hossa
Tomas Jurco=Pavel Datsyuk/Marian Hossa combo
Martin Frk=Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Petr Mrazek=Dominik Hasek/Ed Belfour
Nick Jensen=Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom
Louis-Marc Aubry=Paul Gaustad/Martin Hanzal
Mitch Callahan=Chris Neil
Andreas Athanasiou=Darren Helm
Rasmus Brodin=the potential to be something we've yet to see in the NHL...best player of all time?

Wow..future looks bright. Not sure who Tomas Tatar is compared to but I'd guess a former Red Wing...Tatar is also Slovakian so he probably reminds me most of Marian Hossa, but smaller and faster and a better last name!

Imagine when Tomas McCollum finally becomes Chris Osgood and Jakub Kindl becomes Kimmo Timmonen and Jonathan Ericcson into Chris Pronger ...then this team will be really seriously good! Corey Emmerton is well on his way to being that top 6 scorer we were hoping for as well! The only bad thing is they lost future PPG player Jiri Hudler but the loss isn't as big as I pictured it being when he was a prospect...I figured he'd have multiple Hart Trophies by now.
I love it when uneducated people mistake STYLE for career potential.

If Smith plays like a guy like Brent Burns, that doesnt mean he's going to have a career like Burns it means he plays a similar style. For the record, most of those comparisons are about as asinine as they get. Kindl plays nothing like Timonen, Ericsson nothing like Pronger and Tatar is no where even close to resembling Hossa.

It's ok, your new at this.

zetterberg40 is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:25 AM
  #63
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Jim Nill didn't say that was ceiling. If I remember correctly, Jim Nill said Datsyuk will be a nice 2nd line play maker... now he's one of the best (if not the best) centers in the world...
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
And I'm not saying this because I am a homer, I am saying this because that is his ACTUAL projected ceiling was said by Jim Nill and HF rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
So Datsyuk's ceiling was a 2nd line center, but now he's one of the best all-star centers we've ever watched play the game... Proves ceiling and projection are meaningless.

If Franzen can become a first line scoring winger, then no doubt Sheahan's ceiling can become a first line powerforward... But I am with HF and Jim Nill, Sheahan will be a 2nd line scoring (2-way) powerforward.
You're clearly not following what is being said here, I never said Sheahan couldn't be a big player. Sure, he could be the best player ever. And now I revert back to what I said earlier, you didn't say "could be" and you didn't say "might be", you said "will be". Those were YOUR words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
And if Holland ships Sheahan out, he may as well pack B. Smith up with him, because Smith also has drinking issues under his belt.... You want Holland to firesale off any prospect that got in trouble for drinking?
Smith has only had one incident, and I've said from the start of the thread that if he doesn't get his act together he would and should be. In other words if it becomes a recurring problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Sheahan and Avery are two completely different beasts. Comparing the two is like comparing Hitler to Bush. One is a complete AZZHOLE, the other is a MORON.
Avery wasn't traded because he was an *******, he was traded because he got drunk and trashed Chelios' house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
EDIT: Didn't Holland offer Fedorov another contract AFTER he got his DUI??? Just sayin'
1. Going back to that reoccurring problem thing...

2. Sergei Fedorov vs. Riley Sheahan, let me think about that one.


Last edited by slocal: 11-15-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: personal
Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:46 AM
  #64
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom(with more physical play)
Gustav Nyquist=Pavel Datsyuk
Calle Jarnkrok=Henrik Zetterberg
Ryan Sproul=Shea Weber
Xavier Oullette=Ryan Suter
Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Riley Sheahan=Johan Franzen/Ryan Kesler (late bloomer..just wait!)
Marek Tvrdon=Marian Hossa
Tomas Jurco=Pavel Datsyuk/Marian Hossa combo
Martin Frk=Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Petr Mrazek=Dominik Hasek/Ed Belfour
Nick Jensen=Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom
Louis-Marc Aubry=Paul Gaustad/Martin Hanzal
Mitch Callahan=Chris Neil
Andreas Athanasiou=Darren Helm
Rasmus Brodin=the potential to be something we've yet to see in the NHL...best player of all time?

Wow..future looks bright. Not sure who Tomas Tatar is compared to but I'd guess a former Red Wing...Tatar is also Slovakian so he probably reminds me most of Marian Hossa, but smaller and faster and a better last name!
  • Smith isn't even a similar player to Lidstrom. That's a really weird comment.
  • Nyquist plays LIKE Datsyuk was the comment. That is, you can see elements of Datsyuk's style in Nyquist's play. I wonder if it has anything to do with Nyquist wearing #13 this year in Grand Rapids too. But Nyquist will be by no means as good a player at Datsyuk. Maybe not half the player.
  • Jarnkrok, again, plays LIKE Zetterberg. He's going to be a good player, but nowhere near the overall player Zetterberg has become.
  • Sproul plays LIKE Weber. Sort of. Minus the crazy physical game.
  • Ouellet doesn't really play like Suter, but I don't think a Wings fan made that comment.
  • I don't think Pulkkinen will make the NHL.
  • The Sheahan/Franzen comparison came straight from Jim Nill, who I trust more about scouting and development than anybody on these forums.
  • Tvrdon/Jurco: jury's out on these two, but I don't think either is all that close to Hossa in playstyle.
  • Frk must be like Brett Hull minus the shot, but plus roids. His tendency for taking bad penalties is amusing and ridiculous.
  • Mrazek is going to be a great goalie. The best goalie of all time? I doubt it.
  • Aubry IMO could easily become a Gaustad type player. He's such a later bloomer it's ridiculous. If we went by physical maturity, his draft year would have been like... last year.
  • Jensen has really intriguing potential. I don't think it's fair to dismiss him as not having Smith potential. Of course, neither player will be anything like Lidstrom.

Mostly you lumped together "plays like" with "will be like." Of course, I think it was an intentional straw man. Very funny.

Guru Meditation is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
  #65
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I just get annoyed at how they overrate their prospects. Although if you take the 3 most bias Wings' posters and combine their bias and homer thoughts, they still wouldn't be as insane as yours are. You are THE prime offender of overrating prospects on HF but I think you already know that. I think you just overexaggerate to piss people off.
This thread is about Riley Sheahan being arrested, not about you being a Chicago Blackhawk fan that has to has to go into Detroit centric threads posting stuff that no one cares about. Save that **** for NJD/NYR/NYI fans.

Anyways, it's slightly strange that Sheahan of all prospects is doing stuff like this. He's supposed to have great character in the locker room and on the ice and IIRC gave one of the better interviews among his draft class. Being a Detroit prospect I suspect he will learn fairly quickly that he will be apart of another organization if he doesn't change. At least he's not Russian

Moskau is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
  #66
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Hmm...
I provided the souce(s). If you refuse to accept that then I don't know what to tell you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
You're clearly not following what is being said here, I never said Sheahan couldn't be a big player. Sure, he could be the best player ever. And now I revert back to what I said earlier, you didn't say "could be" and you didn't say "might be", you said "will be". Those were YOUR words.
B. Smith 'may' play another game in the NHL one day. Datsyuk 'might' come back to the states after the lockout. Crosby 'may' score another NHL goal someday. The world 'might' explode tomorrow.

Better?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Again, your reading skills suck. Smith has only had one incident, and I've said from the start of the thread that if he doesn't get his act together he would and should be. In other words if it becomes a recurring problem.
perhaps someday Smith "may" get drunk again and do something stupid. Maybe, might, could....

Maybe Sheahan becomes a drunk and loses his hair and forgets how to speak english language...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Avery wasn't traded because he was an *******, he was traded because he got drunk and trashed Chelios' house.
Trashing someone's house isn't an ******* thing to do??? Lol
Chelios has a drinking problem too, wonder why he's in the front office? Jeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
1. Going back to that reoccurring problem thing...

2. Sergei Fedorov vs. Riley Sheahan, let me think about that one.
Because Fedorov is a better drunk driver?


Last edited by slocal: 11-15-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: stop the name-calling
HTT3* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
  #67
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
So Datsyuk's ceiling was a 2nd line center, but now he's one of the best all-star centers we've ever watched play the game... Proves ceiling and projection are meaningless.
No it does not. You're using exceptions to argue against the normalities.

The word ceiling/potential is of course greatley misused/interupted incorrectly on these boards. People always assume a player has more potential than he has, but prefix it with saying "But that is unlikely".

Projections are not meaningless. It is what scouting is based upon. Scouting isn't an exact science, and projections can be exceeded and vica versa. Of course this doesn't mean we should not project, or that some people have the ability to project abilities better than others.

