HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why Ales Hemsky is BEAST

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
  #26
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 500
It's really too bad he suffered so many injuries. He had the talent to be one of the top offensive wingers in the league, just not the build. Last year he looked past his prime, but hopefully he can pick it back up, definitely a fun player to watch when he's "on."

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:50 PM
  #27
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Hemsky is one of the most hated players on HFboards.

One of my favourite Hemsky goals ever is at 0:20... Fluery was stunned.


Oh and I just want you guys to know, who compare his health to DiPietro... Hemsky has played about 100 games in a row since his last injury.

Keep hating.
Well that's clearly not true, he missed 13 games due to injuries last season alone, and not all at once either. I believe he's played about 50 games in a row since his last injury.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 11-17-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: quoted edited post
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:02 PM
  #28
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Well that's clearly not true, he missed 13 games due to injuries last season alone, and not all at once either. I believe he's played about 50 games in a row since his last injury.
He missed games at the start of the season due to not being quite recovered from surgery the year before. He tried but his shoulder was still hurting him so he sat out for a couple weeks...

The only games of hockey he's missed since then was due to a flu or something, he missed a game or two because he was sick, that's it.

Look at his TSN player page if you don't believe me :

So to add it all up

69 NHL games last year
+
9 WHC games
+
21 Czech Extraliga games
=
99 games.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:47 AM
  #29
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He missed games at the start of the season due to not being quite recovered from surgery the year before. He tried but his shoulder was still hurting him so he sat out for a couple weeks...

The only games of hockey he's missed since then was due to a flu or something, he missed a game or two because he was sick, that's it.

Look at his TSN player page if you don't believe me :

So to add it all up

69 NHL games last year
+
9 WHC games
+
21 Czech Extraliga games
=
99 games.
Seems a little biased to be counting international and Czech league games, both of which are less physical than the NHL. Normally when someone refers to an NHL player having played "about 100 games in a row," they're talking about NHL games. Also, while his Czech team has played 21 games, Hemsky himself has played 17, was he injured, or did he just join the team after the start of the season?


Last edited by ponder: 11-16-2012 at 12:54 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
  #30
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 1050
I think what he was trying to say was that you shouldn't describe Hemsky's game as timid. A large part of his injury history can be attributed to the FACT that he goes in the dirty areas and often puts himself in harm's way. His problem is that he doesn't have the build to absorb that kind of punishment.


Last edited by spiny norman: 11-16-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: qdp
Yosemite Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
  #31
bombers15
Registered User
 
bombers15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,871
vCash: 500
One of the more skilled guys in the league, that's for sure. Some of his moves and goals are second to none. He's never been able to fully meet his potential, but he was quite good in the '06 playoffs.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:53 AM
  #32
lampshade*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
One of the more skilled guys in the league, that's for sure. Some of his moves and goals are second to none. He's never been able to fully meet his potential, but he was quite good in the '06 playoffs.
If by more skilled you mean the top 50% of the players then yes I agree. His moves and goals are second to none? Really? Get a grip dude, I see the avatar but come on, second to none? His work ethic is questionable at best. He's the first to leave the ice after practice, he obviously isn't big about hitting the weights and his contract and the no takers reflect this.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:02 AM
  #33
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
If by more skilled you mean the top 50% of the players then yes I agree. His moves and goals are second to none? Really? Get a grip dude, I see the avatar but come on, second to none? His work ethic is questionable at best. He's the first to leave the ice after practice, he obviously isn't big about hitting the weights and his contract and the no takers reflect this.
take your own advice...the vitriol in your posts, and some of the lies that you are posting is in fact comical in nature.
chill out, it's JUST a hockey forum...breathe, in through the nose.....out through the mouth....

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:02 AM
  #34
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
I think what he was trying to say was that you shouldn't describe Hemsky's game as timid. A large part of his injury history can be attributed to the FACT that he goes in the dirty areas and often puts himself in harm's way. His problem is that he doesn't have the build to absorb that kind of punishment.
this

Hemsky may be brittle but he's the furthest thing from soft...ask Robyn Regher

btw...leading his team in points in the Czech league!

EDIT: he also played 69 games last year...not that bad

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:03 AM
  #35
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,754
vCash: 500
I would take Hemsky on the Canucks...I'd probably give up a 2nd or something like that. Not a big fan of his contract though.

He would just be a good fit on our 2nd line next to two guys who already bring physicality (Booth and Kesler).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:08 AM
  #36
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Came to thread for blatant Oiler homerism.

Left satisfied.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM
  #37
lampshade*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this

Hemsky may be brittle but he's the furthest thing from soft...ask Robyn Regher

btw...leading his team in points in the Czech league!

EDIT: he also played 69 games last year...not that bad
He's leading his team in the Czech league, heh awesome.
69gp and 46pts @ 5m/yr that's a player most gms want as was evident last year when the oil tried to get rid of him. I don't understand why oilers fans try to defend everything about the oilers and the city at all costs. At least horcoff is sick at faceoffs right?

