HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

vCash: 50
Last night, the 02 gold medal final from the olympics was on and right after that, the subway series. The comparable I saw to Rielly was Brian Leetch. Not to say that Rielly will be even close to leetch or that he will be a hall of famer, just when it comes to play style. I hadn't seen a TON of leetch since when I started watching hockey, he was close to the down turn of his career (around 01/02 season) but man are they similar. The way they carry the puck, the way they distribute the puck, the hockey IQ of knowing when its the right time to rush and when its the right time to pass.

You have to take into consideration that what Leetch was doing in that 02 final was against a line up of virtually all hall of famers, whereas Rielly was doing it against OHL level talent. But the comparison is there, in play style, not in potential. Not saying that he will come close to Leetch in any way shape or form, just the way they look out there on the ice is similar.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Last night, the 02 gold medal final from the olympics was on and right after that, the subway series. The comparable I saw to Rielly was Brian Leetch. Not to say that Rielly will be even close to leetch or that he will be a hall of famer, just when it comes to play style. I hadn't seen a TON of leetch since when I started watching hockey, he was close to the down turn of his career (around 01/02 season) but man are they similar. The way they carry the puck, the way they distribute the puck, the hockey IQ of knowing when its the right time to rush and when its the right time to pass.

You have to take into consideration that what Leetch was doing in that 02 final was against a line up of virtually all hall of famers, whereas Rielly was doing it against OHL level talent. But the comparison is there, in play style, not in potential. Not saying that he will come close to Leetch in any way shape or form, just the way they look out there on the ice is similar.
I find his style to be exactly like Leetch. I'm not saying he's going to be Brian Leetch, but he's the best comparable for style. I don't see Kris Letang in him at all. I think he's potentially much more dynamic than Letang. Will he end up being a better or equal player, only time will tell.

Your Leetch comparison is on the money.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:16 PM
habsfanatics

Anyone who wasn't old enough to see Leetch in his prime should go watch some highlight packages and see what we're talking about.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:27 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I find his style to be exactly like Leetch. I'm not saying he's going to be Brian Leetch, but he's the best comparable for style. I don't see Kris Letang in him at all. I think he's potentially much more dynamic than Letang. Will he end up being a better or equal player, only time will tell.

Your Leetch comparison is on the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Anyone who wasn't old enough to see Leetch in his prime should go watch some highlight packages and see what we're talking about.
I think it's an apt comparison speaking strictly in terms of skating abilities, puck moving abilities, etc, not necessarily the same impact that Brian Leetch had on the game of hockey though. In terms of playing styles, Morgan and Brian are very similar.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:47 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm a Leafs fan, I've seen a decent number of Rielly's games (in the WHL, the Canada-Russia Challenge, and the Super Series), and I don't think Brian Campbell is a bad "mid point" comparison. Not his upside or his downside, but a "solid development" comparison. Like Campbell he's an elite skater, puck handler and puck mover, a guy with great vision who's very shifty with the puck. Also like Campbell, his one weakness offensively is a mediocre shot (not bad, but not a cannon). Rielly has a long way to go to reach Campbell's solid defensive play, but Rielly is just 18 years old, I'll bet when Campbell was 18 he was no better in his own end than Rielly is. I can certainly see Rielly becoming a better offensive player than Campbell, he's pretty amazing with the puck, but it's definitely not a bad comparison or any kind of insult. Campbell would be the #1 dman on plenty of teams, you shouldn't underrate him just because he was stuck behind the Keith/Seabrook pairing in Chicago. I personally like the "less physical Letang" comparison better, just in terms of the way both players put a TONNE of pressure on the opposition when they have the puck, but the Campbell comparison is solid too.
For the bulk of his career, no coach would put Campbell anywhere near a SH unit. There's a reason. Reilly has tons of time.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Edmonton fans have a thing for him Its amazing, aside from the few notorious trolls, nothing but praise for Reilly from you guys
He's a western boy and we get to see him play, hard not to want to see him succeed he's so exciting to watch. Obviously we are going to respect players who deserve the hype and are skilled. But when we say all these different things about Luke Schenn and his limited upside 4 years ago of course everyone is a troll and loves to hate all of Toronto's top prospects. Trust us, when a player really is good he will get his rightful hype.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
More skilled Marc-Andre Bergeron.
I would be ok with the MAB offense but distressed if he got the MAB defense. But I don't know how to interpret someone being 'more skilled' at defence when an analogy is made to a defensively deficient defensemen. By being more skilled at defence Rielly would turn into a different player than MAB, thereby killing the comparison.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
LOL I love the people on here who are complimenting Reilly and then comparing him to Brian Campbell..that isn't a compliment. He has the potential to become a much much better overall player than Brian freakin Campbell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
since when is brian campbell an insult? leafs fans should be pleased if he ends up as good as brian campbell
This is hilarious. It used to be me arguing that Karlsson would be a better player than Mike Green and some guy telling me that being compared to Mike Green is as good of a compliment Karlsson could get.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
The Beyonder

I agree with the Brian Leetch comparison. I think that's probably the most spot on comparison, unlike the Letang and Erik Karlsson comparisons, because he really does play like him.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:09 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
This is hilarious. It used to be me arguing that Karlsson would be a better player than Mike Green and some guy telling me that being compared to Mike Green is as good of a compliment Karlsson could get.
It was a damn good compliment at the time, and it still would be if it wasn't for all his injuries. Being compared to Campbell really isn't a bad thing for Reilly. It's not his upside, or his downside, but a nice reasonable middle ground. If he ends up as good as Campbell is right now, it will be a successful pick

Old
11-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Don't like this one. Maybe works for Derrick Pouliot, but Rielly doesn't have MAB's shot and is much more defensively sound and physical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
I would be ok with the MAB offense but distressed if he got the MAB defense. But I don't know how to interpret someone being 'more skilled' at defence when an analogy is made to a defensively deficient defensemen. By being more skilled at defence Rielly would turn into a different player than MAB, thereby killing the comparison.
It was meant as a sarcasm.

Seriously though, I can't believe some fellow Leafs fans are even arguing the Campbell comparison, if Rielly becomes anything close to Campbell, I will be more than satisfied.

Campbell is a legit top-pairing d-man on nearly every team in the league, and would be #1 D on couple of teams as well. To have Rielly achieve that status would be great for us. Not every top-picks in the last 10 years have shown the capability of being #1 d-man.

That being said, I really beleive Rielly has everything takes to become a #1 d-man. His strong work-ethic combine with his talent and smarts will make him a special player.

Also, for comparison, I see a lot of Duncan Keith in him.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
I agree with the Brian Leetch comparison. I think that's probably the most spot on comparison, unlike the Letang and Erik Karlsson comparisons, because he really does play like him.
Maybe it's just me but how do people throw comparisons like this around? Brian Leetch is one of the best D-men in the history of the league. Maybe I'm missing something about comparisons but I always thought it was meant to be 'two things that are alike'

11-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Maybe it's just me but how do people throw comparisons like this around? Brian Leetch is one of the best D-men in the history of the league. Maybe I'm missing something about comparisons but I always thought it was meant to be 'two things that are alike'
their playing style are similiar. they both possess the same tools and they used it in a very similar ways. Though, that does not necessarily mean Rielly has the exact same offensive instincts and abilities to dominate the game the way Leetch did.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:03 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Anton Tibaldi ‏@antontibaldi
Ok #Leafs fans, here are your 2-game Morgan Rielly highlights from the #SubwaySeries http://youtu.be/_136O96XMbc

If you like the videos, please follow the twitter: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi

Old
11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
You are missing something. The comparison isn't between Leetch's career and Rielly's expected career, it's playing style. It's a very big difference.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:40 AM
birddog*

Not sure why it's so important to find a comparable for Reilly. To the point it just becomes and argument.

Leetch was a great player -- hall of famer -- but is intelligence is what carried him. I would say Reilly is a better skate and that is the strength of his game.

Going to be interesting to see Reilly in the NHL. It's almost certain he will make it soon. From there we'll need to see how his game translates.

Karlson did things in junior he didn't do the first couple years in the NHL. Not until he improved and could handle the size and speed. Karlson also improved his shot -- a lot. His shot was unbelievable this year and a major reason why he got so many points. Reilly doesn't shoot the puck like him but if he ever improves his shot to the level of Karlson -- he does have that kind of skating and elusiveness.

Whoever he is compared to Letang, Karlson, Leetch, Duncan Keith -- those are all compliments and I'm sure the Leafs could live with any of those players.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
FWIW, here's what I wrote about him pre-draft last year:

Quote:
#3 - Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors - LD -

Rielly is a solid puck moving defenceman who was showing great growth defensively before suffering a serious knee injury in early November. Came back from injury without missing much of a step. Skates very well, is a great passer and reads the play well above average compared to his peers, excellent hockey sense. Likes to join the rush and has shown a steady growth in defensive play, despite missing almost all season with his serious injury. Doesn't have the hardest shot, but he knows how to use it effectively. Will turn heads at an NHL training camp and is a good candidate to make the jump to the NHL after one more year of junior. Likely a top 12 choice, but I would rank him higher than that, personally speaking.

NHL Style Comparable: Duncan Keith

Top End Potential: #2 Defenceman, PP Quarterback

Pick Prediction: 10-12th Overall

Old
11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Leviathan

Bob McKenzie said after watching Rielly he thinks he might just be the best player from this draft. So, maybe Burke wasn't making that up about him being ranked 1.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:44 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Bob McKenzie said after watching Rielly he thinks he might just be the best player from this draft. So, maybe Burke wasn't making that up about him being ranked 1.
Quote?

Old
11-16-2012, 11:50 AM
ErikP803

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Quote?
http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=13906&id=59

Old
11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
FWIW, here's what I wrote about him pre-draft last year:
Duncan Keith offense yes, but Duncan Keith also plays solid defensively

Old
11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Duncan Keith offense yes, but Duncan Keith also plays solid defensively
Who says Morgan Rielly is a finished product? He's got top-end smarts. He will be a more than capable NHL defender.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Who says Morgan Rielly is a finished product? He's got top-end smarts. He will be a more than capable NHL defender.
Eventually.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
There's a lot of people saying that. Rielly's injury is the only reason the Leafs got him at #5. He could have gone first overall. The Leafs got lucky (Finally).

On Hockey Central, Kypreos and Maclean laugh at the Leafs daily for how pathetic they are. But even they had to admit, the top scouts they've talked to say Rielly could have gone #1 overall if he wasn't injured.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:56 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
since when is brian campbell an insult? leafs fans should be pleased if he ends up as good as brian campbell
I'd rather see a Campbell comparrison than some HHOF defender that puts expectations too high.

Closed Thread