Of course the notion that projections and ceilings are meaningless is not only nonsense, but also inherently contradicts your premise/ideas in this thread. If projections are meaningless, why are you projecting this player, and why do you care that other people have lower perceptions of this player than you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
If Franzen can become a first line scoring winger, then no doubt Sheahan's ceiling can become a first line powerforward... But I am with HF and Jim Nill, Sheahan will be a 2nd line scoring (2-way) powerforward.
None of your "analysis" seems to be based on the actual player, or rather, you've formed an opinion based on some text created two years ago. You're also trying to project someones abilities/development arc based on another player and the development arc/perceptions they had. This is a pretty crude, basic and irrational way of looking at things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
And if Holland ships Sheahan out, he may as well pack B. Smith up with him, because Smith also has drinking issues under his belt.... You want Holland to firesale off any prospect that got in trouble for drinking?
Who knows how events pertaining to this event, and other drinking issues, will unfold, but there is a different in severity here. DUI should be looked upon as much more serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Sheahan and Avery are two completely different beasts. Comparing the two is like comparing Hitler to Bush. One is a complete AZZHOLE, the other is a MORON.
Your anaology fails on quite a few levels. But no need to delve into it. Of course, assuming Avery is the "hole", then how is Sheahan being a moron a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
EDIT: Didn't Holland offer Fedorov another contract AFTER he got his DUI??? Just sayin'
The situations will be different. Age, situation, personality, value etc will all vary. I am not saying Sheahan doesn't have a long future with the Wings, but using what happened to Fedorov years ago has no relevance on the ensuing events today.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 04:46 PM
  #68
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with the drinking - in Canada, he would be legal. DUI, though, is a big no-no. Even if some kids are dumb enough to drink and drive, it's not a reason to forbid anyone under 21 from drinking. That's just stupid.
You can goto Iraq or Afghanistan and kill people for money but have to wait 3 more years to be able to drink...makes sense


Edit: Not calling soldiers killers just using the most extreme part of that job to make a point

Jamin is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 04:54 PM
  #69
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I just get annoyed at how they overrate their prospects. Although if you take the 3 most bias Wings' posters and combine their bias and homer thoughts, they still wouldn't be as insane as yours are. You are THE prime offender of overrating prospects on HF but I think you already know that. I think you just overexaggerate to piss people off.
Hard to argue with results. You don't have to hit pay dirt with them all but Detroit has managed to find some diamonds later in the draft. Haven't done so lately that I've seen and on paper they're going to need it when I look at the roster.

They're an interesting team to follow since I always expect some kind of fall from grace but it doesn't happen. Even this year I'm thinking.. no Lidstrom. Dats and Zetts getting older. Look at that defence. This is the year they finally fall out of the elite team category!

Perhaps they hit swedish paydirt again haha. Anyways I like Detroit as they're an interesting team to follow from a 3rd party perspective.

It's like I'm opening the door going "Hahah no playoffs!"... "Doh"

Some day they may join my team in the dumpsters.. eat some day old doughnuts for once.

Lacaar is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 05:00 PM
  #70
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
No it does not. You're using exceptions to argue against the normalities.

The word ceiling/potential is of course greatley misused/interupted incorrectly on these boards. People always assume a player has more potential than he has, but prefix it with saying "But that is unlikely".

Projections are not meaningless. It is what scouting is based upon. Scouting isn't an exact science, and projections can be exceeded and vica versa. Of course this doesn't mean we should not project, or that some people have the ability to project abilities better than others.
Don't kill the messenger, I am only posting articles about this prospect and what one of the most intelligent hockey minds in the world had to say about this particular player. No need to get all mad and defensive about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Of course the notion that projections and ceilings are meaningless is not only nonsense, but also inherently contradicts your premise/ideas in this thread. If projections are meaningless, why are you projecting this player, and why do you care that other people have lower perceptions of this player than you do?
Not my projections, sport. I posted the sources that predict his projections. It's not my fault you don't agree with them no matter how ignorant you may be about said player. Don't let facts get in your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
None of your "analysis" seems to be based on the actual player, or rather, you've formed an opinion based on some text created two years ago. You're also trying to project someones abilities/development arc based on another player and the development arc/perceptions they had. This is a pretty crude, basic and irrational way of looking at things.
Not my analysis, sport. I am the messenger. Hard for you, some random hockey internet poster with no credentials, to bet against Mr. Nill himself. But hey, go for it. Just don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Who knows how events pertaining to this event, and other drinking issues, will unfold, but there is a different in severity here. DUI should be looked upon as much more serious.
Right same as Chelios and Fedorov... Funny thing is Holland hired Chelios soon after his DUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Your anaology fails on quite a few levels. But no need to delve into it. Of course, assuming Avery is the "hole", then how is Sheahan being a moron a good thing?
DUI is bad, real bad. I have some. But I don't go around trashing peoples houses, I dont call the local news station to tell people where my "sloppy seconds" are. I don't stand in front of the goalie and face him and waive my hands in his face...

Avery was shipped out because he has mental issues and character issues. Sheahan has a drinking problem that can be resolved. In Avery's case, there are no pills that can fix stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The situations will be different. Age, situation, personality, value etc will all vary. I am not saying Sheahan doesn't have a long future with the Wings, but using what happened to Fedorov years ago has no relevance on the ensuing events today.
Holland set the standards with Fedorov. Then while Chelios is playing in the AHL for Rockford (I think it was rockford) he gets popped with a DUI. Shortly after Holland hires him in the front office.

It's relevent no matter how deep you stick for fingers in your ears and scream "La, La, La, La, La" as loud as you can. Do you think Sheahan will be the first one shipped out of Hockeytown? Do you really believe that??????

HTT3* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
  #71
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I just get annoyed at how they overrate their prospects.
21 straight years of playoffs using a mostly drafted roster tends to have that effect, not every team has to tank for the Kanes and Toews to stay relevant.


I get accused of overrating wings prospects a lot. Like last year when I said I like Nyquist more than Colbourne or Kadri, back then it was OMG theyre overrated. Now I dont think many would take one of them over Nyquist.

As for someone saying Smith only had one incident, thats not true at all. Smith at Wisco had a DUI and was suspended from his team for a bit. Than the day after signing his first pro contract he got into a fight at a house party that had the cops called.

newfy is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 06:34 PM
  #72
Rzombo4 prez
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
21 straight years of playoffs using a mostly drafted roster tends to have that effect, not every team has to tank for the Kanes and Toews to stay relevant.


I get accused of overrating wings prospects a lot. Like last year when I said I like Nyquist more than Colbourne or Kadri, back then it was OMG theyre overrated. Now I dont think many would take one of them over Nyquist.

As for someone saying Smith only had one incident, thats not true at all. Smith at Wisco had a DUI and was suspended from his team for a bit. Than the day after signing his first pro contract he got into a fight at a house party that had the cops called.
Was that the great moped incident of 2008? All is not lost for Riley, but he needs to get his head on straight and show much better judgment going forward.

Rzombo4 prez is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
  #73
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,376
vCash: 500
Chill with the personal attacks. Stick to the topic at hand, please.

__________________

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 09:05 PM
  #74
ottawa
go habs go
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,654
vCash: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I can't wait to see all these stud Detroit prospects in the future. So far I've seen these comparisons:

Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom(with more physical play)
Gustav Nyquist=Pavel Datsyuk
Calle Jarnkrok=Henrik Zetterberg
Ryan Sproul=Shea Weber
Xavier Oullette=Ryan Suter
Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Riley Sheahan=Johan Franzen/Ryan Kesler (late bloomer..just wait!)
Marek Tvrdon=Marian Hossa
Tomas Jurco=Pavel Datsyuk/Marian Hossa combo
Martin Frk=Teemu Pulkkinen=Brett Hull
Petr Mrazek=Dominik Hasek/Ed Belfour
Nick Jensen=Brendan Smith=Nicklas Lidstrom
Louis-Marc Aubry=Paul Gaustad/Martin Hanzal
Mitch Callahan=Chris Neil
Andreas Athanasiou=Darren Helm
Rasmus Brodin=the potential to be something we've yet to see in the NHL...best player of all time?

Wow..future looks bright. Not sure who Tomas Tatar is compared to but I'd guess a former Red Wing...Tatar is also Slovakian so he probably reminds me most of Marian Hossa, but smaller and faster and a better last name!

Imagine when Tomas McCollum finally becomes Chris Osgood and Jakub Kindl becomes Kimmo Timmonen and Jonathan Ericcson into Chris Pronger ...then this team will be really seriously good! Corey Emmerton is well on his way to being that top 6 scorer we were hoping for as well! The only bad thing is they lost future PPG player Jiri Hudler but the loss isn't as big as I pictured it being when he was a prospect...I figured he'd have multiple Hart Trophies by now.

Wow, this has to be the most epic fail post I've ever seen

There's a 99% chance they weren't saying that's who they'll end up becoming once they reach their potential...that's just who their playing style takes after.


As for the topic on hand, isn't this the 2nd detroit prospect that's gotten in trouble with the law recently? I hope this is a good lesson for the kid and any other prospect. Why risk your life and someone else, take a cab or hitch a ride with a buddy.

ottawa is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 10:24 PM
  #75
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,827
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Wow, this has to be the most epic fail post I've ever seen

There's a 99% chance they weren't saying that's who they'll end up becoming once they reach their potential...that's just who their playing style takes after.


As for the topic on hand, isn't this the 2nd detroit prospect that's gotten in trouble with the law recently? I hope this is a good lesson for the kid and any other prospect. Why risk your life and someone else, take a cab or hitch a ride with a buddy.
Depends on your definition of recently. Unless I have blanked on something Smith is the last one to get in trouble. That as a while ago now. They did have a prospect die and some people thought given the time of night and what Rufenach was doing that maybe something like alcohol was involved. But I have never seen that confirmed. He was electrocuted, we have never heard more than that in the follow up interviews.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.