HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I'm no baseball buff

I would say the Phaneuf deal(a 7 player trade) in a salary cap league is probably close to as impressive as the one pulled of by the Jays few days ago.

Just me tho.
i sure hope the jays' big trade has more of a positive impact on the team than the phaneuf trade has had on the leafs.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
i sure hope the jays' big trade has more of a positive impact on the team than the phaneuf trade has had on the leafs.
I think Phaneuf has been fine. He plays 25+ minutes a night against the other teams best players, And should get 40+ points a year.

I don't blame him for the goaltending problems we've had.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
I personally have always liked Ray's hockey mind and respect it very much. So I always like listening to him on the radio and like reading his player reviews.

Now is the time where Burke's first draft picks can slowly start making an impact on a professional level, and we're starting to see some very serviceable players developing.

I am sure that Ross, Broll and Biggs will all be competent NHL'ers in some capacity due to their roles that they could play. All are "safe" picks in terms of being NHL'ers at some point.

Morgan Rielly wasn't exactly whom I was targeting at that 5th pick, but I will be the first to admit I didn't even pay attention to him in that slot because of his injury plagued draft season.

I think it is safe to assume that Morgan has all the potential to be a Top 2 defender on our team, or any team in this league.

He would be a nice compliment to slide along side Dion, or even someone like Finn if/when he develops.

A defensive core of Dion Phaneuf, Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner really is going to be the staple of this franchise. That is not even mentioning the potentials of Finn, Percy, Blacker, Holzer and others waiting in the wings.

I have always liked Burke, I have always been a Burke supporter!

Burke realizes what AA has done for this city, and he truly wants to make a similar move in terms of impact and hype when this season gets underway.

Could be interesting.
I've been saying it for a while and I am saying it again, we don't have shiny toys or prospects as many other organizations do but we are getting there. We have depth and respectable pieces in each corner and core, so when Burke is able to change that for our organizational need, like we did so with schenn and jvr swap, people will respect him. However with the records and marks that the team has had in the standings it will take him while to gain that for sure.

I think after the lockout will will definitely see moves and players who we think are untouchable for players that are about to breakout and can't handle a situation in another city. Aka Kadri or Grabovski, just throwing out names don't crucify me.

11-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I think Phaneuf has been fine. He plays 25+ minutes a night against the other teams best players, And should get 40+ points a year.

No one should blame Phaneuf IMO. He's been a solid guy for our team even though we were playing a run and gun game. With the change carlyle brings I think we should be fine now.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
guyzeur

Sens fan here,

You guys have a stud.

Just get ready to defend Rielly about being a 4th forward, being weak defensively because he is so good offensively, etc... You know, stuff we Sens fans hear all the time about Karlsson.

The other teams will have to respect his speed and moves which will give time to make better passes.

He will make your team so much better. In a couple years your goal against will drop a good 20 goals per year just because Rielly will get the puck out the zone quickly and safely by skating it himself or by making a tape to tape break out pass. Your goal for will go up as well a good 20.

Those 40 goals won't all show in Rielly's plus minus stats but you guys will know he was responsible for them.

Sure he will make mistakes, sure he will lose coverage but give him 3, 4 years before starting to micro observing all his misplays.

Last edited by guyzeur: 11-15-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Sens fan here,

You guys have a stud.

Just get ready to defend Rielly about being a 4th forward, being weak defensively because he is so good offensively, etc... You know stuff we Sens fans, hear all the time about Karlsson.

The other teams will have to respect his speed and moves which will give time to make better passes.

He will make your team so much better. In a couple years your goal against will drop a good 20 goals per year just because Rielly will get the puck out the zone quickly and safely by skating it himself or by making a tape to tape break out pass. Your goal for will go up as well a good 20.

Those 40 goals won't all show in Rielly's plus minus stats but you guys will know he was responsible for them.

Sure he will make mistakes, sure he will lose coverage but give him 3, 4 years before starting to micro observing all his misplays.
I agree. You know what they say about a good offence...

I will be quite surprised if he doesn't make the team if the season does resume. The kid is an NHL talent, no doubt about it.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Sens fan here,

You guys have a stud.

Just get ready to defend Rielly about being a 4th forward, being weak defensively because he is so good offensively, etc... You know, stuff we Sens fans hear all the time about Karlsson.

Well said...except the sens fan part

Since you guys prolly have the best inside info on Karlsson's game you would most likely know what it takes for a prospect playing that similar type of a game to make it into the league. Good to know opposing fans respect our prospect's talent. Doesnt make me hate the sens any less, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Frankie

Quote:

i would agree. and i'd repeat what i said....hopefully the jays' big trade has a much more positive impact on the team.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:59 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Sens fan here,

You guys have a stud.

Yeah I'm usually the type to go around saying those things. I know better, it's just easy to get under people's skin like that. Karlsson is unreal. I do however think Weber should have won the Norris instead. And of the two plus Doughty I'd take Doughty to build a team around, but that's about it. Karlsson is a top 5 dman in the league and he's only going to improve.

You're spot on about the GF and GA. And it might not show on his statline but the team will win more. That's what ultimately matters.

I'm so excited for Rielly. I had a mini panic attack when he went into the boards awkwardly. Good thing he was fine.

I think he'll follow a similar path even though they're not quite the same type of player.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:10 PM
thewave

NHL ready.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:12 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
NHL ready.
It's pretty clear now that this kid could have been a #1 or #2 pick in the draft, and those guys don't usually go back to junior.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:15 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's pretty clear now that this kid could have been a #1 or #2 pick in the draft, and those guys don't usually go back to junior.
I repeat myself like a broken record, he is no less talented than Yakapov. Rielly is absolutely elite talented.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:16 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
Yeah I'm usually the type to go around saying those things. I know better, it's just easy to get under people's skin like that. Karlsson is unreal. I do however think Weber should have won the Norris instead. And of the two plus Doughty I'd take Doughty to build a team around, but that's about it. Karlsson is a top 5 dman in the league and he's only going to improve.

You're spot on about the GF and GA. And it might not show on his statline but the team will win more. That's what ultimately matters.

I'm so excited for Rielly. I had a mini panic attack when he went into the boards awkwardly. Good thing he was fine.

I think he'll follow a similar path even though they're not quite the same type of player.
He did that a couple times that game. I know what you mean, it definitely rattled me.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:36 PM
pucci2001

I was just going to say Rielly in the WHL again doesn't phase me. He can really dominate, get confidence and polish his skills for next year. I am in absolutely no rush to put this guy in the NHL even if he is suspected to be ready. I want to be 100% sure, have a smooth transition no BS like Schenn and Kadri have been through. Take care of him, he will be a stud just don't pick the fruit before its ripe.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:44 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci2001 View Post
I was just going to say Rielly in the WHL again doesn't phase me. He can really dominate, get confidence and polish his skills for next year. I am in absolutely no rush to put this guy in the NHL even if he is suspected to be ready. I want to be 100% sure, have a smooth transition no BS like Schenn and Kadri have been through. Take care of him, he will be a stud just don't pick the fruit before its ripe.
If Burke and co. believe he is ready, it doesn't matter. I'd like to leave him for the year though just to give him another off season to train.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:51 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
difference being: the blue jays actually have good players before the deal.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:54 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
If Burke and co. believe he is ready, it doesn't matter. I'd like to leave him for the year though just to give him another off season to train.
Schenn developed with Wilson, the same guy that appeared to mock Kadri. With that imbacile out of the way I am confident someone as talented as Rielly will find his way and not be discouraged by his peers.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:59 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

as good as rielly is, let him dominate. Playing in the NHL this season will do little to no good for him. let him dominate in the WHL this full year, let him play in the WHL playoffs/ marlies playoffs and then let him come up next season.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
The only negative impression I got from watching him play last night is that he didn't seem as fast as I was expecting him to be. He is a great skater, and has wicked mobility, but I was expecting Gardiner/Kessel-like top speed. He got beat to a few races to the puck in the defensive zone last night, but it could be due to him easing off to avoid getting creamed on the plexiglass.
He absolutely has that top end speed, he just didn't really put it to use last night. When he feels the need to go...well, how about I'll just show you:

Skip to 00:40 in this video. Keep in mind, this is a couple of days after coming back from his ACL injury. He made 3 guys at centre ice look like they were actually pylons.

And then skip to 3:17. The acceleration he exhibits on this play is simply unreal, and that while controlling the puck like it's on a string.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Pi

I think we should be ready to see Rielly get trashed by fans like Sens fans go through with Karlsson.

I don't know if Rielly can be as offensively good as Karlsson but they really do play the game the same way...great skaters, can get out of a bad situation, and seem like masters on the PP.

After watching Rielly...I've learned to respect Karlsson's game a lot more.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I don't think Rielly will ever put up the same numbers as Karlsson. I think Rielly plays a more conservative style.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:43 PM
BlueBaron

OMG, nice highlight reel. Seems like on a lot of those everyone stops and watches him or they are moving in slow motion. The one where he circled the net was a copy of a gardiner goal last year. I wanted Galy or Grigs but I have sure warmed up to number 4.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:03 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I don't think Rielly will ever put up the same numbers as Karlsson. I think Rielly plays a more conservative style.
Not really.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:10 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Burke did say they would at least have at training camp whenever it begins and I can't see anything wrong with that. However I do agree it's best to then send him back to the WHL.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
as good as rielly is, let him dominate. Playing in the NHL this season will do little to no good for him. let him dominate in the WHL this full year, let him play in the WHL playoffs/ marlies playoffs and then let him come up next season.
I would rather he keep progressing. If he is 2 steps ahead of everyone in junior, is he going to learn much staying there?

If he's ready he's ready. On Burke teams, that is when they make it.

Closed Thread