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:42 AM
  #38
Hitchslap
Registered User
 
Hitchslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Hemsky is a decent 2nd liner that gives away the puck too much. Beast? Not so much.
This is one of the dumbest things i have ever read on the internet. You just ruined my morning. Kills me to see oiler fans rip on the guy who was the only reason this team wasn't a bottom feeder for years before we became one. ****.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:59 AM
  #39
lampshade*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
This is one of the dumbest things i have ever read on the internet. You just ruined my morning. Kills me to see oiler fans rip on the guy who was the only reason this team wasn't a bottom feeder for years before we became one. ****.
Another serious over exaggeration. Hemsky has only ever scores over 80pts in his career twice. Both with Hull in the Q. I highly doubt he was the only reason. If he was those non bottom feeder days were many moons ago.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:30 PM
  #40
Hitchslap
Registered User
 
Hitchslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Another serious over exaggeration. Hemsky has only ever scores over 80pts in his career twice. Both with Hull in the Q. I highly doubt he was the only reason. If he was those non bottom feeder days were many moons ago.
Without hemsky the oilers had absolutely no top talent at all. He was a large part of the reason why we actually won games a few years ago. And of you call a guy that has put Hemsky's numbers up a second liner, you're absolutely wrong and it's disrespectful to say that to a guy who has given a lot for our organization. I honestly doubt we will see Eberle put up higher point seasons than Hemsky has, but anyone on here will call him a great first liner. He will definitely outscore Hemsky, but Hemsky will create offense on his own a lot better than Eberle.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
  #41
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
This is one of the dumbest things i have ever read on the internet. You just ruined my morning. Kills me to see oiler fans rip on the guy who was the only reason this team wasn't a bottom feeder for years before we became one. ****.

Is anything I said untrue?

When we had no talent, he qualified as a first-liner on a bad team. Now that we have talent, he is clearly a 2nd liner. And he still gives away the puck a ton.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:18 PM
  #42
Hitchslap
Registered User
 
Hitchslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Is anything I said untrue?

When we had no talent, he qualified as a first-liner on a bad team. Now that we have talent, he is clearly a 2nd liner. And he still gives away the puck a ton.
Absolutely it's untrue. A second line caliber player does not put up the point Hemsky did, and there's no arguing that.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
  #43
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Absolutely it's untrue. A second line caliber player does not put up the point Hemsky did, and there's no arguing that.
The guy has never put up a point a game in his NHL career. He had a couple of seasons of 70 but, typically the guy doesn't even put up that much.

On a good team, he is a 2nd liner. He would not get nearly as much powerplay time on a better team and his point totals would be lower because of reduced ice time. He cannot carry a team and is not a leader. He is just a second liner who was given extra ice time and pp time because his team sucked.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:29 PM
  #44
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"
 
Slicknitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The guy has never put up a point a game in his NHL career. He had a couple of seasons of 70 but, typically the guy doesn't even put up that much.

On a good team, he is a 2nd liner. He would not get nearly as much powerplay time on a better team and his point totals would be lower because of reduced ice time. He cannot carry a team and is not a leader. He is just a second liner who was given extra ice time and pp time because his team sucked.
even though much of what you say is true, for the longest time he was the only member of the team who was worth watching. real shame about the injuries, he was very fun to watch and has always been a real hometown guy.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:33 PM
  #45
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The guy has never put up a point a game in his NHL career. He had a couple of seasons of 70 but, typically the guy doesn't even put up that much.

On a good team, he is a 2nd liner. He would not get nearly as much powerplay time on a better team and his point totals would be lower because of reduced ice time. He cannot carry a team and is not a leader. He is just a second liner who was given extra ice time and pp time because his team sucked.
he put up 71pts on a team of nobody's and raw rookies

that's darn good

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:37 PM
  #46
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Seems a little biased to be counting international and Czech league games, both of which are less physical than the NHL. Normally when someone refers to an NHL player having played "about 100 games in a row," they're talking about NHL games. Also, while his Czech team has played 21 games, Hemsky himself has played 17, was he injured, or did he just join the team after the start of the season?
My bad, I wrote 21 which is his point totals instead of 17 which is his games played.

So he's played 95 games in a row, my bad.

It's still encouraging that he's been able to play so many games without being injured.

I don't understand how it's biased?

Well it is unquestionably less physical it's still a nice sign that he didn't get hurt. With the way people talk around here everytime he trips they expect an injury.


Last edited by SephF: 11-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.
SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:34 AM
  #47
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
i use to think ales hemsky was a beast but he can never stay healthy

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:35 PM
  #48
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 1220
People that compare Hemsky to some other oft-injured players don't realize that Hemsky's injury are because he takes an absolute beating. He was easily the most skilled player on the Oilers for a while and other teams would always play him hard. He's not afraid to take a huge hit to make a play.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:51 PM
  #49
tempest2i
Myxomatosis
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I would take Hemsky on the Canucks...I'd probably give up a 2nd or something like that. Not a big fan of his contract though.

He would just be a good fit on our 2nd line next to two guys who already bring physicality (Booth and Kesler).
Preach it brother. Too bad he was signed to one of those back diving contracts to lower his cap hit eh?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:15 PM
  #50
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
He's leading his team in the Czech league, heh awesome.
69gp and 46pts @ 5m/yr that's a player most gms want as was evident last year when the oil tried to get rid of him. I don't understand why oilers fans try to defend everything about the oilers and the city at all costs. At least horcoff is sick at faceoffs right?
$5m/year takes into account the fact that it's a 2 year deal without a no-trade clause

That's not great value for a 55-point player, but the contract takes into account knowledge about his injury situation and past history. If he can recover even a fraction of his former ability, he'll be a steal at $5m.

And his former ability was quite good. Putting up just under a PPG with mediocre offensive players on your line being the focus of every opponent is fantastic.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.