Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

2012-2013 Anaheim Ducks Prospect Update

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
I liked what I saw out of Shinkaruk, tonight. This draft is just disgusting.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Yeah, I thought he was good. Sissons too.

I wasn't very impressed with Yakupov, but to be fair, he was targetted all night.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Exit Dose

He looked better in the earlier games. I'd chalk it up to a bad night.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Dumba seems to play a style that is better suited to a bigger player, and sometimes I'm not sure about his decisions.
This was the reason i was so turned off by him. I see him having major injuries because he doesnt have the body needed for his style.

Quote:
With the highend talent and depth that this draft has, I cannot wait to see what the Ducks' scouts can grab. Deepest draft since Madden came in, that's forsure.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
This was the reason i was so turned off by him. I see him having major injuries because he doesnt have the body needed for his style.
I can see where you're coming from there. Good player though, but I'm thankful there were other options. He could have been a risk.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

So, I just got back from the rink. As I was headed to the ice, I met a friend of mine who's now working in the youth programs of our local DEL team. The team had made public an affiliation with the Anaheim Ducks back in the Brian Burke days, but it was never something really visible, and I didn't know whether it was still in effect. Anyway, knowing I'm a huge Ducks fan and know my 2 cents, he quickly introduced me to a co-worker and youth coach, who had been part of the staff at the Ducks' prospect camp this summer. We talked for a few moments about who he thought stood out there. I know, it's quite a bit outdated, but I thought I'd let you guys know, anyway. He generally felt the younger guys made more of an impression on him, like Lindholm, but most of all our camp-invite Ludvig Karlsson and especially Nic Kerdiles, who he was very high on. He told me he read on his facebook that he had some kind of issues, but didn't know any details and I got to clear that entire NCAA suspension mess up for him. Nothing groundbreaking, obviously, in the short talk headed for the ice, but it was definitely a nice surprise to find some connections to the Ducks this close by.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Exit Dose

It's early in the game, but Dumba looks more disappointing every time I see him.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

I remember certain blogger raving about him...

Old
11-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Exit Dose

Which blogger?

Old
11-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Agreed. Dumba hasn't impressed. You can see the skill at times, but the game isn't that great.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Exit Dose

He's been even worse in the 2nd. I have no idea what was going through his head letting that Russian forward in. Laying out the welcome mat.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I've been pretty impressed with Reinhart though. I just think he needs to improve his mobility a bit. A quicker first step would help a lot.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Exit Dose

Is it just me or are they not giving Reinhart much ice time in the 2nd?

Old
11-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Is it just me or are they not giving Reinhart much ice time in the 2nd?
It's not just you. I feel like I've been seeing too much of Dumba and Pouliot.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Exit Dose

I don't think I've seen Wotherspoon out there. I don't get it.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Which blogger?
Daniel from AC. Heavily criticized Ducks mgmt for taking Lindholm over Dumba, several times.

EDIT: And I think there was pre-draft article, something like: "Dumba is our guy". Or something in that tone.

Last edited by Lord Flashheart: 11-16-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old
11-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Exit Dose

Maybe he should put up a petition to have Martin Madden fired. Sure he stocked our prospect pool with great talent, but where is the franchise center? Fire Madden!

Old
11-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
Daniel from AC. Heavily criticized Ducks mgmt for taking Lindholm over Dumba, several times.

EDIT: And I think there was pre-draft article, something like: "Dumba is our guy". Or something in that tone.
It's what happens when people read about prospects too much and get the impression they've learned all there is to know to make such decisions. Ducks management and scouting staff get paid to make their evaluations and get things right. When fans like us read all the reports we get, the lines sometimes get blurry, and the meaning of a consensus becomes entirely lost to some. To a degree, I am sure it happens to all of us, but somebody wrighting for a blog really needs to know his limitations in terms of insight. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing on a pick, even early after, but noone should ever forget how meaningless pre-draft rankings end up over time.

Obviously, there's so many words left unspoken regarding how Dumba and Lindholm turn out, but it's quite remarkable how quickly Lindholm has changed a lot of minds since being drafted not even half a year ago. Reaches usually are treated like bad picks for a long time by other fans, and Lindholm receives great reviews.

As it stands now, the Ducks management were simply Hampus-hipsters - they liked him (a lot) before he became cool to the general public, and might be rewarded wealthily for it. And that's what good scouting does, and what general consensus isn't capable of.

Last edited by Vipers31: 11-16-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Hampus-Hipsters does sound better than Lindholm-hipsters, doesn't it?
Old
11-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Maybe he should put up a petition to have Martin Madden fired. Sure he stocked our prospect pool with great talent, but where is the franchise center? Fire Madden!
Sounds resonable. Fire Madden!

Old
11-16-2012, 09:51 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Hampus hipster. I like it.

Better than Swedish stoners.

I wasn't on the Dumba hype train, but I did like Trouba. The ones I wanted, though, were Forsberg and Grigorenko. Lindholm is looking to be worth it so far though.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Hockey Duckie

I don't where to put this, but since it pertains to Kerdiles somewhat I'll put it here. A UCLA five star rookie player was re-instated to play to miss only 10% of the games played.

"According to the facts of the case, which were agreed upon by the university and the NCAA staff, Muhammad accepted travel and lodging during unofficial visits to member schools. NCAA rules, which member schools create, state that student-athletes cannot receive benefits based on their athletic ability. NCAA amateurism rules are in place so that when student-athletes step onto the court, they are competing against other student-athletes who have met the same standards. "
- http://ucla.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1437530

So ummm...I thought Kerdiles' situation was much weaker than this, but he's supposed to miss about a third of his games? Did I miss something here?

Old
11-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Force951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
I don't where to put this, but since it pertains to Kerdiles somewhat I'll put it here. A UCLA five star rookie player was re-instated to play to miss only 10% of the games played.

"According to the facts of the case, which were agreed upon by the university and the NCAA staff, Muhammad accepted travel and lodging during unofficial visits to member schools. NCAA rules, which member schools create, state that student-athletes cannot receive benefits based on their athletic ability. NCAA amateurism rules are in place so that when student-athletes step onto the court, they are competing against other student-athletes who have met the same standards. "
- http://ucla.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1437530

So ummm...I thought Kerdiles' situation was much weaker than this, but he's supposed to miss about a third of his games? Did I miss something here?
There were a few issues regarding Muhammad's suspension. The main issue was a family friend paid for a couple of his unofficial visits to Duke and North Carolina. Before he paid for those visits he contacted both schools to make sure it was alright and was told so. After he made it clear he wasn't going to Duke the NCAA got a complaint and got involved. According to the rules he should have never been suspended for this though, since all the proper forms were filled out.

Also there are reports that the boyfriend of one of the lawyers was overheard on a flight years ago talking about the case. He stated that they were going to suspend him no matter what because they were sure he was dirty. It didn't matter if they had the evidence or not. The person who overheard this sent out emails and signed an affidavit about it well before he was trouble with the NCAA so it painted them in a corner.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
There were a few issues regarding Muhammad's suspension. The main issue was a family friend paid for a couple of his unofficial visits to Duke and North Carolina. Before he paid for those visits he contacted both schools to make sure it was alright and was told so. After he made it clear he wasn't going to Duke the NCAA got a complaint and got involved. According to the rules he should have never been suspended for this though, since all the proper forms were filled out.

Also there are reports that the boyfriend of one of the lawyers was overheard on a flight years ago talking about the case. He stated that they were going to suspend him no matter what because they were sure he was dirty. It didn't matter if they had the evidence or not. The person who overheard this sent out emails and signed an affidavit about it well before he was trouble with the NCAA so it painted them in a corner.
I'm still lost. If everything you said in the first paragraph is true, then why was he penalized for 3 games and cash?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Still don't think he's a top 10 talent but Will Carrier is third in QMJHL scoring. He has more points than Mackinnon, Grigorenko, Erne, Drouin and he still got left out of ISS's top 30. Something's gotta be up with that kid. When I watched him he looked great.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Force951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
I'm still lost. If everything you said in the first paragraph is true, then why was he penalized for 3 games and cash?
Because the NCAA was out to get him from the start, then realized it couldn't prove he did anything wrong.

Closed Thread