HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

OT- Just got home from our new arena.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Islander102

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
" As far as going home, caught the #3 train at 1045pm, was lucky enough to get to Penn Station at 11:11, because the Port Washington train leaves at 11:18, was in my apartment at 12 midnight exactly. So 1:15 commute from Barclay's arena to my apartment in Great Neck. Not bad."

Do you have to go into Penn to come back to the Island? I was under the impression you can catch the LIRR right from Barclays.
You can, unless you live on the Port Washington line. All other lines service Barclays.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Times that by 5 and you might be close. The weeknights of 7K at NVMC will be OVER. DONE. Just like NYI in nassau.

Beer was $9 for a Stella but I was happy to give the extra concession money to Mr. Ratner/AEG for building and running a fine arena which resulted in NYI staying local.
you don't know how many people will be going to game sin brooklyn and when the isles are competitive they sell tickets, and i know the ceiling at nvmc was made low on purpose, it gave it a better atmosphere

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Question

For anyone who has been to Barclays, do you think the upper level seats resemble that of the upper level seats at the Rock? By the OP's description, that's what it sounds like and if true then I'd be more than satisfied with that. I've been to 3 games in Jersey and always sit up top, the top down view is very cool and lets you see everything going on pretty easily.

I'm so excited for the move honestly, no more BS
They're both lower and closer than the upper bowl seats at Prudential. Slightly lower vertically, and substantially closer horizontally.

The best comparison would be along the sides, the view is just about identical to the upper bowl at TD garden in Boston, and behind the net (on the unobstructed end) the MTS centre in Winnipeg, as the upper bowl drops lower behind the net.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:37 PM
scott99

Guys and gals, just found a link that shows all of the vendors at Barclays, there truly is something for everyone.

http://www.barclayscenter.com/getting-here/dining

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
the design sucks for hockey, way too tall and the cieling is to high, it wont be as loud as nvmc, but ill deal with it
I'll just never understand why Ratner & Co didn't design the arena to be even a bit more NHL friendly. If you're going to spend literally a BILLION dollars on an arena in this day and age it should be able to host any type of event comfortably, and I think we're going to be anywhere from mildly to very disappointed in the hockey setup.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:37 PM
scott99

I disagree that the design sucks for hockey. I think it will be a close up and loud environment for hockey. The middle section looks great for hockey, and the upper deck reminds me of the Boston Garden, right in top of the action. I think I would have gone to a hockey game there if the Russians had not have pulled out. Either way, if the NHL is back for next season, I'm sure the Isles will play an exhibition game there, and I will surely go.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:10 PM
leaponover

That top down view is brutal if you are ever hungover. I caught an afternoon game in Boston on a trip and seriously thought I was going to vomit and felt unsteady walking up those steep steps. I'm surprised more people don't get hurt...i felt i needed a harness and rock climbing gear.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:27 PM
lost35*

my dad want to a concert at Barclays last month and all he could talk about was how horrible and steep those upper level seats are

I am sure for older people it is worse

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:46 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
my dad want to a concert at Barclays last month and all he could talk about was how horrible and steep those upper level seats are

I am sure for older people it is worse
Well I will say this, the arena was packed ! Even the upper deck section, you didn't see an empty seat. And since it was the Who, there were a lot of oldish fans, including myself (I'm 50). I guess I should take myself ou of the equation when it comes to talking about the upper deck, since I was basically on the Ice (floor seats), but it sure reminded me of the old Boston Garden (I might be wrong), and having only had seats in Boston Garden's upper deck, it was the best view I've ever had of a hockey game while in an arena's upper deck. Hopefully it's very similar.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Long time no see guys!

My review of Barclays:

- Wow that arena is beautiful. You walk in, and it's just SO modern. They have 1000000 food stands - everything from kosher deli to your typical arena food. The concourses feel 2x bigger than the Coliseum. It's a little awkwardly shaped because of the octagon, but once you know you're way around it will be real easy to navigate.

- Subway/LIRR HUB was just about the easiest thing in the world. Took the 2 down from 34th St, was there in 22 minutes (I timed it). You follow the giant signs that say BARCLAYS CENTER. Walk up stairs, and you are literally standing right in front of the arena. That's it. There's no weird turns, you're literally just right there. Getting back to the city was just as easy. With all of the transit hubs right there, there's no ridiculous 7 Train after Met games type situation. Also, I could see on the LIRR map that trains were heading back to Far Rockaway and the Main Line (Ronkonkoma/PJ line), but didn't see the whole screen.

- Seating: It's high, but it doesn't *feel* high. Very intimate setting. I was sitting in the upper corner of the "good side," most of the way up, and I was still looking straight at the Jumbotron. The sightlines were perfect for basketball, and will actually be very good for hockey. Because the arena goes up, you can see the court/rink much easier than out. For example, last night I sat behind a guy that was probably about 5'11"/6'0" tall. I'm about 5'7" on a good day - so a clear height disadvantage. I had literally no problem whatsoever seeing the entire game because of the height of the seats and rows. Oh, and every seat has a cup holder.

- Atmosphere was fantastic. Place was very loud at the end of the close game. For hockey, it will be insane - especially during playoff time. Unlike the Coliseum, they spotlight on the playing surface - so all of the rest of the arena feels pitch black. It's like a spectacle, an event you want to be at. This is going to work GREAT with the white ice - will make for great contrast.

- As an FYI, there is plenty of room in the rafters for all our stuff. I have to admit I was picturing it last night. Got the chills, real big smile on my face.

Bottom line - I absolutely cannot wait until we call this place home. If I had any doubts about it, I don't anymore. Yes, there will be problems, and yes, there are some big imperfections attached to it, but the positives WAY outweigh the negatives here. I just can't wait.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:24 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm17 View Post
After you have a couple of L&B's sicilian slices, be sure to have some pistachio spumoni. You won't be sorry. It's unbelievable!
Is this the same as Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn? If so, the last time I had that spumoni was probably 35 years ago, and I still remember it. The best dessert food I've ever eaten.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
My hope re: any new arena for the Isles was that it would not be a big, spacious bowl like the Wells Fargo Center and a lot of the other newer arenas. IMO, at the WFC when you're in the upper section you feel very removed from the game. So if Barclays is steeper and tighter, that's a positive IMO.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Degeneration Rex

You guys a making me hungry when you brought up L&B.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Thanks for the great reviews everyone. I am ready to skip 2013, 2014, 2015 and get right to the start of the 2015-2016 season in our new home.

11-16-2012, 10:41 AM
OpAck

One of the things that was on my brain was with regards to the banners...ALL of them. I'm counting 9 player-related banners (6 Retired, Arbour, Torrey, NYI HoF), 4 Cup banners, then what...15 conference/division champion banners? That's almost 30 banners. It "filled in" the dilapidated Coliseum very well...but I just wonder if all 15 division/conference banners would be overkill in the new Barclays.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
One of the things that was on my brain was with regards to the banners...ALL of them. I'm counting 9 player-related banners (6 Retired, Arbour, Torrey, NYI HoF), 4 Cup banners, then what...15 conference/division champion banners? That's almost 30 banners. It "filled in" the dilapidated Coliseum very well...but I just wonder if all 15 division/conference banners would be overkill in the new Barclays.
There are like 4 banners there now for the Nets, lol. They might have room to accomodate the Isle's stuff.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Islanders1932

I'm really wondering how the arena will look while watching on t.v. Is the entire one side blocked out or just the upper deck on the one side?

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
There are like 4 banners there now for the Nets, lol. They might have room to accomodate the Isle's stuff.
Actually, judging from the pics, it looks like the Nets have around 16 banners. We could be pushing 50 banners hanging from the rafters when the Isles move in...in the hopes that they'll add alot more. I'm just saying, it might be overkill.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
NyIsles19

How was the pricing on the food and beer? Is it as bad as NVMC?

NyIsles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Actually, judging from the pics, it looks like the Nets have around 16 banners. We could be pushing 50 banners hanging from the rafters when the Isles move in...in the hopes that they'll add alot more. I'm just saying, it might be overkill.
Well, if they start winning more cups, maybe they can retire some of those old Patrick Division Champions banners.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'll just never understand why Ratner & Co didn't design the arena to be even a bit more NHL friendly. If you're going to spend literally a BILLION dollars on an arena in this day and age it should be able to host any type of event comfortably, and I think we're going to be anywhere from mildly to very disappointed in the hockey setup.
3 reasons

1- Financial restrictions caused Ratner to scale back from the original design. He barely beat the economic disaster and almost couldn't build anything.

2- The neighborhood didn't want the building extending much further than it is and fought it.

3- Ratner and others never thought LI would be so incompetent to not get a new arena built and thought the Lighthouse project would be built. Who turns $3 billion private funding down? That would look pretty good now in the aftermath of the recession and the storm damage. He never knew K Murray and her puppet masters were as clueless as they are.

The hockey setup will be fine. An accidental gem. Have you been to Barclay's yet?

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
That's what I'm concerned about as well. The advantage I see is that the Isles probably can average 13000 a night minimum without giving away tickets or offering deep discounts.

Wonder where the Isles will end up after 2040. Will the Barclays go through a major renovation to accommodate hockey, or will the Isles move elsewhere? I hope the Isles stay in the New York City side of Long Island.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
you don't know how many people will be going to game sin brooklyn and when the isles are competitive they sell tickets, and i know the ceiling at nvmc was made low on purpose, it gave it a better atmosphere
Oh please. It won't take much for Brooklyn to have more people than "LI" attend. Mass transit, city vibe, access to bigger potential population, marketing, media. Just look at the Nets compared to NJ.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Long time no see guys!

My review of Barclays:

- Wow that arena is beautiful. You walk in, and it's just SO modern. They have 1000000 food stands - everything from kosher deli to your typical arena food. The concourses feel 2x bigger than the Coliseum. It's a little awkwardly shaped because of the octagon, but once you know you're way around it will be real easy to navigate.

- Subway/LIRR HUB was just about the easiest thing in the world. Took the 2 down from 34th St, was there in 22 minutes (I timed it). You follow the giant signs that say BARCLAYS CENTER. Walk up stairs, and you are literally standing right in front of the arena. That's it. There's no weird turns, you're literally just right there. Getting back to the city was just as easy. With all of the transit hubs right there, there's no ridiculous 7 Train after Met games type situation. Also, I could see on the LIRR map that trains were heading back to Far Rockaway and the Main Line (Ronkonkoma/PJ line), but didn't see the whole screen.

- Seating: It's high, but it doesn't *feel* high. Very intimate setting. I was sitting in the upper corner of the "good side," most of the way up, and I was still looking straight at the Jumbotron. The sightlines were perfect for basketball, and will actually be very good for hockey. Because the arena goes up, you can see the court/rink much easier than out. For example, last night I sat behind a guy that was probably about 5'11"/6'0" tall. I'm about 5'7" on a good day - so a clear height disadvantage. I had literally no problem whatsoever seeing the entire game because of the height of the seats and rows. Oh, and every seat has a cup holder.

- Atmosphere was fantastic. Place was very loud at the end of the close game. For hockey, it will be insane - especially during playoff time. Unlike the Coliseum, they spotlight on the playing surface - so all of the rest of the arena feels pitch black. It's like a spectacle, an event you want to be at. This is going to work GREAT with the white ice - will make for great contrast.
- As an FYI, there is plenty of room in the rafters for all our stuff. I have to admit I was picturing it last night. Got the chills, real big smile on my face.

Bottom line - I absolutely cannot wait until we call this place home. If I had any doubts about it, I don't anymore. Yes, there will be problems, and yes, there are some big imperfections attached to it, but the positives WAY outweigh the negatives here. I just can't wait.
Good points. It's dark ceiling and walls are like a movie theater and the focus is on the playing surface instead of Sparky with kids in empty seats. Loud for sure, playoffs will be deafining. Seating is right on top of action for sure.

I watched the Nets game last night. With no hockey I've been getting into b-ball and Nets/Knicks are good. I watch the Nets sometimes just to see the arena.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyIsles19 View Post
How was the pricing on the food and beer? Is it as bad as NVMC?
Pretty pricey like NVMC, BUT, the choices are WAY better, I listed the vendors in a link on page 1, great choices of foods. I THINK the beer was $8.50