HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke's interview on Hockey Central @ Noon (November 14, 2012)

Old
11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Well he didn't say it.

But Burke has often said "You never can say you're interested in a player who's under contract to another team(that's tampering), But you can say when you're not interested in a specific player"

To this point he has never said he's not interested in Luongo he always gives the "you can't talk about it(tampering)" line. Plus you add that Nonis had him in Vancouver, And I also have a lot respect and belief in the story John Shannon put out there a few weeks ago. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...o_maple_leafs/

Also it should be said he's a pretty damn good goalie. The only problem is the size of the contract, And equating the value of him taking everything into consideration.
I am still in the middle ground for him, I hope Gillis realizes if we are trading him then they aren't going to get good pieces. However I do see the point you are trying to convey as Nonis was the man who got him there. It is a ballsy move for sure lol.

11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Burkes done a lot of things questionable to wrong since being a GM here, but this isn't one of those situations with Boll. Of course Boll IS going to get a chance at training camp to make the team, every team gives their propects a "chance" to make the team, that IS what training camp is for is to evalute where their prospects are at, the same applies to the leafs. Actually from what I've heard about Boll is he hits like a truck and has a lot of heart, I wouldn't mind a guy like that or several more like that playing on the bottom 2 lines.
I think Broll is an insurance policy for the 4th line, more than anything. I think the brass liked what they saw in his short AHL stint and at the rookie camp and figured he might be a good option. We don't have much size on the Marlies either.

The team lacks size & toughness, especially in the bottom 6, so we might need a high energy guy with big size depending on what happens with the CBA. He's not going to be a major impact one way or another, but unfortunately for us, he's really our only option right now for this skillset with the exception of Orr.

I would have preferred Biggs be given a look instead but at the time nobody knew how he'd pan out in Junior. The Leafs probably had far more looks at Broll so went with him instead.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Best news from the interview is Burke's adamant denial of having a deal ready to go for Luongo (or any other Canucks player). FWIW, LeBrun and his sources still think that Luongo will be coming to TO shortly after the new CBA is signed.

I found Burke's wording interesting when he mentioned having no agreement on any Canucks player (forgot his exact wording, but I found it very peculiar) It almost sounded like he does have a deal ready to go, just not with the Canucks.
Why do people still take what Burke says at face value?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Negative bias.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I was thinking the very same thing.

Luke Schenn was the closest to untouchable in Burke's own words, as he told him he wasn't being shopped, and then the first one out the door soon afterwards.
He wasn't shopped. He was traded.

Stop blaming Burke for things he hasn't done, and probably never will.

Last edited by Whydidijoin*: 11-15-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Kingstonian84*

[QUOTE=Rinzler;55791955]I think Broll is an insurance policy for the 4th line, more than anything. I think the brass liked what they saw in his short AHL stint and at the rookie camp and figured he might be a good option. We don't have much size on the Marlies either.

- To me the 4th line is irrelevant, as long as you have 3 guys who can skate, won't embarass themselves in their own end and won't take a stupid penatly then really it doesn't matter WHO laces up for that line.

The team lacks size & toughness, especially in the bottom 6, so we might need a high energy guy with big size depending on what happens with the CBA. He's not going to be a major impact one way or another, but unfortunately for us, he's really our only option right now for this skillset with the exception of Orr.

- This team lacks size from the 1st line down, actually no it's not even "size" its that this team is filled with ballerinas, very few players (outside of Frattin, Brown, Kulemin) will even venture into the corners, we need players who have that fire in them, its not size that were lacking.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:33 PM
RogerRoeper*

Burke won't touch Luongo's contract. No way he comes here.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
IMO there is no such thing as "untouchable", and Burke has never said Schenn was. What he did say was he would only "Trade Schenn if the right deal came along", now in Burke's mind that was JVR, right or wrong Burke views it that way. Personally I thought the trade was absurd, your trading a defensive guy for an UNPROVEN forward, sorry didn't like the trade then don't like it anymore now.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Burke won't touch Luongo's contract. No way he comes here.
Your saying it like its fact, if you want to believe it won't happen thats fine but to sit there and say for certainty it won't happen without any proof to back it up is really assumptious.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Your saying it like its fact, if you want to believe it won't happen thats fine but to sit there and say for certainty it won't happen without any proof to back it up is really assumptious.
So many are saying it's a fact he's coming here, so I'm giving my opinion. Burke hates those contracts.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
So many are saying it's a fact he's coming here, so I'm giving my opinion. Burke hates those contracts.
Fair enough, but the way you stated it came off like you were spewing out facts. Personally I agree with you that I don't think Luongo is coming here, not because of the huge contract but based on history that Burke has a piss poor ability to evaulate a goaltender, Luongo coming here would make too much sense, in other words I wouldn't be surprised to see Burke go after a guy like Hiller or attempt to lure another unproven goalie overseas just to avoid going after an elite goalie in Luongo.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
He doesnt hate them, he hates giving them. Has never said anything about taking bad contracts from other teams. In fact he went after Carter and Richards, both who had a similarly bad contract like Luongo.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Trigger96

Quote:
Burkes done a lot of things questionable to wrong since being a GM here, but this isn't one of those situations with Boll. Of course Boll IS going to get a chance at training camp to make the team, every team gives their propects a "chance" to make the team, that IS what training camp is for is to evalute where their prospects are at, the same applies to the leafs. Actually from what I've heard about Boll is he hits like a truck and has a lot of heart, I wouldn't mind a guy like that or several more like that playing on the bottom 2 lines.
How do you expect any Leaf fans to take your opinion seriously when you don't even know what our prospects names are?

it's BROLL

Trigger96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

He emphatically denies that it's not true? Lol double negative

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I've attempted to decode everything Burke says (and try to get a read on what the underlying meanings are in all his interviews) and what I've come to realize over the years is that he's a master manipulator. Sort of like a magician..or M. Night Shyamalan..just when you think it's going one way, it goes another..and then you think the trick is over and boom it goes a totally different direction.

I've given up trying to figure out what direction he's going lol
That makes two of you.

I really don't care which prospects outside of Rielly he uses to land Luongo.

I don't consider Gardiner a prospect.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
He's a lawyer. You have to listen to how those weasels word sentences. To date, since arriving to TO, I don't think Burke's lied about anything.

For instance: "I don't believe in 5 year rebuild plans..." != I will build a contender in TO in less than 5 years.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:

Stop blaming Burke for things he hasn't done, and probably never will.
If a player that was traded wasn't shopped around for the best deal than another reason to fire Burke.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
If a player that was traded wasn't shopped around for the best deal than another reason to fire Burke.

Not if you got the player you wanted, or a player you value more.

I'm sure when the rumours started in December, any GM with a serious offer mentioned it to Burke. We also don't know who Burke talked to right before the trade went down to see if there was anything better.

That still doesn't mean he was shopped, especially not when Burke made that quote.

It's not just

*ring*
"Hey I got a player"
"I got a player too"
"Let's trade"
"Done"
*Hangs up*

There is a process that you clearly don't understand.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:50 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Quote:

Not if you got the player you wanted, or a player you value more.

I'm sure when the rumours started in December, any GM with a serious offer mentioned it to Burke. We also don't know who Burke talked to right before the trade went down to see if there was anything better.

That still doesn't mean he was shopped, especially not when Burke made that quote.

It's not just

*ring*
"Hey I got a player"
"I got a player too"
"Let's trade"
"Done"
*Hangs up*

There is a process that you clearly don't understand.
Collin Wilson versus JVR

Listening to offers <> shopping player.

Letting everyone in the entire industry know a player is available <> shopping player.

He confirms and denies in the same sentence.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
That makes two of you.

I really don't care which prospects outside of Rielly he uses to land Luongo.

I don't consider Gardiner a prospect.
I don't even think Burke himself knows anymore, I really think he just wants to throw anything at the wall he can and hope it works. He says hes building from the net out yet brings in over the hill guys like Gerber/Gus and then tries luring in over seas dark horses, it's as if for goaltending he's just collecting as many as possible and hope one turns out, yet its clear he hasn't done much research into it. Burke says he wants a "beligrent" team yet goes out and gets as many ballerinas (Kessel, Lombardi, Versteeg, Kadri, Connolly) that he can find. The product Burke has promised VS the one that actually exists are two different ends of the extreme, it's like night and day.

I really think this is Burke's problem, his ego! The guy loves to hear himself speak, and he lets "principles" get in his way of building this team properly. If he would just shut his big mouth and ignore his "principles" I really believe this leafs team would be a lot better then what it is.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:25 PM
ITM

Quote:
I don't even think Burke himself knows anymore, I really think he just wants to throw anything at the wall he can and hope it works. He says hes building from the net out yet brings in over the hill guys like Gerber/Gus and then tries luring in over seas dark horses, it's as if for goaltending he's just collecting as many as possible and hope one turns out, yet its clear he hasn't done much research into it. Burke says he wants a "beligrent" team yet goes out and gets as many ballerinas (Kessel, Lombardi, Versteeg, Kadri, Connolly) that he can find. The product Burke has promised VS the one that actually exists are two different ends of the extreme, it's like night and day.

I really think this is Burke's problem, his ego! The guy loves to hear himself speak, and he lets "principles" get in his way of building this team properly. If he would just shut his big mouth and ignore his "principles" I really believe this leafs team would be a lot better then what it is.
Do some research as to just who Gustavsson was when Burke, and several other NHL clubs were chasing him. It's been repeated and repeated and repeated...Gustavsson was a legitimate blue chip target. Credit Burke for doing what he could to bring him over...Want to find fault with management? Start with Wilson, move on to Allaire...Burke was golden in getting Gustavsson. To repeat: Do some reasearch as to just who Gustavsson was ie record setting SEL goalie that topped Lundqvist's SEL performance...as in Henrik Lundqvist.

Phil Kessel was and is an exceptional player. Top 6 at the finish of this last season's finish in the scorinf race. One of 4 or 5 five players at the time under a certain age to score 30 or more

Burke's been right about contracts. He's replenished the prospect cupboards like no GM before him in the last 30 years. And on and on...Things take time. And if ever there was a moment to be proud of our GM it's now...Looks positively vanguardian (?) compared to the majority of the league's GMs.

I'm thankful he's our GM.

People making comparisons of other teams, to Toronto and the Toronto team that was all but gutted, yet still moaning on about Burke's efforts are either intentionally obtuse or accidentally. Either way...ugh.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Kingstonian84*

[QUOTE=ITM;55801945]Do some research as to just who Gustavsson was when Burke, and several other NHL clubs were chasing him. It's been repeated and repeated and repeated...Gustavsson was a legitimate blue chip target. Credit Burke for doing what he could to bring him over...Want to find fault with management? Start with Wilson, move on to Allaire...Burke was golden in getting Gustavsson. To repeat: Do some reasearch as to just who Gustavsson was ie record setting SEL goalie that topped Lundqvist's SEL performance...as in Henrik Lundqvist.

- I'm well aware of who Gus was at the time Burke was sniffing him out. Yes Gus posted strong numbers in the SEL but that doesn't translate to being a good NHL player, also if Gus is as good as you think then WHY wasn't he drafted? Food for thought on that....

Phil Kessel was and is an exceptional player. Top 6 at the finish of this last season's finish in the scorinf race. One of 4 or 5 five players at the time under a certain age to score 30 or more

- Whoa, back it up there a second, I'm not knocking Kessel's skill the dude is a top 5 sniper and an elite player. What I am saying is he is a ballerina, the guy runs from contact and he won't sacrifice his body for the good of the team, can you really sit there and say otherwise?

Burke's been right about contracts. He's replenished the prospect cupboards like no GM before him in the last 30 years. And on and on...Things take time. And if ever there was a moment to be proud of our GM it's now...Looks positively vanguardian (?) compared to the majority of the league's GMs.

- I will give credit to Burke with contracts he hasn't gone overboard with long terms ones, but at same time if you want elite players to sign here you have to offer them a lot more then 5 year deals.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Collin Wilson versus JVR

Listening to offers <> shopping player.

Letting everyone in the entire industry know a player is available <> shopping player.

He confirms and denies in the same sentence.
I honestly have no idea what you are saying here. Nor do I know what <> means.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
He says hes building from the net out yet brings in over the hill guys like Gerber/Gus and then tries luring in over seas dark horses, it's as if for goaltending he's just collecting as many as possible and hope one turns out, yet its clear he hasn't done much research into it. Burke says he wants a "beligrent" team yet goes out and gets as many ballerinas (Kessel, Lombardi, Versteeg, Kadri, Connolly) that he can find. The product Burke has promised VS the one that actually exists are two different ends of the extreme, it's like night and day.
Gerber was a waiver pickup to fill in for an injury, and played all of 12 games for Toronto. Gustavsson was a highly-sought after goaltender who had just put up a record year overseas. Also, a lot of finding a goaltender is just seeing what works.

As for your "ballerinas", Kessel is an elite sniper who just finished 6th in league scoring. Versteeg is not soft, and even if you thought he was, Burke also traded him away. Kadri is not soft. Not sure where this idea came from. Connolly and Lombardi are short-term stop-gaps, one of which was acquired to get a free asset.

Meanwhile, he has drafted toughness and character.

Quote:
None of Burke's policies has hurt the Leafs. Neither has his so-called "ego".

Old
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what you are saying here. Nor do I know what <> means.
less than greater than (not equal)

To let people know someone is available isn't shopping but it is being open to offers.