HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2012, 05:24 PM
  #101
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
That's probably why he was a runner up for OHL Dman of the year last season, rather than the winner Hopefully, since all indications show he has improved, he'll win it this season, and we can finally claim he's "upper-tier."

Sarcasm aside, it's always nice to hear opinions from fans of other teams—thanks.
When I say "upper-tier/elite" I mean an essential lock to be a good NHL player.

Again, just giving my perspective on a player that I've been able to watch a lot this season trying to shed some light on him for those who aren't able to see what I see every home game.

Very good prospect; will be invited to WJC camp, and we'll see if he makes it.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
  #102
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Bust!
All jokes aside, we all knew this was coming. It would have been nice if he slowed down rather than died out, but all players go through this especially young players first entering the pro ranks. I'm glad he's getting used to this adversity now rather than later. He'll be back on top sooner or later, it can be a real mental hurdle to over come a scoring slump for a young guy in a high level league though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I'm well aware of how Dumba and Reinhart have been playing this season. You don't need to see every game to get the idea. Same thing could be said for the majority of Canucks fan who don't get to see Corrado very often. I guarantee you've seen little of Corrado this season.

Corrado is playing well, but he's not an upper-tier/elite prospect yet.

I've seen Corrado plenty and I know exactly what he brings to the table. An above-average offensive mind, and a decent two-way game. Very good breakout guy, but needs to work on decision making when under pressure.
Really... I've heard poise is one of his strong suits. Maybe you can expand on this?

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM
  #103
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Really... I've heard poise is one of his strong suits. Maybe you can expand on this?
As stated, I think Corrado is great on the breakout and has a great outlet pass, but when he's looking for that breakout, I've seen that he can collapse under extra pressure on the forecheck. Mind you, I'm not sure I should put to much blame on him for the times I've seen him blunder because his partner is atrocious (yes, Justin Sefton. I can't stand him. Horrible).

TheOriginalSilf* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
  #104
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.
 
ThereGoesVirtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,135
vCash: 500
Looks like Jensen's hit the wall.

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:14 PM
  #105
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Looks like Jensen's hit the wall.
More so the team. Also, he was inexplicably demoted to the 4th line for 4 games following his 1G, 1A game... only the last 2 games has he been back to the 2nd line. The whole seniority thing in the SEL is incredibly frustrating. How do you demote your leading scorer to the 4th line for that long?

Tiranis is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 01:14 AM
  #106
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,335
vCash: 500
Jensen must be frustrated to hell over in Sweden. It must be like being on Team Denmark in the WJC's again to a certain extent. He just can't get a break..

Hansen 36 is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 02:13 AM
  #107
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500
I hate seeing you guys make excuses. I predicted this!

Jensen was shooting at a real high percentage, and now he's regressing to the mean. It was going to happen anyways and its really nothing to worry about.


Last edited by Wisp: 11-16-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Wisp is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 02:23 AM
  #108
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I'm well aware of how Dumba and Reinhart have been playing this season. You don't need to see every game to get the idea. Same thing could be said for the majority of Canucks fan who don't get to see Corrado very often. I guarantee you've seen little of Corrado this season.

Corrado is playing well, but he's not an upper-tier/elite prospect yet.

I've seen Corrado plenty and I know exactly what he brings to the table. An above-average offensive mind, and a decent two-way game. Very good breakout guy, but needs to work on decision making when under pressure.

Your analysis seems pretty accurate.

You have to understand though, we are talking about a 5th rounder, and among the canucks prospects he is definitely a bright spot.

Hes not a blue chipper, ie 1st pairing dman ceiling, but he has top 4 dman potential, which is pretty exciting.

ahmon is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 02:29 AM
  #109
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Your analysis seems pretty accurate.

You have to understand though, we are talking about a 5th rounder, and among the canucks prospects he is definitely a bright spot.

Hes not a blue chipper, ie 1st pairing dman ceiling, but he has top 4 dman potential, which is pretty exciting.
Oh, absolutely. I'm a fan of Corrado. Honestly, I think there's a chance he becomes and effective 2nd pairing D-man. I would of killed to get a guy like Corrado with a 5th in the Senators organization.

I'll keep you guys posted as the season progresses. Hopefully Sudbury starts winning so I can report on playoff games, as well.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:47 AM
  #110
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Oh, absolutely. I'm a fan of Corrado. Honestly, I think there's a chance he becomes and effective 2nd pairing D-man. I would of killed to get a guy like Corrado with a 5th in the Senators organization.

I'll keep you guys posted as the season progresses. Hopefully Sudbury starts winning so I can report on playoff games, as well.
Thanks for dropping by though, much appreciated!

vanuck is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:49 AM
  #111
Johnny Danger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Suisse
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
what's up with honzik? :-(

Johnny Danger is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 08:09 AM
  #112
Southern_Canuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
what's up with honzik? :-(
Got traded by Victoriaville to Cape Breton (one of the worst teams in the QMJHL) in the off-season, and also had shoulder surgery. The season began, and Cape Breton was so awful out of the gate that they fired the GM.

In Honzik's first game back after recovering from the shoulder surgery on Nov 9 against former team Victoriaville, he got smoked for 6 goals on 24 shots.

In his second start of the season on Nov 12, he made 17 saves on 20 shots and Cape Breton won 5-3.

These two results give him a 5.69 GAA and 0.795 SV% --- not too pretty.

Cape Breton is currently carrying the two veteran goalies, Honzik and Trudeau, and one rookie Bureau... it is likely that one of the veterans will eventually be released or traded.

S_C


Last edited by Southern_Canuck: 11-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Southern_Canuck is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 10:53 AM
  #113
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I hate seeing you guys make excuses. I predicted this!

Jensen was shooting at a real high percentage, and now he's regressing to the mean. It was going to happen anyways and its really nothing to worry about.
I don't see what that has to do with him spending 4 of 6 games on the 4th line barely getting any minutes. Even if he wasn't shooting at an unsustainable rate, playing 8 minutes a night on the worst or one of the worst 4th lines in the league is hardly a recipe for success.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
  #114
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't see what that has to do with him spending 4 of 6 games on the 4th line barely getting any minutes. Even if he wasn't shooting at an unsustainable rate, playing 8 minutes a night on the worst or one of the worst 4th lines in the league is hardly a recipe for success.
You probably should consider why Jensen was on the 4th line in the first place...

Hodgy is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:49 PM
  #115
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You probably should consider why Jensen was on the 4th line in the first place...
He scored 1 G, 1 A the game before he was placed on the 4th line. That's why the confusion to his assignment to the line.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:51 PM
  #116
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You probably should consider why Jensen was on the 4th line in the first place...
AV saw a rookie playing with confidence and called in some favours?

PRNuck is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
  #117
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You probably should consider why Jensen was on the 4th line in the first place...
Maybe you can enlighten us then? As mentioned, he scored 2 pts the game before he was demoted.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:03 PM
  #118
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Maybe you can enlighten us then? As mentioned, he scored 2 pts the game before he was demoted.
Are you serious? There is more to playing hockey than putting up points.

Scurr is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:23 PM
  #119
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Are you serious? There is more to playing hockey than putting up points.
Do you think he wasn't backchecking/hustling in his own end? Or perhaps not physical enough?

I agree, that I really want our prospects to develop into complete-game type of players. But I wonder if perhaps Jensen had an injury that kept him out of the top-9? Maybe he was recovering from an injury and being eased back in slowly?

Socratic Method Man is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:48 PM
  #120
brownbello
Registered User
 
brownbello's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Powell River
Country: Canada
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
Do you think he wasn't backchecking/hustling in his own end? Or perhaps not physical enough?

I agree, that I really want our prospects to develop into complete-game type of players. But I wonder if perhaps Jensen had an injury that kept him out of the top-9? Maybe he was recovering from an injury and being eased back in slowly?

If you are trying to figure out his playing time/line selection as if he were playing in North America then we'll all be really frustrated. The SEL has a seniority mentality were even while playing really well seeing a rookie get even more than 3 mins of ice time is really good. I don't understand it fully but guys with more experience will always get pushed up to the top lines even if there play doesn't deserve it. Jensen is not really being outplayed by anyone on his team, he's just a rookie therefor he gets demoted. That's all there really is to it.

brownbello is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 04:25 PM
  #121
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Are you serious? There is more to playing hockey than putting up points.
There certainly is, but at the end of the day putting up more goals than the other team wins you the game. You don't often put your leading goal scorer (who at the time was T-2nd in the league) on the 4th line when he is still scoring goals. It's an odd thing.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 06:14 PM
  #122
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,626
vCash: 500
Tomorrow night (Saturday Nov 17th) at 6:00 on the big ten network Joseph Labate and the Wisconsin Badgers take on Nick Bjustad and the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 06:33 PM
  #123
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
Got traded by Victoriaville to Cape Breton (one of the worst teams in the QMJHL) in the off-season, and also had shoulder surgery. The season began, and Cape Breton was so awful out of the gate that they fired the GM.

In Honzik's first game back after recovering from the shoulder surgery on Nov 9 against former team Victoriaville, he got smoked for 6 goals on 24 shots.

In his second start of the season on Nov 12, he made 17 saves on 20 shots and Cape Breton won 5-3.

These two results give him a 5.69 GAA and 0.795 SV% --- not too pretty.

Cape Breton is currently carrying the two veteran goalies, Honzik and Trudeau, and one rookie Bureau... it is likely that one of the veterans will eventually be released or traded.

S_C
Really don't like the Honzik pick. 3rd round 71st overall, not great value at all.

timw33 is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 06:55 PM
  #124
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Really don't like the Honzik pick. 3rd round 71st overall, not great value at all.
Though it seems outside of Keagan Lowe that whole 3rd round is very up in the air still.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
  #125
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Really don't like the Honzik pick. 3rd round 71st overall, not great value at all.
Allowed 2 goals on 3 shots tonight in 7 minutes and got the heave-ho.

arsmaster is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.