HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Jamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If he wants to go, let him go. That said facing the checking that he is at the AHL level is much better for him in the long run IMO.
Kind of what I think. Becoming a leader in the AHL with players you will be playing with in the NHL. Facing the physicality of grown men and goons trying to stay in the game. All this would help more in the NHL imo then pwning 17 year olds on a big ice surface for 2 weeks in a league 2 levels down

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Imagine his career looked like this:

World Champion - Gold
World Cup - Gold
Olympics - Gold
World Juniors - The Edmonton Oilers would not allow him to go during the lockout, despite being eligible, because they felt he should play in the AHL.
I dont see a problem with that resume to be honest. Looks like the resume of someone who was too good for junior at the age of 18 so moved on in his pro career

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Jooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
No one can argue that the WJC will give him better competition than the AHL. At the end of the day though the AHL is just that the AHL.
How is it possible that the competition will be better when 80% of the players at the U20's are going to spend at least one year in the AHL or another league a level below the NHL? This year the AHL is loaded with young NHL talent like Granlund, Coyle, our kids and others. So former U20 stars aren't solid competition now?

I think people overrate the impact of this tournament (at this stage in his career) to justify the following:

1. Want to see Canada bring home gold
2. Want to see RNH showcased on National stage

If such tournaments are so good for the development of young players we wouldn't be waiting on Kyle Turris and Snowpants Gagner still.

Jooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooked View Post
How is it possible that the competition will be better when 80% of the players at the U20's are going to spend at least one year in the AHL or another league a level below the NHL? This year the AHL is loaded with young NHL talent like Granlund, Coyle, our kids and others. So former U20 stars aren't solid competition now?

I think people overrate the impact of this tournament (at this stage in his career) to justify the following:

If such tournaments are so good for the development of young players we wouldn't be waiting on Kyle Turris and Snowpants Gagner still.
I'm amazed that some people think his "development" should factor into the decision at all.

AUAIOMRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
I'm amazed that some people think his "development" should factor into the decision at all.
No kidding.

If anything the WJC will assist in his development by putting him in a leading role in a pressure packed situation on the international stage. It would be nice for him to have that type of experience before being thrown into the Stanley Cup Playoff pressure cooker for the first time.

Sure, the competition in the AHL may be better, but this is a rare opportunity for him over a reasonably short term, and I highly, highly doubt that this will negatively affect his development in any sense.

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:29 PM
rockinghockey

I think that they should as it would be a great experience for him, it would be nice to see Canada with the best possible squad.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
lawrence

Is Nugent Hopkins elligible to play for team Canada this winter?

If he is Elligable, will the Oilers allow him to be released to Team Canada? Just curious, I think it will be huge if Team Canada had him. Bigger then Russia with Yakupov. Damn you guys are stacked.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

He is eligible, not sure if he'll be going though. Don't forget Klefbom for Sweden either Gernat would've been there if not for his injury as well.

11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
He is eligible and if there is still a lockout it is starting to sound like he'll go:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/11...hockey-canada/

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
lawrence

OH gosh, that good news.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:01 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
He is eligible and if there is still a lockout it is starting to sound like he'll go:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/11...hockey-canada/
Thanks. I was looking for something like this. The date is slowly creeping up I was sure someone had questioned him about it.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:51 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

meh, I'd rather have him playing in the AHL than going over to Russia and playing in the WJC...seem like another step down from professional hockey where he's playing against 30-year olds

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Velocirapture
The Evil User

30 year olds who's career hasn't taken them higher than the AHL, which RNH has already proven is too low a stage for him?

May as well go do the international stuff if he has to play against lesser competition.

Velocirapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
meh, I'd rather have him playing in the AHL than going over to Russia and playing in the WJC...seem like another step down from professional hockey where he's playing against 30-year olds
I generally tend to agree but who really cares if he goes, I think it's better for him to stay but it's not going to make him worse if he goes. I just don't understand everyone saying how AWESOME this will be for him and how much it will boost his career, I think RNH is going to be a freaking all-star with or without a little kiddie tournament. Will be nice for us to see as Team Canada fans, but I'm an Oilers fan first and don't really see what the big benefit of him going is from this side. Obviously on the Team Canada side I just want to see him obliterate this tournament and basically have every single powerplay be a blank cheque for him.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:04 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirapture View Post
30 year olds who's career hasn't taken them higher than the AHL, which RNH has already proven is too low a stage for him?

May as well go do the international stuff if he has to play against lesser competition.
90% of this tournament probably won't play in the NHL. I think the rate in the AHL right now is a little higher with way stronger defenders and checkers to get him more ready. I don't really get that logic. The logic here isn't really logic, it's emotional and nationalistic pride. I'm cool with that and I also have it but don't twist it into some argument where playing against, basically, kids like 10 times below his skill level is making him a better hockey player.

In all reality, spending Christmas around the apartment and hanging out together with Schultz, Eberle and Hall all the time and becoming a really tight-knit group is probably more conducive to a winning atmosphere overall for the Oilers sake in the long run. Is playing with Boone Jenner and Scott Harrington for two or three weeks making RNH a "winner?" A lot of it is TSN narrative from the 2005 team. The reason those guys all became unreal players is because they were unreal players and prospects, playing on the WJC team isn't a magic winning potion. We want our core to be like brothers going forward and do anything to win for each other so I don't really see it from that aspect.

What gives a kid more confidence, putting up 1.5 ppg in the AHL against grown men and seeing this tournament being played in his peripherals, or putting up stupid points like a shinny game against some kids that will be in a fight for their life to even make the AHL?

Again, I know people's sense of Team Canada pride tends to take over but that's just how I view it.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I'd rather he stay in OKC but it sounds like he wants to go, so I'd let him go if I were making the call.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:05 PM
worraps
Acceptance

It's a right of passage for a player of his caliber. He should go.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Nope. The barrons are having so many damn problems. He needs to stick around the help fix the problems not run away from them.

We've got a hell of a lot more talent than we need to dominate and part of it has to do with the fact that our Barron's coach is demanding responsible 2 way play out of all of our players.

Hopkins, Eberle and Hall can't play soft minutes playing behind Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger this year. They need to learn to play responsible hockey in the AHL. If they can't do this at this level, then they never will. We need top 6 forwards who're going to score goals than they're gong to let in when it's even strength.

We can't just hope that we get tons of powerplays to rack the score up on these guys.

Remember that 3 game stretch we got last season where we didn't get a single powerplay? That'll happen again. Honestly, Hopkins doesn't deserve to play in the WJC. He's a 1st overall pick who's letting his team lose half of their games and he's playing on a team so stacked that nobody could imagine anything standing up against the at the beginning of the season.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
jadeddog

RNH isn't "letting his team lose games", what a ridiculous comment. Just ridiculous.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooked View Post

You are delusional. Youre argument makes no sense

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Baggers

I seriously doubt a few weeks in either the WJCs or the AHL is going to have a massive effect on his career one way or the other (unless he gets injured, which could happen in either case).

It's a couple of weeks.

If he wants to play in the WJCs, let him. If he feels his career is better served staying in OKC, great.

That being said, I would love to see him help Team Canada win the gold.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
I seriously doubt a few weeks in either the WJCs or the AHL is going to have a massive effect on his career one way or the other (unless he gets injured, which could happen in either case).

It's a couple of weeks.

If he wants to play in the WJCs, let him. If he feels his career is better served staying in OKC, great.

That being said, I would love to see him help Team Canada win the gold.
I just think the experience of the WJC will build more character for him.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:01 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Its not like a couple weeks of high level international hockey will ruin his development...

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:37 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I just think the experience of the WJC will build more character for him.
It's not like he's lacking in character or confidence at any point of his career. I could see this being a more reasonable explanation for a guy like Connolly last year.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Nope. The barrons are having so many damn problems. He needs to stick around the help fix the problems not run away from them.

We've got a hell of a lot more talent than we need to dominate and part of it has to do with the fact that our Barron's coach is demanding responsible 2 way play out of all of our players.

Hopkins, Eberle and Hall can't play soft minutes playing behind Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger this year. They need to learn to play responsible hockey in the AHL. If they can't do this at this level, then they never will. We need top 6 forwards who're going to score goals than they're gong to let in when it's even strength.

We can't just hope that we get tons of powerplays to rack the score up on these guys.

Remember that 3 game stretch we got last season where we didn't get a single powerplay? That'll happen again. Honestly, Hopkins doesn't deserve to play in the WJC. He's a 1st overall pick who's letting his team lose half of their games and he's playing on a team so stacked that nobody could imagine anything standing up against the at the beginning of the season.
What a joke of a post.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote