Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Johnny Heismanziel Appreciation Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
He's definitely not worthy right now, but Mariota is a guy I think will be a contender in the next couple of years. Just look at his ratings for the past few games (and really all season). There's always gonna be the argument that he's just a product of the system due to playing on Oregon, but he's been really impressive all season for me. Can't even begin to imagine Oregon watching Mariota and Manziel duel for the #1 job.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:20 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Fair enough. Team records do play a huge part in this, more than I'd like them to, but that's not gonna change any time soon.

I don't think he passes enough to be a serious candidate, but he definitely deserves to be mentioned.

With the RB argument though, that's almost every dual threat QB. He still gets at least 15-20 carries a game. You could make the same argument for Manziel, and also that he's been a more consistent runner with less carries per game (15.6 for Manziel, 18.4 for Miller). They're also putting up very similar YPC numbers (Manziel at 6.5, Miller at 6.34). At the same time, Manziel's passing dwarfs Miller's, and while the argument could be made that Miller isn't getting enough attempts, he has a rather poor comp. % and I'm willing to bet his coaches don't trust him throwing the ball that much (haven't watched but a couple games). Take out the disaster against LSU and Manziel looks even better compared to Miller.

Of course, that's only really going by statistics. I'd love to see these two play, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Regardless, Klein's pretty much got this one wrapped up, so there's not much point in debating it.
Yeah, this is Klein's to lose at this point.

Regarding the passing game, from what I've seen, Manziel and Texas A&M throw a lot of screens and passes in the flats which carries into large gains. While Miller throws everything down field. This is just based off what I have seen. One thing Miller does better than Manziel is running in open space and making guys miss.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:41 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post

Regarding the passing game, from what I've seen, Manziel and Texas A&M throw a lot of screens and passes in the flats which carries into large gains. While Miller throws everything down field. This is just based off what I have seen. One thing Miller does better than Manziel is running in open space and making guys miss.
Yea, looking at the yards per throw, that's what I was thinking.

As for the bolded, he's gotta be absolutely amazing at that if he's better than Manziel. That's probably Johnny's best asset as a QB, his ability to make people miss and knowing when he has the space the run.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Manziel's proven he can throw down the field as well. It's simply not something the team likes to do that often (I'm not totally sure why, Manziel can do it and we've got the receivers that can make it happen).

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 11-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:

I don't know....Manziel has impressed me more than Miller lately in that regard.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:17 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

vCash: 1062
Quote:
1. Collin Klein (2,020 YDS 12td 3int, 748 YDS rush 18 TD's)
2. Braxton Miller (1,753 YDS 14 TD's 6 INT's, 1,106 YDS rush 16 TD's)
3. Johnny Manziel (2,780 YDS 18 TD's 6 INT's, 1,014 YDS rush 15 TD's)
4. Marqise Lee (98 Receptions, 1,447 Yards Rec, 13 TD's)
5. Kenjon Barner (1,360 YDS 19 TD's)

Regarding Te'o, if a defensive player is up for the Heisman, they need more than 5.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks. He can be a coverage guy all he wants but his stats aren't that great for a ILB other than INT's.
Damning a player because of the scheme he plays in? Nice.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:54 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Yea, looking at the yards per throw, that's what I was thinking.

As for the bolded, he's gotta be absolutely amazing at that if he's better than Manziel. That's probably Johnny's best asset as a QB, his ability to make people miss and knowing when he has the space the run.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Manziel's proven he can throw down the field as well. It's simply not something the team likes to do that often (I'm not totally sure why, Manziel can do it and we've got the receivers that can make it happen).
Regarding running the ball, Manziel reminds me of Denard when running the ball with loose hips, he's shifty. Miller is a straight ahead runner who actually runs like a HB more than anything with quick feet, then out of nowhere he breaks someones ankles and goes 60 yards for a TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBertho View Post
I don't know....Manziel has impressed me more than Miller lately in that regard.
It's close, Miller is above him in how close he can get to a player and simply break their ankles. That and he can flat out fly once he gets to the 2nd level.

All my gifs for Braxton are too small lol.

Here's an article with gifs comparing the two.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/201...braxton-miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Damning a player because of the scheme he plays in? Nice.
He doesn't make enough plays behind the line to be in consideration and only 5 tackles against BC?

Old
11-11-2012, 01:57 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

5 tackles and an INT

Old
11-11-2012, 03:06 PM
sniugneP

Manziel gets a lot of media attention lately. That's going to hurt Miller a bit.

Plus the fact he plays in SEC, a toughest conference in nation will help him some votes.

Klein will win Heisman anyway. It's his trophy to lose.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:01 PM
invictus

Yeah, unless K-State ***** the bed @Texas and Klein plays a big role in said ********, it is all locked up.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:14 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

oops.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Manziel's also on pace to break Cam Newton's SEC record for all-purpose yards in a year.

If Klein stumbles at all, I think Manziel could end up catching him. That said, he's still got the freshman status. If Manziel were even just a year ahead, it'd be his race to lose at this point.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:26 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:

Manziel's also on pace to break Cam Newton's SEC record for all-purpose yards in a year.

If Klein stumbles at all, I think Manziel could end up catching him. That said, he's still got the freshman status. If Manziel were even just a year ahead, it'd be his race to lose at this point.
Your last sentence. Klein has led his team so far to a undefeated season while Manziel (I am not going to call him Johnny Football bc it's annoying) has lost twice and has been shut down in those games.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Your last sentence. Klein has led his team so far to a undefeated season while Manziel (I am not going to call him Johnny Football bc it's annoying) has lost twice and has been shut down in those games.
And he still put up respectable numbers, especially considering how strong those defenses are.

What Manziel has going for him is a huge late push, while Klein has stayed about the same all year.

My last sentence probably was wrong, but then again, I've never been this excited about any college football player. Ever.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:45 AM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

Quote:
Johnny Football!!!!

Old
11-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Klein is putting up those numbers in a ball control offense, and K-State isn't trying to hit a home run every offensive possession like aggy. Of course Manziel is going to put up inflated numbers in a run and shoot offense. There is a reason why Manziel also has far more turnovers than Klein and has lost far more yards on sacks.

Klein gives his team the best chance to win with his offense and also keeping the opposing team's offense off the field.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Klein is putting up those numbers in a ball control offense, and K-State isn't trying to hit a home run every offensive possession like aggy. Of course Manziel is going to put up inflated numbers in a run and shoot offense. There is a reason why Manziel also has far more turnovers than Klein and has lost far more yards on sacks.

Klein gives his team the best chance to win with his offense and also keeping the opposing team's offense off the field.
Corn Belt Tebow!!!!!!!!!

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:54 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Corn Belt Tebow!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone actually say this? Never seen it besides you.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Does anyone actually say this? Never seen it besides you.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...w#post55149373

Old
11-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
He's gonna lose some votes for letting the WVU defense keep them under 70 points.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
And he still put up respectable numbers, especially considering how strong those defenses are.

What Manziel has going for him is a huge late push, while Klein has stayed about the same all year.

My last sentence probably was wrong, but then again, I've never been this excited about any college football player. Ever.
I think even with the last push, well, it does help when E!SPN shoves him down everyone's throat unlike the rest of the possible Heisman contenders. Honest question, would he be getting this hype right now if he wasn't in the SEC and A&M stayed in the BigXII? One thing that does hurt Manziel is turnovers unlike Klein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Johnny Football!!!!
Mother ****er!

Old
11-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Honest question, would he be getting this hype right now if he wasn't in the SEC and A&M stayed in the BigXII?
The two guys that have had the most Heisman hype this season have been Geno Smith(until the calender hit October) and "Corn Belt Tebow". Both are from the BigXII. If A&M remained in that conference and knocked off K State in Manhattan like they did Bama, yeah he would.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Next up, this guy:

Old
11-17-2012, 10:14 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Tony Gerdeman ‏@GerdOzone
Manti Te'o with a whopping six tackles today. #Heisman

Can we officially drop him out of the race?

Old
11-17-2012, 10:43 PM
sniugneP

Manziel may have a slight lead on Klein right now.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Congrats to Manziel on winning the Heisman.