HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 4th: and here we wait in trade-completion limbo

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Blanton sucks and Liriano is a threat to implode at any given moment.
Blanton isn't that bad. Perfectly fine #4-5 starter. Can give you innings and an ERA in mid 4's or so and he'll come cheap. Has a pretty sexy K/BB ratio. Wouldn't want Liriano.

I would of course prefer someone else though.

Old
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
RBIs are more a measure of the team than they are the individual player. It's not Mike Trout's fault that people wren't on base for him to drive in as often as they were for Cabrera. .
In this case, lets ignore for a second that Cabrera was way better with runners on than Trout (on average, regardless who had more opportunities total)...total RBIs still matter for a 'most valuable player' because if one keeps driving in runs, they are, in theory, more valuable to that team's success.

It's not Miguel's fault that he took advantage of the opportunities he was given.

Old
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Blanton isn't that bad. Perfectly fine #4-5 starter. Can give you innings and an ERA in mid 4's or so and he'll come cheap. Has a pretty sexy K/BB ratio. Wouldn't want Liriano.

Guthrie might be a good option.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Blanton sucks and Liriano is a threat to implode at any given moment.
I put Blanton at the bottom of the list because I felt he was the least interesting out of the bunch. I like his durability, and that he posted his best so/bb and so/9 (since 2010) with the dodgers down the stretch which leaves me to believe he's got some gas left in the tank instead of trending downwards as many do around his age. Although intangibles is never an argument that can be won in these times, I think his experience would be usefull much like Buerle.

Liriano is a wildcard. You have no idea which guy you're going to get. However a 1 year, incentive driven contract could yield some interesting results.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Guthrie might be a good option.
Sure, but not at his nutty asking price. Was asking for 3/34 earlier this off-season. Of course, he won't get anywhere near that but for Guthrie to make sense for us, he has to come on a 1 year deal and he will likely get more than that.

I think it has to be a wait and see approach for AA. Once some of the guys start signing and teams lose the ability to add some payroll, maybe you try to look for a bargain on the open market. There are always some good left over guys that get under looked.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
In this case, lets ignore for a second that Cabrera was way better with runners on than Trout (on average, regardless who had more opportunities total)...total RBIs still matter for a 'most valuable player' because if one keeps driving in runs, they are, in theory, more valuable to that team's success.

It's not Miguel's fault that he took advantage of the opportunities he was given.
As it has already been argued earlier:

Much of the difference simply reflects the fact that Cabrera hits third in the batting order, and had more opportunities to hit with runners on base. His 89 R.B.I.ís with runners in scoring position came in 205 plate appearances, a rate of 0.43 R.B.I.ís per opportunity. Troutís 53 R.B.I.ís came in just 135 opportunities, since he is the Angelsí leadoff hitter. That yields a similar rate of production: 0.39 R.B.I.ís per plate appearance with runners in scoring position.

Got any more arguments for Cabrera over Trout? I've yet to see an argument that actually sticks.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:13 AM
HappyGilmourr

pretty crazy if the mayor of miami is actually getting involved in all of this... Reyes is getting his physical tomorrow, this better be done by tomorrow. In the scenario that the trade is veto'd , AA has a lot of work to do...

Old
11-16-2012, 12:14 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post

but how is that something that gives him points over trout? How is it Trout's fault that he didn't have as many RBI opportunities as Cabrera?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Scion

I recommend everyone listen to this interview by Keith Law, it is especially relevant to the Trout vs. Cabrera debate, and significance of the "Triple-Crown."

http://audio.weei.com/a/66643620/kei...ese-people.htm

Old
11-16-2012, 12:19 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

Blanton gets hit a lot (and it's gotten worse in the last couple years), and in a smaller stadium like RC, that's probably going to mean more HRs.

He's a prime candidate to start getting lit up on the scoreboard, because you can't give up that many hits and escape damage forever.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Blanton gets hit a lot (and it's gotten worse in the last couple years), and in a smaller stadium like RC, that's probably going to mean more HRs.

He's a prime candidate to start getting lit up on the scoreboard, because you can't give up that many hits and escape damage forever.
Sure, fair point.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Scion

Liriano's SWS% and K/9 are awfully enticing. If he ever gets that BB/9 rate down he could put up a significant season.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Liriano's SWS% and K/9 are awfully enticing. If he ever gets that BB/9 rate down he could put up a significant season.
Mechanics are a mess. Hard to think a team can fix him at this point. Maybe he puts together a good season but will likely always remain inconsistent.

I don't think he makes sense for us IMO.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Scion

Quote:
Mechanics are a mess. Hard to think a team can fix him at this point. Maybe he puts together a good season but will likely always remain inconsistent.

You aren't wrong on either points.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:11 AM
TheKule

My dream acquisitions would be Melky and Haren.

Haren's value was set by the Angels when they declined his 15mil/1 year option. I think he's easily worth that. The man is 1 year removed from 5 straight dominant 225IP type seasons. His back poses an injury risk, a risk that will create a very exploitable market inefficiency. Same reasoning applies to McCarthy.

Melky will go well below market value, we all know why. Gives us an LF thumper at limited risk. The Rajai/Emilio platoon will always be available as a backup.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:44 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
No Brian Kenny said Miguel Cabrera was a rally killer.
no, brian kenny said that the double play is the rally killer.

"cabrera grounded into 28 double plays, the ultimate rally killer."

Old
11-16-2012, 05:57 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Does Happ have options?

Old
11-16-2012, 06:18 AM
AndMat*

Is it Possible to get a tax protection written into Their contract? I read somewhere that Carlos Delgado had one with Toronto.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

I agree, for the most part, BUT he's a guy with a great arm and lets face it, we're talking about a number 5 option. Number 5 starters aren't exactly the model of consistency nor do you need them to be. If he can even lower the walks just a bit, he'd be a hell of a great number 5. It's very unlikely as his mechanics are indeed a mess but nonetheless, the point remains that we are talking about a fifth starter. If the guy can give you 6 innings at 3 runs or less you take that every single time as the fifth man. I still think Happ would produce the same.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:

Same with Buehrle?

Old
11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
GeneralSwell

I don't see any reason for Selig to veto the trade. The damage to the Miami franchise has already been done. Forcing the players to stay there won't change the perception of fans or future free agents.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Is it Possible to get a tax protection written into Their contract? I read somewhere that Carlos Delgado had one with Toronto.
Delgado's agent had it put in his contract in Florida, not Toronto, and it was because the Marlins wouldn't give him a no-trade clause. But sure, it's something an agent can negotiate. Doubtful any of the new arrivals have it though.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Does Happ have options?
Yes he does have one option left so he can be sent down. Whether he needs to be depends on the who the 6th arm is. (Ogando Ogando Ogando )

Old
11-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Yes he does have one option left so he can be sent down. Whether he needs to be depends on the who the 6th arm is. (Ogando Ogando Ogando )
I would love ogando, I said a couple threads back that he is a prime candidate to blow up and I would have been fine with him as the #4...but with the trade, I would be fine sending him to Buffalo (if he has options left) and starting until he's hit around 110 innings. At that point if he still hasn't been called up, you move him back to the pen and Hutch should be ready to come back, if not Ogando can still be that swingman, moving to the pen just limits his innings while we stretch him out.

JPA for Ogando makes too much sense not to happen (and I do t think we've actually heard it from the media so...lol)

Old
11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
no, brian kenny said that the double play is the rally killer.

"cabrera grounded into 28 double plays, the ultimate rally killer."
That comment is actually worse.

Closed Thread