HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke sleeping on the street to raise awareness for homelessness in Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Bob Baun
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
http://www.globaltoronto.com/brian+b...580/story.html

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/statu...69040361504769

Say what you want about the guy's management job of the Leafs so far, but he's a hell of a person and does a lot of great things not just for hockey, but for the city of Toronto.

Good job Burkie!
Great, great... Mayby next year he could find some time to show up at the trade deadline.... you know.... if he's not too busy with the troops and marching in parades. It's all great p.r. to take the focus off of the horrible job that he's done so far. But we hired this guy to do a job. Work first, look for publicity later.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:44 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baun View Post
Great, great... Mayby next year he could find some time to show up at the trade deadline.... you know.... if he's not too busy with the troops and marching in parades. It's all great p.r. to take the focus off of the horrible job that he's done so far. But we hired this guy to do a job. Work first, look for publicity later.
No trade deadline this year Shack, lockout is on.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:44 AM
G51 K81*

my friend was down there and overheard Burke talking to Gillis on the phone. Saw that Burke had a Luongo background picture on his phone. Luongo to the Leafs e4.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:46 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by agropop View Post
Great GM, and an even better person.
I agree!

Old
11-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
It always makes me chuckle when I hear people try the Harold Ballard comparison. I'm extremely happy to have someone represent the organization as he does. While the results may not be there yet, at least I'm not embarassed as a human being to associate myself with the Leafs like I was when Ballard was around.
LOL...so true! If 'Pal Hal" was still in charge...Kessel,Lupul and others would be gone!! Better to trade than to pay.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:51 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Why is he sleeping outdoors instead of scouting overseas or something rabble rabble smh

Old
11-16-2012, 10:57 AM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
you want to help the homeless? lower ticket prices
paying for Leaf tickets is how some people end up depressed and homeless
I lol'ed. Ladies and gentlemen we have found the leading cause lf homelessness in Toronto...prices of Leafs tickets.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Ari91

Hats off to Burke and all of those participating. To take it a step further and actually spend a night like a homeless person to experience their pains, especially with the colder nights upon us - wonderful message and cause.

If there's one thing I can always compliment Burke on, it's his dedication to supporting community causes. This is the most sincere thing I've seen in the midst of this lockout fiasco.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

The thing that homeless people need most is money, as its the lack there of that is forcing them into their current predicament.

Therefore raising awareness for the homeless that benefits them most are actions that provide them with room and perhaps board through financial assistance during their time of need, and not joining them on the streets. IMO

Even handing out blankets and jackets would improve their situation, by improving their comfort levels to raise awareness for their plight.

While its nice Burke is involved, reaching into his own deep pockets would help more.

11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
EDDIE20*

Who says Burke won't also donate financially?

I have to laugh at the hate he gets. Some really do go overboard. Making him out to be some sort of ogre who only likes to hear himself talk. He is human after all and gestures like this prove it.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The thing that homeless people need most is money, as its the lack there of that is forcing them into their current predicament.

Therefore raising awareness for the homeless that benefits them most are actions that provide them with room and perhaps board through financial assistance during their time of need, and not joining them on the streets. IMO

Even handing out blankets and jackets would improve their situation, by improving their comfort levels to raise awareness for their plight.

While its nice Burke is involved, reaching into his own deep pockets would help more.
I was wondering how people would be critical of this

Fact is if he just handed out blankets or donated, nobody would probably notice. Doing this can help more as now it has made it through the news.

Last edited by Grant: 11-16-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
11-16-2012, 11:31 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I was wondering how people would be critical of this
Which helps the homeless more? A gesture or a blanket?

That said, great on Burke for helping raise awareness. I may not like his GM skills, but he does his share of work in the community.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Which helps the homeless more? A gesture or a blanket?

That said, great on Burke for helping raise awareness. I may not like his GM skills, but he does his share of work in the community.
I would think high profiled gestures would lead to greater donations.

I'm guessing Burke didn't just decide to go sleep outside but was asked to by some organization to help raise awareness. I bet he through in some cash too.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Ballard was an owner. Burke is a GM. Unfortunate Burke is the face of the team. Not unlike Ballard.
I'm looking for a point in there but failing to see one.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I'm looking for a point in there but failing to see one.
Fishing trip.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Hate the way he's handled the team, but I have incredible respect for him as a person. Keep on keeping on you grey haired devil

Old
11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:

You mean like the $500,000 that this event raised?

"Bruce Rivers, executive director of Covenant House, said the event raised more than $500,000 in donations to support the estimated 3,500 youth who turn to the shelter for help each year in Toronto."

Burke was on the radio promoting this event and asking for donations. Unless you are his accountant you really have no idea what he has donated to. Not liking his hockey decisions is one thing but comments such as yours takes it to a whole new level of blind hate.

How much did you donate to the cause?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
EDDIE20*

Amazing that some can chastise him for this. Then again, in the eyes of some, Burke can never do enough or do anything right, so it's par for the course.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Ari91

Quote:

You don't know that Burke hasn't financially invested in the cause. Your closing comment comes across as extremely petty and seems like you couldn't give credit without the criticism accompanying it.

Awareness is far more important than one time donations. Raising awareness can turn that small group of people who donate and buy blankets and pillows to hand out into a larger group. That means more volunteers, more access to money and resources, etc.

Thinking that reaching into your pockets alone is the most important thing you can do is the a very short sighted solution to the problem.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Brian Burke is the man.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
you want to help the homeless? lower ticket prices
paying for Leaf tickets is how some people end up depressed and homeless
Awful attempt at a 'joke'.

Great to see Burke.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. It'd be better if Burke gave money? Who's to say he doesn't give a ton.

Good for Burke.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

When you saw the article did you think oh what a great guy Burke is, or how can I help and where can I donate money to help these homeless youths which is really what this is about?.

There isn't even an address or contact for Covenant House in the article who put on the event to raise money or info for others to help out and donate.

A publicity stunt is more about the individual than the cause as it brings attention to themselves by their actions. Not saying there is anything wrong with supporting a good cause itself, but one can't lose focus about what its really all about.

To fight poverty if that was your charity of choice do you think starving oneself to see what its like to go hungry, or donating $$ to ease their suffering has the greater effect and good for their misfortune is all I'm saying here?.

If your take away from the article was Burke is such a great guy, than perhaps you missed the point of the event itself, as its not about the individual but the cause itself that is supposed to be the one that is intended to be made aware of.

Last edited by Mess: 11-16-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Haha came to post the exact same thing.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:00 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
When you saw the article did you think oh what a great guy Burke is, or how can I help and where can I donate money to help these homeless youths which is really what this is about?.

There isn't even an address or contact for Covenant House in the article who put on the event to raise money or info for others to help out and donate.

A publicity stunt is more about the individual than the cause as it brings attention to themselves by their actions. Not saying there is anything wrong with supporting a good cause itself, but one can't lose focus about what its really all about.

To fight poverty if that was your charity of choice do you think starving oneself to see what its like to go hungry, or donating $$ to ease their suffering has the greater effect and good for their misfortune is all I'm saying here?.

If your take away from the article was Burke is such a great guy, than perhaps you missed the point of the event itself, as its not about the individual but the cause itself that is supposed to be the one that is intended to be made aware of.
So now Brian Burke is responsible for what the Canaidan Press writes?

His name was only actually mentioned twice in the entire article, most of it is about the cause. As someone earlier said, they raised over $500000 so I'm not sure what you're whining about. The executives that took part in this could've quietly made a private donation (in all reality if they were willing to do this I'd bet all of them donated), but that would not have had nearly the effect. This got the cause in the public eye, it raised a lot of money and it raised awareness. Education is one of the most important tools in maintaining a cause. That's why the people in charge of events like this, people whose job it is to help this cause, don't just go around door to door asking for money. They put on events like this that raise money and put the issue in the public eye. It's an issue a lot of people like to ignore or pretend doesn't exist, but this throws it out there.

You are acting like Brian Burke just on a whim decided to randomly sleep outside as a publicity stunt, whereas this was a focused effort to raise money and awareness for the cause. You're acting like they didn't raise any money here... The fact that they raised so much money in one night proves that events like these are successful and extremely useful for youths suffering from homelessness in Toronto.

Closed Thread