HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens Lounge LI - GB loving - #ForTheBoys - Mod: Drunk/Blacked-Out Brit Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
I have nothing to add to any conversations going on.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Smeddy
For You

vCash: 177
Basically, my plan is to become a high school English/History teacher. I know it can/probably will change, but for the last two or so years, that's definitely the (realistic) career I see myself doing the best/enjoying the most.

I've been looking mostly at Carleton History/English/Poli Sci programs. Can't decide if the extra year for honours is worth it, especially since I'd be doing an extra year for teachers college.

Just recently I've been looking at some Universities away from home that offer conccurent programs (BEd + BA together in 4 years). IE Laurentian!

But really I have zero idea.

Any advice as most of you have gone though this would be appreciated.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:16 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
If you want to teach English wouldn't it make more sense to study English, instead of poli-sci?

However Poli-Sci would be a billion times better than studying as an apprentice under GK.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Smeddy
For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
If you want to teach English wouldn't it make more sense to study English, instead of poli-sci?

However Poli-Sci would be a billion times better than studying as an apprentice under GK.
It is one of the subjects I'd like to teach. Not necessarily THE subject.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:40 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
Just recently I've been looking at some Universities away from home that offer conccurent programs (BEd + BA together in 4 years). IE Laurentian!
Woo!

Old
11-15-2012, 07:01 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Basically, my plan is to become a high school English/History teacher. I know it can/probably will change, but for the last two or so years, that's definitely the (realistic) career I see myself doing the best/enjoying the most.

I've been looking mostly at Carleton History/English/Poli Sci programs. Can't decide if the extra year for honours is worth it, especially since I'd be doing an extra year for teachers college.

But really I have zero idea.

Any advice as most of you have gone though this would be appreciated.
Take the general, do a year, but make sure your first year includes all the prerequisites for an English or Poli Sci honours degree. If you find you enjoy the academic work/the content or courses offered by one of the honours degrees, pursue it. If not, go the three-year plan and go right into Teacher's College.

Alternatively, enroll in an honours program. If you don't like it, switch down to a general degree. I think either way, you shouldn't have too much of a problem switching your program, considering the requirements for an Arts program generally aren't going to be ultra-competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Most Poli Sci degrees require some English courses.

Even after that, he'll have electives to pursue other interests (like English), or if he really wanted, he could minor or do a double major.

I would just point out that an English program is very heavy on reading. Some of my friends have to go through a novel a week for their courses.

11-15-2012, 07:16 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
i surprised myself by growing a handlebar mustache for Movember

Old
11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Smeddy
For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Take the general, do a year, but make sure your first year includes all the prerequisites for an English or Poli Sci honours degree. If you find you enjoy the academic work/the content or courses offered by one of the honours degrees, pursue it. If not, go the three-year plan and go right into Teacher's College.

Alternatively, enroll in an honours program. If you don't like it, switch down to a general degree. I think either way, you shouldn't have too much of a problem switching your program, considering the requirements for an Arts program generally aren't going to be ultra-competitive.

Most Poli Sci degrees require some English courses.

Even after that, he'll have electives to pursue other interests (like English), or if he really wanted, he could minor or do a double major.

I would just point out that an English program is very heavy on reading. Some of my friends have to go through a novel a week for their courses.
Thank you. Very good information

Old
11-15-2012, 08:48 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
I have this unbelievably bad habit of doing my essays the night before at 10:00 pm at the earliest. I have a paper for English due tomorrow and I CAN NOT start unless it's 10:00 pm. Now, it doesn't give me as much time to edit and fix and what-not but I won't work any other time. I've done it so far for my other 2 previous papers so far. 12 am start and 2am start. Got C+ on both but that's not the point.

Has anyone else felt like this? Any tips? I can't keep this up especially when I'll have multiple papers due(Next week I got 2 backtoback haven't even started )

Old
11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I have this unbelievably bad habit of doing my essays the night before at 10:00 pm at the earliest. I have a paper for English due tomorrow and I CAN NOT start unless it's 10:00 pm. Now, it doesn't give me as much time to edit and fix and what-not but I won't work any other time. I've done it so far for my other 2 previous papers so far. 12 am start and 2am start. Got C+ on both but that's not the point.

Has anyone else felt like this? Any tips? I can't keep this up especially when I'll have multiple papers due(Next week I got 2 backtoback haven't even started )
I have 5 huge papers to write and an hour presentation all due before December 10th. Haven't started any of them. I usually start the day before (although not at midnight).

Old
11-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Smeddy
For You

Quote:

I have the same problem, except I end up getting high 80s/low 90s which does nothing for my motivation.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:59 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

Quote:

I had a 10 pager due today at 2:30p. I started it basically this morning at 8:00a and couldn't stay focused on it.

Now, I'm not usually this bad at procrastinating. I'll usually start at 7:00p the night before and pull an all-nighter to get it done, but this time I especially couldn't motivate myself because the prof basically blasted my topic a week ago in lecture.

Needless to say, the 3500 word paper ended up being 2800, with barely anything for a conclusion. It was not my best effort.

On that note, I find that there's two ways to get myself to not procrastinate.

1. Just do it. Stop thinking about how ****** it'll be doing it now or how much you'd rather do something else. Just chip away at it a little bit at a time in advance. Maybe research an article on one day, write the intro paragraph a day or two later. As long as you get into a routine of doing a little bit every day or every other day, you're set. It's like trying to go from never working out to regularly working out. You gotta persevere to break the routine of procrastinating.

2. Backlog of assignments. This happened to me in first semester, first year. I had all of my essays due the same week. I think it was something like 36 pages in total. I planned to start them a week in advance, doing 3-4 pages a night to get it all done with time to spare. Ended up procrastinating the first few nights, forcing myself to do essentially 5 pages a night for a solid week to get them all done. First essay was done I think two days in advance. My last essay was finished 20 minutes before it was due. Basically, it's an easy way to force you to work in advance.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, you aren't the only student who procrastinates, so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

Quote:
I have the same problem, except I end up getting high 80s/low 90s which does nothing for my motivation.
High school you can get away with it pretty easily. You'll acclimatize to starting a little earlier and putting more time and effort into your assignments as you progress through university.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Speaking of procrastination, I have this paper due at midnight tomorrow. Haven't started it yet. There also is supposed to be a healthy amount of people coming over tomorrow for drinks. So basically, I have until like 7 to get it done.

11-15-2012, 11:36 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

I was a big procrastinater

Just couldn't motivate myself

Old
11-16-2012, 12:13 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

I love how the topic is procrastination when I'm sitting here in a study room, cramming for my accounting mid-term on Saturday and I haven't been to an accounting class for 2 months.

Whoops.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:53 AM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I love how the topic is procrastination when I'm sitting here in a study room, cramming for my accounting mid-term on Saturday and I haven't been to an accounting class for 2 months.

Whoops.
Skipping is another problem for a lot of students.

Gotta pick the classes you skip wisely. My rules: don't (or try not to) skip if attendance is taken, and make sure you attend the first two lectures for any class to make sure the lectures are posted in their entirety online.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Smeddy, I know Laurentian's Con-Ed program is very highly regarded, tons of people on my floor are taking it and came here because it's unique.

Realistically you probably won't come here, but I'm honestly loving it here and think you would too. So if you ever are legitimately thinking of going here (which again sounds unlikely), know that I can positively vouch for the school.

But if the deciding factor is cafeteria's, go to Carleton.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

I attend all my classes except I usually miss one every two weeks in a class where there is no attendance and the material does not help.

Unfortunately this week I've missed my Sports Admin class for the first time ever

Old
11-16-2012, 12:56 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
I have 5 huge papers to write and an hour presentation all due before December 10th. Haven't started any of them. I usually start the day before (although not at midnight).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I had a 10 pager due today at 2:30p. I started it basically this morning at 8:00a and couldn't stay focused on it.

Now, I'm not usually this bad at procrastinating. I'll usually start at 7:00p the night before and pull an all-nighter to get it done, but this time I especially couldn't motivate myself because the prof basically blasted my topic a week ago in lecture.

Needless to say, the 3500 word paper ended up being 2800, with barely anything for a conclusion. It was not my best effort.

On that note, I find that there's two ways to get myself to not procrastinate.

1. Just do it. Stop thinking about how ****** it'll be doing it now or how much you'd rather do something else. Just chip away at it a little bit at a time in advance. Maybe research an article on one day, write the intro paragraph a day or two later. As long as you get into a routine of doing a little bit every day or every other day, you're set. It's like trying to go from never working out to regularly working out. You gotta persevere to break the routine of procrastinating.

2. Backlog of assignments. This happened to me in first semester, first year. I had all of my essays due the same week. I think it was something like 36 pages in total. I planned to start them a week in advance, doing 3-4 pages a night to get it all done with time to spare. Ended up procrastinating the first few nights, forcing myself to do essentially 5 pages a night for a solid week to get them all done. First essay was done I think two days in advance. My last essay was finished 20 minutes before it was due. Basically, it's an easy way to force you to work in advance.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, you aren't the only student who procrastinates, so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself.
Haha, wow. I never knew I was the only one like this. God damn, really eased me off. And thank you CH, that was all very, very helpful.

Quote:
Those high-school days are over for me, bro I'm trying to get into the vibe of expectations so I can at least get B's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post

Whoops.
Goodluck, bud!

Old
11-16-2012, 12:57 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

I hope when I finish my program I can get a job with sportsnet, and work with the team that does Sens broadcasts

Old
11-16-2012, 12:57 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

On a better note, done 400 words so far and I really think I'm gonna get my first B paper, LOL.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

I've studied 11 hours now in the last 3 days for my accounting midterm, and feel somewhat confident. Hoping tomorrow everything will tie together. Gaining momentum!!

Old
11-16-2012, 01:03 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I've studied 11 hours now in the last 3 days for my accounting midterm, and feel somewhat confident. Hoping tomorrow everything will tie together. Gaining momentum!!
I'm sorry in advance if I disturb you when I come in at 6 AM or later. I'm seriously staying here late to get most of this out of the way. I'm not looking forward to finals time.

And Smeddy, just make sure you look at all of your options and make the decision that is best for you. If it happens to be Laurentian, then awesome.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:08 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...ed-share-video

Closed Thread