HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Griffin Reinhart vs. Hampus Lindholm

View Poll Results: Lindholm or Reinhart?
Lindholm 39 47.56%
Reinhart 32 39.02%
Too close to call 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-15-2012, 06:52 PM
FoppaForsberg*

vCash: 500
Way, way too early for this. Wait until at least a few years.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:55 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I went with Reinhart based on pure potential.

I was pretty shocked at the Ducks picking Lindholm at 6th, and not Forsberg/Dumba. But at this point I'd take Lindholm over either of those guys, he is really impressing. Where he was picked is a great indicator of his talent level.

I feel like Reinhart is a bit lumbering right now, and could improve in a few areas of his game (mobility & puck control). However, if he puts it all together... watch out. He has that big frame, and is awesome defensively, if he adds muscle and works on his deficiencies he will be a STUD!
This.

Right now I think Hampus is the more well-rounded, polished defenseman with quite the upside but I think Griff has the edge on the defensive side. He obviosly lacks in mobility and offensive skills compared to Hampus but if Griff can improve in those areas I think he can be a top 5 five defenseman in the league for many many years.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:18 PM
jebs

Lindholm for me.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
This.

Right now I think Hampus is the more well-rounded, polished defenseman with quite the upside but I think Griff has the edge on the defensive side. He obviosly lacks in mobility and offensive skills compared to Hampus but if Griff can improve in those areas I think he can be a top 5 five defenseman in the league for many many years.
Lindholm's defense is on par with his offense. Not saying that Reinhart can't surpass him, just that Lindholm isn't strictly a PMD. He's more like Pietrangelo.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Lindholm's defense is on par with his offense. Not saying that Reinhart can't surpass him, just that Lindholm isn't strictly a PMD. He's more like Pietrangelo.
I know, that's why I said he was a well rounded defenseman.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I know, that's why I said he was a well rounded defenseman.
Sorry, I misread what you meant.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:45 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Too early but I gotta give the slight edge to Hampus. He looks like he's been in the AHL for years out there. Great positioning in his own zone. He directs his teammates on defense. He's very mature. And this isn't me trying to "justify a pick I hated". There's still a part of me that wishes we drafted Trouba, Forsberg, or Grigorenko but Hampus has done a lot to change my mind.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:23 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Reinhart with ease. Lindholm is good as well but I would take Murray, Reinhart, Rielly, Dumba, and Trouba ahead of him.
I have to completely disagree, and this is consistent with my positions on Dumba/Trouba before the draft. I need to see Dumba's style work against pro's before buying in, and Trouba I just feel doesn't have much offensive upside

Lindholm is a great skater but also has tremendous instincts offensively, I have yet to see him make a bad decision jumping into plays, nor heard anyone say he has, he has crazy physical fitness to. If Dumba's style translates i'll admit I was wrong and if he can get bigger that'd help

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:29 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Maybe Trouba isn't going to be offensively gifted, but from what I've seen out of Jacob, his defensive skill set is pretty much on par with Hampus if just a bit under him at this point, but he can bring a physicality that I don't think Hampus will bring. Trouba is seriously underrated (and not saying that cause I'm a Jets fan either I was overjoyed that they got him.)

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:32 AM
forthewild

Hampus Lindholm was the guy i wanted the Wild to take, my heart sank when he was taken 6th.

I have to give the edge to him in this comparison, i think that he posses some special tools that will make him the number 1 dman on the ducks with in a few years time. Just see him becoming a complete dman who can control the play at both ends of the ice.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

I didn't vote, mainly because I didn't see Reinhart play, but I did see Lindholm. He's certainly holding his own playing against men at very young age. He has all the tools to become exceptional defenseman, whether he will become one, that's another matter. If he and Fowler reach their potential, that will be truly amazing.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Haatley

I would have taken about 6 d-men, including reinhart before lindholm in the draft and not one has dont anything to change that.
murray still best d-man from last years class, reinhart right behind him at 2.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Would take Reinhart by a very slight margin, in reality its too close to call

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Based on what?
Potential and game-breaking ability. I don't think Lindholm has the game-breaking ability as the other 5 d-man nor do I see his ceiling right on par with them. Regardless he won't be much far apart from them. He plays a safe game, is very good defensively and underrated offensively but he doesn't any game breaking ability. Just safe and solid two-way play.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:30 AM
sg58

Lindholm will defend well, and can move the puck with great passing and terrific skating. He's also extremely smart. It's a tough one because Brodin and Larsson have gotten a bit further in development, but in my mind Lindholm is the best Swedish D prospect.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:12 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Potential and game-breaking ability. I don't think Lindholm has the game-breaking ability as the other 5 d-man nor do I see his ceiling right on par with them. Regardless he won't be much far apart from them. He plays a safe game, is very good defensively and underrated offensively but he doesn't any game breaking ability. Just safe and solid two-way play.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
I would have taken about 6 d-men, including reinhart before lindholm in the draft and not one has dont anything to change that.
murray still best d-man from last years class, reinhart right behind him at 2.
Well, that would lead to the question how much of a basis you head for putting him at 7th d-man to be picked to begin with. Not that the vast majority had any more, with Lindholm playing Swedish juniors and then Allsvenskan, he could not possibly have gotten the same attention the others did. That includes most analysts, and that's why NHL clubs pay their scouting staff a lot to keep track of players that stay somewhat under the radar of the general public.

Quote:
Personally, I think "game-breaking" ability is something very different for a defenseman than for a forward. The biggest way a defenseman can break a game is to help out offensively and shut down the opposing offensive game-breakers. Lindholm supposedly plays a lot like Lidstrom, stylistically speaking, and his strengths are similarly balanced. I'd be a fool to say he's likely to get to such levels, but I also have a hard time considering his ceiling lower than anyone else's as an all-round defenseman.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

This poll is preposterous. Not only is it way too early, you simply couldn't pick two defensive prospects with any more of opposing styles or qualities. Both have tremendous upside, but project to be very different players. Reinhart's size and physical gifts give him the potential to be a physically dominating shutdown defenseman with a booming shot. He has to become more assertive in the defensive zone and improve his skating and footwork, though. Lindholm elite skating ability and terrific hockey IQ give him the potential a termendous two-way defenseman who could excel on an aggressive, transittion offense team. However, it remains to be seen if he can shutdown top line NHL forwards and how well he'll fit into more conservative schemes.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Lindholm. Kid has star potential. Sky is the limit. I just got a feeling Reinhart will be good but the Isles will ruin him somehow like they always seem to do with youngsters.
Yeah, they'll ruin him just like they ruined Tavares, Hamonic, Nielsen, and MacDonald.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 141
Quote:
Fair enough. I have to ask though, did you come to this conclusion because you've seen all of them play, or because it's what the rankings said heading into the draft? It looks an awful lot like you just listed the defensemen that were ranked higher than Lindholm prior to the draft.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Well, that would lead to the question how much of a basis you head for putting him at 7th d-man to be picked to begin with. Not that the vast majority had any more, with Lindholm playing Swedish juniors and then Allsvenskan, he could not possibly have gotten the same attention the others did. That includes most analysts, and that's why NHL clubs pay their scouting staff a lot to keep track of players that stay somewhat under the radar of the general public.
This also seems to be why Lindholm was rated very highly by a couple of teams who saw more of him. Anaheim wasn't the only team that had Lindholm in their top 5, and this seems to be one of those cases where, the more teams saw of Lindholm, the more they liked him. We won't know which opinion of Lindholm was right, but I have to admit I'm seeing why Anaheim liked him, and the more I see of him the better he looks. I think he's right up there with Murray in regards to his hockey smarts.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote