HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Murray Underrated....

Old
11-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 500
One is flashy, one is not
One was drafted by Toronto, one was drafted by Columbus.

What did you expect?

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't think anyone's upset Reilly is getting attention.

I agree that being overshadowed is a good term for Murray. He's not as good at any one part of the game compared to other dmen from the draft and he's on a team with one of the smallest fanbases. Therefore, he seems underrated. He is undoubtedly the best all around dman from the draft though and definitely the most ready, so underrated doesn't really fit
When you have people after one game come here to post things like "WHY DOES RIELLY HAVE TO BE ON NATIONAL TV?"... it does kinda sound like people are upset.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
When you have people after one game come here to post things like "WHY DOES RIELLY HAVE TO BE ON NATIONAL TV?"... it does kinda sound like people are upset.
That's a bit extreme. A very small minority doesn't really prove a point. Rielly has been getting all types of hype, and it certainly does seem like it has been at the expense of some other very good players.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:19 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Imo, 'Higher Upside' =/= 'Better'

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Offensive defenceman get peoples attention more hence the love for Reilly. Defensive defenceman like Murray don't get a lot of love.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That's a bit extreme. A very small minority doesn't really prove a point. Rielly has been getting all types of hype, and it certainly does seem like it has been at the expense of some other very good players.
I really feel that people are making mountains out of molehills here with the play by play guy's comments. They spent quite a bit of time talking about Murray before the game and comparing him to Scott Neidermayer, then the play by play compliments Rielly only twice before people start to complain in the GDT.

I truly don't feel that people get as up in arms about any other teams' prospects getting attention as much as they do if it's Toronto.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Lol. leaf fans slay me.
murray is by far better
You are embarassing yourself.

Murray may be better, it's pretty subjective at this point but it is not rediculous to say one or the other is better. Your comment on the other hand, is rediculous. Insulting an entire fan base because you are so arrogant as to assume that only your opinion could be right.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I really feel that people are making mountains out of molehills here with the play by play guy's comments. They spent quite a bit of time talking about Murray before the game and comparing him to Scott Neidermayer, then the play by play compliments Rielly only twice before people start to complain in the GDT.

I truly don't feel that people get as up in arms about any other teams' prospects getting attention as much as they do if it's Toronto.
Some of the Toronto fans might have something to do with that. We weren't even through the off-season before some fans were saying Rielly had shown himself to be the best defenseman in the draft. When talking about making mountains out of molehills, that seems to be exactly what some of the Rielly fans are doing too, taking a good performance and taking it to further levels. You surely can't be surprised that this rubs people the wrong way at times.

To put it in a different way, Anaheim fans have been thrilled with what Lindholm has shown. We're very excited about him as a prospect, and we think that he's done a lot to justify the faith Anaheim's scouts had in him. But we haven't exactly started claiming he's the best defenseman in the draft, or making some of the outlandish comments I've seen in regards to Rielly. I think it's the sensationalism of some of the comments that are questionable. Not just saying Rielly is a great prospect, but basically saying he's better than everyone else.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:15 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
The more I watch Murray the more I dislike his game. He plays so safe and never takes any risks. You're never gonna have a lot of success if you don't take risks.
That may be the smartest thing I've ever read in my entire life, seriously what the hell are you thinking? Of course he will have alot of success and less of a hard time making the jump to the NHL level, what do you think that Rielly will automatically have the better career just because he's a risk taker and likes to lug the puck up the ice? Murray will be a pillar at D and stop everyone coming his way and he also has a great slap shot. You're just underrating his offensive game just like everybody else.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Crede777
Deputized

People need to stop viewing Murray as a defensive defenseman.

Murray does play a smart, sound defensive game. He uses his vision and stick very well.

However he is very, very good at the transition too. His puck carrying and passing is what seems to be underrated. His ability to set up forwards and play point on the PP should be seen as just as good.

I like how Sore Loser put it in the CBJ Prospects thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser
What impressed me the most about Ryan Murray was the same thing that always has - his puck poise. I can remember at least 5-6 times when he single handedly broke out of the defensive zone, gained the red line, and made a pass that would have sprung in the forwards for clean breaks had they been ready for them. He has a swagger about him with the puck that makes him ever dangerous. His one-timer surprised me in it's quickness and accuracy, and his shot in general was hard. I know I saw him wind up 6 or 7 times, but not all of those shots made it through, so he probably wound up with 4 or so shots on net. Not bad when the team only puts up 22, really.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
Omg, the D class from that draft was unreal
It wasn't just Doughty, Pietrangelo and Karlsson either, but also Myers, Bogosian, Carlson, MDZ, Hamonic, Schultz, Gardiner, Schenn, Sbisa, Josi, Voynov, Demers, Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodie, Larsen, etc. Probably the best draft for dmen ever. 2012 was pretty damn stacked for dmen too, but it'll be a long time until we see another 2008.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
Omg, the D class from that draft was unreal
Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn, Myers, Karlsson, Del Zotto, Sbisa, Carlson, and that was just the first round. Voynov and Demers in later rounds. Probably the best since '03.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:53 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
There are a lot of Edmonton fans out west and even Habs fans that rave about Rielly on these boards. Also when you watch him play the play by play guys are always raving about him, same with the radio guys.

The hype isn't just Toronto fans. It's just that he is really really good.
Ok Edmonton fans can rave all they want about Rielly, but saying he's amazing and Murray"sucks" or "Morganz iz bett3rz!" is unfair considering Oiler fans only get to see Murray less than 4 times a season. Could be even less than that. So Oilers fan can't say who's better IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Is Adam Larsson a good comparison for Murray?
Not at all, picture a less talented version of Scott Niedermayer.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:59 PM
topchowda

Murray is a jack of all trades, master of none

Good offensice instincts but still plays a defensively simple game. Hes a guy youd be comfortable putting out down by 1 with 2 mins left or if you have a 1 goal lead.
Rielly gets hyped more because he can make a sweet dangle that everyone notices, but I would be more comfortable with Murray making the smart plays noone notices

Its hard to pick a players he is like, maybe Seabrook without the physicality or a potentially better Brewer

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
His brain is elite
His skating is also at or near elite levels.

Rielly could very well become the more valuable player. However, Murray fits Columbus' needs immensely better than Rielly. While JJ seems like a man on a mission in Columbus, the sample size isn't large enough to say for sure that he's turned a new leaf on his defensive zone play. A Murray-Johnson first pair is very balanced and savvy. We've also got numerous guys who look like NHL defensemen, but aren't quite guys you put out there against the opponent's best players (Moore, Erixon, Savard). Murray has that quality.

On another note, I really like Matt Finn. I think it's conceivable that a Rielly-Finn pairing could be very comparable to a Murray-Johnson pairing: Rielly's offensive potential looks like a better JJ, Murray's potential looks like a better Finn (at least in my eyes).

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:07 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Murray is a jack of all trades, master of none

Good offensice instincts but still plays a defensively simple game. Hes a guy youd be comfortable putting out down by 1 with 2 mins left or if you have a 1 goal lead.
Rielly gets hyped more because he can make a sweet dangle that everyone notices, but I would be more comfortable with Murray making the smart plays noone notices

Its hard to pick a players he is like, maybe Seabrook without the physicality or a potentially better Brewer
Tbh i think he plays like Jay Bouwmeester. All around solid and potential to be top pairing.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:33 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Ok Edmonton fans can rave all they want about Rielly, but saying he's amazing and Murray"sucks" or "Morganz iz bett3rz!" is unfair considering Oiler fans only get to see Murray less than 4 times a season. Could be even less than that. So Oilers fan can't say who's better IMO.
This makes absolutely no sense. You do know there are Oiler fans all over the world, not just in Edmonton right? I'll personally be seeing Murray 4 times LIVE and more than that on tv.

The point isn't that we know better than anyone else or something, simply that when rival fan bases agree on a player, usually its a pretty good sign. And for the record, I prefer Murray to Reilly

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:39 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn, Myers, Karlsson, Del Zotto, Sbisa, Carlson, and that was just the first round. Voynov and Demers in later rounds. Probably the best since '03.
Gardiner and Schultz?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Gardiner and Schultz?
And Hamonic.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Gardiner and Schultz?
Islanders drafted two guys later as well. Hamonic in the second and Spurgeon in the sixth.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:02 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

That draft was just such an anomaly. The quality of defenders that came out of it throughout the rounds is just out of this world

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:09 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
i expected to discover, after cbj drafted him, that murray was the biggest pile of dog crap that ever walked the earth. but reading these comments gives me hope.
he's the biggest pile of dog crap that ever walked the earth

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:30 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I see Rielly as more of a Brian Campbell than an Erik Karlsson, i'd be very surprised if Rielly scored 60 or 70 unless the GPG goes up again

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:27 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Tbh i think he plays like Jay Bouwmeester. All around solid and potential to be top pairing.
This is the comparison I've always leaned towards. JayBo is a better passer however and Murray has a better shot

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:42 AM
puckfan13

Guys like Hamhuis and Suter play very unassuming games, never exactly jumped off the page at you in junior as well. Murray will be fine, just because you aren't flashy and dynamic doesn't mean you won't be a very effective NHL d-man.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote