HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 WJC Russian Roster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
  #201
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Fulcrum is right that improvements in nutritional standards based on increased wealth and access to plentiful and nutritious food (going back as recently as the 1950's, famines occurred in some parts of the country) have increased human growth and health, so that more taller and heavier people will emerge, but also, the average is what falls into the middle range of the population. There are always taller and shorter people as a significant part of the population when you move away from the median. Also, Russia is a country of 140 million, so population genetics dictates that there will be many thousands or millions of young men at or about 185 centimeters.
This is true however, when you look at countrys like Latvia and Finland where average man stands between 178-181 cm and you look at their athletes, many of their teams are smallish which means they do a poor job generally of developing taller players. They most like shun them from invites to youth National camps instead of working and developing them because perhaps their size and awkwardness makes them not nearly as developed a product as some of the smaller quicker players.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:45 AM
  #202
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Its going to be a tough decision, Makarov or Vasilevski? Makarov is inconsistant in the WHL but has been pristine at the international level thus far...

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:23 AM
  #203
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
So, after the SSS, what do you guys think will the be the roster?

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:54 AM
  #204
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
This is true however, when you look at countrys like Latvia and Finland where average man stands between 178-181 cm and you look at their athletes, many of their teams are smallish which means they do a poor job generally of developing taller players. They most like shun them from invites to youth National camps instead of working and developing them because perhaps their size and awkwardness makes them not nearly as developed a product as some of the smaller quicker players.
A lot of the taller guys in the Baltic countries end up in Basketball, they have an excellent basketball culture and programs there.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:00 AM
  #205
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
So, after the SSS, what do you guys think will the be the roster?
Kosov-Sigarev-Yakupov
IMO, Kosov is exactly what is needed for 1st line- a workoholic who will dish out some passes

Zlobin-Grigorenko-Kucherov
Kucherov or death to Varnakov

Slepyshev-Khokhlochev-Kapustin
I think those 3 would work well together

Nichushkin-Tkachyov-Shalunov

Shenfeld-13th forward

Yarullin-Naumenkov
Mironov-Nesterov
Zadorov-Sergeev
Dyblenko-Diakov

Vasilevski
Makarov
Ustinskiy

It's sad to leave out guys like Zhafyarov and Mozer, but I can't say that they've shown what expected. Then there are also guys like Zharkov, Zykov, Kadeikin who could be worthy.

I fully realize that Varnakov has different thoughts about it, (like inviting D Vasilevski and not inviting Kucherov) but that is the way I see it.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
  #206
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
A lot of the taller guys in the Baltic countries end up in Basketball, they have an excellent basketball culture and programs there.
Just in Lithuania, in Latvia there is some passion but I believe hockey is either # 1 or close, plus they are not very good at basketball lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Kosov-Sigarev-Yakupov
IMO, Kosov is exactly what is needed for 1st line- a workoholic who will dish out some passes

Zlobin-Grigorenko-Kucherov
Kucherov or death to Varnakov

Slepyshev-Khokhlochev-Kapustin
I think those 3 would work well together

Nichushkin-Tkachyov-Shalunov

Shenfeld-13th forward

Yarullin-Naumenkov
Mironov-Nesterov
Zadorov-Sergeev
Dyblenko-Diakov

Vasilevski
Makarov
Ustinskiy

It's sad to leave out guys like Zhafyarov and Mozer, but I can't say that they've shown what expected. Then there are also guys like Zharkov, Zykov, Kadeikin who could be worthy.

I fully realize that Varnakov has different thoughts about it, (like inviting D Vasilevski and not inviting Kucherov) but that is the way I see it.
Do you really think Shenfeld is more talented then Buchnevich or is it just a matter of experiance?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:53 PM
  #207
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
This is true however, when you look at countrys like Latvia and Finland where average man stands between 178-181 cm and you look at their athletes, many of their teams are smallish which means they do a poor job generally of developing taller players. They most like shun them from invites to youth National camps instead of working and developing them because perhaps their size and awkwardness makes them not nearly as developed a product as some of the smaller quicker players.
Latvia and Finland have high standards of living, but they also have small populations, and, accordingly, significantly smaller talent pools. I think both countries do an excellent job of developing available talent.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
  #208
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Just in Lithuania, in Latvia there is some passion but I believe hockey is either # 1 or close, plus they are not very good at basketball lol.


Do you really think Shenfeld is more talented then Buchnevich or is it just a matter of experiance?
No, I think Buchnevich is more talented, but Shenfeld would be more helpful at this point. Also Shenfeld is much more of a big rink player than small, so he didn't show as much at SSS. So yes, I think his experience will be more helpful.

I don't see Buch stealing a spot from the experienced wingers when you have guys like Mozer and Zhafyarov in line.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:06 AM
  #209
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Well, Varnakov again has stated that Kucherov is most likely not going, but Slepyshev is...is he and idiot or what?

cska78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
  #210
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Well, Varnakov again has stated that Kucherov is most likely not going, but Slepyshev is...is he and idiot or what?
Idiot.

Although last year Kucherov had a poor WJC to his standard, mostly because he was out of shape.

Varnakov did say that he thinks Kucherov can light it up, so if he does - he might get an invite. There's still hope.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:50 PM
  #211
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.
 
KareemTrustfund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ceti Alpha 6
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 50
Can someone fill me in on this whole Kucherov not getting an invite thing. Whats the story behind it?

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:27 PM
  #212
coursy17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Varnakov is garbage. I have little hope for the team he will assemble. Played Grigorenko 12 and 8 minutes respectively when Russia faced Quebec.

Absolutely pathetic.
As much as Russia wanted to make a statement, you have to keep in mind this is also a tryout. Grigs doesnt need to tryout he is on the team so minutes were probably distributed to "bubble" players. However if kucherov doesn't make this team then yes varnakov is garbage. oh and if they play that trap in the wjc and limit the offense they have I think it will be a very disappointing world juniors for russia. just my opinion hopefully nobody comes at me. Although canada russia usa in one group i cant wait.

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:37 PM
  #213
coursy17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Can someone fill me in on this whole Kucherov not getting an invite thing. Whats the story behind it?
Probably because he left Russia came to Canada and got injured. He's healthy now but ive noticed over the years that russia doesnt always pick people who come to NA like they think they are better over there or something and is probably why in the last 20 years russia has only won it 4 times and in the last 9 years they've won it once. Everyone says oh you cant just look at the stats blah blah blah over here in russia they are playing men and in chl they are playing boys. etc. Well at the end of the day 9 times out of 10 they kids in russia werent wanted in NA and the russians in NA were wanted in NA so maybe they should start using their heads and get over themselves. this has gone on way to long and im sure a lot of people are going to be pissed lmao so ttyl

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:09 PM
  #214
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Can someone fill me in on this whole Kucherov not getting an invite thing. Whats the story behind it?
The coach said because he didn't have a preseason. Although if he rips the Q apart, they might consider him again.

Then again, today he said that they will not consider anyone who didn't play in SSS.

so.. who knows, really

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:30 AM
  #215
coursy17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
The coach said because he didn't have a preseason. Although if he rips the Q apart, they might consider him again.

Then again, today he said that they will not consider anyone who didn't play in SSS.

so.. who knows, really
Kucherov is on the trading block in Quebec despite 10 pts in 6 games apparently he is lazy so that will probably seal his world junior fate. As for Varnakov sayin anyone who didnt play in SSS wont be considered, does that include Slepyshev? I feel like he'll be on the team and I think Varnakov likes him so maybe everyone from SSS and Slepyshev?

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:14 AM
  #216
coursy17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Kosov-Sigarev-Yakupov
IMO, Kosov is exactly what is needed for 1st line- a workoholic who will dish out some passes

Zlobin-Grigorenko-Kucherov
Kucherov or death to Varnakov

Slepyshev-Khokhlochev-Kapustin
I think those 3 would work well together

Nichushkin-Tkachyov-Shalunov

Shenfeld-13th forward

Yarullin-Naumenkov
Mironov-Nesterov
Zadorov-Sergeev
Dyblenko-Diakov

Vasilevski
Makarov
Ustinskiy

It's sad to leave out guys like Zhafyarov and Mozer, but I can't say that they've shown what expected. Then there are also guys like Zharkov, Zykov, Kadeikin who could be worthy.

I fully realize that Varnakov has different thoughts about it, (like inviting D Vasilevski and not inviting Kucherov) but that is the way I see it.
With kucherov not going to be invited would you move shalunov there? who fills shalunovs spot on the 3rd line? who becomes the extra forward? and no prokhorkin? playing well in the A.....

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:49 AM
  #217
coursy17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Enough with the comments and trying to be russian. I like to have fun making teams so I'll get out of this thread but heres my shot.

1st Line
Shalunov Sigarev Yakupov
Shalunov n yakupov had good chemistry and sigarev has been the best forward in both the challenge in august and the SSS
Slepyshev Griggo Kapustin
I wasnt sure if i even wanted kapustin i think hes overrated but with the Kucherov hiatus (dumbest move, could be costly especially to get grigo going) i felt kapustin could fill in
Zlobin Koko Nichushkin
Im aware nichuskin is young and a bit of a puck hog but without kucherov on the second line, kapustin now has that spot and nichuskins skill is undenyable and he was invited to the SSS so Varnakov must like him. I think this line could be the best line
Shenfeld Yakimov Kosov
Initially I would have had zharkov in shenfelds spot to create a huge skilled line. I just dont see zharkov making it so now this line has a lot of speed and size to it.
extra-tkachev.
I had him in the 4th line spot before i decided Yakimov. with the points tkachev is putting up he could fill in on any line nicely if one of the centres were to be struggling

Defense
this is the weak spot and theres various combinations possible heres mine

Yarullin Naumenkov
Dyakov Nesterov
Zadorov Sergeev
Dyblenko
*Zadorov might not make it and i think mironov would take his spot. I feel like his size will be vital unlike Pedan whos big and useless Zadorov has substance to his game.

Vasha
Makarov

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:54 AM
  #218
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,807
vCash: 500
Would like both Zadorov and Mironov.

Why the extra forward? Did Varnakov say he's going Canadian? Normally we just do 12-8 not 13-7.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:35 AM
  #219
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Would like both Zadorov and Mironov.

Why the extra forward? Did Varnakov say he's going Canadian? Normally we just do 12-8 not 13-7.
it's smarter to do 13-7 imho. you can leave with 6 -dmen easy if a forward get's injured getting by with 11 forwards is harder.

cska78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:45 AM
  #220
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursy17 View Post
Enough with the comments and trying to be russian. I like to have fun making teams so I'll get out of this thread but heres my shot.

1st Line
Shalunov Sigarev Yakupov
Shalunov n yakupov had good chemistry and sigarev has been the best forward in both the challenge in august and the SSS
Slepyshev Griggo Kapustin
I wasnt sure if i even wanted kapustin i think hes overrated but with the Kucherov hiatus (dumbest move, could be costly especially to get grigo going) i felt kapustin could fill in
Zlobin Koko Nichushkin
Im aware nichuskin is young and a bit of a puck hog but without kucherov on the second line, kapustin now has that spot and nichuskins skill is undenyable and he was invited to the SSS so Varnakov must like him. I think this line could be the best line
Shenfeld Yakimov Kosov
Initially I would have had zharkov in shenfelds spot to create a huge skilled line. I just dont see zharkov making it so now this line has a lot of speed and size to it.
extra-tkachev.
I had him in the 4th line spot before i decided Yakimov. with the points tkachev is putting up he could fill in on any line nicely if one of the centres were to be struggling

Defense
this is the weak spot and theres various combinations possible heres mine

Yarullin Naumenkov
Dyakov Nesterov
Zadorov Sergeev
Dyblenko
*Zadorov might not make it and i think mironov would take his spot. I feel like his size will be vital unlike Pedan whos big and useless Zadorov has substance to his game.

Vasha
Makarov
I disagree that Nichushkin is a "puck hog." That is what the homer broadcasters in Canada kept saying, but it doesn't make it true. He took the puck at the blue line and consistently drove hard to the net for a high percentage scoring chance. That is the strength of his game, and he is going to be a great player in the future, IMHO.

I like Zadorov, but if I had to choose between the two, I would take Mironov ahead of Zadorov at this stage. I don't think size is as important a factor on the larger ice. Mironov is getting plenty of KHL ice time with Dinamo.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  #221
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
I think both Zadorov and Mironov deserve to be there over Dyblenko.

Also, I think Tkachev should make it also.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:33 PM
  #222
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I think both Zadorov and Mironov deserve to be there over Dyblenko.

Also, I think Tkachev should make it also.
From what I saw in August and at the SSS, I agree with you.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:21 AM
  #223
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I think both Zadorov and Mironov deserve to be there over Dyblenko.

Also, I think Tkachev should make it also.
absolutely - PK specialist and speed to burn with decent hands.

cska78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
  #224
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
I would rather start Tkachev than Yakimov (if take him at all!). Yakimov lack of speed will be exposed on the big ice much more.

I think this Defense is A LOT better than last year, even with Yarullin and Nesterov's blunders. I generally like everyone on that Defense line and I am glad Pedan is not even considered. Last year the only KHLer was Arzamastsev.

Also, as the SSS showed- anyone on this team can score. The stats for Team Russia were very balanced. Even if teams manage to contain Yakupov or Grigs everyone else is very capable on putting the puck in the net. I like that.

Like I said before, overall this is a much more balanced team than in the past few years, even if it's missing the sharp edge of Kuznetsov or Tarasenko.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:53 AM
  #225
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I would rather start Tkachev than Yakimov (if take him at all!). Yakimov lack of speed will be exposed on the big ice much more.

I think this Defense is A LOT better than last year, even with Yarullin and Nesterov's blunders. I generally like everyone on that Defense line and I am glad Pedan is not even considered. Last year the only KHLer was Arzamastsev.

Also, as the SSS showed- anyone on this team can score. The stats for Team Russia were very balanced. Even if teams manage to contain Yakupov or Grigs everyone else is very capable on putting the puck in the net. I like that.

Like I said before, overall this is a much more balanced team than in the past few years, even if it's missing the sharp edge of Kuznetsov or Tarasenko.
I really love the way the defense played at the SSS, especially the last half of the tournament. They skated so well and handled the puck beautifully, and you could see their confidence growing throughout the tournament. They appeared to be "buying into the system," much the way Coach Bill's team did in the WC's in the spring. They not only cleared the defensive zone effectively, but also started moving it up to the forwards so that it could get in the offensive zone. The more time in the offensive zone the better, because only good things can happen. If the defense plays this well in Ufa, Russia has a really good chance, IMHO. Goaltending is really solid, too. I would have even liked to have seen more of Ustinskiy, because he looked really good in his only appearance.

Also, I can't say enough about Sigarev. He came into the August series really unheralded, but he has been at times the best and most effective forward, IMO. Tkachev is not far behind if at all. I also liked Zhafyarov (so nifty with the puck), Shenfeld, and Moser, all of whom may be left by the wayside for Ufa.


Last edited by Yakushev72: 11-21-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: addition
Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.