HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Crazy new Sports bar coming to ByWard Market from MLSE?

Old
11-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
this thread is getting a little ridiculous.

(just don't go there. k?)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
so if we go to the the air canada center to watch the Sens play, are we bad fans (and horrible people) for giving our money to Toronto and MLSE?
cuz i would go the bar for the same reason, to grab a beer and watch a Sens game...

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

LOL, it's a bar.

I'll judge it on the service, the ambience and the beer list.

Life's too short to give up on a great bar because of who owns it.

Now, if it sucks, and is overpriced, and some here have said that, obviously I'll let my wallet go elsewhere.

Besides, it's not as if MLSE's economic advantage has translated to the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz
Myself, I prefer taverns, hole in the walls with microbrews on tap, etc over the big sports bar style owned by a large corporation.

Ive traveled to quite a few arena's for Ottawa games and I tend to find a lot of large cookie cutter sports bars right next to the arena to not be that good. If you do some internet or even an app like yelp research, you can find some cool bars close by that a lot of the "local" fans go to, you meet some cool people and usually have a good time.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Smash88

This thread is hilarious. To each their own...

So when does this place open?

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
I really dont understand the posters mocking those who have stated that they wont support Real Sports. What's the deal? You spend hours and hours and have thousands and thousands of posts mostly about the Ottawa Senators, but you now take the low road and mock those who are putting their money where their mouths/heart are.
Seriously? We are being told we arent real fans because we dont have an unhealthy hatred for a bar that isnt even open yet.

But yea...WE are the ones mocking.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
This thread is hilarious. To each their own...

So when does this place open?
Big red carpet thing tomorrow night, tickets only it seems... Then official grand opening next week I think

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:50 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Big red carpet thing tomorrow night, tickets only it seems... Then official grand opening next week I think
On the 19th if I remember correctly. I was really hoping it'd be open for Georges St. Pierre's fight this Saturday. Oh well.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
On the 19th if I remember correctly. I was really hoping it'd be open for Georges St. Pierre's fight this Saturday. Oh well.
Sweet.. Place will probably be insanely packed for the first few months, I'll probably wait till the new year to go, but I'm definitely excited for this place...

Old
11-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Thanks!

Old
11-14-2012, 09:29 AM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Sweet.. Place will probably be insanely packed for the first few months, I'll probably wait till the new year to go, but I'm definitely excited for this place...
Same here. I'll wait a bit. I've heard mixed reviews about the one in TO, but then again plenty of places have high prices and subpar service, so I'll wait and see for myself.

That said, this might be a killer place to catch the NFL on Sundays. Not much variewty in Ottawa when it comes to that.

I gotta laugh at all the hate in here though. Jeez, it's not like it's the end of the world. I've been to Bert's at SBP and liked it. Cool atmosphere. I'd even go again. Even though I think Melnyk is a complete tool, he's got a nice place. It's great to go there before/after concerts. If he'd open one downtown, I'd probably go more often.

Last edited by EDDIE20*: 11-14-2012 at 09:40 AM.
EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:15 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Mendes is tweeting that Sens games are prioritized over Leaf games '100% of the time', according to the CEO.

11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Grungy Remnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Mendes is tweeting that Sens games are prioritized over Leaf games '100% of the time', according to the CEO.
now just PLAY ON!

Grungy Remnant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
And what about detroit, edmonton, montreal, minnesota, florida, nyi, phi, boston, etc etc?

I hope those are prioritzed over leaf games too.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:45 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Apparently MLSE fails as badly at opening a bar as they do at running a hockey team......

http://theottawabreakfastclub.blogsp...nt-advice.html

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:08 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
And what about detroit, edmonton, montreal, minnesota, florida, nyi, phi, boston, etc etc?

I hope those are prioritzed over leaf games too.
They arent at any other bar in the city...Not even Berts or Silver Seven.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Pitlick

Should the season be cancelled, this MLSE bar will be just one of many businesses I boycott forever, including Chris Phillips' bar.

If the NHL season is cancelled, I will not spend 1 dime ever on NHL or NHLPA products ever again. I hope to see 4-10 American teams fold, NHL revenues (and salaries) to be cut in at least half.

F them all.

Pitlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
If the NHL season is cancelled, I will not spend 1 dime ever on NHL or NHLPA products ever again. I hope to see 4-10 American teams fold, NHL revenues (and salaries) to be cut in at least half.

F them all.
Yeah, F them all (except for the Canadian teams, which I still care about even though I don't care about any teams anymore).

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:38 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

People who are getting excited over this bar will be grossly disappointed. Real Sports in Toronto is a ****** magnet because you know, overpaying for things makes you 'cool'.

I'll check it out, but I'm sure its just going to be a smaller version of its trendy cousin. I can see people in Ottawa avoiding it in the long run. We're a more humble folk than our cousins down the 401.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Attended the opening last night and was very impressed. There are different seating areas, many, many televisions, a whole light system for when the home team scores, very big bars upstairs and downstairs, etc.

They were serving apps and drinks all night, samples of what will be on the menu. What I tried was very good, smoked salmon roll, wings, pulled pork sliders, oysters (from The Whalesbone) and others. Large beer selection as well. Not sure what the prices will be like as everything was free last night, so I'll wait and see what those are like.

Should be a great place to catch the Sens game, but the true appel of the place, it'll be NFL Sunday heaven!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Anyone know if Real Sports plays the fights?

Figure they do.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Attended the opening last night and was very impressed. There are different seating areas, many, many televisions, a whole light system for when the home team scores, very big bars upstairs and downstairs, etc.

They were serving apps and drinks all night, samples of what will be on the menu. What I tried was very good, smoked salmon roll, wings, pulled pork sliders, oysters (from The Whalesbone) and others. Large beer selection as well. Not sure what the prices will be like as everything was free last night, so I'll wait and see what those are like.

Should be a great place to catch the Sens game, but the true appel of the place, it'll be NFL Sunday heaven!
How was the beer selection? It'll obviously have the big names but did you happen to see any micro brews on the menu?

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

How the hell would a guy like you get in?

Wink face

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:37 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
LOL, it's a bar.

I'll judge it on the service, the ambience and the beer list.

Life's too short to give up on a great bar because of who owns it.

Now, if it sucks, and is overpriced, and some here have said that, obviously I'll let my wallet go elsewhere.

Besides, it's not as if MLSE's economic advantage has translated to the ice.

And I also love Portlandia! But yeah I concur that came off a little snobbish, but I can't help it, it's what I like. Also, I'll add to the Portlandia vibe in that the greatest invention in taverns and stuff is the electronic jukeboxes they put in a lot of them now, you basically can play any musician you want.

I bet this MLSE bar would be better if they put a bird on it.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
And I also love Portlandia! But yeah I concur that came off a little snobbish, but I can't help it, it's what I like. Also, I'll add to the Portlandia vibe in that the greatest invention in taverns and stuff is the electronic jukeboxes they put in a lot of them now, you basically can play any musician you want.

I bet this MLSE bar would be better if they put a bird on it.
Love the electronic jukeboxes! A pretty cool/full of character pub here in Ottawa with one of those is Connor's Pub - Bank St & McLaren. Can't think of anywhere else around town where I've seen or used one.

http://connorsgaelicpub.com/

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:

You are a bad person.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote