HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Stevens-Niedermayer vs Pronger-Niedermayer

View Poll Results: which was better?
Pronger-Niedermayer 52 52.53%
Stevens-Niedermayer 47 47.47%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
  #26
Komarov77
Registered User
 
Komarov77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Pronger and Niedermayer

Komarov77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
  #27
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
-controls the entire game when he's on the ice
-better offensively

there's two obvious ones
Pronger controls the "entire" game when he's on the ice? I'd argue Stevens does that and better still. I don't see it in Pronger, but ok.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:29 AM
  #28
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
-controls the entire game when he's on the ice
-better offensively

there's two obvious ones
Yep and Stevens was able to take control of playoffs series. Pronger was better offensively but Stevens was downright the most dominant defensive defence-man of the dead puck era.

That's a pretty close call. Anyone who said Pronger > Stevens has shown full bias. Both were the epitome of Elite players. Picking one over the other is only a matter of personal preference and nothing more, come on.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
  #29
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Jerk Store's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,542
vCash: 500
Wow, some don't remember Stevens it seems. I'm a big Pronger fan, but Stevens was an offensive dynamo for a while, putting up 60+ and 70+ points, then became one of the best shutdown guy I've seen in my lifetime.

Pair that up with Neidermayer and to me it's not really that close, Stevens!

Jerk Store is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:46 PM
  #30
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I think people forget how wonderful of a two way talent Stevens was. Before NJ's prime years he was a dominant offensive defenseman, and in NJ he was arguably the best shutdown defenseman in the league. He was basically a Shea Weber like talent. I don't think Pronger>Stevens is as easy a call as people make it out to be, although an argument for it is fair. Myself, i'd take Stevens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Wow, some don't remember Stevens it seems. I'm a big Pronger fan, but Stevens was an offensive dynamo for a while, putting up 60+ and 70+ points, then became one of the best shutdown guy I've seen in my lifetime.

Pair that up with Neidermayer and to me it's not really that close, Stevens!
Stevens had five 60+ seasons, two of which cleared 70.

The thing is this, though:

Assuming that we are intended to only evaluate the block of time when the players played together, and the players as they were, then Stevens' big offensive years cannot be included. Because he put three 60+ and one 70+ up while playing a "******* defense" style in Washington in the 1980s. He did have his 78-point year in 1993-94, and finished second in Norris voting. But other than that year and his 57 points in 1992-93 (Niedermayer's rookie season) he was a sub-30 defenseman while Niedermayer was there, aside from 31 points in 2000-01.

Not exactly a two-way dynamo. Star offensive defenseman who switched to a defensive style? Yes.

Pronger was a top defenseman at both ends; he didn't have to give up his offense to provide top level defense. Furthermore, Niedermayer was better as a Duck than as a Devil. And finally, Pronger had some of his best years as a Duck.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:52 PM
  #31
Stansfield*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Stevens and Pronger were rarely paired with Niedermayer, but Stevens and Niedermayer were teammates for awhile and won a lot together so I'll go with them.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
  #32
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
-controls the entire game when he's on the ice
-better offensively

there's two obvious ones
Stevens controlled the entire playstyle of opposing forwards and had many playoff series changing hits. Nobody carried the puck across the blue line into the zone if he knew Stevens was on the ice. I'd say that's pretty good control of a game.

Stevens was excellent offensively in his prime, and even once Lemaire convinced him to focus on defence, he was still very capable of contributing offensively too. He hovered around 25-30 points a season for the rest of his career, which is respectable during the dead puck era.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:04 PM
  #33
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.
 
Walkingthroughforest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
-controls the entire game when he's on the ice
-better offensively

there's two obvious ones


Stevens had two seasons over 70 points, as well as another 3 over 60.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:47 PM
  #34
ottawa
go habs go
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,244
vCash: 500
People are seriously underrating the Stevens-Niedermayer duo, or maybe they have just forgotten about them

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:22 PM
  #35
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
People are seriously underrating the Stevens-Niedermayer duo, or maybe they have just forgotten about them
The fact that it's basically even means people are not doing as you suggest. Niedermayer was better both ways when he played with Pronger. Pronger is/was significantly better offensively than Stevens in their respective times with Niedermayer. And the defense and physical games were close. This really shouldn't be close.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:17 AM
  #36
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Stevens had two seasons over 70 points, as well as another 3 over 60.
Only one of those came while Stevens and Niedermayer were on the same team.

In '93-'94 Stevens and Niedermayer combined for 124 points in 164 games.
In '06-'07 Pronger and Niedermayer combined for 128 points in 145 games.

These are the best combined season totals for the two.

Stevens never scored over 31 points following his monster '93-'94 season where he scored 78. The 2nd best point total for the Devils duo was 97 points in 161 games, 3rd is 83 points in 161 games. There's a fair sized drop off in offensive production after this.

In the two other seasons Pronger and Niedermayer played together, they combined for 68 points in 120 games (pace for 93 points over 164 games) and 107 points in 164 games.

Even just looking at the best years the Devils duo had, clearly the Ducks duo has the edge offensively. We can argue Stevens vs Pronger defensively all night long, but I don't think anyone is going to argue with the fact that Ducks Niedermayer >> Devils Niedermayer defensively, certainly by a larger margin than you could argue Stevens over Pronger IMO.

Having said all that, I think the Ducks duo is clearly the better of the two.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:40 AM
  #37
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,966
vCash: 500
stevens-neidermayer

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
  #38
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Only one of those came while Stevens and Niedermayer were on the same team.

In '93-'94 Stevens and Niedermayer combined for 124 points in 164 games.
In '06-'07 Pronger and Niedermayer combined for 128 points in 145 games.

These are the best combined season totals for the two.

Stevens never scored over 31 points following his monster '93-'94 season where he scored 78. The 2nd best point total for the Devils duo was 97 points in 161 games, 3rd is 83 points in 161 games. There's a fair sized drop off in offensive production after this.

In the two other seasons Pronger and Niedermayer played together, they combined for 68 points in 120 games (pace for 93 points over 164 games) and 107 points in 164 games.

Even just looking at the best years the Devils duo had, clearly the Ducks duo has the edge offensively. We can argue Stevens vs Pronger defensively all night long, but I don't think anyone is going to argue with the fact that Ducks Niedermayer >> Devils Niedermayer defensively, certainly by a larger margin than you could argue Stevens over Pronger IMO.

Having said all that, I think the Ducks duo is clearly the better of the two.
You're comparing two different eras here. The game in 1994 was a hell of a lot different from the game in 2006. Comparing their offensive production is nearly meaningless because of that. Of course it's going to be slanted toward the Anaheim pairing, because the league as a whole was scoring more.

You're also not comparing the same Niedermayer. Of course he'd score more as a more experienced player than he did as a kid.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:41 AM
  #39
gifted88
Dante the poet
 
gifted88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,353
vCash: 500
Very close, Stevens and Niedermayer played together for 14 years and he only played with Pronger for 3 years.

Really just comes down to Stevens vs Pronger. I'd pick Pronger.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
  #40
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
The fact that it's basically even means people are not doing as you suggest. Niedermayer was better both ways when he played with Pronger. Pronger is/was significantly better offensively than Stevens in their respective times with Niedermayer. And the defense and physical games were close. This really shouldn't be close.
I don't think their defensive and physical "games" as you say are close. Stevens changed how teams played the game.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:33 PM
  #41
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
You're comparing two different eras here. The game in 1994 was a hell of a lot different from the game in 2006. Comparing their offensive production is nearly meaningless because of that. Of course it's going to be slanted toward the Anaheim pairing, because the league as a whole was scoring more.

You're also not comparing the same Niedermayer. Of course he'd score more as a more experienced player than he did as a kid.
Well I don't really have a choice but to compare between eras. It's fair to bring up the monster offensive seasons Stevens had (when he wasn't even with Niedermayer no less) in the 80s but I can't compare the scoring of the two duos because they were in different eras? What sense does that make?

Obviously I'm not comparing the same Niedermayer, Niedermayer never played simultaneously for the Devils and the Ducks... How can we even discuss this without comparing Niedermayer as a Duck to Niedermayer as a Devil? The way you're suggesting we should approach this would just mean we're just doing Stevens vs Pronger, which is not the point of this thread. Not to mention it also necessitates comparing between eras.

In the years Pronger-Niedermayer was a duo, NHL scoring was at 5.89, 5.57 and 5.83 goals per game. The highest scoring years when the Devils duo existed, the scoring was at 7.25, 6.48 and 6.29 goals per game. The actual years where they scored the most points it was at 7.25, 6.48 and 5.28 goals per game.

So yeah, if you were to adjust by scoring by era, it would make it even clearer that the Ducks duo is superior offensively.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:18 PM
  #42
Stang
Registered User
 
Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
All tied up at 42 votes a piece so far.

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:58 PM
  #43
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Stevens and Niedermayer. 3 Cups vs 1 Cup.
Seriously? Were the Ducks supposed to win three straight?


Neither was a memorable pairing. Beauchemin was probably Niedermayer's best partner.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:02 PM
  #44
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,250
vCash: 500
The problem with this comparison is we never saw prime niedermayer/stevens as a pairing.

When Niedermayer/Pronger played together they were probably closer to their prime.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:09 AM
  #45
Nocashstyle
Registered User
 
Nocashstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
People are seriously underrating the Stevens-Niedermayer duo, or maybe they have just forgotten about them
Probably too young to remember them

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.