HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Does Anybody Here Remember Vera Lynn? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXVIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 09:45 PM
JAX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409553

We are extremely disappointed in where we and the Players find ourselves," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Thursday evening. "And from our perspective, we have made repeated moves in the Players' direction with absolutely no reciprocation. Unfortunately, we have determined we are involved with Union leadership that has no genuine interest in reaching an agreement. Regardless of what we propose, or how we suggest to compromise the answer is "no." At some point you just have to say "enough is enough."

That is sure how it looks and has looked right for weeks.It is about time the league spoke up.It is likely too late though. Fehr is marching the players off to who knows what and dragging the League along.
But yet if you listen to players tweets, they are the poor victims in all of this and don't have a negotiating partner. the league needs to make proposals public otherwise Fehr can continue his dance.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:46 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
These are people who willingly throw themselves in front of 90 mile per hour slapshots to help the team win. Most fans would describe that spirit of self sacrifice and grit as heroic, even enviable.

But in the context of a labor negotiation? Self sacrifice and grit are delusional, apparently.
no idea what you're trying to say.

I'm saying these guys are continuing to make a huge fuss and attack the NHL with these subtle "so unfair!" tweets over what is largely a short-term very small loss(which will eventually be a large gain) and a small change to contracts(if they actually negotiate).

I'm saying it's just stupid to posture at this point, nothing to do with the danger of their job. It's just there is nothing to gain anymore from sitting around and taking stabs at the NHL's comments.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post
It all boils down to this.

There is a demand to be a player in the NHL.
There isn't a demand to be an owner in the NHL.

The players need the owners, more than the owners need the players.
Most hockey fans want to be a hockey player, but don't have the talent
Most hockey fans want to be an owner, but don't have the money

They need each other equally. Owners need players (hence, the contract issues and necessity for limiting contracts) just as much as the players need them to sign their paycheques. One doesn't happen without the other.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
But yet if you listen to players tweets, they are the poor victims in all of this and don't have a negotiating partner. the league needs to make proposals public otherwise Fehr can continue his dance.
If they wanna give the PA a taste of their own medicine they could get specific in what Fehr is saying in this process.

My guess is they do offer a compromise on contracts, "accept the HRR/make-whole and we'll take some contract stuff off the table."

Old
11-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
You've lost me... What's the implication here? Age-related dementia?
Well, let's put it this way - if you had Don Fehr's experience, education, goals and vision would you phone Bettman admiting that you had no idea where to take matters?

Last edited by Mike Jones: 11-15-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 09:50 PM
PensFanSince1989

@Russostrib: NHL's Bill Daly: "Maybe they should get a reality check" #NHL #NHLPA | http://t.co/vzubuS3E http://t.co/B3F22WB4

Quote:
In an email to the Star Tribune, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said: "I find it incredible that the Union is suggesting that we are somehow "close" to a deal. They have utterly refused to negotiate for months. They have made essentially one proposal -- five times. They continue to request a "guaranteed" Players Share as part of the next agreement and we repeatedly tell them maybe they should get a reality check. And in the mean time, maybe they can make their position clear to us on 50-50, on the make-whole and on Player Contracting issues."

Old
11-15-2012, 09:50 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Daly:

Quote:
In an email to the Star Tribune, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said: "I find it incredible that the Union is suggesting that we are somehow "close" to a deal. They have utterly refused to negotiate for months. They have made essentially one proposal -- five times. They continue to request a "guaranteed" Players Share as part of the next agreement and we repeatedly tell them maybe they should get a reality check. And in the mean time, maybe they can make their position clear to us on 50-50, on the make-whole and on Player Contracting issues."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/179601461.html

Old
11-15-2012, 09:51 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, but I guarantee this isn't going to help with anything. Lame

Old
11-15-2012, 09:53 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, but I guarantee this isn't going to help with anything. Lame
^ this. This is only going to cause a pissing match

Old
11-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
Come on, now. It's the same as Daly announcing that the League has nothing more to offer.
No. It's not. Daly is trying to invoke a fact, and Fehr doesn't know how to handle a stiff arm/stance. Fehr doesn't understand that the owners will hold out to get what they want, and that his shock an awe as the NHLPA leader is merely a bump in the road to them.

No meaningful reply's from them is gonna find many thoughts of he's(Fehr)/they're(Players) not serious enough to move forward.

Why waste the breath/paper?

Old
11-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
he may be an idiot, but he's definitely NOT stupid
What does this even mean?

You claim the NHLPA wouldn't go on strike if there wasn't a lockout.

So again I'll ask; do you know who Don Fehr is?

Old
11-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
There ya go Daly

Good on ya

Because that is what is happening and that is why no progress is being made

Old
11-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
There ya go Daly

Good on ya

Because that is what is happening and that is why no progress is being made
It's the smart move right now. Start poking and prodding and see where the pushback is.

I'm not familiar enough with Fehr's history - would this be something new to him?

Old
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
He's obviously trying to reach the players not brainwashed right now. Sometimhingbthe NHL should have done a while ago. I've been listening to TSN tell me how close the sides are on HRR split fm for days now, just because the players say that. Daly and the NHL need to set that straight for those that will actually listen. They aren't close, NHLPA keeps insisting in the exact same delinked format that the NHL will never accept

Old
HH
GO HABS GO!

I like Bill Daly. He basically said out loud what most of us think.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:57 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
It sounds like Daly is trying to inform players who may not be in "the know" as to what Fehr is actually up to. I have no doubt that Fehr and those very few who are involved are telling the rest a different side of things.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
No. It's not. Daly is trying to invoke a fact, and Fehr doesn't know how to handle a stiff arm/stance. Fehr doesn't understand that the owners will hold out to get what they want, and that his shock an awe as the NHLPA leader is merely a bump in the road to them.

No meaningful reply's from them is gonna find many thoughts of he's(Fehr)/they're(Players) not serious enough to move forward.

You're acting as if Fehr doesn't actually know where to go. He does, and its just as much posturing as the NHL.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:59 PM
JAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
@Russostrib: NHL's Bill Daly: "Maybe they should get a reality check" #NHL #NHLPA | http://t.co/vzubuS3E http://t.co/B3F22WB4
This just goes to show what I've been saying for months....Fehr isn't even negotiating make whole for the players, he's still on his dilinked proposals he gave in Aug.15. Wouldn't negotiating a better % for make whole be the best deal for the players? that's all the players were asking for I thought....but Fehr must have his own agenda....how can anybody still support the PA is beyond me....

Old
11-15-2012, 10:00 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
This just goes to show what I've been saying for months....Fehr isn't even negotiating make whole for the players, he's still on his dilinked proposals he gave in Aug.15. Wouldn't negotiating a better % for make whole be the best deal for the players? that's all the players were asking for I thought....but Fehr must have his own agenda....how can anybody still support the PA is beyond me....
It is definitely as if Fehr has his on personal agenda. He is supposed to have the players best interests at hand but that is not the case.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:01 PM
JAX

Quote:
You're acting as if Fehr doesn't actually know where to go. He does, and its just as much posturing as the NHL.
Where is he going....into next year I'm assuming...

Old
11-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post

I don't know how you can argue that it's different. Fehr telling Bettman he doesn't know how the two sides can proceed doesn't mean he's clueless. He's letting Bettman know that the players have given all they possibly can and they can't offer more so it's up to the Bettman to make the next move. Except that Bettman turned it around and let Fehr know that he when he said he was done putting proposals on the table, he meant it and that if Fehr couldn't think of way for the two sides to proceed then maybe they should take 2 week break so Fehr can figure it out and get back to him.

Regardless of who you side with, they're both playing the same strategy here. It's hard to find fault with Fehr's comment and not acknowledge that Bettman's suggestion is along the same lines.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Stuck in Socal

Daly's statement is either going to be a hit or miss.

You could honestly make a tv drama out of this...

Old
11-15-2012, 10:06 PM
meedle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lets look at reality a sec, US might go off a fiscal cliff by jan1. There could be another recession in the USA very soon. Israel is attacking gaza again causing uncertainty in the world. Europe has all that debt crisis going on. Yet people still want guaranteed raises hehehe. and make owners take on much more risk than they need to.

Old
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Steve Fehr: "We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. So we are ready to meet."

Old
Orrthebest

Quote:

I think your wrong and for the first time in months I have hope that a deal may save this season.

Closed Thread