HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
11-06-2012, 12:34 AM
SCritical

vCash: 500
I'm 5'3 and using an intermediate Easton SQ20. By the time I cut it down it's like a 85 flex. The ONLY REASON I can shoot with my puny girl muscles and this stick is that I'm about 170 lb.

I want a junior stick next, probably of something similar. I don't think I should get anything lighter until my shooting technique gets a bit better.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:48 AM
izzy3

I was practicing one-timers yesterday, and my belowed RS started to produce strange shots. I looked at the blade, and sure enough, there's a small crack in it on the bottom, which opens up as soon as I flex the blade with my hand. I guess that's it for the poor thing. It survived 8 months, including summer league and countless shooting practices, so I guess I can't complain.

I guess my next is my Warrior Dolo Dragon, I do not feel like going back to my CL just yet.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Nexus 600 already has a chip out of the toe of the blade. Yikes.

Last night for a backup I took my old XN10 tapered shaft and put a longer plug in it (about an inch below the nose in shoes) and a flattened out Lidstrom wood blade for playing defense. Wasn't half bad except some lag on my shots. Apparently I hit one of my teammates with a shot from the point and his hand went numb

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:32 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

To start I'm 5'9 185lbs

My main stick is a Bauer Nexus 1000/P88/77 flex cut to 85 or so. This is my favorite stick so far. Great in close and it has really good pop on snappers & wristers. It is ok on slappers but it does not have as much pop as my back up: Bauer Total One/P14/77 flex cut the same. I really like my TO as well but I find that the Nexus is better all around.

Honestly there is not really another stick out there at this time that I want to try out. For the first time in a long time I am content. Although if someone wanted to give me an NXG I would not turn them away.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Updates:

Warrior Covert DT-2, 55 flex Kopitar grip

Just got this as the warranty replacement for the Diablo that busted at the heel. It seems slightly lighter and better balanced than the Diablo. Blade looks funky with the different weave in the middle and they've gone back to a gloss coat. The intermediate was about 63" long (!!!) so I chopped off a TON of stick. Left it about 1/2" longer than normal, which is just below my bottom lip in bare feet. Grip finish is slightly ribbed and feels fine, maybe not as tacky as my old Dynasty.

Went 55 flex as the 70 flex low kick sticks have been feeling stiff for me and I don't like to drop my low hand and really lean into shots but let the stick and puck do the work for me. It's whippy, no doubt about it. But when I cut what seemed like 8-10" of stick off it feels good, maybe a hair whippy, but good.

Stickhandling with a Smart Hockey ball, the puck feel is excellent and the balance is excellent as well. Should be great for stickhandling. We'll see about the shooting when I get on the ice next week.

Bauer Nexus 600, 60 flex P92 grip

Used this as my main stick last week. It's a fine stick for the price, but I can definitely tell both the weight and the blade are holding it back from being a real winner (which is expected).

I kept feeling like the blade was broken because the puck was so jumpy and it vibrates too much on the blade. I lost some pucks and passes at the blue line that are normally fine for me, which sucked as it gave away a couple breaks and cost a goal. Yes there's user error but I swear the puck just hops right over and bounces by the blade.

The other kicker is the weight, which is just a bit too much. I actually really like having some heft on the stick for playing defense. I don't feel like it's going to break and can lift/slash with reckless abandon. But there's lag on the shot because the weight throws me off and a little lighter feel would make it a real winner.

It still kicks great and shoots great when you get hold of the puck. The rest of the stick is fantastic.

Bottom line for me so far, if Bauer introduced a Nexus 800 in the $150 price range, I would be all over it. The Nexus 1000 is so light I'd be worried about it breaking (which is more mental than anything else) and of course is $200+. Make an 800 at around 480 grams and use the Vapor 7.0 blade...winner.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
AIREAYE

Depending on how successful the Nexus stick line is, I wouldn't be surprised if Bauer adds another pricepoint product or two, though they would have to be careful in pricing it. The $130-$145 seems interesting to me, as the One80's replacement (One.7) has ascended in price from around $150 to now $170 and there isn't anything between an X4.0 and X6.0 ($100 and $200 respectively)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Depending on how successful the Nexus stick line is, I wouldn't be surprised if Bauer adds another pricepoint product or two,
I hope not. There are too many pricepoints on sticks as it is. Its absolutely ridiculous how many stick skus are out there when you figure in grip/non-grip/left/right/curve, etc.

The Nexus line has been great. You have an entry level stick, an intermediate level that is still a very good stick and the top of the line for those that need/want the best.

Thats all you need. If companies stuck to this pattern on all their sticks there would be plenty to choose from and would make the lives of retailers sooooo much easier.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I am guessing they made the Nexus line to see if it would sell, and next year they'll introduce more price points.

It would make sense to have:

$50 - toy fiberglass stick with a nice paint job (Nexus 400/One.4/X2.0)
$100 - glass/carbon stick, decent but heavy with a meh blade (Nexus 600/One.6/X4.0)
$175 - carbon/glass stick, lighter, nicer blade (Nexus 800/One.8/X6.0)
$250 - full carbon stick, true one-piece, top blade (Nexus 1000/Total One/APX)

If they want to make more price points, that's fine. I won't touch a stick under $100 and the Nexus 600 will be a backup to whatever quality stick I have. I also won't touch a stick over $200 and pretty much only buy clearance sticks for under $125.

I'd disagree the 600 is a good intermediate stick. It's fine for the price point, maybe the best at that level...but there's a $140 gap between the 600 and 1000, which is more than the 600 price! Even the numbering suggests there might have been an 800 at some point that got nixed.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I picked up a Reebok Ai9 85flex from a teammate today when subbing for a 3v3 game on a mini rink. It was free so I didnt have curve choice. Turns out it is a Crosby curve which I wasn't familiar with and couldn't quite decide what I thought it looked like. I know it is listed as an open heel curve, but I also have heard it referred to as looking like a Sakic. The stick itself was uncut and an inch longer than what I have been used to as of late.

I missed warm-ups so it took about 5-10 mins before I got used to the extra length. I have been using a P88 curve (mid/mid-heel closed) and have been getting an itch to try something more open so the new curve was easy to adjust to. Once calibrated, I am a big fan of the stick. Depending on how the durability pans out, I may make a switch from Bauer to Reebok because I liked it so much.

Puck feel is pretty important to me because I like to do a lot of puck moving from the backend. This stick had feel similar to the TO in the ceramic-like sense. I also liked the overal feel of the shaft coming from the tac-spiral. I also really enjoyed the way the stick loaded. I didn't take any slap shots today, but snappers and wristers loaded with ease. I have dropped down in flex to try lower flexes and it didn't load easier in the sense the flex was softer, it just loaded easier. Stick handling and passing still felt like the stick was an 85 if not stiffer. In other words, the stick played stiffer and shot softer.

After all was said and done, I am a big fan of this stick so far. The curve actually reminds me of the Lidstrom/ P02 (heel, square toe), but with a round toe. Both blades are a mid-heel with a hint of toe and slightly open to open. I had previously used the Lidstrom/P02 curve, and really liked it minus the square toe.

Durability pending, I am definitely looking at sticking with Reebok and this model after it breaks.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I thought the Crosby was close to Sakic for the last several years? Usually most Sakic "clones" are just a little more open mid curves. Eastons look a bit more like a mid wedge and the P92 has more curve to it overall.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:02 PM
PaperworkNinja

Oh, I've had a trip in the few short months I've played, mostly due to switching hands.

Started out with a left-hand Easton Synergy ST, Cammalleri/Shanahan P2 blade, 110 flex, chopped 2". So yeah, I started with a 120 flex blade despite being 5'7 220. Loved the curve as it was right at the toe and almost no loft. Tried a Warrior Vandal, Gionta pattern 85 flex and I shot a little better. But it was still chopped and the flex increased. So next I tried an intermediate Vandal 70 flex in the Zetterberg pattern. Better yet. I also have a pro stock CCM U+ CL that I got from the Rivermen equipment sale last summer that was fun, too, but I still wasn't shooting well.

Then I tried a right-hand stick. My shooting and passing went from "garbage" to "meh, with a little practice it'll be adequate." So I went cheapish at first with a Warrior Esquire, Burrows pattern, 70 flex intermediate. I still had to chop an inch and a half off of the stick but my shooting went better. I wanted something closer to my old Easton, though. The closest I could find was a Synergy ST with a Getzlaf pattern in 75 flex. I was hoping the open face of the blade would help me get some lift, but it doesn't yet. My passing has improved tremendously and my backhand shots are getting more and more accurate. (I don't get how my backhand improved so well, but I'll take it.)

If Easton ever uses the P2 pattern again I'll snap it up in a heartbeat if it's a right-hand stick. I think the closed face and toe curve still might be the best for me, though.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I thought the Crosby was close to Sakic for the last several years? Usually most Sakic "clones" are just a little more open mid curves. Eastons look a bit more like a mid wedge and the P92 has more curve to it overall.
It is listed on IW as a mid-heel and HM as a heel but it is more like a hybrid between those and a standard Sakic. Instead of starting the curve in the mid or mid-toe, the curve starts more at the mid-heel and then has a bit or a hint of mid-toe as well.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've always thought of the Sakic as mid, never mid-toe. P92 has a bit more curve that continues into the toe, but I still think of it as a mid. I have seen some Sakics, like older Eastons, that were more of a dramatic kink and almost looked a bit mid-heel.

It's kind of splitting hairs though at that point. The flex and kick of the stick makes more difference than the blade for most of them.

IMO.

Also, sounds like the Ai9 is really close to a One95 in design? Stiffer lower section = more mid-kick, softer blade feel?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
I've always thought of the Sakic as mid, never mid-toe. P92 has a bit more curve that continues into the toe, but I still think of it as a mid. I have seen some Sakics, like older Eastons, that were more of a dramatic kink and almost looked a bit mid-heel.

It's kind of splitting hairs though at that point. The flex and kick of the stick makes more difference than the blade for most of them.

IMO.

Also, sounds like the Ai9 is really close to a One95 in design? Stiffer lower section = more mid-kick, softer blade feel?
I'd agree with this part. It also is a tad heavier than the TO, like the One95, but still well balanced. It feels like it loads easier, but that is also affected by the additional length and difference in curve than I am used to and used on either the TO or One95. I am really curious to see if the flex observations I had (plays stiffer, shoots softer) holds up on a larger rink with harder/longer passes.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Geo73

I'm running with Bauer X:60 Stick'Ums. 87 flex with p02 curves. I'm 6'2 and 220lbs, and play C. I love the grip shaft (my first ever) as well as the fairly high kick of the shaft. I'm a set up guy mostly and the light weight of the stick lets my hands be as manoeuvrable as I like and the puck responds. It fires a stable fast pass across distance and has the feel to throw short backhand saucers just as sweet.

When I shoot its mostly wristers and snappers across my body to the opposite sides, and even though the stick sounds like its too flexible for my weight, I get a ton of speed and accuracy out if it. I even scored my first slapper in a long time last year with it and didn't feel as though I had to hold back incase I put my hand through the stick.

I guess my next set of weapons will be the APX range. My all-time favourite was my Easton Convex with a graphite Lidstrom blade in there. So sweet!

Geo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
wreckless

anyone try the new one.9 yet?

if so how close is it to the one95??

wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:04 AM
izzy3

I'm using my Dolo Dragon (the green with grip) now. Some thoughts after 2 icetimes.

I bought this piece on a bankrupcy sale, so it was cheap as dirt, it has a Kopitar curve, so that's good, but it's a 75 flex intermediate. So far I used 65's so I was concerned with the flex, I also had to cut it 1.5", so it's closer to 78 but I seem to be able to use it without problems. My clappers really got MUCH better, I still look for the sweatspot on the wristers/snaps, as my RS had a totally different loading pattern.

The general feel of the puck is - just like with my old Dolo Spyne - much better than on the RS, but it does feel pingy compared to the RS. Also it requires much softer hands on receiving passes, I fumbled a few rockets in my first two outings, hope to get it under control soon.

Overall it's a good, balanced stick, especially for the price, but I would still rate the RS and the Dolo Spyne higher.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If it's 75 flex it should be a senior stick. 70 flex intermediate.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2012/...tick-review-2/

Funny enough, I stumbled upon a review of my new toy and it is basically spot on to how I feel so far and coincidentally the same exact stick minus the grip.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:59 AM
izzy3

Quote:
You're right man, I guess it's listed as a senior, but the length of it is almost the same as my RS was. I had to cut the RS 1" and this one only .5" more. Besides I do like the thicker shaft, it feels like it's easier to load the stick.

Yesterday got a little chipping started on the bottom of the blade, close to the heel. We'll see how long it holds up.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
You're right man, I guess it's listed as a senior, but the length of it is almost the same as my RS was. I had to cut the RS 1" and this one only .5" more. Besides I do like the thicker shaft, it feels like it's easier to load the stick.

Yesterday got a little chipping started on the bottom of the blade, close to the heel. We'll see how long it holds up.
Anytime I get some chipping starting whether the toe or middle of the blade (never had it at the heel), I put a couple layers of super glue to seal it. The chipping usually stops after that.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:59 AM
markisonfire

Quote:
For what it's worth, the flex of a stick doesn't mean much. They very wildly from brand and even model of stick within a brand. Companies are toying with the idea of having different flexes for forehand and backhand shots. The difference between a 70 flex and 75 flex is negligible at best.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:07 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Anytime I get some chipping starting whether the toe or middle of the blade (never had it at the heel), I put a couple layers of super glue to seal it. The chipping usually stops after that.
Gonna try that, thanks for the tip!

Old
11-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Ozz

Just picked up a RBK 4K Sickick III. Didn't want to spend much on a new stick to toy with, and considering I usually use aluminum sticks I figured I pretty much can't go wrong at all.

It came down to this one and a Nexus 400 at the price point I was comfortable spending, but the store didn't have the Nexus in the curve I wanted and weren't sure when they could get it (pfft!)

I could definitely realize the quick release and extra 'snap' from my snap and wrist shots, so that was nice. I only took a couple slappers in warmups and didn't really get into my groove, but I never take them in games anyway so I don't care much.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:26 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
For what it's worth, the flex of a stick doesn't mean much. They very wildly from brand and even model of stick within a brand. Companies are toying with the idea of having different flexes for forehand and backhand shots. The difference between a 70 flex and 75 flex is negligible at best.
that's only true if the lengths of the sticks are the same(and obviously within the same product line). there has always been a 3" difference between warrior sr. and int. sticks even back when their stock sr. lengths were 60". now the stock lengths are 63" and 60". when you cut down that sr. stick to the int. length, it will make the stick feel roughly a flex stiffer than the stated flex.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote